ELDRITCH NIGHT (Rough Draft)

Av hammbody

Eldritch horrors descend from the sky to consume the world. Only a last-minute intervention by a mysterious H... Mer

Chapter One: Day Breaks, and Night Falls
Chapter Two: At Night Crept
Chapter Three: A Widow Fled
Chapter Four: From Looming Monarch's Dread
Chapter Five: Debrief
Chapter Six: Mind and Body
Chapter Seven: Daybreak
Chapter Eight: New Growth
Chapter Nine: Sticks and Stones
Chapter Ten: Of Class and Men
Chapter Eleven: All Aboard
Chapter Twelve: Shore Leave
Chapter Thirteen: Words of Blessing
Chapter Fourteen: Homecoming
Chapter Fifteen: Revelations
Chapter Sixteen: Night Turns to Day
Chapter Seventeen: Pickman's Daughter
Chapter Eighteen: The Band Sets Outs
Chapter Nineteen: Conflict on the Bridge
Chapter 20: Song of Battle
Chapter 21: Dark Revelations
Chapter 22: Truth from Madness
Chapter 23: Banter and Bombs
Chapter 24: Aftermath
Chapter 25: Smoke on the Water
Chapter 26: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Chapter 27: One of Many
Chapter 28: Descent
Chapter 29: Trapped
Chapter 30: The Fisher Man and the Sea
Chapter 31: Into the Fore
Chapter 33: Out of the Breach
Chapter 34: Isolation
Chapter 35: Questions
Chapter 36: The Fruits of Despair
Chapter 37: Fuel on the Fire
Chapter 38: Family Ties
Chapter 39: Eye of the Storm
Chapter 40: Chains that Bind
Chapter 41: Fruits of the Earth
Chapter 42: Sky Meets Earth
Chapter 43: Kiting with Behemoths
Chapter 44: A Pound of Flesh
Chapter 45: Growth
Chapter 46: Volatile Responses
Chapter 47: Overt Operations
Chapter 48: Pearls of Thought
Chapter 49: Charge of the Dark Brigade
Chapter 50: Ave Maria
Chapter 51: Leveling Earth and Sky
Chapter 52: Apotheosis Horizon (1/2)
Chapter 52: Apotheosis Horizon (2/2)
Chapter 53: Fingers of the Dead
Chapter 54: Our Lady, Who Art in Hell
Chapter 55: Darkness Before Dawn
Chapter 56: Hubris, Slayer of Gods
Chapter 57: Dreamscape
End of Book Update and Acknowledgements
Epilogue

Chapter 32: Flowers of Change

295 24 1
Av hammbody

Other than the waist high grass, the area in front of me was relatively open, with only a few hills and small lakes dotting the landscape. The grass itself was more rigid than I had expected, more like tiny stalks of bamboo than anything you would find in your front yard. The ends of each blade of grass were split into multiple thin threads topped by wisps of something blue and fluffy that fluttered and spiraled up into the air as a slight breeze picked up from the east.

The air around me was filled by these small particles of blue fuzz, as if someone had made a wish by blowing upon a giant blue dandelion, sending millions of tiny cerulean florets into the sky. I hesitated to enter the cloud, but I was anxious about rejoining my friends, and the substance didn't immediately appear dangerous. Even my mild pollen allergy was unaffected.

Wading through the field did little to slow me down, most likely due to my strength being double what it had been before 'stats' were a realistic way of measuring human performance.

I started off with a steady walk, carefully taking each step and occasionally stopping to scan for dangers. I still had unpleasant memories of when Catayla had revealed a peaceful meadow full of flowers had instead been a trap for a carnivorous monster made of rotating teeth and bone smashing vines. I couldn't even trust the grass not to kill me.

I missed the blue-scaled scout, she had a quiet competence that I enjoyed having on my side. I was glad she was with Tiller and the others, as she was the main reason I was convinced the group had made it across the river.

My plan to find them was simply to search the area of the riverbank where they should have landed – the lack of current meant this area should have been fairly narrow. I had judged that they were likely in a small range that ran from the remains of the Ravenel bridge down to Patriots Point, where the Naval monument the USS Yorktown was still moored.

If they had crossed back to the downtown side of the river, I would simply make the trip back across to join them. This seemed unlikely, however, as I knew Catayla would have pressed them to continue the mission, with or without me.

I was headed north and slightly east across the golf course, a path I knew should bring me almost directly to where I needed to be.

Navigating through the grass was made difficult due to the terrain changes that blocked my view of any easily identified landmarks. To my east were tall rocky hills and thick forestation that had replaced an area that was once nothing but flat, dusty land containing only a few sparse shrubs and loose pebbles. This blocked my view of the bridge and the Yorktown, forcing me to rely on memory to plan my route.

To the west was an inlet across from which were the ruins of an old residential neighborhood that had been made up of cookie cutter McMansions decorated with tacky Greek-style pillars and thin brick facades, now mostly buried in earth and vegetation. Creepers grew up over the crumbled homes, as if seeking to drag what little remained of human civilization back into the dirt.

At some point the neighborhood had been torched. Ash covered the ground like snow, lightly brushing across the dark browns of soil and the vibrant greens of freshly grown plant life. Brittle wooden boards, broken and burnt, stuck up from the earth like blighted teeth cast down into the ground. A faint whiff of smoke mixed with the smells of earth, decay, and something more metallic.

My perception stat had increased significantly with the bonuses it received from my class and feats.

I could hear the wind as it played across the field, each blade of grass giving off a faint hum as the breeze touched it. As I set a foot down upon the ground I could feel the vibrations as they rose up through my bones and hear them as they spread out into the ground around me.

My hearing and sense of touch combined to give me an acute sense of any vibrations in my immediate area – it was nothing compared to the sonar-sight I had temporarily gained while fused with my Companion, but it could still be useful for sensing surprise attackers.

My sense of smell had increased in power as clearly as my other senses, but it would take time for me to learn how to interpret the myriad of information and the cryptic messages that were furiously assaulting my nostrils.

My Companion flew above me as it scanned for threats. I hadn't taken over its senses since it had started flying, as I felt it would be too disorienting while trying to move and would slow my reaction if I needed to quickly switch back to my own senses. Instead, I decided I had no choice but to trust it to warn me of any danger.

I knew the area and it was a straight shot from here to Patriots Point Road, which I could follow east to quickly reach the area I intended to search. This knowledge tugged at my impatience, but I pushed it down and forced myself to continue my careful pace – at least for a short while.

It didn't take long before I had abandoned caution and started sprinting at full speed. The simian-like monsters were long behind me, and the lack of apparent danger combined with my concern for my friends convinced me that speed was more important than being overly vigilant.

My weight had increased only slightly as my physical stats had grown, my muscles had firmed but not grown noticeably larger. This allowed each one of my steps to send me forward in great bounding leaps that carried me above the blades of grass before gravity would pull me down. It was almost like floating, with only brief stops to push off against the earth once more.

I applied one of my newest feats, Inner Focus, and I felt myself falling into a trance. It might have been something like a 'runner's high.' I had heard about the phenomenon but had never achieved it for myself. Each step became more fluid and precise. Each movement seemed exact and measured with an almost machine-like efficiency, and there was none of the boredom or discomfort I normally associated with running.

It was exhilarating, almost to the point that I had forgotten why I was running – or to where. Within minutes I had cleared at least half the distance across the golf course. My focus began to wane, and I decided to stop on a small hill that poked up above the sea of grass.

The experiencing of running under such an effect had been exhilarating, endorphins and adrenaline had flooded my system leaving me with a faint glow of pleasure.

My speed had also increased dramatically, but I quickly realized that I had blocked off everything outside of what was necessary for the run itself. Instead I had been focusing solely on running and the feeling of wind across my face and rhythm of the earth beneath my feet.

My Companion had been screaming in the back of mind, warning me of something close by. As I came to a stop, I could feel the Companion's frantic pleading as it called out to me, but it took me a moment to regain my senses.

Rather than react I stood atop the small hill in a stupor. My confusion lasted only for a fraction of a second but that was all that it took.

I was vaguely aware of unusual movement in the grass around me when something large and heavy struck the back of my knees. I collapsed, and my shoulders struck the ground with a heavy thump that drove the wind from my lungs.

My legs where the only part of me remaining airborne when something long and tensile wrapped around my left calf before tightening and dragging me into the air to dangle only a few feet above the ground.

Two beady black eyes stared at me from above a mouth full of multiple rows of tiny, razor sharp teeth. Two enormous buck teeth poked out from beneath the snout of the creature, giving the otherwise razor filled maw an awkward appearance. It's 'fur' was green and mangy, like patches of grass growing out of diseased and putrid flesh.

On its back was a large growth, much like the bulb of a flower. Thick black vines grew from the open top of the bulb and thrashed around the creature and pounded at my ribs and limbs.

I immediately activated my Arcane Shield and conjured a blade of eldritch energy in my left hand. I slashed out at the appendage grasping my leg, but I found myself being swung around and thrust into the ground. My head rung, and my stomach lurched as I tried to move.

The mild confusion and nausea quickly passed, and the attack had barely done any other damage – even my mana was mostly untouched. I was once more tugged into the air and I cut out wildly with my conjured sword and began to create spikes of energy in the air above me. Each as long as a car and pointed downward at my enemy.

This proved to be overkill, however, as I heard the screech of a giant bird of prey piercing through the sky. The vine quickly went limp and I was dropped to the ground with a rib cracking thump.

"Dammit," I cried out. "What the hell was that thing."

I sat up and looked at the creature. A large hole had been drilled through its head, and a kingfisher sat upon its shattered skull pulling long strips of flesh from the creature's back.

"Nice save, but are you sure you should be eating that?"

The bird gave no response, so I walked over to the creature and gave it a closer look. It had the general shape of a large rat, and the two buck teeth reinforced my theory that this is what it had once been. A large green bulb grew from the center of the creature's back, and thin, branching tendrils of plant matter grew down into the rat's flesh fusing plant and mammal.

The bulb itself was made of four large leaves that closed into a point at the crest. The top of the bulb was slightly open, revealing red and gold petals. Thick black vines still grew from the center of the bulb but were beginning to liquify and seep into the ground beneath the creature.

I closed my eyes, readying myself to use the Eye of Madness to gather more information about the rat but a sharp chirp interrupted my concentration. I looked up at the bird, still feasting on the body, and I saw it shake its head slightly as if it to warn me away from my present course of action.

Instead, the Companion sent me an image of several more creatures around us. Bulbs, just like the one atop the giant rat, were hidden beneath the grass and spread around us at even intervals. I counted at least seven, but it was impossible to be sure.

"So, what do you suggest?" I asked the Companion.

It looked up at me once more, before sucking down a strip of flesh in one gulp as if it were eating spaghetti. Images once more invaded my mind, outlining the Companion's plan.

"Okay, we'll do it your way this time."

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

716 81 30
NOTE: Under writing and editing, plot will remain unchanged though! The Dark Emperor, a malevolent being slumbering for eons, begins to reawaken, slo...
Silvertroll Av Bill Kandiliotis

Mysterium / Thriller

839 66 52
As a grieving parent, Nathan [The Caveman] Caves struggles to come to terms with his son Julian's death, his son's online legacy, and a malicious int...
4 0 9
We follow the compelling journey of Valenus, a person burdened by the weight of personal challenges, most notably the illness of their father. At hom...
12 21 24
Marcus Smit's life was barreling toward failure or prison, but changed when the Great Impact happened. It destroyed major cities within seconds and s...