The Crying Game

By FarFromReality03

Brandon Call was a once powerful teen. But when all crumbles down, he flees to La Push in hopes to reclaim ev... More

Cast
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Seven

1.8K 70 4
By FarFromReality03

I guess things work a lot better when you talk things through.

The first step for Paul to get his life back on track –the best way he knew how- was to clean his house. I offered to help in any way, he accepted, and it was a bit different atmosphere once we began talking.

He told me about how he inherited the house from his grandma after his father practically left him to fend for himself. He started taking care of himself at a young age, so independence wasn't anything new for him. He was sure that it was enough for Rachel, for him to take care of her the way he wanted to, but somehow he was giving the shitty hand of the deck.

He also mentioned his dad was deadbeat according to him, but at least he stayed. He never knew his mom, and his grandma passed before he reached his teens.

It saddened me to hear that all of his life he had been rejected. I could relate, but not to that degree. He wasn't even sure if he had any siblings, and he admitted that he didn't want to know. If his dad was somewhere out there raising another family, he didn't want to get to know them.

The man was seriously damaged.

He then asked about me, and how I grew up blindly in the supernatural world until one day I accidentally shattered a table full of science beakers. I didn't know it was me at the time, just that something freaky was going on at Mystic High.

I told him how I was always told that my parents were killed in a car accident -only to eventually find out that vampires murdered them.

My hatred of vampires grew, and coincidentally, those vampires returned, and I made it my attempt to get rid of them in any way possible. But they were seeking out my help to go against one of their enemies. That's when shit got weird. And that's when Tyler came into my life.

I explained that Tyler was a wolf too, somewhat a shapeshifter, but mostly a child of the moon, or more like a slave to the moon. He didn't look like a werewolf, but an actual wolf. He could only change under the full moon and was making the effort to shift at any time that he could. But it all summed up to him being cursed. I explained how Tyler had to kill an innocent in order to embrace his heritage. Because Tyler had been so angry and clumsy, it happened when he took the life of some desperate girl trying to get in his pants.

I guess Paul could see the jealousy seething off of me. He actually smirked and laughed to himself.

When he asked about the vampires back in Mystic Falls, I had to admit that there were some differences, but it all summed up to being bitten to be changed. A bite always triggers it, whether a vampire feeding or is aiming to, eventually, a human can become one, unless a vampire who is strong enough, removes the venom themselves.

I hated vampires; I made it clear to him too. That was one thing that we agreed on. That's when he began telling me about how Jacob imprinting on a hybrid all started.

"Her name was Isabella Swan, police chief's daughter, and all-around shit-stirrer." He explained in a disgusted tone. "I knew she was trouble from the beginning, and I told Sam too. But we couldn't ban a human from the reservation, so no one could stop anyone from interacting with her. So I tried my best to ignore her, and it was easy in the beginning, that was until Jacob started bringing her around. All because she lost her pathetic leech boyfriend."

"Leech boyfriend?"

"She started dating one of the Cullen's kids, who she discovered was a vampire." He explained.

"And she still dated the guy knowing the risks."

"I knew she was stupid and desperate from the beginning." He spoke with anger.

"Sounds kind of like Elena Gilbert," I mumbled, "she was a girl who fell for the Salvatore brothers, both vampires. But in the beginning she resented them, but soon fell to there spell and eventually became one of them."

"Exactly how she was, selfish because she couldn't choose between him and Jacob." He continued, "well actually, Jacob being the poor sap that he is, desperately wanted Bella to love him and tried everything in his power to win her over, but she chose the leech in the end."

"How does the hybrid fit in?" I asked, interested.

"After the leech married the girl, she got knocked up while away on their honeymoon and while she was still human." He smirked, "the vermin almost killed her from the inside, and Jacob was still holding onto a dream that we thought was ridiculous. He separated from the pack in order to protect the Cullen's, bringing Seth and Leah with him. We couldn't attack as long as they had those advantages. So when we heard the demon-child was born and had killed Bella, we had no choice but to kill the thing. Even Jacob was back on our side until he imprinted on the thing."

"He imprinted on his crushes kid? An infant? A child? That's disgusting." I said grossed out.

"Wait, don't sell him short, Quil also imprinted on two-year-old at the time," he added, "but from what I could understand, they become more of their protectors, like a big brother until they are old enough to choose whether they accept them as a mate or just a friend."

"But wouldn't it harm them if they were rejected as a mate, doesn't that defeat the purpose?" I asked.

"Which is why they choose not to age until their imprints can catch up to them." He shrugged, "eventually it'll take over and they will falter to the imprint."

I could see the disappointment in his expressions. I knew exactly how he felt at the mention of an imprint returning the emotions. Rachel hadn't, and to him, that was like a slap in the face. Now it was as if he was constantly stabbed in the gut because he lost someone that is supposed to define his existence.

"So I'm guessing everyone accepted the imprint?"

"We had no choice." Paul shrugged again, "pack law states that we can't harm a pack member's imprint, and because he was attached to her, we had to stand down. Which caused more trouble for the rest of us."

"How so?" I wondered.

"The Volturi." He stated. "They discovered the kid's existence and assumed that she was immortal. It was their obligation to dispose of her, and if she wasn't Jacob's imprint, we wouldn't have had to get involved, but then it turned into something more. They became a threat to our people, and if they were ever to kill the girl, they'd end up killing our alpha, Jacob."

"Jacob's your alpha?" I asked confused, "I thought Sam was."

"He is." He continued. "But Jacob was born into the role, and at the time, he took upon the role and led us into battle. But the thing was, the Volturi turned out to be a bunch of cowards. The sightseer in the Cullen family showed him his fate, and he didn't like what he saw. According to her, we would have claimed victory with great losses, which kind of was a relief to find out that we didn't need to fight in the end. We could have lost the Clearwaters, as well as two of their strongest. The fact that their lives were spared had made us stronger as well. Losing a pack mate is almost like losing an imprint; devastating."

"So the battle didn't happen?" I asked with relief. "I'm guessing that is why Nicklaus was beginning to question their leadership."

"Nicklaus?"

"He's apart of the original coven that birthed the vampire kind," I explained.

"How do you know this?" He asked.

"Because Klaus was one of the ones that pursued me at one time to get back at Tyler." I admitted, "I didn't know it at the time, but after finding out who he was and what he wanted from me, I pushed him out of my life. But he kept coming back until he killed me."

"What the fuck?" He looked at me shocked.

"He actually wanted to change me, or figure out a way somehow so I could stand by his side when he decided to dispose of the Volturi." I explained, "his family alone has that power to easily kill them, but he wanted me as a threat to the others. That, and so I could train his hybrids when he planned to change them, but I was dead before he was able to change Tyler."

"How did you come back to life?" He asked.

"Bonnie was able to break down the walls that blocked every supernatural being from returning from their death." I shrugged, "a lot of us were able to cross, and I was one of the few that was able to stay. With that, I had to regain my abilities once again, and with my return, I was able to assist Bonnie in petrifying Klaus and scaring off the rest of the Original Coven. The Salvatore's were responsible for hiding his corpse where it wouldn't be discovered. If they hadn't, and we killed Klaus, each and every one of his descendants would fall with him, which meant that a lot of them would no longer exist, including Tyler."

"I left after that." I continued. "From what Bonnie has told me, travelers had invaded Mystic Falls and flushed out all the vampires that vacated there, and because of it, Tyler and his pack of hybrids had returned to their status as wolves. That was the last I really heard."

"Holy shit," he cursed, "sounds like Mystic Falls is filled with drama."

"You can say that again."

"Well, since Jacob had imprinted, we're still on the edge whether the Volturi will return someday." He sighed, "but we'll be more than ready this time."

"I don't think they'd be coming here anytime soon," I admitted.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because I'm sure they've been informed of me being here by now unless they want to test my abilities," I explained. "Vampires despise our kind, which is why the Salvatore's and the others remain on our good sides, especially after they witnessed the powers of both Bonnie and me."

"Are you bragging?" He teased for once.

"No." I smiled, "but if they know what's good for them, I'm sure I can call up a friend of mine that would gladly help me get rid of them."

"Bonnie?" He smirked.

"No, Rebecca." I smiled back, "she's a part of the Original Coven and the one who had helped me and Bonnie capture Klaus." I paused. "I guess I should've mentioned that an Originals cannot be killed, only by White Oak tree, which has been hidden from them for our convenience."

"Will any of the Originals ever come here?" Paul asked.

"I don't think so." I admitted, "after Katherine's death, they've found their own sanctuaries, also aware of who can easily dispose of them. They're practically hiding because every supernatural being wants to kill them."

"You said something about Bonnie breaking down the walls of..."

"I can't." I said quickly, already knowing what he was going to ask from me, "Rachel wasn't a part of the supernatural realm, she's human, I can only communicate through visions, and even that becomes a task."

"Is there a way I can see her?" He asked again.

"I've yet to figure that out." I admitted, "communicating with the dead hasn't always been easy, especially someone like Rachel. But I have met her."

"What?" He looked at me questionably. At this time, I realized that I didn't want to mention that just now. "You've seen her?" He asked daringly.

"I didn't want to say anything until you were ready," I explained. "But she mentioned something about determined imprinting, and I wasn't sure about it either, so I asked Sam if they heard of it."

"You told Sam and not me?" He was pissed now.

"Yeah, but they never heard of it either," I said.

"I had the right to know!" He argued. "This is what I fucking mean, every time shit like this happens, I get left out of the know."

"I'm sorry, but you were already in a questionable state." I apologized.

"Show me!" He grabbed me by the biceps and began shaking me, "Show me, Rachel!"

"You're hurting me," I tried pulling away, turning my face from his aggressiveness. "Let me go."

"Not until you show me, Rachel!" He fumed.

Once again, I felt like my life was being threatened. I wondered why a man like him could turn into a monster so quickly. I should've been used to this by now. Tyler acted a fool more than once and tried threatening me at times. But then he'd always apologize, and I would fall for it once again.

"SHOW ME GOD DAMN IT!" He shook me again, shoving me against the wall where a few pictures fell and shattered to the floor.

Without giving it much thought, I had to do something. I had meant to cause infliction, but something in me took over. My hands reached for his, gripping onto his wrists until he collapsed to his knees before me. By then, I had lost control and began chanting until my hands covered his temples. I could hear his cries as he held onto me, and at that moment, it was if we were being dragged through a vortex of lights until we came to a dark atmosphere.

The cemetery where I was before when I had met my grandmother and Rachel, but this time Paul was standing behind me. I could tell that he was nervous as he moved closer to me. Everything seemed so real at the moment, the smell, the chill, and the surroundings. I walked slowly through the foggy atmosphere until we both could see a silhouette in a distance. Then another of an animal next to... her.

It was Rachel Black.

She turned to us, sadness in her expression, and hurt in her eyes. Paul looked a bit distraught at the sight of her. I could tell that she still cared dearly for him, and now we knew why. Next to her was his wolf. We both recognized it, just as it was tethered to her with five different lines, almost like chains.

"What happened?" We asked in unison.

"Our punishment." She replied.

I stared in awe as I noticed that the chains were making her bleed just as it had been doing to the wolf. She was in pain, and in a way, so was the wolf. I was beginning to understand the metaphor to this, but somehow it felt so real.

"You're wolf is still tied to her." I stopped Paul just as he was ready to approach them.

"He's angered because I won't take him with me," Rachel explained. "You need to be free of me Paul. I can't take you with me. You don't belong to me."

"But Rachel? I can't." Paul fell to his knees in defeat. "I won't."

"But he can, if you'll let him." She stared in my direction just as the wolf began to stand in front of her for protection.

"Me? The wolf won't let me anywhere near you." I argued.

"These chains can be broken, they are what's controlling him, not me." She held up the shiny-like rope. "Once these are broken, Paul can be set free, and I can finally leave this place."

~*~*~*~

Something alarmed the wolf as if something didn't feel right. Rather than question his instincts, he let them lead him until he came to the last place he expected, his pack brother's home.

Embry had been brought to Paul's. He stood outside puzzled to why he had been brought here and wondering if he was just going a bit crazy until he heard the cry from Paul.

Embry raced up the stairs of the porch and barged through the front door and the kitchen area until he witnessed something that even frightened him. His cousin Brandon standing in the middle of the living area with Paul kneeling before him in his grasp, Paul crying out just as Brandon continued to chant in a different language. When Embry moved closer to pull Paul out of Brandon's hold, he could see that his cousin was suffering just as much.

Blood was dripping from his nostrils.

~*~*~*~

I was caught in a serious predicament.

It was Paul who decided to go against his wolf and finally free Rachel. I'm guessing it was his way of giving her the last thing she requested, and this would give him the freedom he desperately craved. But his wolf wasn't letting him get any closer. I had to help in some way.

But I was powerless here.

We were both clueless about how we were going to get through, or finding any way to release her. Each attempt the wolf was one step ahead of us, and frankly, I was getting a bit exhausted, and I knew why.

'Paul I'm losing this!' I shouted to him, 'I can't hold on much longer!'

I could see the struggle he was facing as the wolf attacked him too, but the wolf wouldn't harm him either. I had to do something. I had to try anything I could think of. If Paul was hurting, I was sure his wolf was, I had to gain the wolf's trust too.

'WAIT!' I stood between Paul and his wolf, staring at the angered wolf in front of me, 'I'm not here to harm you or her.' I glanced at a frightened Rachel, 'but you're causing pain for the both of you, we can help.'

The wolf snarled and let out a vicious snarl, licking his snout and his sharp fangs. His ears pressed against his head, he claws digging into the soil below him, he was so close to me, and yet, I couldn't back away. 'Please, just trust me.'

It was strange that the only thing holding this wolf to the chains was a clip that could be easily undone with a snap. I guess it was just the idea of being trapped that kept them all here. 'I won't harm you, I promise.'

Slowly and gently, I reached for his neck, aware of his fangs that could easily tear my arms off. He watched me carefully as I reached for his collar, once yanking away before letting me touch his fur. I had to gain his trust, and I wasn't sure if this was him or Paul not willing to let go. But finally, I was able to take hold of the collar and unsnap the buckle as quietly as I possibly could. He watched me as the heavy piece of metal fell to the ground in a big clunk before disappearing. One by one, each chain that held onto the wolf slowly began to fall and fade into midair, giving both the wolf and Rachel the relief they needed.

The wolf was finally calm, and Rachel began to shed a tear. Paul seemed confused about the whole ordeal that had taken place. That was until Rachel began to explain, well more like apologize.

'I almost feel guilty.' She approached Paul. 'But when I came here, I was never meant to bring you with me. You needed to know that, and now that the ties to me are finally broken, you can finally move on. Imprints are connected through stronger ties, not chains. Sometimes the spirits make those mistakes I guess.'

'But I failed you still.'

'No you haven't,' she lifted his chin with her finger, 'it was me that chose the path, unfortunately, we both needed this to find our way. Now I can go and you can finally move on with your life.'

'I can't...'

~*~*~*~

By the time Sam and Jacob had arrived to help Embry shake the two out of their trance, it was as if Brandon reached a state of shock before finally letting Paul go -falling to the floor, shaking uncontrollably.

Each man panicked as they watched Brandon react as if he was having a seizure. Paul lay still with a weak pulse. Jacob called Sue and Tiffany just as Sam called Dr. Cullen to inform him that they might just need his help.

When Sue arrived, she explained that she wouldn't call it a seizure, but more than his body went into a state of shock that his body doesn't know how to react to it. Tiffany was the one who was able to discover that he was overdosing on power.

Quickly, Brandon's aunt went into action and began to rock him back and forth in her arms as she prayed, just like Bonnie had taught her. They both knew this would come in handy with Brandon since he was slowly coming back to his strengths, and it was only normal at times that he would go overboard. Sometimes it was the consequences of being a witch.

Paul was being examined by Sue. It was clear that Paul's energy was drained from their efforts, and that rest and food would do him good. But Brandon's recovery would be a bit more. He would need to rest longer and take the medicines that Tiffany would soon gather for him.

"What were they doing?" Sue asked.

"I don't know, I just walked in and Brandon had Paul in his hold, chanting about something." Embry shrugged, "I couldn't tell who was in pain the most. Paul was screaming, but Brandon, it was like he couldn't... it was strange."

"Was Brandon holding Paul by the sides of his head, near his temples?" Tiffany asked her son, he nodded. "It could be a vision..."

"I didn't think they were even talking still at the time." Jacob shrugged, "when did they decide to make up."

"It doesn't matter." Sam intervened, "what can we do?"

"There are a few things I need you to gather," Tiffany explained, "Embry can show you for now."

Sam was quick to follow Embry as he nodded to his mother. Thankfully, he was embracing his mother's side as well, and he knew that eventually, it would all come in hand at some point in his life.

"Is he going to be okay?" It was Emily who asked this time.

"Yeah, I think he will." Tiffany continued to rock her nephew back and forth, "I just wish he'd learn to be careful."

"Jacob." Sue called out, "help Tiffany carry Brandon back to their place, I'll keep Paul here until the doctor comes, I'm sure he'll know what we can do from here."

The man nodded and picked Brandon up bridal style while Tiffany helped, "Emily, you can go with them, I'm sure Tiffany will need your help as much as possible." The woman nodded and followed the three out the door.

"Paul? Honey, can you hear me?" Sue held onto the man.

"What's wrong mom?" Seth walked in with Leah in tow.

"I'm not sure yet, but we'll soon find out." She moved him slightly, "can you both help me lift him to the couch here until the doctor gets here."

"Mom?" Leah stood there puzzled, staring down at an unconscious Paul. Sue looked up at Leah. "Something's different about him."

"What do you mean?" She looked at her daughter puzzled.

"It's true." Seth added, "I can feel it."

"Feel what?" She asked.

"I could be wrong," Leah knelt down beside Paul and placed her hand upon Paul's forehead. "But I think they broke the imprint."

Vote & Comment?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

340K 6.1K 40
Jessica Lahote is moving back with her twin brother Paul Lahote. After she phases and goes back to school after she can control herself. When she see...
55K 1.1K 15
Lucy moves back to LaPush in the hopes of finding a pack that can help her control her shifting, but what if she finds so much more.
69.3K 1.2K 30
"What is making you act this way towards me? Is it Sam?" He doesn't meet my eyes. "Just drop it Gemma, there is no future with me. We can't do this a...
1.9K 93 10
I must've done something wrong to be left so lonely. Twilight / Paul Lahote screamstu, 2023