Angels and Wormholes

By David_Shultz

A star-faring religious cult has created an army of robotic zealots designed to follow holy scripture. As the... More

Prologue: Clarion
Fuchai
Excommunication
Commission
Excalibur
Blue Sky
Rendezvous
Muramasa
Avalon
Irfan Levy
Laser Ball
Astrid
Zahra and Lujain Quadriyyah
Erin Locke
Under Fire
Hired Guns
Delta Gate
The Proving
The Mountain Kingdom of Naga
Survivors
Paradox
Fly-by
The Apex
Naga
Spycraft
Rescue Mission
Robot Compliance
Alien Chopshop
The Kaax Station
Alien Interpreter
Caldwell 57
Salvage
Singularity Injection
Escape Plan
Sweepers
Nagan Counsel
Mind Over Matter
Parting Ways
Legion of Angels
Perfect Faith
Ashes to Ashes
Sepulchre
Lodestar
Interstellar Conspiracy
Crossed Swords
Meeting of Minds
Psychonaut
Remonstrance
Judgment
Hades
Zenith Cathedra
Terminus

Testament

2.9K 216 10
By David_Shultz

"All crew, be advised we are approaching Clarion," head secretary Calvin Campbell announced through the Excalibur's speaker system.

"This is it." Rolland Barron stood from his seat on the Captain's chair, turning to look across the command deck. "Time to say 'hi'." He gave a wry smile to the officers on deck.

"Now entering the scanner range," Chief Navigator Megan MacLeod announced.

"Nothing on comms," Communiations Specialist Catrina Rennard reported from her station.

"What about LDs?" Rolland looked to Technical Sergeant Eduard Titus.

"Not yet," Titus answered. "But I'm working on it."

Victor Underwood, SCFC Technician, turned from his console towards Rolland. "Could be a calibration issue. I can cycle through possible signatures."

Rolland nodded. "Give it a try."

The entrance door to the command deck slid open. Jordan Rattan, the Compliance Officer, walked briskly inside. "I got here as fast as I could."

"Not a problem," Rolland replied with a smile.

"I'm picking up the fleet around Clarion," Victor announced.

"Give us a visual," Rolland ordered.

Victor Underwood tapped in the command. The front viewscreen blinked to reveal a featureless sphere, surrounded by a mass of red blips.

"How many ships are we looking at?" Rolland kept his eyes on the display.

"More than a hundred," Victor replied. "I'll work on the detail."

The image morphed with the integration of incoming data. Mountains poked up from the smooth sphere in some places and valleys crinkled down into others, and the imposing flock of ships increased in resolution. Alongside the image, the tactical display blinked intermittently, cycling through vessels of the Catechumen fleet.

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news -" Weapons Specialist Katherine Fisher swivelled from her console "- but that fleet could go toe to toe with the Federation."

"You're sure?" Rolland glanced to Fisher.

"Look at that ship -" Katherine nodded up to the viewscreen "- over two thousand kilometers across."

"That's bigger than the Fuchai." Keenan stared awestruck at the colossal vessel, much larger than the Federation's defensive flagship.

"That's the biggest -" Katherine Fisher motioned to the screen "- but not by much. And that fleet's got more than a hundred ships."

The crew stared in silentce at the immense armada of cross shaped vessels orbitting the former Clarion colony.

"How?" Rolland looked down from the screen towards Fisher. "How did they build all this?"

"Robots," Jordan Rattan interjected, his eyes locked on the Catechumen fleet.

"You think so?" Captain Barron asked.

"Yeah." Jordan nodded. "Automated manufacturing with self-replicating machines. They don't need to eat or sleep, and their numbers grow exponentially."

"We're getting a ping," Catrina Rennard reported.

"Put it through." Rolland faced the front viewscreen, hands clasped behind his back.

A robed figure appeared in place of the tactical scans. The bearded old man was cloaked in black and red fabric. He stood in a large room with walls of stained glass. The man spoke slowly: "I am Cardinal Abidan, Auditor of the Star Ship Testament. Please identify yourself, and state your purpose here."

Rolland looked over to Catrina. "Open the channel."

Before Catrina brought her hand to the console, Erin Locke stepped forwards to interrupt. "Captain," she interjected.

"Yes?" Rolland looked towards Erin.

"I believe I should make first contact. I'm trained for this."

"So am I." Rolland smiled. "I think I can handle it." He nodded to Catrina. She entered a command, opening the communications channel with an accompanying beep.

"This is Captain Rolland Barron of the Sol Federation Excalibur. We are here as a diplomatic envoy to the Catechumen."

"The Sol Federation?" Cardinal Abidan stroked his grey beard.

"That's right."

"Sol -" the Cardinal stared off into space briefly, then looked back towards Rolland through the viewscreen "- so you're from Earth?"

"Yes." Rolland nodded. "Well, most of the crew, anyway."

"Earth," the Cardinal repeated. "The cradle of humanity. The birthplace of our Lord."

"Err..." Rolland stumbled. "I suppose so, yes."

"Then this is a joyous occasion." Cardinal Abidan smiled. "But why, may I ask, have you come to us now?"

"We heard about the -" Rolland paused to search for a suitable word. "Dispute... Over the Clarion colony."

"Clarion?" Abidan raised an eyebrow.

"The planet -" Rolland motioned to the sphere on the viewscreen "- the planet your fleet is orbitting."

"Ah." Abidan breathed in. "Our most recent demonstration. I would not use the word 'dispute', though, since it implies a contest. In any case, our expedition here is almost complete. We will be leaving shortly."

"Before you leave," Rolland started, "we would request an audience with a representative from your people."

"Of course." Abidan smiled. "I would be happy to speak with you myself. I will make the arrangements for you to meet with me on the Testament."

"Thank you." Rolland nodded.

Abidan nodded in acknowledgement, and the screen blinked off with the closing of the communication link.

"This is bad," Corporal Keenan's face fell. "We really wanna stick around to chat?"

"That's what we're here for," Rolland answered.

"They blew up Clarion without even knowing its name." Keenan threw his arm toward the viewscreen while looking to Rolland. "If our job is to assess the threat, I'd say we're done."

"We got an update on the planetary scan." Victor Underwood's eyes were fixed firmly on the data readout. "Looks like they're stripping the planet. There's mechanical activity all over the surface. Mining, refineries, manufacturing. They're adding to the fleet." Victor tilted his head towards Jordan Rattan. "I think he was right about the robots."

"So maybe they use robots for manufacturing," Erin started, "but do they pose a threat to the Federation? That's the question."

Jordan shook his head. "If they're growing a robot fleet, they're a danger to everyone."

"We still have a job to do." Captain Rolland turned from the viewscreen. "Erin, Jordan: get ready and head over to the bay."

"I am ready." Jordan held up the small compliance he retrieved from his pocket.

"On my way." Erin turned on her heels and headed for the exit.

Captain Barron looked over to Calvin Campbell. "Have a shuttle ready for us."

"You're going with them?" Campbell's brow shot up in surprise.

"That's the plan," Rolland answered.

"Alright." Calvin tapped a command into his console. "Prep'ing shuttle now. They'll be ready for you."

Rolland walked briskly to the exit, catching up with Jordan and Erin as they exitted to the hall.

"We really need to go over there?" Jordan looked to Rolland as the trio made their way down the hall of the Excalibur.

"Yeah," Rolland answered.

"They invited us." Erin glanced over her shoulder towards Jordan as she walked. "We wouldn't want to give the wrong impression."

"But what're we hoping to find?" Jordan asked. "I mean, I think it's clear they pose a threat."

"Is that what you want to put in your report?" Erin raised an eyebrow. "You figured they were a threat so you left? I don't know about you, but I expect to do a thorough job here."

"Meaning what? What do you think we're gonna accomplish over there?"

"We need to learn about them." Erin kept her eyes forward. "Their beliefs, goals, motivations. Their technology. We need to come back with an idea about who they are."

"And there's the issue of the survivors," Rolland added.

"If there still are any," Jordan remarked.

"Yeah." Rolland hit the door to the bay. It slid open revealing the large, open space of the Excalibur's bay, and within it, four shuttles, two scout ships, and a light combat fighter.

"After you." Rolland motioned to the open bay door. "Looks like our ride is ready." He nodded towards the far end of the bay. Forty paces across the deck, shuttle pilot Kristina Alita stood beside one of the smaller crafts, arms folded across her chest. The vehicle's side door was swung fully open towards the ceiling, awaiting its passengers.

"The survivors -" Erin stepped through the bay door "- I've been meaning to talk to you about that." Jordan followed after her.

"What about 'em?" Rolland entered the bay, closing the door behind them. The three began their walk across the deck to the waiting shuttle.

"I know you want to try to help them."

"Yeah. Don't you?"

"Of course I do, but that's not why we're here." Erin stared intently towards Rolland as they walked. "If I see an opportunity to help the survivors without jeopardizing our relationship with the Catechumen, I'll take it. But helping them is not our priority."

The pilot Kristina unfolded her arms as the trio approached her beside the waiting shuttle. "Are we really going over there?"

"That's what I asked," Jordan said. "I think this is nuts, personally."

"That's what we're here for." Rolland rested his arm on the open shuttle door, leaning slightly inside. "You ready?"

"Yep. All set." Kristina stepped over to the separate pilot's door. "Protocol's locked in."

Rolland slipped inside the shuttle and sat. Erin and Jordan followed, taking seats on the long bench inside. The door drew closed behind them with a hiss, sealing with a mechanical suction sound.

"I'll do the talking." Erin turned to Rolland.

"You're worried I'll screw it up?" Rolland smiled. The gentle whirs and hums of the shuttle filled the passenger cabin.

"It's my job," Erin replied. "I know what questions need to be asked and how to ask them."

A fleeting eletrical sensation accompanied their passage through the energy field that seperated the bay from the coldness of space.

"I'm sure you're capable of it," Erin added diplomatically, though she had doubts. Her job required tact, cunning, and always thinking two steps ahead, but Captain Barron struck Erin as someone who was straightforward and expedient by nature. Conversation was not, for people like him, a domain for guile and strategy. "But I've been assigned specific orders as Ambassador for this mission. It wouldn't be appropriate to abdicate that duty. And I'm sure your own orders reflect that as well."

Rolland switched on the shuttle viewscreens, revealing the stars outside. Ahead of them was an enormous cross-shaped vessel drawing steadily closer. Its outer hull shone silver, ornately designed. As the ship expanded in view, more intricate details became visible on its sterling hull.

"If I let you do all the talking -" Rolland looked to Erin "- are you gonna promise to bring up the survivors?"

Erin paused. "I don't know how else to put this: we've all got our orders, and yours don't include taking part in the diplomatic effort here. There's some chance you shouldn't even be on this shuttle. As for the survivors, I'll do the best I can to help them, but within the bounds of our mission here. I give you my word on that. "

"Look at that!" Jordan stared through the viewscreen with wide eyes. An open bay door on the Catechumen vessel was in clear view. Through the door was a vast interior of brilliant colours and designs, contrasting with the silver hull outside. Their shuttle entered the opening, and the colours became an enveloping panorama of luminous fractals. They were surrounded on all sides by walls of stained glass, with vibrant colours and entrancing lucent designs. The room radiated an almost supernatural beauty. Erin, Rolland, and Jordan stared in silence at the architecture as the shuttle settled down. They couldn't help but become lost in the magnificence of the gleaming artistry around them. It evoked an unshakeable spiritual wonderment.

The shuttle door hissed open. Cardinal Abidan stood on the other side, garbed in black and red robes, staring towards them with his aged, bearded face.

"Welcome to the Star Ship Testament." Abidan bowed his head slightly.

"Thank you for agreeing to meet with us, Cardinal. " Rolland rose from his seat and motioned to the others behind him "This is Erin Locke, our ambassador, and Jordan Rattan, a compliance officer."

"A woman ambassador?" Abidan raised a thick, whitened eyebrow. "How odd."

Erin bit her tongue.

"Why is that odd?" Rolland asked.

"First Timothy, chapter two, verse twelve," Abidan replied. "I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man." Abidan glanced back to Erin. "She must remain quiet."

Erin pulled the leatherbound bible from her pocket and flipped its pages in search of the quoted verse. Sure enough, she found the passage, and realized it could be an affront to Abidan's values if she took on the responsibility of ambassador. Rolland might have to take on the role after all. She lifted the book up to Rolland and pointed out the section.

"I'm happy to see you carry the Lord's word." Abidan smiled. "Some of us are concerned that the people of Earth have strayed from the path. Of course, that will all be settled in time."

Rolland looked up from the text. "How's that?"

"Our Lord will judge them." Abidan stared into Rolland's eyes. "There will be a reckoning."

"Of Earth?" Rolland locked eyes with Abidan.

"Of all men." Abidan raised his hands. "Of course, the day and hour no one knows, except the Father."

"Of course," Rolland replied. Erin detected a faint note of sarcasm.

"This is a beautiful room." Jordan stepped from the shuttle, gazing at the resplendent surroundings of stained glass.

"The designs are drawn from the past." Abidan turned to glance over the walls. "Ancient artistry inspired them."

"It's amazing, really. It must have taken ages to do it." Jordan's his eyes tracked across the designs. "And great skill."

"We have machines for that purpose." Abidan smiled. "Like all menial tasks. Construction, maintenance, artistry, and so on. Humans should be freed from performing these base functions."

Jordan looked down to face Abidan, detaching from the splendour of the room. "You use machines to build your fleet?"

"That's right." Abidan nodded, then tilted his head slightly. "Am I right to infer that you don't use machines in this way?"

"No." Jordan shook his head. "We don't."

"Why is that, may I ask?"

"It's considered dangerous to let machines gain control," Jordan explained.

"That is unfortunate." Abidan's face fell. "By using machines to perform these worldly tasks, we are freed to pursue a higher purpose."

"What purpose is that?" Rolland asked.

"To become closer to God." Abidan looked up and smiled. "To study his word. And one day, if we are worthy, to join with Jehovah."

"How much of the work here is done by machines?" Jordan asked.

Abidan brought his eyes down to Jordan. "All of it."

"Everything?" Jordan's eyes widened.

Abidan nodded. "There's no need to be alarmed," he said. "Our machines are perfectly safe."

"How can you be so sure?"

"They are under the control of our Lord."

"Forgive me for not finding that very reassuring," Jordan replied. "What do you mean they're under the control of your Lord?"

"The machines are controlled by Jehovah." Abidan smiled. "Our Lord."

"Maybe there's something I'm missing here." Jordan took a step towards Abidan. "How exactly does your Lord control the machines?"

"Through him all things are possible."

"But machines are physical things," Jordan started. "They have mechanical parts. They follow the laws of physics. For your Lord to intervene there has to be a physical mechanism involved."

"There is indeed."

"So how does that happen?" Jordan asked insistently. "How does your Lord control the machines?"

"It is our greatest creation." Abidan smiled. "The pinnacle of technology. A means to commune directly with the Word of the Lord. I can show it to you, if you like."

Jordan looked to Rolland.

"Sure," Rolland answered in Jordan's place. "If it's not too much trouble, of course."

"I would be happy to." Abidan clasped his hands together and closed his eyes. "Heavenly Father, I ask that you permit me to take the visitors to the Messiah. Amen." He opened his eyes and motioned to their shuttle. "May I travel with you?"

"Travel where?" Rolland asked.

"To the Messiah. Where we built the device. Where we first joined together with the Lord."

"Sure." Rolland answered, raising an eyebrow. "Why not?"

Abidan stepped through the open shuttle door and seated himself on the bench. "Your pilot should be receiving instructions now."

Jordan, Erin, and Rolland joined Abidan inside the shuttle.

"Is that so?" Rolland leaned over and hit a button to communicate with the pilot compartment. "Got an update for me?"

"Yeah." Kristina's voice returned through the communicator. "New protocol coming in."

"Take us there." He deactivated the communicator and turned back to the others. "Well how 'bout that?"

The familiar hums and whirs accompanied the shuttle lift-off, before it sped from the bay of the starship Testament towards the Messiah.

Cardinal Abidan smiled. "I am sure you will find this an enlightening experience."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 304 43
THE CRUCIFIXION OF THE GUILTY IS STILL MORE AWE-INSPIRING THAN THE CRUCIFIXION OF THE INNOCENT; WHAT DO WE MEN KNOW OF INNOCENCE?
117K 8.7K 32
"Death is a natural part of life," he said simply, leaning against the weathered tree. "It is as certain as the change of seasons, and as unforgiving...
123K 3.5K 93
https://m.shubaow.net/175/175017_1/#all Lin An, an apocalyptic young man with supernatural powers, was reborn before returning to the apocalypse. He...
176K 3.4K 174
An accident. She's pregnant. How unlucky. She got pregnant in one shot! What was even more unfortunate was that the end of the world had arrived, and...