Never Giving Up

De Natasha_Smith

Time has passed since Kaylee found out that Luca has a daughter. Days turned into weeks and before she knew i... Mai multe

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38

Chapter 28

1K 45 7
De Natasha_Smith

After Jade drops me off at the office, I work nonstop until it's time to go home. After finally hearing back from Jackie, it felt there was a major weight been lifted off my shoulders when it comes to her event we're all helping to plan. All that will be left to do for her event from my behalf is her response on whether or not her client is happy with the choices I've laid out in terms of gifts so we can go forward and order everything.

But that's tomorrow's issue to worry about.

I'm just about to take a microwaveable meal out the freezer for my dinner when someone knocking on the front door stops me in my tracks. I abandon trying to take something out the freezer and walk to answer the door.

"I come baring food," Luca says when the door is open wide enough for me to see him.

He's leaning against the door frame with his right shoulder and holds the bag of takeaway food up with his left hand for me to see.

"So I can see," I comment. I open the door wider and Luca steps over the threshold, closing the door behind him. "You must have known that I was only going to have a microwave meal for my dinner."

He hands the food to me and shrugs out of his leather jacket, hanging it up with the other coats and jackets near the front doors. "It's either that or some Chinese food."

We walk into the kitchen and I place the food on the worktop. I place two plates and the cutlery near the food while Luca busies himself with pouring some Diet Coke into a glass for himself.

"What'd you get?" I ask, pulling everything out the plastic bag.

"Our usual," he replies. He moves to take a seat on one of the bar stools and makes himself comfy. "Set meal for two."

I open the containers and smile brightly. "Spring rolls, spare ribs, sweet & sour chicken with fried rice. How'd you remember-"

"That this was our usual Friday night takeaway dinner?" Luca finishes. He reaches out and starts dividing the food up between the two plates. "We had this each Friday night since we started dating back then. How can I not forget that?"

I say nothing.

He never ceases to amaze me when it comes to the things we used to do as a couple. He remembers the smallest of things from our relationship which he's carrying forward into our reconciled relationship. Things that may not seem important to some people but to us, it means a lot.

It shows how much both of us weren't far from each other's mind over the past nine years. No matter the distance that's been between us and the time that's gone by, just knowing that we've both remembered key aspects of each others lives is something no one can take away from us.

Luca finishes putting the food out and settles back on the bar stool, picking up his fork to begin eating. He looks up at me and flashes me a small smile. I lean across the worktop and give him a chaste kiss.

"I love you," I whisper before pulling back.

"I love you, too." He replies before starting to eat.

I move the empty containers away to the side and pick up my fork.

"A little birdy told me that you've been getting friendly with Jade," Luca mentions.

I look at him with a grin. "Not getting jealous, are you?"

"Not in the slightest," he shakes off. "It was Fredrick that actually told me as she borrowed his car today."

"Sounds like someone is jealous." I take a sip of water but keep the glass in my hand. "I thought you'd be happy that we were getting along."

"I'm more than happy you're getting along," he defends, putting a forkful of rice into his mouth. He chews a few times and swallows. "Thank you. I know you don't need to befriend her just because of me, but I'm glad you're both getting along because you both like spending time together. It means a lot."

"She's very easy to get along with," I nod. I place my glass down and rest my elbows on the worktop then start eating my dinner. "We've spoken a lot and she's given me some good advice on how to handle our relationship when it comes to the paparazzi."

"Really? Do tell."

"If I did, what would-"

I stop mid-sentence at the sound of the front door opening and closing. Giggling overpowers my voice and I stare at the kitchen door, waiting patiently for the occupants who have entered my flat to make their appearance. In no time, the door opens and Allison stops short when she spots Luca and I, Greg coming to an abrupt halt behind her until he's pressed flush against her back.

"Oh, good evening." She acknowledges, her lips drawing in after she speaks. The hand she has on the door handle quickly removes itself from it and hides behind her back. "I-I thought you were staying at Luca's tonight."

"And why would I do that when this is my flat?"

"It's just-" She looks at Greg then back to me. "Fair point."

Silence.

I move only my eyes to look at Luca. He raises his brows then looks down at his food and continues to eat like there's nothing going on. I look back at Allison to see her hands clasp together over the strap of her shoulder bag. Greg's hands are running back and forth over her shoulders, looking anywhere but into the kitchen.

I raise my arm and rest my chin on the back of my hand. "So, what was your plan for tonight?"

"Huh?" Allison looks directly at me, eyes wide like I've caught her off-guard with something. "Nothing. Not important."

"You sure?"

"Positive."

I stare her down. "You really sure?"

"I . . ." She looks up at Greg and he signals for her to say something. "Actually . . ." She lets go of her bag and takes a single step forward so she's at arm's length from Greg. She holds her left hand up, the back of her hand facing me with her fingers spread. "I'm engaged."

"What?!?" I squeal, my arm slipping off the worktop and almost causing me to hit my face off the solid surface.

Luca starts coughing and I look at him. He sits his glass down after taking a few sips to try and help with his coughing.

"Sorry," he apologises. He coughs a few more times and holds a hand up as a silent way of saying he's alright. "It's just the shock. I'll be fine."

"You could at least say congratulations rather than acting stunned," Allison tells him.

"Oh, congratulations. Definitely. Your fiancé sure as hell is going to need it to be tied down to you for the rest of his life."

Allison huffs. "Really, Luca? If you ever get down on one knee and pop the question to Kaylee, I'll feel sorrier for her having to look at your mug every morning."

"Tell me something, Allison, but does your fiancé's house have enough room for you to park your broom?"

"If not, I can always park it at your house when Kaylee moves in with you. Hey, I'll even let you borrow it to do some housework for yourself instead of the crazy money you pay for housekeepers."

"Then how will you get around to all your peasants to perform your witchcraft?"

"Come on, guys, cut it out. Please." I chime in.

"It's only a bit of banter, Kaylee." Allison smirks.

"Still."

"She knows I don't mean it," Luca ends with a sneer.

"Ditto," Allison smiles.

"Even so, I don't think that's an appropriate way to talk to someone," Greg defends, staring at Luca in disgust after his comments that three out of the four of us know to be a joke.

"It's fine," Allison assures, patting Greg on the chest as he pushes them both into the kitchen as a way of trying to get to Luca. "It's just how he is. I've put up with a lot worse than that over the years from him."

"He always talks to you like that?" Greg's eyes darken as he stares intensely at Luca, his anger clearly beginning to build from the inside out. "That's not how you talk to anyone, let alone a woman."

"Greg, that's how our relationship has been since day one," Allison explains calmly.

"There's banter then there's just straight up nastiness. He's being the latter."

"I'm sure your best friend would disagree on what you class as being nasty to someone." Luca gets to his feet and pulls at the bottom of his burgundy jumper so it sits neatly over his dark blue jeans. "I mean, it was him that had it in his mind that he was going to spike my girlfriend's drink and do whatever he liked to her until I stepped in and stopped him."

"Terence would never do anything like that!" Greg shouts in defence of his idiotic friend. He sidesteps Allison and moves closer to Luca. "I've met a lot of you over the years. Men who act all big and tough when they have people around them to protect them but when they're on their own, they're cowards."

"Do you really think I'm a coward? Only true cowards call others cowards and if I were you, I'd watch what you're going to do next because you really have no idea who I am or what I'm capable of."

Luca folds his arms over his chest and waits for Greg to go on.

Greg tilts his head to the side and smirks.

"You're Luca Madden. CEO of J.N. Holdings. Used to be classed as an eligible bachelor until you finally saw sense and got back together with none other than your childhood ex."

"Hey!" I shout in both defence and insult.

"No offence, Kaylee, but you're only someone to fill a void for him. You'll only ever be that for him."

"I'm warning you, now, Greg." Luca says through gritted teeth. "Stop while you're ahead."

"Why don't you make me," Greg fires back instantly.

"Allison, control your fiancé," I advise my best friend.

"Maybe this is what they need to do in order for them to move forward," Allison shrugs.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I glare at her. "They could tare each other apart unless you tell Greg to drop it."

"Kaylee, it's fine." Luca assures more calmly, hearing my pleas to Allison. I look back at him as Greg comes to stop directly in front of him, almost looking at him at eye level but not quite. "He's just unhappy because he doesn't like the fact that a real man has come onto the scene. Someone he categorically has to try and get along with for the sake of his fiancée because I'm the boyfriend of his fiancée's best friend. He doesn't get the banter Allison and I have together and that we've always had that. He doesn't understand our past or how it works."

"Like any of that matters," Greg spits. He pokes a finger in Luca's chest, trying to make him step back but he goes nowhere. "When you're out in the real world, you're the bigshot. But when you're within these walls, you're a nobody."

"I could say the same thing about you," Luca retorts.

"How can you be so calm?" I ask, stepping cautiously closer to the two men squaring off with each other. "This is something you should be getting angry about."

"I'm being the bigger man," Luca tells me.

I shake my head and turn to Allison. "If you don't stop Greg right now, I will."

"Greg won't go too far, Kaylee. I know he wouldn't."

"Fine." I reach for my phone out my jogger bottoms pocket. "Have it your way."

I walk into the hall and dial the only number I know for only one of two people I know will be close by. I press the phone to my ear and wait for it to be answered.

"Miss. Fletcher." Jones answers professionally.

"Jones, I need you to come to my flat right now." I glance back at the kitchen, Luca's tone of voice changing in a way that showcases his impending anger as he and Greg go back and forth with insults. "My friend's fiancé is squaring up to Luca and I have a feeling that it's not going to end well."

"I'll be right there, Miss. Fletcher."

I end the call and walk back into the kitchen in time to hear Luca tare into Greg without punches being thrown – yet.

"You can't pass judgment on someone like me when all you care about is trying to put a dived up between Kaylee and Allison. You don't give a fucking damn about who may get hurt in the process because all you've ever seen when you've looked at Kaylee is someone who was a spare wheel in your relationship.

"If she was, she'd be with you and Allison on every date you've been on when I know she hasn't. She's not that kind of person. She never has been and she's not going to start. She has her own life and judging by the way Allison reacted when I gave Kaylee her birthday present, it seems like your so-called wealth isn't good enough for her as she spent thousands of dollars on items for Kaylee without blinking to ask the price."

"Are you calling my fiancée a gold-digger?"

"Of course someone like you would jump to that conclusion. No, I'm not."

"It fucking sounds like it."

"Do you know what I really think is going on here. I think you're actually intimidated by me. You're scared that the history I have between Kaylee and Allison will eclipse what you've done to keep them two apart. You're scared that they'll start hanging out together like old times and that means you don't get to spend most of your day with Allison. You don't like the fact that I'm far more superior than you'll ever be. You loathe the fact that my wealth is self-made and not inherited. You hate the fact that-"

Luca's rant is cut short when Greg's clenched fist connects with his jaw. His head turns to the side with the impact. Greg grabs a handful of Luca's jumper in his hands and pulls him to him with force, his knuckles are turning white from the vice grip.

"Greg, stop!" Allison screams.

Her plea goes unheard, though.

"You're going to regret saying anything to me, Madden." Greg warns.

I turn my back from the scene, unwilling to watch what may happen next. I don't want to see what's going to happen next but judging by the hold Greg has on Luca, it's not going to end well.

I hear scuffling and more pleas from Allison being ignored, followed closely by Allison pushing against me then grunts and swearing coming from Greg. I look at Allison then turn round to the scene I didn't want to see before.

Greg is pinned to the wall by Carlo, his hands held behind his back by only one of Carlo's hands. Jones is standing by Luca, checking him over but there's not even a scratch on him other than the redness on his jaw.

"I'm fine. I'm fine." Luca rolls his shoulders a few times and rubs his jaw. He walks close to Greg who is trying to get out of the hold Carlo has on him. "You'll be hearing from my lawyers before the night is over."

Luca walks away and into the hall. I shoot Allison a look that silently tells her that I told her so, and follow Luca into the hall.

"Luca," I breathe. I reach a hand out to get his attention but he shrugs me off. "Luca, talk to me."

He slips his leather jacket on then turns to look at me. "I'm not trying to tell Allison who she should date or anything, but if she wishes to be married to that for the rest of her life, I'm not going to play nice with him for either of your sakes."

"No one is asking you to be nice to him," I defend. "I'm not his biggest fan, either. He's a cocky, rich, stuck-up guy and I hate that kind of people."

"And what does that make me? Am I not one of those cocky, rich, stuck up guys? I mean, I'm rich and when people first me, the first thing they think is that I'm cocky because of how I act."

I shake my head. "I know you're not like that."

"Really? Because you've just said that you hate that kind of guys and technically, I'm one of those types of guys. I'm one of those guys so do you actually hate me? Are you only saying that you love me for the sake of saying it to protect my feelings?"

"Luca, I'm not-"

"Because everything I have ever told you when it comes to my feelings towards you is true. I've only ever truly loved you and I'd do anything for you. If you told me to leave, I'd leave. If you told me you don't love me, I wouldn't force you to try and love me. I'd respect your decision, for all I wouldn't like it, but I'd never try and force this relationship on you."

"Luca-"

"I don't need you to protect my feelings. I don't anyone to protect my feelings because I've done that for myself for the last nine fucking years. But now that I've finally gotten back the one thing that has kept me sane for those nine years, I'm at risk of losing it because I know you'll pick your best friend over me."

"Luca, I'm not picking anyone."

"Don't kid yourself, Kaylee. She's been your best friend for a lot longer than what you have been together for on both occasions. She's like a sister to you. I know you'll pick your friendship over our relationship any day. I know if I don't make an attempt to be friendly with Greg that you'll toss me away because we can't have double dates with them."

"I don't need you to be nice to Greg. Neither does Allison."

"You both say that now but I know the truth. I can see it written on both of your faces. I can tell you both need us to be friends but it's not going to happen. I feel like I've gone back to my teenage years with how I've just acted and I'm not like that. I've never been like that since high school. It's juvenile and I'm old enough to know how stupid I've just acted but it's what he's brought out in me.

"I can't bare to be in the same room as him knowing that his best friend tried to spike your drink to do whatever he wanted to you. I can't look at him without feeling the need to rip his head off for allowing his friend to even attempt to do that to someone."

"Luca," I exhale.

"No. I'm done." He opens the front door. "I need to go."

He walks away, slamming the door as he goes.

"Kaylee," Allison says quietly, coming to stand in front of me. Her hands fall onto my shoulders and I look at her. "Are-"

"Wha-" I look at the front door, tears falling from my eyes. "What just happened?"

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

71 9 54
Sophia and Collin don't know anything about relationships. So, how will this end? Are they friends or something... more? Book 1 of 3 Achievements: #2...
4.4M 155K 50
*BEING RE-WRITTEN* "I never once told you I broke the engagement," his words were harsh and spoken in a cold voice but his hand that was running up a...
221K 8.4K 51
Charlotte's life at home was anything but simple. There was a lot of fighting and money issues, but everyone climbs a mountain to see the sunrise. Ch...
130K 9K 71
It's been three years since Zoey and Caleb brought their baby girl Cecilia into the world. Since then life hasn't slowed down for either of them. Zoe...