Her Mentor [BeyxMani]

By jblingy

Normani dreams of making it in the entertainment industry and gets the opportunity of a lifetime when her bos... More

Author's Note
Her Mentor [Prologue]
Her Mentor Part 1
Her Mentor Part 2
Her Mentor Part 3
Her Mentor Part 4
Her Mentor Part 5
Her Mentor Part 6
Her Mentor Part 7
Her Mentor Part 8
Her Mentor Part 9
Her Mentor Part 10
Her Mentor Part 11
Her Mentor Part 13
Her Mentor Part 14
Her Mentor Part 15
Her Mentor Part 16
Her Mentor Part 16
Her Mentor Part 17
Her Mentor Part 18
Her Mentor Part 19
Her Mentor Part 20
Her Mentor Part 21
Her Mentor Part 22
Her Mentor Part 23
Her Mentor Part 24
Her Mentor Part 25
Her Mentor Part 26
Her Mentor Part 27
Her Mentor Part 28
Her Mentor Part 29
Her Mentor Part 30
Her Mentor Part 31 (A)
Her Mentor Part 31 (B)

Her Mentor Part 12

3.6K 168 105
By jblingy

When Normani finally arrived at work that Monday morning, she found members of the Parkwood team around her cubicle. But why?

"Um, good morning," she called, gaining their attention. That was when Normani noticed a bouquet of flowers on her desk.

"Special delivery," Princeton said with a smile.

"Those are for me?"

"They're on your desk, aren't they?"

Her colleagues made space for her as she walked to and stood before her desk. She lifted the fresh flowers. She had to admit they were beautiful, but who were they from? Her parents? Beyoncé?

Her lower region throbbed at just the thought of the latter. Would Beyoncé be so bold to gift her flowers in the office?

She popped up at your house, her mind reminded her. And she'd confessed her feelings to Normani. The 23-year-old began to feel nervous only because she didn't want the others to suspect anything. She didn't want them in their business.

"These are really nice," she said to her audience, wishing for them to go away so she could find out who the sender was.

"Aren't you gonna read the note?" Karen, a white woman in her early thirties asked.

"I'll read it later," Normani said, staring at the small white card.

"Honey, we already know who it's from," Tilda, a mature staff member said. Everyone made noises of disapproval and embarrassment at the admission.

Normani raised her brow and looked at all of them, seeing the guilty smiles. "I see."

Princeton laughed. "Sorry, Mani, I couldn't resist. I needed to know who your secret admirer was."

Normani assessed the situation. If their calm reaction was anything to go by she didn't need to worry about the flowers being from Beyoncé.

"Read it!" Yara urged, bouncing on her feet in excitement. The intern picked up the card.

Normani,

Thanks for a great interview last week.

Here's something to show my appreciation.

-Keith (Powers)

555-456-1244

"Wow," Normani said, genuinely surprised.

"I am so jealous! I really should have been there," Yara pouted.

Tilda on the other hand was unamused. "I'd throw those away if I were you."

Everyone except Princeton and Tammy gasped. Those two didn't seem at all shocked by the older woman's words.

"Throw them away? Why?" Normani asked.

"Because he's gonna expect special treatment, this has conflict of interest written all over it," Tilda said. "And you don't want those problems."

"Oh Tilda, I think he was just being sweet. What's the difference between this and a thank-you note?"

"The difference is he left his number," Tilda smirked. "Now you tell me how many people leave you their phone number in thank-you notes."

Princeton looked at Normani and rolled his eyes in amusement.

"Hey, I think it's sweet," Karen told Normani with a shrug as she walked away.

"Call him!" Yara mouthed to Normani before also dispersing from the crowd.

"You know who know knows I'm right?" Tilda didn't wait for a response and instead answered her own question, "Beyoncé. Let's go."

Normani's eyes widened for a second. "Um—"

"Come on, since everyone else wanna act like I'm crazy."

"Does she know about these?" Normani asked, her eyes darting at Tilda and Princeton.

"No, but she gon' find out," said the woman. She stopped her stroll to look at Normani, who wasn't behind her.

"She's been in her office all morning," Princeton told Normani, referring to Beyoncé.

Normani nodded and felt obligated to follow Tilda. Seconds later they were standing before the CEO's door with Tilda knocking and announcing their presence.

All Normani could do was worry about Beyoncé's reaction to the flowers coming from Keith. The woman had already made it clear that she had a jealous and territorial streak.

Beyoncé answered the door with a smile. "Hello." She and Normani shared a lingering look before she let them inside her spacious and clean, deep-teal hued office.

"So that Keith Powers boy sent Normani flowers along with his phone number, and Normani's sweet and innocent self can't see what's really going on here," Tilda said, wasting no time. "I told her you would understand why this would be a problem."

Normani looked at Beyoncé who kept her composure and arched a brow curiously. "Oh, really? When did he give you flowers?" her gaze now glued to Normani.

"This morning, I guess. I saw them on my desk when I got here. He was just thanking me for a great interview."

"And he left his number," Tilda reminded.

Beyoncé nodded, now just looking at Tilda. "Hmm, well, that was nice. We want our clients to feel pleased. But there is a line. There are boundaries."

"See?" Tilda looked at Normani, with a knowing smile.

"Right, but I'm pretty sure Keith didn't mean it that way," Normani repeated.

Tilda and Beyoncé looked at each other and chuckled.

"Please, you are a beautiful girl," Tilda said, to which the CEO nodded in agreement. "You think that boy just wanna be friends with you? Anyway, that's all I had to say."

"Thank you, Tilda," Beyoncé said and smiled.

Tilda nodded and glanced at Normani as she turned around towards the door. "You coming?"

"Not yet," Beyoncé answered for Normani. Tilda closed the door behind her, leaving the two in privacy.

Normani wanted to sigh, but a part of her was excited for what was to come.

"You can sit," Beyoncé said.

"So how are you?" Normani asked, taking a seat in the armchair.

"Good," she said, sitting down as well, smirking. "So, Keith..."

"I was just as surprised as you, I wasn't expecting him to do that, but I think it's sweet."

"It is sweet. But he needs to keep it professional."

"For all we know that's just who he is."

Beyoncé looked confused. "Just who he is?"

"Yeah, that's probably how he expresses his gratitude." Normani shrugged. "Some people are like that."

"Maybe. But I'm not interested in all that."

"Oh. What are you interested in?"

"You know what." Beyoncé smirked and leaned forward, holding her stare on the 23-year-old.

Normani broke into a smile before looking down and shaking her head, a bit bashful.

"We're going out to eat 5:00PM on the dot," Beyoncé announced. "And then your mentorship begins." She winked.

"Ooooh, where are we going?" Normani smiled brightly.

"For dinner? Somewhere nice."

Normani laughed. "I would hope so! But no, I meant where is my mentorship gonna be at?"

"I'm not saying. You have to wait and see." Even her smile was secretive.

"Argh!" Normani joked.

Beyoncé laughed. "You'll survive, you only have a couple hours to go. Can you wait just a couple more hours?"

Normani sighed. "I have no choice, do I?"

"Nope," Beyoncé agreed. "But I have something to hold you over." She stood up and Normani thought she was about to get something, but instead the boss approached her. Beyoncé motioned for her to stand up, in which she did. She was suddenly pulled into Beyoncé's body. "Get it? Hold you over?" Beyoncé quietly chuckled, earning a stale look from her intern.

"Off with you." But Normani could only smile as she held her mentor, who laughed again. She gradually tightened her hold around the singer, taking in her fruity scent.

Beyoncé slowly released her after a long embrace. Her eyes were darkened. "I'll see you later, okay?" She pressed a long kiss into her cheek and then smiled.

***

Beyoncé watched the joy spread through Normani when she brought her inside the recording studio.

"Is this your first time in a studio?" The CEO asked, a little confused because of Normani's background in songwriting.

"No, but I haven't been in one in ages. So thank you!" She smiled and brought her arms around Beyoncé. The 35-year-old had a warm look in her eyes as she held her mentee. After a tour of Beyoncé's favorite recording studio in New York City, she suggested they experiment.

A nervous and enthralled Normani put on headphones and positioned herself in front of the mic.

"You got this," Beyoncé said, putting a thumbs up.

"I don't even know what I'm singing."

"You're a songwriter."

"But I don't have my song book."

Beyoncé just looked at her.

"Okay, okay," Normani said, laughing lightly. "I have something."

"I know you do."

Normani closed her eyes and started singing one of her original songs. "Always looking over my shoulder 'cause I don't ever wanna miss you. Got me thinking about you daily, can't wait to see your face. I don't even know you but I know that I can't wait to kiss you. Somehow I know when we finally lock eyes that you'll feel the same way..."

Beyoncé gazed deeply at the young artist. She could tell Normani had been nervous at first but then she lost herself in the song.

"That's all I got," Normani breathed out when she finished, a light smile on her face.

"That was good," Beyoncé said. "I think we can work on your breathing a little more. But I liked that."

"Oh, you liked that?" Normani's smile broadened.

"Yeah. Is that song personal?"

"Actually it is."

"I can tell." Beyoncé smiled.

"How?" Normani asked, looking serious.

Beyoncé winked.

"What is that supposed to mean, Bey? What's with the wink?" Normani questioned.

"Calm down, princess. It means I'm pretty good at knowing when a song is true to someone. Is that alright with you?"

Normani let out a sheepish laugh. "I wanna try it again. If we have time."

Beyoncé looked at her phone to check the time. "We still have about another half hour. Remember, breath control."

"I got it," Normani said with confidence. She sang that first verse again and then the hook. "You're gonna be all I've needed, you make me feel like a dream. Whoever you are, baby you are, the one I'm waiting for." She suddenly slowed down as Beyoncé strutted over to her.

"Keep going," Beyoncé said and eased her hands on Normani's stomach.

Normani tensed up but tried to keep her cool.

"I just want you to breathe in," Beyoncé said.

The mentee closed her eyes and inhaled.

"Now let go."

Then she slowly exhaled.

"Push your stomach in."

Normani obeyed again. She felt hands on her shoulders.

"Keep still."

Normani didn't move her position and repeated the exercise.

"Good, girl. Again."

Beyoncé smiled as Normani seemed to get the hang of it. "Okay, now look at me and do it."

"I can't do this...." Normani laughed a little mid-exercise.

"Why not? You were doing great."

"I can't breathe in and out while just staring at you, Beyoncé."

"I don't understand. What's the problem?"

"It's awkward as fuck."

Beyoncé rolled her eyes. "Everything is awkward with you millennials." Then she smiled and rested her manicured hand on Normani's shoulder. "Do I make you nervous? Is that what this is about?"

Normani rolled her own eyes this time. "Girl, bye. You are an awkward queen most times."

"Awkward queen?" Beyoncé repeated, making them both laugh. "Mani, you are something else. We'll continue this tomorrow."

Normani smiled sweetly at her, batting her eyelashes. "Thank you, boo."

"Mhm," Beyoncé smirked.

Both women got ready and were driven to a venue, undisclosed to Normani. This entire outing with Beyoncé, starting from the soul food dinner and studio visit, had been a secret. Beyoncé was excited for Normani to see what she had planned for her next.

Normani's eyes enlarged when she saw a billboard for Janet Jackson as they entered the gates and parking area. "No!" she looked at Beyoncé for confirmation.

"No, what?" Beyoncé played dumb.

"We are NOT seeing Janet fucking Jackson tonight." Normani was now pointedly looking at her.

Now Beyoncé was beginning to fear she was misinterpreting this reaction. The intern could sense the apprehension on the lighter skinned woman's part and breathed out in awe, "Are we really seeing Janet tonight?"

Beyoncé nodded, staring at her searchingly.

Normani's jaw dropped in mirth and she bounced in her seat. "Oh my God! Beyoncé!"

Beyoncé exhaled in relief. The girl had her nervous for a moment.

Normani threw her arms around the other and kissed her cheek over and over. Beyoncé laughed and held her waist. "Wow, you really love Janet, huh?"

"I do but this day so far has been amazing," Normani confessed, looking straight into her eyes. "Thank you!" She then hopped off her lap. She couldn't get out the car fast enough.

Beyoncé took a moment to gather herself and followed, chuckling inwardly. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.3K 1.5K 22
The story will begin with Normani still in fifth harmony. Your a artist that has the talent, skills and the looks. When you meet normani you think it...
105K 3.8K 30
its a G!p so if you don't like that don't read it Normani who's currently in abusive relationship and has a child struggles to keep food on the table...
75.6K 3.8K 36
23 year old Normani Kordei has to work to make ends meet for her and her younger sister, Zendaya. With their parents passing from a tragic accident...
79.9K 4.3K 30
Love not only entails passion. It is about endurance. After a devastating breakup to a woman she envisioned a permanent future with, Normani Kordei h...