in too deep | ✓

By njhpiper

Evelyn Reyes is the girl with chronic anxiety. Her stomach knots, insomnia, pounding headache, a second voice... More

01| E v e l y n
02| M a s o n
03| E v e l y n
04| M a s o n
05| E v e l y n
06| M a s o n
07| E v e l y n
08| M a s o n
09| E v e l y n
10| M a s o n
11| E v e l y n
12| M a s o n
13| E v e l y n
14| M a s o n
15| E v e l y n
16| M a s o n
17| E v e l y n
18| E v e l y n
20| E v e l y n
21| M a s o n
22| E v e l y n
23| M a s o n
24| E v e l y n
25| M a s o n
26| M a s o n
27| E v e l y n (Part 1)
27| E v e l y n (Part 2)
27| E v e l y n ( Part 3)
28| M a s o n
29| M a s o n
30| E v e l y n
31| E v e l y n
32| E v e l y n
33| E v e l y n
34| E v e l y n
35| E v e l y n
36| E v e l y n
37| M a s o n
38| E v e l y n
39| E v e l y n
40| E v e l y n
41| M a s o n
42| E v e l y n
43| E v e l y n
44| E v e l y n
45| M a s o n
46| M a s o n
47| An unsent email from Evelyn Reyes (100K special)
48| The Differences between Anxiety Attacks and Panic Attacks
49| The Way I Loved You (Publishing) + Floating [COMPLETED]

19| M a s o n

14.7K 576 195
By njhpiper

I don't know what's worth fighting for
Or why I have to scream
I don't know why I instigate
And say what I don't mean
I don't know how I got this way
I know it's not alright
So, I'm breaking the habit
I'm breaking the habit
Tonight

- Breaking the habit, Linkin Park

19| Mason

The moment Mason and Evelyn got down from the jeep in the school parking lot all eyes were on them. Mason did not give a damn. He strode towards the hallway and Evelyn was already ahead of him. From the moment, Mason had made it clear that he would not leave her alone, she had stopped talking. Mason hadn't said anything either. They sat in silence during the rest of the drive.

He reached his locker and Evelyn was stood there with a company by her side. Someone he loathed from the deep inside of his soul.

Alex Harrington.

He was the kid who's life was messed up with divorced parents and dodgy family business. He had shits to go through but yet, he made sure everyone else who was around him was suffering too. He took joy by making people suffer.

He was the same guy who was evil enough to spread rumors about his sister, Mallory to the extreme, coated with layers of lies which was the ultimate destruction of her reputation in this school. Mason had no choice but to sent her away. He could not take it anymore.

"Hey, Evelyn." Alex said with his venomous voice, completely ignoring Mason's death glare. He was leaning against the locker beside Evelyn's.

Evelyn who already seemed disturbed looked up at him.

"I was wondering if I could get your number." Alex said with a knowing smirk, trying to look charming in his facade.

Mason felt his ears getting hot. His fingers clenched in a fist with his nails digging in his palm.

"I don't use phone." Evelyn lied without batting an eyelash and looked away to her backpack.

"Oh. No problem." He was still smirking and Mason was counting numbers in order to cool himself. It was not the right time.

"You can just give me your address, so I can pay a visit. " Alex winked.

Mason gritted his teeth and Evelyn looked up at him raising an eyebrow and then glanced at Alex.

"I live in space. You are welcomed to come anytime." She said with a straight face and threw her backpack over her shoulder.

"Haha. The sarcasm." Alex fake laughed. "You are funny and smart, Evelyn. "

Mason's skin crawled seeing his laugh. He breathed heavily counting the seconds he would wait till doing something horrible like ruining the map his smug face.

"Haha. I know right." Evelyn scoffed and smirking she tried to walk away. Alex stalked forward and held her wrist.

It took only seconds for Mason to launch himself between them and pulled away Alex's hand and shoved him aside.

"Can't you see that she is not interested?" Mason asked. "Doesn't it get inside your thick skull?"

"Getting jealous, now. Are we?" Alex smirked.

"That's none of your business." He glared at him. Alex's smirk widened.

"Oh, you know. Everything is my business. I always keep track of what's happening around me." Alex said as a matter of fact.

"Cool. Keep doing that." Mason took a breathe and turned around. He looked at Evelyn. For some matter, her face looked red and she was wiggling her eyebrows. She turned forwards. They took one step when Alex called from behind, "So how many times?"

Mason didn't stop to ask him what he meant. Alex nonetheless called out again, "I am asking you, Mason, how many times you screwed her, already?"

Mason stopped dead in his track. Alex who had no filter in his mouth didn't take any caution to stop.

"I mean, your sister was a slut. There this new innocent girl came whom you made your personal property and turning into a slut too. So I thought, she would give us something as well. Didn't know you will be all dominating towards her."

Mason turned immediately on his heels. Grabbing his collar he slammed Alex's back on a locker. He threw in a punch in his smug face. When he pulled back, Alex was still smirking.

"C'mon Mason, everyone knows you are screwing that girl, it's not a secret. We need chances too. And what are you trying to do? Hide her from the other guys? Duh Mason. You can't even save your own sister from your best friend and here you go saving someone else."

As soon as the words left his throat, Mason saw red. His body brimmed with anger and his fist came in contact with Alex's jaw. With every breathe he took he launched a punch in his jaw, his nose, his cheeks. Blood trickled down from Alex's nose. But he didn't stop smirking.

"Hit me all you want. It won't change the fact that your sister's a whore. That your so called best friend screwed her." Alex spat back and Mason slammed him with full strength, punching him till the daylight was out of his body. He couldn't stop until Alex made his way to hell. Nobody could have stopped him.

"You are a loser, Mason. A loser." Alex said even when he was getting hit. There was blood trickling down by the side of his lips. He didn't need to use his hands to hit Mason. His venomous words were enough.

Mason felt someone holding his hands from behind. He tried to pull away. But he was torn away from Alex.

Bryan Stellar helped Alex to stand up straight to his feet. Bryan's face showed an unreadable expression. Mason tried to channel all his hatred towards him through his eyes. Bryan only stared back. Mason could've started another fight if he wasn't dragged by someone towards Boys washroom.

"Enough is enough." Mason was slammed on the wall by an angry looking Jack.

"He started it." Mason said clenching his jaw as he walked towards the tape.

He looked down at his hands covered in blood. "You know that kid has enough shit to start with."

Mason scrubbed his knuckles to get rid of the last drop of blood. "What is the meaning of getting into trouble with this stupid fights?"

"He brought up Mallory." Mason said between gritted teeth.

"Of course." Jack murmured. "Everyone knows how to switch you on. Just mention your sister and you will go all haywire."

Mason washed his hands and scrubbed his knuckles with the hand wash and dried it. Grabbing a tissue paper he wiped off the extra drops of water.

"You also know that it was your sister's choice." Jack said and Mason took no time grabbing him by his collar.

"Not a word about my sister." Mason hissed.

"You can go on denying the truth and live behind the lies you have made up yourself. It won't change a thing, Stewart. You and I both know that." Jack said getting rid of his hands. He gave him one last look before stalking away.

"I am not denying any truth." Mason yelled but Jack was long gone.

Mason growled covering his mouth with his hands. He pulled his hair in frustration. When he looked at the mirror, he saw his hopeless loser self staring back.

Mason clenched his fist tightly before getting out of the washroom. As he made his way outside, all eyes were back on him. He made way to his locker which had now stains of blood drops. Getting out his books, he went to his class. Mr. Pit said nothing as he entered the classroom. Without glancing anywhere else, he made way to the back of the class. He slumped down on a seat and Mr. Pit continued with the class.

His mind went overdrive to whatever that had happened. Mason had always seen himself as a terrible brother. He should have been by Mallory's side when their parents died and they were broken. Both of them deserted themselves. It was his fault that he trusted his own friends around his sister when she was the most vulnerable. Bryan, his own best friend, took advantage of it.

Everything was his fault. He didn't do what he was supposed to do. He could not take care of his little sister when she got all self destructive and wasted herself away.

Not long after, Mr.Pit called his name and notified that he was called by Mr. Harris, the principal of Gateway High. He pushed the door of the office open and entered inside as Mr. Harris gave him permission.

Mr. Harris looked up from the document he was reading and motioned him to take a seat. Mason sat down. He had nothing to say.

"Again, got yourself in trouble, Mr. Stewart?" He asked adjusting his glasses.

Mason said nothing in reply. He looked out through the window.

"You know, Mason. I used to know your dad, personally. He was a great businessman and also a great friend. He was a great help to the school and he had made huge donation for us quite a few times." He looked back at Mason. He looked disappointed.

"He had plans for you and your sister. He had shared those with me." He said and Mason could not look up to his eyes.

Mason felt he had let his father down. He had let everyone down.

"He would not be very proud of what you have done today." He said.

"Your uncle, following the footsteps, had kept up with the same flow and had never stopped contributing for us." Mr. Harris said and Mason wiggled his eyebrow. That was a news for him.

Landon Stewart was making donations? Mason thought and tried to figure out what could be his motives behind it. Landon would have never done anything without intentions. He loved his money too much.

"You are a bright student. I have always kept your records under my supervision and I am not surprised. Coming from the respectable Stewart family, I am sure you will make difference like your father and uncle," He said going through the same documents.

Mason flinched internally with his name being associated with his uncle's.

"So I am telling you now, you should spend your time in the right activities other than being engaged in something you have done today. Our institution has a no violence rules. What you have done, would have resulted in something bigger." Mason looked up and met his eyes.

"Count this as a favor to you from me. You have detention for the coming weeks and also have to perform service after school." Mr. Harris said leaning back in his chair.

"Mr. Stewart, you are dismissed." He waved with his hands and Mason nodded at him. He walked out of the office as he thought about what happened.

Mason could have been expelled but he wasn't because of his uncle's donation. He cringed at the idea and somehow made it to the class. He would die before taking any favor that would come from him. But for right now, he had no choice. He could not just leave the school after everything. He still had so much unfinished business. He still have to tie those loose ends that was dangling and eating him up from the inside.

They said words were harmless but words were the most powerful thing. It could make or break. He was under the impression of words that were thrown to him. Those were like a slap across his face. He was reminded no matter how long it had been he would never be able to run away from his mistakes.

Mason Stewart could not feel the ground he was stepping on anymore.

• • •

Author's note: That was quite a chapter huh? I know.

School starts next Monday and I'm super duper excited. Note the sarcasm.

Until next chap :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.5K 1.7K 110
And then he stopped. Shane leaned his forehead against mine, breathing heavily, our eyes still closed, and he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear...
1.3M 62.9K 100
Completed. ☾ This is a SEQUEL!!! 1) 'Camp Where The Hell Are We?' 2) 'Cabin Fever' 3) 'Asterism' ☾ "I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also be...
789 107 29
H.R.: #207 in Teen Fiction *** No one is allowed to treat my girl like that. My girl? It sounded so perfect. I pushed her hair strands behind her ea...
222K 2.3K 15
|SAMPLE ONLY||THE FICTION AWARDS 2019 WINNER| EVIE CHASE has it all--fame, fortune, the career of her dreams--but things weren't always that way. Th...