Threads

By Fernshade

❝ no matter how far away from you i get, i will always remember you ❞ Britta and Diana have lived their whol... More

Authors Note
~ Spring ~
1, Herbs and Herbivores
2, Dreams and Desperate Thoughts
3, Mist and Misgivings
4, A Boyish Exterior
5, A Dagger, a Bow and a Decision
~ Summer ~
7, Arrogance and Aggravation
8, Wild Horses
9, Couldn't Drag Me Away
10, Practice Makes Progress
11, Thunder Bolt
12, Woman and Willpower
~ Autumn ~
13, Determination is Detrimental
~ Winter ~
14, Silence Between Sisters
14, an Eye for an Eye
~ Spring ~
15, Fight or Flight?
16, Move Like Quicksilver
~ Summer ~
17, Trapped Thief
18, Lucky Escape
19, Faithful Companion
20, Attack and Defence
21, Dark River
22, Fear
23, Feverish
24, Thunderous Realization
26, Swallowed by the Mist
27, Letting Go
Epilogue
Authors Note...
Journey

25, The Falcon Flies

14 3 20
By Fernshade

The entire wave of people were all focused on one person, Britta recognized him immediately

"He's the Night Falcon." She whispered.

"I've seen him before." Said Diana. Suddenly she clutched Brittas hand, "The Strange Man?" She asked in a choked tone.

Britta nodded, some of her childhood fear returning. Without realising it, she gripped Micahs hand as The Night Falcon began to speak.

"People of the Empire." He began. "I have come to liberate you from the traitor which is your leader." Civilians had gathered, and were listening also, but Britta's mind trailed off as he continued to talk about his power over them.

How could she stop people from being controlled before they got the Aurea? She could imagine shielding people, or controlling them before the Aurea had a chance, and gently reached out. She had targets in mind. Her friends when they came, Micah, Mable and the Emperor as well. Britta knew she couldn't handle them all.

Diana, we need to shield the others minds from the Aurea.

How?

The Voice, spread it over them, you take Mable and the Emperor-

And Ed.

Okay, and I'll take the rest of our friends and Micah.

Got it.

They both reached out to people, and Britta managed to whisper what was happening to Micah. She noticed then she was still gripping his hand tight, but though she let go, he didn't.

Breathing out, she shut her eyes and felt his familiar presence clearly. She imagined a shield protecting him from the Aurea – or rather, the person who was using it. She felt his fear as if it was her own, and hoping he wouldn't notice, she pushed some of her own strength into him. She didn't know if he needed it, but it seemed to make it better.

He looked at her, meeting her eyes and holding her gaze until she realised suddenly the Night Falcon had stopped talking. She ignored the feeling in the pit of her stomach, and concentrated on the task at hand.

Everyone began to talk among themselves, and she spotted her friends coming towards them. Remembering how things had been at the training camp, she pulled her hand free of Micahs. Biting her lip, she made sure everyone was there.

"Hi." She said, "Ed and Thom know, I'm Bren, this is Duane." She said, and left Diana and them to assure the rest it was true. Some of her nervousness was fading. "We don't have much time, you all heard what he said, we have to stop him. Me and Diana-Duane-can stop you from being controlled by the Aurea. Micahs helping us. In case you were wondering."

"So you want us to stop a man who has control over all these people?" Said Thom flatly.

"Yes."

"It's pointless. He can control them even if he can't control us. And why would we want to stop him anyway." He said harshly. Before Britta could answer, he had disappeared into the crowd.

"He's.... Changed." She remarked. "But are the rest of you in?"

"To do what?" Neal asked uncertainly.

"We have to get hold of the Aurea, then Micah has a chance to persuade everyone that what they're doing is wrong and for the wrong reasons."

"The Night Falcon is too strong as it is." Clyde said. "I think Thom's right. Sorry Bren."

"Wait." Britta said, grabbing his arm before he could leave. "Don't you see? So much of his power is attached to one object. If we can get that object, he is just a person. A cold, heartless, person."

Clyde paused. "So how do we help?" He asked finally.

"I will get the Aurea, but before I do, they will likely bring out the Emperor and his daughter. They need protection, though you will have to be subtle about it. Neal, go with Diana, she knows a secure place to go where you can shoot if you have to." Britta smiled with gratitude as everyone agreed with her, and she finished by explaining that they would be safe from the Aurea's power and shielding them.

"Can you control us with it?" Ed asked.

"If we wanted to." Diana murmured. Britta knew her sister and Ed were pleased to see each other again.

"With everything as it is, you probably wouldn't notice." Britta pointed out.

Diana and Ed hugged each other briefly, and then everyone set out.

Britta glanced at Micah again.

"I'll signal you when I have, maybe in your mind, just be aware."

"Okay." He said, seeming to have something else on his mind. Then he asked, "Are you controlling me right now?"

"Of course not I was just meaning that before we could..." She trailed off, caught in his gaze.

A shadow of uncertainty crossed his face, and then he muttered. "I'm not sure if that's good or bad." Then he kissed her. It was so fleeting she wondered if it was real, but she knew it had to be. She stared at him in shock for a few seconds, before he pushed her forwards.

"Go." He said.

"Right, I'll see you after this – it's all over." She stammered, backing away from him. When she was out of sight, she allowed herself three seconds of dizzying emotions and thoughts. Then, she pulled herself together, and began to make her way forwards.

The castle door slammed open, and the Emperor was hustled out, Mable in tow. She caught a flash of movement and knew Ed and Clyde were there.

"Perhaps those of you who are.... reluctant to join, may change their minds when they hear what the Emperor has to say." Britta realized he had to get people to agree of their own accord because he couldn't control them forever.

She pushed forwards until she realized that the group around him were trainees, all guarding him. She stood as close as she dared but couldn't do anything as Mable and the Emperor were brought forwards.

"Your Highness." The Night Falcon mocked. Britta noticed how he gripped the Aurea. Please make Diana's shield hold. "Is it really necessary to try and stop me? I have the Aurea after all." There was a burning hatred in each of his words. "And it's not what Celestial wanted. Give me everything."

A silence spreads over the watching people, and Britta could practically feel the tension buzzing in the air.

At Celestials name, the Emperor had frozen. Now he raised his blue eyes to the sky and whispered something. Then, he met the Night Falcon in the eyes and said. "No."

"Are you sure?" He asked, "Aren't you tired of being a puppet for everyone else?"

The emperor sighed, defeat etched in the lines of his face. He didn't seem concerned and Britta wondered if he had something up his sleeve. Then he bowed his head. "It is the people you must convince." He said.

The Night Falcon smiled wickedly and the masses in front of him turned to face the emperor.

"Coward." The Night Falcon spat. "Your decision was not a good one; you're too used to getting your own way. Watch as your whole Empire is reduced to rubble." He lifted a hand in a signal, and his men turned on the civilians and attacked.

Britta rushed up to him amongst the confusion and drew her dagger. She ran at him, but he met her blade with one of his own. Suddenly his eyes widened, and Britta knew he recognized her.

"Where is your sister?" He asked.

Britta ignored him and snatched for the Aurea, the only thought in her mind to stop what was going on. He managed to keep it from her, and tried to use it against her. Britta barely had to think about the shield keeping it from taking effect.

"Where is she?"

Britta pointed behind him, but he didn't even get distracted. He bore down on her with his sword, and they were just more people fighting in the crowd. Britta caught his blade and twisted. She felt it give, but he held on and attacked her back. She couldn't roll out of the way in case she got trampled by someone else, so she sidestepped and darted in, aiming for his arm. She caught him but he hardly flinched, instead, touching a piece of cord tied around his wrist and ignoring the wound. He sliced down one arm and she used the moment to gouge down one of his legs. She blocked his next attack and made one of her own. As he moved into another attack, she managed to grab the Aurea and pull it away from him.

I have it! She managed to call to Diana. Before she could hear her sister reply, an arrow hit her solidly in the shoulder.

She tied the Aurea to her dagger as she swayed on the spot. Taking aim, she threw it to where she knew Diana was standing. The noise around her faded, and she saw the Night Falcon turn towards her. He wasn't taking any chances and drove the butt of his sword into the base of her skull. Before she could retaliate she crumpled to the ground.

***

Mable saw Britta fall to the ground, and saw the people around her, who insisted they'd protect her, move towards her. She knelt on the ground, and pressed her hands over her ears. She was trying to block out everything.

"How could they?" She asked, over and over again, lost in the crowd. She was finding it hard to breathe, and didn't know what was going on. But then she managed to focus on one thing. That man, standing up there demanding the destruction of the city. He needed to go.

Straightening up, she looked around for a weapon, putting her fear aside and concentrating on the anger. There were so many people; there had to be something somewhere. She looked closely at everyone around her, none of them taking much notice of her. It was the Emperor they wanted. As she walked through the crowds, she began to notice similarities between everyone.

Mable turned and ran to the wall. She needed high ground. Sliding out a stone, she opened up a way to the top of the wall, and standing there, she scanned the crowd. She could spot the Night Falcon in the centre, and his men pushing outwards as the civilians fell. She saw her father, and hoped he was okay.

Everyone looked so similar, except the men in the inner circle, defending the Night Falcon. Mable touched her necklace; a claw Lucky had brought her once, and rushed back down, and noticed that each time one of the outer ring began to fight, they moved the same. Disarm and stab. She tried her hardest not to focus on those they were killing, the metallic tang of blood was making her dizzy.

Diana. She called suddenly. What happens when you shoot some of the men on the outside?

They don't even flinch. She said desperately.

Do you have the Aurea?

Britta threw it to me. But it doesn't feel real.

Mable didn't answer, just ran to the middle. She was stopped easily by another person, but they moved differently to the ones on the outside.

"Please, let me to my father." She called desperately, ducking the blade which was swung at her.

The man turned his sword around and had it at her throat, pressing down. Blood trickled down her neck. Then, Lucky was there. He attacked the man and drew attention to himself. Mable wanted to help him, but saw that one of the men who had been guarding her before was helping too. She forced herself to keep going.

She reached the centre, and tried not to notice Britta's body. She had just enough time to note she was breathing and see her eyelids flutter. Then she turned to the Night Falcon. He was watching her with cold curiosity.

"What are you going to do?" He mocked her.

Mable shivered, but tried to keep the same vague exterior, though his eyes were shooting icicles at her.

"I came to investigate." She said. "I wondered who could persuade father to give up the Empire. You did very well, he's very stubborn. Once-" But she was cut off, she could hear Britta talking to her.

His wrist.

What?

There is a cord on his wrist, he was more worried about it than his arm.

Got it. Mable glanced at Britta, and found her still lying completely still.

You have to distract him. He thinks he has everything covered, and that we think we have the Aurea. Talk to him. I'll get it.

Mable looked back at the Night Falcon, who was watching her sharply.

"Once what?" He asked, although they both knew he had little interest in the conversation.

Mable had forgotten what she was going to say, but that was probably a good thing anyway. "I'm not allowed to tell you." She said, catching movement from the corner of her eye.

Britta was behind him, somehow moving quickly. She lurched forwards and pulled at the knot. His hand flung out and hit her in the face, she fell to the ground again, but she had the cord, and was clutching it tight as the Night Falcon wrestled her for it. Mable felt adrenaline pumping through her, and she narrowed her eyes. Reaching for her necklace, she wondered if there was any way she could pull it off without him noticing. Then she realised he would either notice her or Britta, so she paused indecisively. A black streak rushed in front of her and Britta's cat had hurled itself onto his face, clawing and yowling. In the distraction, she gripped her necklace and pulled it off, feeling the claw resting comfortably in her hands.

Gripping it tight, she wished for luck. Then, she threw herself into the middle of them, with a fierce battle cry. Blindly, she lunged forwards, and felt the claw meet flesh. Britta scrambled out from underneath her, and the Night Falcon sat still in front of her, waiting for her attack to begin again. Without thinking, Mable raised her arm and stabbed again.

Suddenly, she saw Diana standing in plain sight, aiming her bow. Her auburn hair whipped across her face, but she ignored it as she narrowed her eyes to aim. There was a look of determination sat hard on her features and she looked so fierce that Mable found it hard to believe she was the same girl which visited her in the castle. She heard Britta scream behind her as Diana loosed, her arrow flying true. At the same time, Britta threw something, her face expressionless and not the one Mable knew. The arrow whizzed down and hit Britta. Whatever she had thrown, knocked Diana down. Neither of them moved.

Mable rushed towards Britta, hardly aware that the fighting around them had stopped. She pulled at the second arrow, but it wouldn't give. Suddenly, Britta began to writhe on the ground, opening her mouth in a silent scream. Mable shut her eyes as Britta clawed at the arrow. When she opened them, she was looking at the deathly pale face of The Night Falcon. Falling backwards, Mable looked at over at where he had been. Britta lay still, the same wounds Mable had inflicted on the Night Falcon standing out on one side of her face and down along her neck.

Mable felt her stomach heave as she began to realize what had happened. The world spun around her, and the claw she had held so tightly before, fell to the ground.

***

"Girls." The woman said, embracing them.

Britta was so tired that it took her a moment to realize it was her mother. She grabbed onto Diana's hand beside her.

"That's her." Britta said, no other explanation needed.

Then Celestial stepped away, and looked them over, her green eyes brimming with affection. Finally, she unlaced the twins hands, and took Diana's in her own, leading her away. Something told Britta she shouldn't follow.

Diana turned back, and smiled sadly, there was wisdom shining in her eyes.

"I love you Britta, and I'm happy where I'm going. Maybe you can come visit."

Britta smiled back, somehow understanding her sister's words perfectly.

***

When she woke up again, she immediately met Mables blue eyes.

"Where's Diana?" She asked shakily, wanting to know the truth.

A shadow crossed Mables eyes. "When she shot the Night Falcon, she was in the open. H-he had enough time to throw a dart at her. It was tipped with poison or something-" Mable trailed off.

Britta shut her eyes, remembering her mother and Diana walking away from her. Why hadn't she stopped them?

Diana? She tried calling. There was no answer. Diana, Diana where are you? Britta sunk back into the pillows, calling again and again for her lost sister. Her words jumbled up, and she fell into an exhausted sleep.

When she opened her eyes, she got the feeling she had been sleeping for a long time; the surrounding room was dark and silent. Britta pushed herself up and realised she was wearing a loose white nightgown. Her daggers rested at the corner of the room, and she realised with a jolt, Diana's bow did too, as if she had come inside a few moments before. She tossed off the covers, ignoring her aching limbs, and picked up her sisters bow.

It was the one Micah had given her and it was carved with tribal designs. She could see where Diana's grip had worn them down and how the bowstring frayed with hard use. There was a chip out of the pale wood on one side and Britta ran a thumb over it, ignoring the splinter which embedded itself in her thumb. She placed it gently on the floor and walked over to the window. Britta was inside the castle and the gates were shut once again. The moonlight illuminated the whole courtyard, and she saw Thunder standing at the edge of it, Faithful sitting on top of him. Grabbing her daggers, Britta belted their sheath's on and climbed out the window.

She wanted to be in her own place, so she could think. Without a word, she leapt on Thunders back and placed Faithful on her shoulder. Thunder took off at a gallop, and Britta felt the same free feeling she always got when she was riding him, except this time it was shadowed with grief. When he finally slowed down, she realized he had brought them to a small clearing in the forest. Britta climbed off stiffly, her injuries from the battle bothering her, but for once, Faithful didn't make a sarcastic remark.

The empty space inside her where she had once felt Diana, seemed to grow bigger, and she felt as if that was all she was; empty space. She remembered how optimistic they were when they joined the training camp. If they hadn't, they would have just been one of the crowd at the castle gates. But at least that would have meant they could have left.

They would never buy their own house and live a normal life together. They could never go to the Emperor and announce the truth. There was hardly even a 'they' anymore. Britta wiped away the tears that had begun to fall, but there were more. Soon she was crying and wondering if she would ever stop. Faithful padded up to her and curled up in her lap, so she stroked him mindlessly, trying not to think about anything.

Eventually she calmed down and scrubbed her face dry.

I don't know what to do anymore. She admitted to Faithful.

Don't be silly. You have Mable and your father. I believe you even have Micah. You never would have met any of them without Diana and what happened at the training camp. He said sensibly.

Is it so easy for a cat to think that?

I know you love your sister. But though no one here will ever replace her, you may see her more often than you think. Come on, stand up, we should go back now.

Britta sighed, and used Thunder to help her climb back up. Diana had said she could visit. She reminded herself. She could see her sister – it wouldn't be the same, but it was better than nothing. She realised that the emptiness inside her wasn't as real as she had thought, and she shut her eyes, and felt her sister there again. More distant, but defiantly happy.

She arrived back at the castle, and climbed the wall, Faithful clinging to her shoulder. Settling back into bed, she imagined Diana's face, and connected it to her presence. She could see Diana's face, surrounded by hair she'd let down and lit up by a smile as they met eyes.

"Hello?" She said uncertainly.

Britta answered her, her own voice quivering. "Do you think this will work every night?" She asked.

Diana sighed, "I don't know." She said. She reached out to touch one of the new scars which adorned Britta's neck but her hand stopped at an invisible barrier. She pulled back, tears threatening to spill over her brown eyes. Britta could see moisture clinging onto her lashes. For a long moment they simply stared at each other.

"I didn't ever think I'd never see you again," Britta said, "we're lucky we can."

"I know." Said Diana, pressing a cautious hand to the barrier. "But it won't be the same."

Britta pinched herself, trying to fight off the tiredness. "No." She agreed.

"You should sleep." Said Diana.

"I don't dare." Britta told her. "The real world is so much darker."

Diana shook her head. "You have Micah."

"Why do people say that?" Britta asked.

Diana huffed and shook her head, amusement in her eyes. "You'll understand." Her good humour faded quickly. "Look after Ed for me." She said.

Britta felt sadness settle in her stomach as she thought of how he would feel about her sisters loss. "Is it okay where you are?" She asked.

Diana nodded. "I can watch you from up here and talk to mother." She leaned in as if to whisper in her ear, although they couldn't get that close, "she was using the threads power from here; planting the idea in that man's head to bring us to the training camp, making the earthquake happen at that exact point in time and being extra certain The Fox wouldn't tell." Diana frowned, "you really should have been more careful." She said.

"It's done now." Britta told her.

Diana shook her head. "It never truly is. You must sleep now, we'll talk tomorrow."

Britta nodded, allowing her eyes to droop shut.

***

There's no motivation behind the Falcons motives and idek what to do with him? Like does anyone actually want to take over the world? Is he just having a really bad year?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.2K 1.7K 33
To bait a falcon, a very small bird is fitted with ball weights attached to a string held by the falconer. When the raptor attacks, the rolling dive...
2.6K 122 21
*PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE* Diana grew up as any typical teenager would in upstate New York. She was her mother's pride and joy with plans to change th...
1.9K 42 9
Heather Westergaurd was a true princess. She was beautiful, kind, and ever gentle, for these where the values her father taught her to be, at least i...
135 2 41
The world consists of far more than a few people, and far more than just what you see of them now. All characters have a past, a story, some piece of...