The Free Pass

By pumpkinspiciest

Shawn Mendes receives shocking news after a carefree hook-up. He and Mallory Everett have big decisions to ma... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 72
Sequel

Chapter 71

6.5K 167 141
By pumpkinspiciest

Shawn

"And you can tell everybody this is your song. It may be quite simple, but now that it's done. I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind, that I put down in words. How wonderful life is while you're in the world,"

I sang this to Gracie as changed her diaper. I'd become a big Elton John fan a couple years back.

Grace smiled up at me. It's funny how I'd sung to hundreds of thousands of people, but the little person in front of me at that moment was the only audience that counted.

"No matter what, you are my baby," I told her as I picked her up and brought her to Mallory who was waiting to feed her.

I said those words to convince myself. I was scared shitless that when I saw the results, my world would fall apart.

Mal was sitting in the living room.

"I think her cold is totally gone," I said as I handed the baby to my wife.

"Are you all better?" she asked Gracie.

After Grace nursed, Mal and I made pancakes and scrambled eggs for breakfast.

"So, I hate to bring this up," Mal started to say as we sat there eating, before I cut her off.

"Tonight after dinner. We'll look at the results then," I said.

"Sure. That's good," she said agreeably. I knew she was just humoring me.

I went to my studio to do some social media stuff that I'd promised Andrew. I did a brief livestream and tweeted a thank you to my fans for all the positive feedback on my single. The next single would drop in a couple of weeks so I reviewed a bunch promotional things for that.

Andrew called late in the morning to discuss the music video for the first song off the album. I'd planned on shooting it in late September, but that's when Mal had been recovering. I suggested changing the concept and doing just doing a live performance video once I could perform again. Keep it simple. Andrew did not agree. He wanted to go with the initial idea which had me walking through the streets of Toronto at night.

Malloy popped her head in the studio.

"I'm going to take Gracie out. We need groceries and she's low on diapers. We're just going to Target," she said.

"I'll come with you," I said as I got off the leather couch I'd been reclining on.

"You sure? Are you in the mood to be bombarded by fans?"

I walked over and kissed her on her head. "It'll be fine."

We decided to go to a more remote Target outside of Toronto. It was a half hour drive to get there, but that was kind of nice. The further from the city, the less likely I'd get mobbed. Mal drove since that was one of the few things I couldn't do with my cast, so I played DJ with the music.

We entered the store, and I was soon confronted by a couple of teen girls. I took pics with them and asked them to keep my location a secret. They both gushed about how adorable Grace was and how she looked just like me.

Did she?

My mom insisted she did, too. She even pulled out baby pics and put them side by side to prove it. Any similarities might have just been coincidence.

For a split second I thought about having Mal pull out her phone to check the results right there in the baby aisle at Target. I'd have to keep it together if it was bad news since I was in public. Maybe that would be a good thing.

"You okay?" Mallory asked as she started to move the cart forward.

"Not really."

"Let me just get a couple things so I can cook dinner and then we can go," she said.

"No, let's complete the list. You don't need to run back out again tomorrow. That's ridiculous."

We went up and down the aisles in the grocery section, gradually filling the red cart. I felt relief as we got in line to check out. I shouldn't have gone out today; I wasn't in a great frame of mind.

At home, we put everything away. When that was done I started to feel antsy. I couldn't stand the results hanging over my head.

"Want to watch a movie?" Mal asked as she approached me with Grace in her arms.

"Let's just do it now," I said.

I sat down on the couch and held my arms out to hold my daughter.

"You want to know the results?" she asked. "Now?"

"Yeah, I'm getting more and more agitated as this fucking day wears on. Let's get it over with."

I leaned down and kissed Grace on her pink cheek.

Mallory sat next to us. "We'll be okay, right?"

It hurt me that she was so worried I'd leave her over this. She had good reason, of course. I'd been so angry and confused at first that I'd come right out and said I wasn't sure if I could remain a family if Grace wasn't mine.

"I've told you, hun, I'm here to stay. I know it's going to be hard, but it won't break us. I've played out a hundred scenarios in my head showing how things could change. In every one of those hypothetical situations, you're by my side."

She reached out and touched my cheek. "I'm so lucky to have you."

"I think I'm the one who got lucky," I said. I meant that.

"If the news isn't good, I'll understand if you're mad at me. It's my fault for being such an irresponsible drinker. Just try to forgive me."

"I can't promise you I won't feel a whole bunch of different emotions, but just know that I'll get over even the ugliest of them. And I promise not to punch any walls."

She smiled half-heartedly. "If you do, I know a great drywall guy."

Gracie was watching us as we talked. I often wondered how much she understood. She wasn't even seven months old, so she couldn't talk, but she seemed to follow conversations.

"You know what, maybe we should wait until we put her down for her nap. I don't want her getting upset by our reactions."

Mallory nodded. "She'll nap in about an hour. Want to watch a couple episodes of Entourage?"

She put Grace in her activity saucer and we curled up on the couch. Two episodes later, the baby was cranky. Mal fed her and put her in the crib.

Instead of getting out her phone or tablet, she sat on my lap. I was familiar with the look in her eyes.

"Shawn, before we check, can you make love to me?" she asked.

I knew what she was doing.

"Baby, don't do this. Don't act like this might be our last time. I've promised you we'll be fine."

"I know. I also know that if we find out Grace isn't yours, things are going to get really crazy really fast. Even if you accept it and are okay, things will get nuts with having to notify Garrett and telling our families, not to mention how the publicity could impact your new album," she said, her voice rising as she grew more anxious.

"Shhhhh. Calm down, Mal. Why get yourself worked up before we get the results?"

"I'm scared, Shawn. I think I keep preparing myself for the worst because that way it won't seem as bad, but deep down I desperately want her to be yours."

"Same. But it's time to find out. Let's get it over with," I said.

Mallory got up and grabbed her phone out of her purse. She sat down next to me, holding the phone in both hands in front of her.

"Mal, just unlock your phone and open the email. It's okay."

I watched as her home screen popped up. It was a picture of me and Gracie. She then opened the email app. I saw the email in her file. Unopened and ominous.

"You don't want to do it?" she asked.

I could tell she was struggling. I reached over and tapped the email, causing it to open.

The letter was generic. It went over the method of collection and how paternity was determined. At the bottom was a link to view the results.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 169 18
2 years have passed since the drama of Selena having two possible fathers of her unborn baby: her husband or her husband's best friend. Now, Selena a...
7.1K 203 28
(SEQUAL TO PLEASE DONT GO) Ever since Shawn left Alex, when he found out she was pregnant. He tries to come back, but will Alex let him? Will sh...
112K 1.3K 76
@shawnmendes has followed you
647 17 16
A story involving love, fame and a baby?