When It's Time to Move On

By saimcheeda

The story about a dying man who gets another chance at life. Or rather four. Four doors that lead him to diff... More

Prologue
The Hospital - Chapter 1 - Bad News
The Station - Chapter 2 - Who are you?
Door 1 - Chapter 3 - Where Am I?
Door 1 - Chapter 4 - This Beautiful Life
Door 1 - Chapter 6 - Lost in the Mist
Door 1 - Chapter 7 - His Story
Door 1 - Chapter 8 - New Starts
Door 1 - Chapter 9 - Expectations
Door 1 - Chapter 10 - The Poor Woman
Door 1 - Chapter 11 - Broken Lives
Door 1 - Chapter 12 - Reaching Out
Door 1 - Chapter 13 - Leaving This Behind
The Station - Chapter 14 - What was that?
Door 2 - Chapter 15 - Wasteland
Door 2 - Chapter 16 - Standoff
Door 2 - Chapter 17 - His Story
Door 2 - Chapter 18 - Sergio
Door 2 - Chapter 19 - Someplace Safe
Door 2 - Chapter 20 - Cleansing
Door 2 - Chapter 21 - Remember
Door 2 - Chapter 22 - Faith
Door 2 - Chapter 23 - Wake up
Door 2 - Chapter 24 - Goodbye
Door 2 - Chapter 25 - Innocence
Door 2 - Chapter 26 - Don't Forget
The Station - Chapter 27 - Why me?
Door 3 - Chapter 28 - Once Again
Door 3 - Chapter 29 - All Those Years Ago
Door 3 - Chapter 30 - Desperation
Door 3 - Chapter 31 - Positive
Door 3 - Chapter 32 - Importance
Door 3 - Chapter 33 - Finer Things in Life
Door 3 - Chapter 34 - Choosing to Live
Door 3 - Chapter 35 - Her Story
Door 3 - Chapter 36 - Thank You
Door 3 - Chapter 37 - Roslin
Door 3 - Chapter 38 - Understanding
Door 3 - Chapter 39 - How They Lived
Door 3 - Chapter 40 - Closure
Door 3 - Chapter 41 - A Smile Away
Door 3 - Chapter 42 - All of Them
The Station - Chapter 43 - Will you be with me?
Door 4 - Chapter 44 - A New Life
Door 4 - Chapter 45 - Search for Passion
Door 4 - Chapter 46 - Feelings Hour
Door 4 - Chapter 47 - Close Call
Door 4 - Chapter 48 - Hustling
Door 4 - Chapter 49 - Bonding
Door 4 - Chapter 50 - Her
Door 4 - Chapter 51 - Pink
Door 4 - Chapter 52 - Genius
Door 4 - Chapter 53 - Worth It
Door 4 - Chapter 54 - The Two of Us
Door 4 - Chapter 55 - Their Story
Door 4 - Chapter 56 - Longton
Door 4 - Chapter 57 - The Exhibit
Door 4 - Chapter 58 - For the Last Time
The Station - Chapter 59 - What do you think now?
Door 5 - Chapter 60 - One Good Turn
The Station - Chapter 61 - Time to Move On
Epilogue - The Train

Door 1 - Chapter 5 - The Stranger

505 9 2
By saimcheeda

The first rays of dawn crept in. Harris yawned widely as he stretched, opening the curtains to let all of the sunlight in, bathing the room in its blaze. After so long he had woken to welcome the morning sun; he'd never thought this would happen again. He left the room, wiping a tear trickling out his eye as he did so.

After cleaning up, he approached the top of the stairs and, on an impulse, jumped high, managing to hit the ground without using any of the steps.

Harris went out for his stroll around the seashore, smelling the early morning scent. Danny and Jennifer approached him from the other end.

"Hey there, neighbor," said Danny cheerfully. "Beautiful morning."

"The best," said Harris with equal cheerfulness.

"Out for a jog?" asked Jennifer.

"What gave me away?" Harris joked. "And I'm guessing the lovely couple's going out for breakfast?"

"What gave us away?" asked Danny, laughing.

"Want some company?"

"Only if we don't run all the way over there this time?"

"Oh, forget it then", said Harris sarcastically, making them laugh again.

"Well if that's what it takes to get you to come along, then let's go, mister", said Danny, pretending to get ready for a race.

"Well, two against one doesn't sound fair to me," said Harris, sending the couple laughing again.
"An I get the feeling there's no separating you guys."

Jennifer squeezed Danny's arm with affection.

"That's nice of you to say," she said. "So is there a Mrs. Harris?"

"I'm all by myself. Let's get breakfast for now, shall we?" Harris said. "Where to, though?"

"Where else?"

"The Corner Inn? We went there yesterday."

"Yeah and it's great, we think it's homey."

"Well, I guess we could go there again," said Harris as they made their way out of the beach.

"What will it be, fellas?" The barman asked as they entered.

"The usual, Curt," said Danny.

"Sunny side up it is", Curt said and disappeared into the kitchen.

"Like yesterday?" asked Harris, "Don't want to try something else?"

"It's the best they have on the menu," said Jennifer, laughing.

"Yeah, but I like to try different things."

"Actually I ordered for you too," said Danny, "I figured you'd want the same you had yesterday."

"Uh, okay then," said Harris, rather taken aback. This was a bit forward for Danny to place his order for him. But maybe Harris had made himself feel welcome yesterday and this might be their way of being familiar, he thought. Once they'd finished with their meal, he got up to leave, though thought to ask the couple if they'd want to join.

"No, it's alright," said Jennifer. "We'll stay back here."

"What're you guys going to do? Breakfast's over."

"We're going to do pretty much the same today."

"Um, okay then," said Harris, turning around slowly, he heard the sounds of laughter as he went out.

He stood outside the restaurant for a couple of seconds thinking over what just happened. Strange people those two, he thought, figuring they might simply be eccentric in their ways.

"Hey buddy, here again?" It was the teenager who had asked him for a fix yesterday. "You really like this place, do ya?"

"You could say that," said Harris, the boy stared at him smiling broadly, swinging in his spot.

"So, man, how about fixing me up some today?"

"You mean money?"

"Sure if you wanna give me some."

Harris remembered that he did promise the boy more if he wanted.

"Fine," he said, pulling out his wallet. "Here you go."

He walked away, making the turn around the corner when he saw something drifting fast towards him; the same kid on the bike as yesterday.

"Sorry, mister," the boy apologized.

"You again?" asked Harris.

"Oh, it's you", said the kid. "You wanna race?"

"No, it's alright."

"Come on, I'll beat you today."

"All right, then," Harris gave in.

He didn't sprint as wildly as before. Yet he won again.

"Boy, you're really fast," the boy panted.

"You should work on your biking, kid."

"Ya, I guess." The boy wheeled away.

Harris scratched his head. Shrugging his shoulders, he decided to go to the ice skating rink to bring some kind of change. By the time he was done, his good spirits from the morning returned.

Once he was out, Harris decided to go for a movie. Just as the previous day, there was only one movie available to see, the foreign language one. Not feeling like watching it again, he left and was called into the bowling alley he'd scored the record in yesterday. They wanted him to take another shot at his own score. By the time he was out, he'd bested his effort from the previous day. Harris received another free dinner at the same ritzy restaurant for the night.

It was still light out when he got to the beach, and his eye caught something else. The stranger by the rocks – head hunched down – the man remained in his position unmoving. 

Harris stared at him. It was strange how this person continued to be seated in the same position at the same location. Even if he had left last night, why would he return to simply sit around again? Suddenly, Harris didn't feel much like swimming; he slowly made his way back into the house, looking over at the man as he went.

He went into the kitchen to take out his favorite vanilla-flavored ice cream and settled on the couch to watch TV. It was Annie Hall. Harris looked at the screen in disbelief. This again? He picked up his remote and quickly switched the channel on the chance that something else might be on, but to no avail. He couldn't have any of the ice cream now. 

When it was time for dinner, he left for the restaurant. Outside, the stranger remained in his position as resolute as ever. Harris ignored him, pushing the thought out of his mind. At the restaurant, the music being played was particularly captivating, making him tap his toes to its rhythm as the waiter arrived to take his order.

"Enjoying it, sir?" He asked Harris.

"Yes, it's a good tune."

"A customer had performed this original piece of music and it's been played here since then."

"That's nice. When did that happen?"

"I believe that was a very long time ago," said the waiter. "So, for your order?"

"I ate a bit before coming here so I'll just have soup."

"The same as before, sir?"

"Oh no," said Harris quickly. "I will have the chicken soup."

"Alright, sir." The waiter bowed.

Harris turned his attention back to the music while he waited for his order. The song ended and the harmonist spoke of the person who'd originally performed it, but Harris didn't get to hear much as the waiter returned.

"I'm sorry, sir, we're out of the chicken soup."

"That's a shame. I'll just look through the menu again."

"I'm afraid the only item of soup left is the crab bisque," the waiter told him.

"Did you say crab bisque?" Harris's head shot up. The waiter nodded. Harris blinked in astonishment, it couldn't be.

"That was what I had last night..."

"Very well, sir, it'll be over right away." The waiter went off toward the kitchen before Harris had the chance to stop him. He fell back in his chair as numerous thoughts swirled in his head.

The whole day seemed to be Déjàvu, as if he had lived through it before. He wiped the sweat off his forehead, too deep in his thoughts to realize his meal had already been placed on the table. The crab bisque was exquisitely prepared tonight as well although his distracted mind wasn't able to fully appreciate this.

"Hi, I thought it was you," a girl approached him. "So, are you in a good enough mood to buy dessert for everyone tonight as well?"

Harris stared at her wide-eyed. She'd been here last night, and his eyes darted quickly around at everyone else. Now that he thought about it, they did seem familiar. He jumped up from his seat and paced out of the restaurant.

The only thing that made sense was to climb into bed and go to sleep, a long relaxing one. Hopefully, when he got up in the morning this would all seem amusing. He reached the front door of the house before stopping to see someone.

The stranger. Sitting in his chosen spot, the tallest rock around the bay, the spot that seemed to be his throne. Harris's nervousness had slowly begun to creep in when he turned it into fury. At this moment, he hated that man.

How dare he sit there for hours at a time doing nothing? He had a full mind to tell the man off. Harris walked over to the rocks and grabbed the man's shoulder, ready to give him a piece of his mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 467 26
she found solace in her silence. he found comfort in his anger. they were just two lost souls crashing, colliding, and melding into one. ✗ extended s...
601 123 19
Captive within his own body after the accident, Phil explores the concealed dark secrets of those around him. Love becomes both his strength and hear...
221 3 18
Set in a trailer park in a small town in the USA, there lives me. My mom, my sister, and my brother. Then, there is my father. What I am about to te...
37 14 14
"If you will be the moon I will the stars behind you if you are the sun then I will the sunlight if you are my heart then I would like be the reason...