Never Giving Up

By Natasha_Smith

Time has passed since Kaylee found out that Luca has a daughter. Days turned into weeks and before she knew i... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38

Chapter 31

1.1K 47 4
By Natasha_Smith

It's nearing two o'clock in the afternoon by the time we make it to Farnham Park. We couldn't have timed it any better as there was a car coming out of a parking space as we draw in and Luca is quick to park up in the space. I didn't want to say anything to Luca but I did notice that it was a space that was vacated by one of his bodyguards.

It's clearer to see when we get out that the cars parked up at either side of us belong to someone who works for either Luca or Fredrick. They are all blacked out and cage his Audi along with Fredrick's Jaguar car to the right so there will be no chance in anyone getting close to any of us.

"What time do you two call this? I thought you said late morning to early afternoon," Jade complains in a joking way.

She steps away from the back of the Jaguar and gives Luca a hug.

"We had to stop off at Kaylee's flat so she could get changed," Luca explains.

"I see." She pulls back and bends to kiss the top of Louisa's head before stepping to me to give me a hug. "I like your outfit choice for today, Kaylee. As I always do whenever we're together. At least you're not afraid to be seen unlike those two."

She points over her shoulder to Luca and Fredrick who are both busy putting on similar black and white baseball caps on their heads.

I frown. "Do they really think someone's going to attempt to approach them here?"

"Not with the bodyguards about, no." She turns and links her arm with mine. "But you can never know what someone may attempt to do."

"Come on, daddy." Louisa chimes, grabbing Luca's hand and pulling him in the direction of the nearest path.

"We're coming. We're coming," Luca assures.

Fredrick falls into line beside him, his hands stuffed into his jeans pockets. They walk ahead of us, Carlo leading the way with another two bodyguards next to him. Jones and another bodyguard walk behind Jade and I, staying close but not too close.

"They need to talk things out so hopefully, they can do that today," Jade speaks up.

"I hope so," I agree. "I spoke to Luca last night and told him some home truths that seemed to have hit home that the way things are going is only going to end up one way."

"They've been in business with each other since I can remember. This whole buyout thing that's come along is the biggest test they've faced but they need to be on the same page in order to get over it."

"Is Fredrick still getting offers?"

"The last I heard, he was. It just doesn't seem to be sinking into the person's head that he's not going to sell but it doesn't stop them from coming back with a counteroffer."

"Do you think he'll sell his share if they come back with an offer he can't refuse?"

"I don't want him to but I'm worried he might see the figures they're offering and agree to sell."

"But this isn't about the money for either of them. It's about offering something to people that makes them feel equal to everyone that's got money like them."

"I'm with you on that, trust me. And Fredrick never gives the lawyers enough time to tell him how much they've offered before he tells them he's not interested."

I look down at the ground as we continue to walk before squinting my eyes and looking at Jade. "Have you seen the offers?"

She glances at me and nods.

"And?" I press.

She exhales heavily. "I've seen one and it's not something someone in normal circumstances would turn down. It's twice as much as what his net worth is away from Luca's."

"Would you have accepted it? If you were in his shoes, I mean."

"Not if it meant leaving my best friend and business partner in the lurch, no. If it was just me and I had no one else to help me, I most likely would sell."

I look ahead at Luca and Fredrick as they continue to talk to each other. "As long as those two work everything out and they stay on the same page, no one has anything to worry about."

"We really won't," Jade agrees.

Her grip on my arm tightens, and I pat her hand that's resting on my forearm. I keep my eyes on Luca and Fredrick who are now laughing and joking with each other. Louisa is between then, skipping here and there and pulling at Luca's hand when he doesn't match her pace.

"I wasn't too sure what to wear for a day like today," Jade expresses, getting my attention back to her.

I look at her clothing choice for today; black coated jeans, top, and flat boots topped off with a light denim jacket and patterned scarf.

"You're fine," I approve.

"Easy for you to say," she grumbles. "You're used to doing these kinds of things."

I take a quick glance at my ripped, skinny black jeans, white slogan top that's covered under my black suede jacket, and flat buckle boots. I don't see this as much of an effort. Yes, it's true that I've been used to doing things like this but I dress however I feel and to accommodate the weather and where I'm going. "You're reading too much into this, Jade."

"For all I grew up in New York, I never once got the chance to do something like this. Yes, we have Central Park and all but I never saw the need to spend the day there. It never appealed to me to do this sort of thing."

"But you have been for walks around Central Park, haven't you?" I stare at her, waiting for her reply.

"Not in a long time but it just didn't appeal to me, even when I was younger." She answers truthfully.

"Doing this was just something for us to do instead of doing something that would get us into trouble. It was never the first thing we would think of because it isn't interesting. It's just something that you begin to appreciate the older you get. For someone in Luca's case, it's nice for him to spend time with Louisa as a family and for her to let her hair down and be a kid."

"She doesn't get to do that in New York," Jade admits, looking at Louisa who is now running a few feet ahead of us all.

"She wouldn't with living in an apartment."

"Must be why she likes coming here in the summer."

"She can be a normal kid or as much or a normal kid as she can," I finish as Luca and Fredrick stop walking and turn to look back at us.

"Xavier, stay close to Louisa," Luca instructs to the tall, dark blonde haired male standing a couple of feet from him.

"Yes, Mr. Madden," Xavier responds, his voice deep and his dark brown eyes darting from Luca as he speaks then to Louisa who skips happily upfront.

"Please tell me that you two have sorted out your issues," Jade pleads.

She lets go of me and moves next to Fredrick who pulls her in close to his side with his arm over her shoulders.

"We have," Fredrick answers. He kisses the top of her head. "We're both on the same page now."

Luca moves to me and takes my hand in his. "Right where we need to be to put all these buyout offers we've both been getting to rest once and for all."

"I hope so," Jade approves. "These buyout proposals have gone on for far too long. It's becoming more and more stressful and they've got nothing to do with Kaylee or I."

"They'll be over before we all know it," Fredrick guarantees.

"Then we can get on with our lives like we once were," Luca finishes.

The conversation ends there and we continue our walk in the direction of Louisa who is laughing loudly as she runs from side to side, dodging Xavier who she keeps yelling at saying that he'll never catch her. It's like they're playing tag but only Louisa is the one playing. Xavier isn't moving much, a small jaunt here and there like he's going to get her but he stops and walks. Keeping his professionalism on show and his guard up at all times when passer-by's appear and look at Louisa.

Luca is unfazed by his daughter's bodyguard's reaction. Mainly because he's been hired to keep her safe and it's what he's doing, but also because it shows that he has got every faith in his security team. When and if each and every one of them is called upon, they'll all do their job.

It wasn't a hard decision to make to go and see my dad after our walk. I knew Luca would be reluctant about going as he had Louisa despite wanting to go with me to see how my dad was doing. He didn't put up much of a fight when Jones stepped in and said he'd take me and see to it that I'd be dropped off at my flat once I'd finished my visit to the hospital.

After a sea of goodbyes and a promise to fill Luca in on everything that happens when I get home, I happily get in the back of Jones' car and we take off for the hospital. I send a quick text to Chloe asking if she was still going to see dad today and that I'd meet her there.

The drive is long but sharing numerous texts with my sister made it go in a lot quicker than what it actually was. She was informing me that our dad had now been moved back to Medical 8 ward and that he was allowed to sit in the chair by his bed. He was slowly but surely getting back to his usual self but we know to still be cautious as it was a big operation he had, a lot bigger than the previous one.

"I'll drop you off at the entrance, Miss. Fletcher." Jones tells me, drawing my attention away from my phone and to him. He comes to a stop near the entrance of the hospital and I undo my seatbelt. "I'll pick you back up here in an hour."

"Thank you, Jones."

I get out the car and I'm immediately greeted by my sister, hugging me fleetingly as I close the car door over before I have a chance to return the hug.

"That was quick," Chloe comments.

I smile and slide my phone into my jacket pocket and zip it up so it doesn't fall out. "Jones drives quick."

"So I can see." She nods to the back of the Audi as it speeds away like it was never here. "Must be great to rely on a driver to get you around the city."

"Not all the time," I admit.

"When you most need it, though."

"Sometimes."

"Alright." She turns and we start walking into the hospital. "I've been in a couple of times to see dad but only for a short visit when he was moved back to the ward from ICU."

"It's just going to take time," I assure, giving Chloe's hand a squeeze for reassurance. "He's over the main part which is a good thing."

"Yeah, I know that. It's just . . ." We stop walking and she looks both ways down the corridor for signs of people coming before leaning in close to me. ". . . I was up in the ward before you arrived but turned back when I saw all the men in dad's family there seeing him. I think they're trying to talk sense into Declan about Luca but I didn't want to disturb them."

I stare at her then shrug. "Something tells me that it won't matter what they say to him, he'll still have a strong dislike towards Luca."

We start walking again.

"I don't have a thing against Luca," Chloe clarifies. "I did when you two first broke up. Then time went by, dad had his first heart attack, I grew up, Luca came back into your life, you got happier – time went on and people changed. None of us are who we once were and with what's happened to dad, it goes to show you that life is too short."

"If you're going to start with the whole 'You and Luca should get married' speech, save yourself the time and the breath because it's not happening anytime soon. I've heard that too many times over the past week or so from a lot of different people."

"I wasn't, but you really should." I glare at her. "I'm kidding. You know I'm kidding."

"I know you are and so it everyone that's said it to me. Doesn't stop them from saying it, though."

"Could be worse," she shrugs. I watch her and wait for her to go on. She grins. "They could be calling you step-"

I clamp my hand over her mouth before she has a chance to finish the word I know she's ready to say. "Don't you even think about letting that word spill from your mouth. It's not happening any time soon. Got it?"

She nods. I drop my hand from her mouth and we walk to the ward without another word being said.

For all my dad is still in a room of his own, neither Chloe or I should be hearing or seeing what's going on in the room this very second, but we can't help it. We were about to walk past the uncovered window that looks into the room from the corridor but seeing all the males from my dad's family still crowed together had the two of us stopping dead in our tracks.

There's no nurses or doctors walking the corridors that would listen in on what's going on, not that most of them would, anyway. Nevertheless, it doesn't stop us from wanting to eavesdrop on a part of what's being said.

"She has a right to lead the life she wishes."

"You can't stand in the way of her happiness."

"If Luca is the one she wants to be with, learn to live with that choice. There's nothing any of us can do to stop her from being with him."

"He's proved himself a good man, Declan. He didn't need to do what he did for me but he has because he truly does love and care for your sister. He's changed and whether you chose to believe that or not, you will not stand in either of their ways to be together."

"But if he breaks her heart again," Declan starts, his voice soft and close to cracking. It's the softest he's ever spoken since dad had his first heart attack and it's the kind of softness that can bring a tear to anyone's eye that's listening. Declan sniffs loudly before going on, "I just don't want her to be unhappy again."

"And she won't be now she's with him," my dad assures.

"She loves him, Declan. You can keep them apart even if you tried," my grandpa finishes. My grandpa gives Declan's back a rub where they're sitting on the bed with their backs to us. "The next time you see your sister, you give her the biggest hug you can offer and just say sorry. She'll know what you're talking about."

Chloe and I take that as our queue to enter the room and do so while acting like we haven't witnessed what just happened and we hadn't heard what we just heard.

I clear my throat as we approach the bed. "Are we interrupting anything?"

All eyes fall onto Chloe and I before they each exchange a look with each other that's silently saying that we've stumbled in on something we were to know nothing about.

"No, it's fine." My grandpa gets to his feet and gives Declan's shoulder a squeeze. "We were finished, actually. We'll leave the three of you to it."

"Thanks, dad." My dad all but whispers as everyone gets to their feet and leaves the room.

Declan is the last to leave my dad after giving him a small hug, careful to not hurt or pull on anything. He stops in front of me and I put on the best acting face I can muster. My brows knit together and he pulls me in for a rib breaking hug. I glance at the entrance to the room at all the men who are waiting for my brother, and they each smile at me.

"I'm sorry, Kaylee." Declan muffles into my shoulder.

I pat his back. "It's fine. You are my brother after all."

"I do love you."

"I love you, too."

He pulls back and steps to Chloe. He gives her a short-lived hug then leaves the room, closing the door behind him. We wait until everyone is out of view as they walk away before moving to sit on the bed near my dad.

"Dare we ask what that was about?" I ask, getting comfy.

"All I'm going to say is that everything will work itself out in due time." My dad sits up straighter and pulls his bathrobe belt tighter together. "So, what's been happening with you two?"

"Only uni work," Chloe answers on a shrug.

"I see." My dad looks at me. "And Kaylee?"

"I . . . Allison and I have had a big argument," I answer.

"When have you not? You'll get over it and move on."

I shake my head. "Not with this one. It was beyond bad."

"Nothing is beyond bad, sweetie. It can always be repaired."

"Not when I told her to give me back her key and to move all her belongings out the flat."

My dad stares at me. "What did she do?"

"She got engaged," I start, "but her now fiancé had a go at Luca for the way he was speaking to her. I mean, you know what they're like with each other. They talk a load of crap to each other and it doesn't matter because they put that all behind them when I'm involved. But they've always been like that. I've never known them to not to be like that.

"Anyway, I told Allison to make Greg stop his arguing but she wouldn't and he took a swing at Luca. He punched him and his bodyguards intervened in time before it went too far. I told her that for as long as she's standing by Greg, I won't be her friend."

My dad blinks, his lowered and his thumbs twiddling on his lap. I look at Chloe next to me who's staring wide-eyed.

"Damn, I would have responded to that punch if I was Luca." Chloe states.

"He was right not to, Chloe." My dad says. He clears his throat. "What Greg did was unacceptable. Allison should have told him beforehand what her way of speaking to Luca was like. So I can say that she was to blame for that." He shifts uncomfortably in the chair, his face screwing up to showcase the pain he's in. "However, I always knew that that mouth on her would end up with some sort of argument going too far."

"I've only briefly been to the flat since then but I can tell she's moved everything out. There's none of her shoes or jackets next to the front door. The door leading to the bedroom she was using is left opened and with just a glance, there's none of her belongings in there."

"That Greg was always a snobby little boy who would throw his dummy out the pram when he didn't get things going his way. Look how he acted when her family had that big barbecue last summer. He hated everything and everyone, and you could clearly see it on his face. He doesn't deserve someone as nice as Allison. She deserves better."

"How did Luca react to Greg before all of that kicked off?" Chloe asks, pushing her glasses up her nose.

"He told me that he doesn't want to be near Greg after what his best friend tried to do to me," I answer, looking at her and not my dad.

I haven't told anyone in my family about what Terence tried to do to me because I know exactly what they'd do. It's one thing saying they'd beat Luca up for how much he hurt me but their threats towards what Terence did would have been stuck by.

"What'd he do?" My dad asks.

"It's nothing," I brush off. "It's in the past."

"Kaylee, what did he do?" He asks more sternly.

"Dad, it's fine."

"Kaylee, what-"

"Fine!" I shout, cutting my dad off before he gets any angrier than he already is getting. He was told not to get angry and I know what I'm going to tell him will only make him angry. I take a deep breath and confess, "He spiked my drink."

"He did what?" Chloe and my dad bellow at the same time.

My dad winces. He slumps back in the chair and his eyes close. He grips the handles of the chair tightly and breathes deeply. Chloe and I move to him but he holds a hand up to us.

"I'm fine," he breathes. "I'll be fine. I'm just shocked. I'm fine."

"You sure?" Chloe asks, uncertainty clear in her voice.

"Yeah. I'll be fine." He waves us away and we sit back down on the bed. He breathes deeply again. "Go on. I'll be fine."

"Because we were in Luca's hotel restaurant," I continue, "it was intercepted before I got it."

"It still doesn't make what he did right," Chloe utters.

"I'll kill him," my dad comments. I glare at him. "Maybe not in my state but I can sure as hell get one of my brothers to do that for me twice over."

"It's been dealt with," I enlighten, trying my best to calm my dad down before he gets too angry. I reach for my dad's hand that's still gripping the arm of the chair. "It's in the past and it's where it's going to stay. Now, moving on, when are you getting home?"

My dad smiles and gives my fingers a small squeeze. "In about a week or so. I'm responding well to the medications and everything they've planned out for me. I can get myself sitting here and back to the bed with no help."

"Is mum taking time off work again to help with your rehab?" Chloe queries.

"Not necessary," my dad responds. "I have the best home help coming to assist me when I need it, all courtesy to Luca and both Dr. Watts and Dr. Kim for putting it in place. I didn't ask but they insisted because your mum kept going on and on about going to give up her job and they told her it wasn't needed."

"Dare we ask how much this may cost?"

"Luca is seeing to that," my dad smiles.

"He seems to be seeing to everything that's happened to you. First the doctors and now the homecare you'll be needing. He's such a-"

"Chloe," my dad butts in firmly. She stops talking and presses her lips firmly together. "We look after our own. He's just as much part of our family like we are his. It's fine."

"You've sure changed your tune," I point out. I gently lift one of the tubes coming from his hand. "What have they been giving you?"

"I don't know but I can tell you that it's the good stuff," he jokes.

We laugh and continue talking until we're told to leave so he can rest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

593K 13.3K 46
••COMPLETE•• ||Monaro Family: book 1|| Isabella believes in love. But she also knows that it can be painful, so she's saving herself from the eventua...
236K 7.8K 30
Four years after leaving her hometown behind, she returns for her father's wedding, only to run into a ghost of her past. Twenty-one-year-old Kat...
3.1M 111K 25
Highest Ranking: #1 in ChickLit :) Finn thinks its just another Saturday night of picking up his stumbling drunk younger sister when he meets Westly...
9.1K 327 24
Maya has an intricate relationship with Josh and Lucas. She can't decide on who she loves more. How will things catch on? Will friendships go astray...