The Calm Before The Storm ➳ A...

By aos_is_life

» Book 2 « Empathy is something the world needs more of, and Sophia Rodriguez has learned that the hard... More

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐦 𝐁𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐦.
𝐂𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠.
C H A P T E R 1
C H A P T E R 2
C H A P T E R 3
C H A P T E R 4
C H A P T E R 5
C H A P T E R 6
C H A P T E R 7
C H A P T E R 8
C H A P T E R 9
C H A P T E R 11
C H A P T E R 12
C H A P T E R 13
C H A P T E R 14
C H A P T E R 15
C H A P T E R 16
C H A P T E R 17
C H A P T E R 18
C H A P T E R 19
C H A P T E R 20
C H A P T E R 21
C H A P T E R 22
C H A P T E R 23
C H A P T E R 24
C H A P T E R 25
C H A P T E R 26
C H A P T E R 27
C H A P T E R 28
C H A P T E R 29
C H A P T E R 30
C H A P T E R 31
C H A P T E R 32
C H A P T E R 33
C H A P T E R 34
C H A P T E R 35
C H A P T E R 36
C H A P T E R 37
C H A P T E R 38
C H A P T E R 39
C H A P T E R 40
C H A P T E R 41
C H A P T E R 42
C H A P T E R 43
C H A P T E R 44
C H A P T E R 45
C H A P T E R 46
C H A P T E R 47
C H A P T E R 48
C H A P T E R 49
C H A P T E R 50
C H A P T E R 51
C H A P T E R 52
C H A P T E R 53
C H A P T E R 54
C H A P T E R 55
C H A P T E R 56
C H A P T E R 57
B O O K T H R E E

C H A P T E R 10

508 27 4
By aos_is_life

Chapter 10: People Watching

══════

   I sat cross-legged on the desk in my office. My fingers pinched the hologram in front of me, enlarging the words. I had been working my ass the last few days. After going over the last set of files, videos, and medical records I was met with cold leads.

   A low, almost animal-like, grumble left my mouth as I angrily waved my hands to dismiss the information in front of me. I threw my head back, refraining from cursing.

   "There has to be something I'm missing."

   Inhumans have gone missing at an alarming rating. There was an increase in filed missing person cases in the first few months of the outbreak, and they've only grown since then. Between hate groups taking the law into their own hands and organizations like HYDRA performing experiments on us, the number has only grown. It sickened me. Literally.

   My range for channeling was small in comparison to the larger universe. It had grown since I first received my abilities but in moderation. Despite my limitations, I always feel the greater whole. Whether I feel the whole universe?... I'm not sure yet. But all seven billion of the people on Earth, I feel on a daily basis. Like a low hum at the back of my skull, I sense it all. Anger, pain, frustration— all-consuming forces in their own right— magnified to weigh down unsuspecting empaths.

   It is like a headache that never goes away, some days one emotion dominates the rest, causing my migraines to rapidly manifest. The medication I take only numbs it slightly. I do the rest. Training and meditation helped to drown it out, allowing my brain to focus on something else. Something like justice. Justice for those silenced and abused. The people on these tapes deserve that much.

   There was a knock at my door. The milky white privacy walls of my office prevented me from seeing who it was, but I knew by the exhaustion who it was.

   "Jarvis deactivate privacy mode."

   The white tint covering the glass walls dropped and my suspicions were confirmed. Clint stood, his eyes locking with mine once I became visible.

   Still sitting on my desk, I gestured for him to come in. As he passed through the threshold, the ache in his head mirrored in my own. Sometimes his hearing aids would give him headaches, an uncomfortable throbbing. Instead of asking him how he was feeling verbally, I sighed with him.

   A small smile pulled at the corner of his mouth, holding up his hands to reply. He signed that his head hurt. Clint's gestures were fluid as he smirked. Your signing is still better than mine, he mouthed.

   I shrugged, "that's because I practice."

   Clint raised his middle finger and smile sweetly. He threw his tired body into the couch along the wall. His feet kicked up on the coffee table and he sank into the new cushions.

   "What crawled up your ass?"

   "Excuse me?"

   His eyes squinted as he attempted to read my lips from his position, "You have a look on your face."

   I sighed, saying I was frustrated. He asked when the last time I had eaten something was. I answered truthfully, saying dinner from last night. He gave me a stern look, scolding me slightly, adding that that was fifteen hours ago.

   Look at you, you can add. I quipped, quickly apologizing, "Sorry, I'm a bitch when I'm hungry."

---

   Upholding my promise, I washed up. I finally changed out of my work clothes and into comfier attire. Despite Jarvis' wishes to send a car, I made my way on foot. I didn't really have a set destination in mind, I just knew my general whereabouts and what restaurants were nearby.

   I soaked up my surroundings, trying desperately not to overanalyze everything around me. Just enjoy the walk, I reminded myself. As I walked past a newsstand, I mildly cringed at the headlines. My face and name were plastered on dozens of covers— everyone wanted a look at the 'newest Avenger'. My nose scrunched, pushing the sunglasses on my bridge higher. I ducked my head and moved past it as quickly as I could.

   I hadn't been in the city in years, so I felt like exploring. My feet carried me to old hangouts I used to visit. There was an old burger joint I used to love just a few blocks from the tower. Deciding a burger sounded good, I redirected my path.

   I passed a corner store and watched as a few people came out. People-watching was fun to me, especially in New York. An older gentleman held the door open for a lady I assumed was his wife. The adoration they felt for each other radiated off them. A small smile pulled at the corners of my lips when a warmth filled my chest.

   My smile faded. My eyebrows furrowed at the brunette that followed them out. She was different, I knew her. I couldn't see her face but it clicked.

   She thanked the man for holding the door open and I picked up my pace. Like a magnet, I felt drawn to her... a need to see her face and affirm my suspicions. A familiar grin pulled at her lips once she turned around. Her nose brushed aside to reveal her face, "Bob?"

   The words fell out of my mouth. She continued down the street, unaffected by the nickname I called her. She didn't turn around, of course, she wouldn't... she's not supposed to talk to or communicate with anyone from the S.H.I.E.L.D team.

...Barbara...

   Her feet seemed to hitch slightly, unnoticeable if you weren't looking for it. She straightened her shoulders and took the next left turn into an alley. I formed a shield around myself, knowing she would most likely pull a weapon out. As soon as she took the corner she pulled a gun from the purse on her shoulder.

   She immediately relaxed, "Calliope?"

   "Hello," I spoke kindly. My eyes ticked down to the barrel of her gun, "wanna lower the gun?" I questioned with a smirk.

   Bobbi apologized, bending at the knee to pick up her purse. She clicked the safety mode on and slipped it back in.

   "What are you doing here? We can't be seen together, I don't want to risk..."

   "I'm no longer S.H.I.E.L.D," I quickly spoke. She gave me a confused look asking why "Hill recruited me to be an Avenger."

   "An Avenger?" She questioned, a small hint of pride growing in her chest. She immediately closed the distance between us and wrapped me in a tight hug, "That's amazing, Callie. What, did S.H.I.E.L.D get too boring for you?" She joked.

   "Yeah, the parasitic crazed Inhumans were such a blah... I needed something more entertaining in my life." The sarcasticness in my tone was enough for a small chuckle to leave Bobbi.

   "How have yah been, Bob?"

   "I've been good— tired, but good."

   "Where's Hunter?"

   "He is following a lead."

   "Still fighting crime I see?"

   She smiled and shrugged, feigning innocence, "I just can't seem to get away from it. Fighting for those that can't is practically written in my DNA."

   I pointed to her hair, "Still running?"

   "Always." She frowned, a tired chuckle leaving her lips, "Blondes stand out more, being brunette helps blend into a crowd."

   I nodded my head in understanding, "Yah know, I prefer brunette, Bobbi."

   She gave me a skeptical look, "Really?"

   "When I met you, you were originally brunette. It makes you more approachable."

   Bobbi smiled warmly, "Glad someone likes it."

   "Hunter isn't fond of it?"

   "Not in the least, he prefers blonde... but he says he can live with it."

   I couldn't help but snort at the lack of enthusiasm she present, "How did you get so lucky?" I faked a swoon.

   "I ask myself that every day." She responded with wide eyes. We laughed it off.

   I looked down to the watch on my wrist and offered, "I'm gonna grab a bite to eat... wanna join? I know a place, very secluded and the owner is fond of brunettes," I half-joked about the last part.

   I could see the debate happening behind her eyes. She thought it over for a few seconds before her stomach answered for her. A growl rumbled low in her gut and we laughed, "I think that's a yes."

   "Alright then." I gestured for her to join me and she walked side by side.

   As we rejoined the masses on the sidewalk, I heard Bobbi chuckle, "So, um, how's Clint?"

   "Clint's fine," I answered back, trying to hide my amusement.

   She nodded her head, frowning as she did so, "Haven't seen him in years."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.2K 508 26
Y/N was trained by HYDRA, and has been for as long as she can remember. She has become more dangerous than you could imagine, and she has been given...
217K 8.5K 11
(Book 1) A new villain is threatening the Avengers. During a fight that the Avengers are bound to lose, something happens. Loki. He saves them, bu...
208K 7.9K 64
"I don't think we're suppose to go in there," "What happened to being reckless?" "That was before it was clear I wasn't going to die!" ~~@@@~~ BOOK 2...
459K 12.5K 21
[Book 1] There once was an innocent little girl who had everything she could ever ask for. But one day it was all taken away from her. She lives in...