After the Crank (TMR Fanfic)...

By SaminaZilfan

Thomas had never been happy living in the safe place. he felt something missing. he couldn't forget about his... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Surprise
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
announcement

Chapter 16

579 19 6
By SaminaZilfan

Though Clarisse and Teressa looked very similar, that fact shocked them. Thomas, Minho, and Sonya stilled in disbelief, especially Thomas. His eyes froze, lingering at Clarisse's blue eyes. His jaw fell down, creating a gap between his lips. He was sure, he knew Teresa more than the others. But, Teresa had never told him about her twin sister. Or she had, and he didn't have any memories about that.

Thomas tried to stirred inside his head, grasping for some memories. He got nothing. The flashes of memories he got after being stung by Griever had faded away. Anyway, he was sure there wasn't any flashes thet related to Teresa's twin sister. There's no way he could remember. Instead, he got headache as his last memory about Teresa stabbed him.

"You alright, Tommy?" Newt tapped Thomas on his knee. He was genuinely concern.

Minho and Sonya aimed their eyes to Thomas spontaneously. Clarisse-who was the one Thomas looked at-didn't need to move her gaze.

Thomas shook his head. His eyes were closed for a second, trying to calm himself. "I ... just ... Clarisse reminds me to her."

"I know. It's not easy for you, Tommy." Newt reached Thomas shoulder, gripping it tightly.

Thomas let go of his eyes from Clarisse to see Minho, Sonya, then Newt. The three of them looked at him as if he'd been caught by the Flare. "Yeah. It's okay." He nodded, ensuring his friends. "Newt's right. I just need time to get used about her presence."

Clarisse let out a long sigh. "No wonder. Newt told me that I'm like a mirror for Teresa. But, I can't recognize her by seeing my face in front of mirror. I wish I've ever met her."

"Clare." Newt said. The tone of his voice showed his concern. He seemingly wanted to say something. But his next words didn't form a voice. Or he hardly found a single word.

"I know." Clarisse nodded. Her sad face swept away by her smile. "Don't look at me that way, Newton! I'm rougher than a stone."

"Yeah. I'll never forget it." Smile escaped from Newt's lip.

Thomas and Minho exchange looks, bewildered how Clarisse could change her mood so fast.

"I think it's time for you to tell the main part of the story. That gossip has spread through the whole city. Sooner or later this place will not be safe anymore. That means, we have to make a plan to get out of this place." Clarisse glared at Thomas as she said her last sentence.

Newt nodded. He was about to open his mouth when Thomas asked impatiently. "What gossip? Why do you look at me as if I'm a threat?"

"Sorry, Thomas." Clarisse quickly answered. "No offense. They want you."

"WICKED?" Minho guessed. His nerve hardened by the mention of WICKED.

"What the hell happen here? How could WICKED take action here? Where's the Right Arm?" Gally blurted out. His face showed disbelief.

"I think you guys have to listen to my story." Newt answered calmly. He wandered his eyes to the others one by one, asking for confirmation. No one nodded or told agreement. However, their sharp looks explicitly were the answers. "Okay. I'm gonna start."

Thomas fully paid attention to Newt. He was ready to hear something more horrible.

"You do remember the situation in this city before the Right Arm flied to WICKED's head quarter, don't you? It was very disorganized here. Cranks were everywhere. They acted uncontrollably, attacking whoever they met, destroying everything. And the most important, there were so many of them around the city. The guards gave up to take care of this bloody place. They struggled hard to safe their selves. No time to take care of the others." Newt paused, letting himself take a breath.

"When the Right Arm made their way back, the situation hasn't changed yet. They difficultly took control of the buggin' Cranks. Needed some days until they finally could gather the Cranks at a place, then exploded that place. That was against humanity, I know. There was no other choice to save this place though. And that was the last thing the Right Arm took action in this city. Due to rumor, they got out from the city, searching for another good place to live. You do know, not all of thew were immune meanwhile this city wes infected by the Flare."

"Where did they go?" Gally demanded. No wonder his curiosity was bigger than the others. They were his former group and they'd ever saved him.

"I don't know." Newt shrugged. "No one know."

"So, how could WICKED landed in this city?" this time was from Thomas.

"Far before we got to the city, there were a few member of WICKED here." Newt told. "They were hiding. They worked in silence, kidnapping some immunes, then took them to headquarter until the Right Arm destroy WICKED headquarter. And then, after the Right Arm left, they've been working openly. Fortunately, the got support from the native, especially from they who weren't immune since they have lied about their imaginative cure."

"How? They'll start another trial?" Sonya interrupted.

"I think so. That's why they kidnapped some munnies, hiding them. Kevin and the others were their targets either. Luckily, Clare and me found them and escaped them before WICKED took them. But, until now, they still hunt for the munnies."

"I don't get it," Thomas muttered. "They lost their resources to do their shuckin' trial ... unless they have another headquarter."

"That's it. I heard they have another headquarter, a secret headquarter. And they've prepared for that buggin' trial. They also talked about Flat Trans. So, I think, they might be serious."

"We have to get out of this place before the Right Arm find us." Gally suggested.

"Yeah, particularly, you Tommy." Newt gave him the look of command. "You shouldn't be here. All of the people here have heard that rumor. They will hunt you."

Thomas swallowed the lump that formed in his throat. His adrenalin rose, making his heart thump harder. "So the rumor's about me? They already knew that my brain is the last thing they need to make a blueprint for the cure?"

"Your brain?" Newt folded his forehead, shocking Thomas because he'd seemingly just known about that. "No, Tommy. Not your bloody brain. The rumor is your blood. They said they could make the serum for the Flare, using your blood."

"That's a lie." Thomas told.

"Yeah. Whatever. We have to get out of this place. That's the bloody point. I hope whatever you used to get here, can take us back."

"I'm sure Jorge can handle that." Minho said, optimistically.

Thomas nodded to Minho, having the same thought. "So, when will we go?"

"Tomorrow," Clarisse answered, making the other stared at her. She only shrugged. "The sooner, the better."

"Clare's right." Newt stood up. "Now, you better get rest. Kevin and the others will serve dinner for us." Newt turned, making his way away from them.

"Where are you going, Newt?" Thomas asked.

"Check the others." Newt answered as he headed the stairs, walked up in hurry.

"He's always like that. Too worry if the others don't come back before the sunset." Clarisse explained. "Don't worry, I'm sure they'll arrive soon."

"I'll go after him." Thomas tried to get on his feet.

"Thomas," Minho reached his arm, stopping him. "Just let me! I think you have another little problem." Minho glanced at Clarisse, then winked at him.

Brenda. Thomas thought. Minho was right. He needed to talk to her.

"I'll go with you," Sonya demanded.

"With pleasure, sister."

Then, they both made their way upstairs.

***

Thomas easily found Brenda. She was sitting on the railway with Jorge. They faced each other, but seemed no to look at each other. Brenda was observing the railway, as if she was measuring it while Jorge played with gravels.

Thomas walked carefully. He didn't want to break the silence with the sound of his footsteps. A dozen feet away from them, he stopped. He placed his arm in his pockets, eyes lingered at Brenda, seeming hesitant to move closer or turn away to give them privacy. He could only watch them until several moment.

"Hola, hermano."

Thomas was ready to take a step backward when Jorge called him. Brenda quickly turned his head to face him. He hardly curved his lips, forming an ugly smile. Brenda didn't smile back, just stared at him. Jorge broke the eye contact with Thomas. He reached Brenda's shoulder before he stood up. He walked toward Thomas.

"It's your turn." Jorge stopped in front of Thomas to squeeze his shoulder, then continued to step.

Thomas's gaze followed Jorge until he vanished from his eyes. He moved his gaze, meeting Brenda's who still stared at him.

"Hey, may I sit?" The tone of his voice sounded unsteady. He was worry to get refused.

"Sure." Brenda nodded. She finally took her eyes away from Thomas. Before that, Thomas was sure he saw a slightest hint of smile flash across her face, filling his chest with relief.

Thomas approached her, taking a place in front of her. "So, how long is this railway?"

"What?" Brenda frowned, not understanding Thomas's question.

Thomas smiled to see Brenda who was confused. "You looked at the railway very serious, as if you you were measuring it."

Brenda laughed, adding relief to his chest. He was really happy to see Brenda genuinely laughed.

"You're funny, Thomas." Brenda mumbled.

"You know I'm a funny guy." Thomas giggled, but stopped soon. He closed his mouth, hesitating to say the next sentence. He needed to take a deep inhale before pulled the words out from his throat. "I'm sorry."

"You didn't do anything wrong, Thomas," Brenda's tone barely changed. Her laugh disappeared.

"Okay, if you think so. But, I think I need to appologize."

"How if I can't forgive you?" Brenda lifted his head, looking straight at Thomas eyes.

Thomas felt the heat transfered from her eyes, making his own eyes burnt. Ache spread through his body. He didn't hope such that answer. The one and only answer he hopped-desperately hopped-was forgiveness.

"I'm joking, Thomas." Brenda smirked satisfyingly. "I've said previously, you didn't do anything wrong. If you think there's something wrong, it's not about you. This is between me and ... something inside of me."

"So, that means you don't get angry to me?"

Brenda chuckled. "Get angry? For what?"

"You know the answer exactly."

"No Thomas." Brenda shook. "I don't get angry. Well, I think I can't get angry to you." Brenda widened his lips.

Thomas let out a small smile. In this dim room, he saw her eyes shiny. It was easy for him to like her more and more. Her care, kindness, the way she looked at the situation .. everything about her was special.

"Um, don't look at me that way, Thomas!" Brenda asked. "That makes me think I mean something dor you."

"Yes, you mean something for me."

Brenda blushed. She immediatelly btowed her head. She acted strangely as she pick up a gravel, thumping it to another gravel. Silence hang over the room for a moment.

"So, what's the plan?" Brenda decided to change the topic.

"We're going to leave tomorrow. I'm sure Jorge did something so we can get back to Safe Haven using that Berg." Thomas told.

"Yeah, Jorge did his part perfectly. Then, what do we do now?"

"Newt said, Kevin and the others were serving the dinner. Hungry?"

"That's a good news. I already forgot the taste of the apple we eat this morning."

Thomas stood up. He reached out, catching Brenda's hand. "Let's meet the others."

Brenda nodded, undoubtly taking his hand.

They strode very slowly, spending two minutes to arrive at the main room. Newt, Minho, Sonya, and the others gathered there. Minho spotted him first. He snickered, giving him the look of curiousity. Thomas didn't understand it until Minho spoke up.

"Aw, you two are so sweet."

Thomas and Brenda exchanged glares. They'd just realized that they were holding on each other. They quickly loosened their each hand. Too late because everyone had seen it. And they started staring at Thomas and Brenda. Thomas tried hard to ignore their stare, walking as normal as he could to get closer to his friends.

"It seems everyting's goin' well?" Minho asked. His smile was very annoying.

"Everything's goin' well." Thomas repeated reluctantly.

"Good that."

"Newt, where's the kitchen?" Sonya asked, escaping Thomas from Minho's thought. He needed to thank her. "I want to make myself useful."

"That way." Newt aimed his face to the hallway at the right corner of the room.

Sonya followed his guide, walking toward that hallway.

"I'm going with you," Brenda walked right behind Sonya's heels.

"So glad you can handle that, Tommy."

"What? Not that again, Newt. Please, stop talking about that klunk."

"Okay. Forget it. You look so funny with that red face." Newt laughed, making Thomas blushed once again. But, he suddenly stopped laughing as he caught Minho lingered his eyes at Sonya. "What are you looking at, shank?"

Minho was a bit startled by Newt's question. He looked strange since he suddenly scratched his head. His lips quivered, trying to release a single word. No sound came though. Thomas couldn't help, but smiled.

"Don't you dare, shuck face!" Newt warned him. He sounded more like a brother.

"Don't worry." Minho got control on himself immediately. He grinned, making him looked like the real 'Minho'. "I just can't take my eyes away from her. She's too hot."

"What?" Newt rose his eyebrows. Now, he was like a father.

"Forgive me, big brother." Minho laughed, taking a few steps backward. He didn't give a damn about direction. When he turned his body, he faced the wall. He couldn't avoid, but hit it.

A sudden burst of laugh filled the room.

***

To be continued.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

992 33 24
Newt has been to hell and back with his friends. The Glade, The Maze, The Scorch, The inner halls of WICKED. But now he has a burden that can't be s...
1K 47 42
Minho and Newt have been friends and lovers for a long time, and everything was okay. Until it wasn't. After the maze, they both start sinking into g...
3.2K 91 14
❝i wish i could believe you, i really do. but maybe this time it really is the end.❞ MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE book three of three in the ❛THOSE WH...
19.7K 191 98
"I know it's hard to believe, but I never wanted this. I didn't mean to go this far. I only wanted the pain to stop." After waking up in the Maze, Y...