Threads

By Fernshade

❝ no matter how far away from you i get, i will always remember you ❞ Britta and Diana have lived their whol... More

Authors Note
~ Spring ~
1, Herbs and Herbivores
2, Dreams and Desperate Thoughts
3, Mist and Misgivings
4, A Boyish Exterior
5, A Dagger, a Bow and a Decision
~ Summer ~
7, Arrogance and Aggravation
8, Wild Horses
9, Couldn't Drag Me Away
10, Practice Makes Progress
11, Thunder Bolt
12, Woman and Willpower
~ Autumn ~
13, Determination is Detrimental
~ Winter ~
14, Silence Between Sisters
14, an Eye for an Eye
~ Spring ~
15, Fight or Flight?
16, Move Like Quicksilver
~ Summer ~
17, Trapped Thief
18, Lucky Escape
20, Attack and Defence
21, Dark River
22, Fear
23, Feverish
24, Thunderous Realization
25, The Falcon Flies
26, Swallowed by the Mist
27, Letting Go
Epilogue
Authors Note...
Journey

19, Faithful Companion

14 2 5
By Fernshade

Two green eyes met Brittas through one of the narrow windows, and a tabby paw reached through. Half awake, Britta watched as it tumbled to the ground.

"Faithful?" She asked.

Well duh. He said.

What are you doing here? Where's Mable, How's Thunder? Quicksilver? What did Micah do with the Aurea?

Shut up. I'm answering you, calm down.

I've been trapped in here all night and half the day thank you very much, I would like to know what is happening.

Ok, ok. Faithful curled up on Britta's lap. I am supposed to help you, so I came here, obviously. Mable got taken halfway up to the castle, but we don't know where, Quicksilver lost sight of them once they entered the forest. Now she's back to following Micah. Thunder is waiting outside, so you can get out of here. As far as we know, Micah took the Aurea and ran with it back to the forest. He went to a hole in the ground.

Well obviously the Emperor isn't unstable at all, they were lying.

How do you know that for sure?

I just do somehow. Britta said, firmly. So, we have to get out of here? She added.

Defiantly, we better get Mable out too.

Britta shook Diana awake and explained everything Faithful had told her.

So we have to find Mable and then figure out what on earth is going on. Now. Finished Britta, pulling at the trap door.

Barely wasting a second, Diana and Faithful followed her to the horses.

"Fawn!" Exclaimed Diana, stroking her mare.

Britta leapt on to Thunder, who was still wearing all his tack from before.

"I'll take that off you later." Britta told him, and he flicked his head.

Good.

The twins stopped at the forest and found a place to stay. It was a small clearing, with the sky peeping through gaps in the canopy

"Food." Britta said, "I'll look for herbs, Diana, try hunt for something to cook."

Diana shrugged, "I would, but no bow, remember?"

"Where did you leave it?" Britta asked.

"In the tree where I was shooting from."

"Faithful, do you think you can get it?"

Of course. Faithful said, but don't expect me to do things like that often. He bounded off through the forest.

Britta searched for herbs and greens to eat, while Diana set up camp. Once her bow was back in her hand, she shot a rabbit to eat and everyone was soon well fed.

"We need to figure out where to go." Said Diana, worriedly, they discussed plans for a while.

Britta had quickly extinguished the camp fire, but now she had the feeling it would have been useful to keep it burning. She felt like they were being watched, but not by people. She did not fear nature and it's creatures, but something told her this one was not quite normal.

"Will we stay for the night then?" She asked, when they figured they had no idea where to look for Mable.

"We should." Said Diana, yawning, "We're no good to anyone one when we're so tired, besides, we don't have any idea at all where Mable is."

Agreeing with her, Britta pulled out her sleeping mat and lay down. Beside her, Diana had fallen asleep at once but still, Britta's mind stayed awake, even as her eyes drifted closed. Eventually, she got up and walked a small distance away from camp, sitting down and looking up at the sky.

She felt a prickling on the back of her neck, and turned around. Something moved in the shadows, and she couldn't help but draw her dagger. One paw step at a time, a wolf stepped out of the undergrowth. He regarded her with icy eyes and walked closer. Then, he stopped again, tilting his head to one side, looking intelligent.

Hello? Britta asked cautiously.

Greetings. The wolf replied, walking forwards.

Britta held her breath as he came to a halt, exposing his neck to her. Britta's sharp eyes caught on a pale blue ribbon amongst his thick fur. Carefully reaching out, Britta touched it. When the wolf didn't pull back, she found the knot and untied it. As it fell free of the wolfs pelt, Britta caught a small ring she had shaken loose.

What is your name? She asked, suddenly putting together a puzzle.

Lucky.

Right, the 'dog' Mable was talking about.

I am no dog, not to you.

Britta nodded in agreement, gesturing for the wolf to follow as she ran back to camp. When she arrived, Diana's eyes were already wide open.

"Somehow, this is Lucky, Mable's so-called dog. He knows where she is, I think." She explained.

Faithful? Britta asked, letting Diana talk to Lucky on her own.

Faithful was sat upon Thunder, smoothing down his fur.

Yes, he knows where she is.

Do you know Lucky?

He's Mables guardian, as I am yours.

Does Diana have one?

You are much more in need of protecting than her.

Thanks. She told him sarcastically.

Diana had scattered the sticks they had used to build shelter and cleaned out the pots. Both sitting on their horses, they followed Lucky through the woods. It was a long trip north, and they were nearing the mountains where Britta thought Lucky had come from.

How are you Mable's protector? She asked.

She found me as a pup, one of the hunting dogs had brought me in. She looked after me, as I assume you did with Faithful. We will see her soon. Lucky was quiet again.

Finally, he stopped them outside a small stone building, sitting in front was a guard, looking sleepy as night neared.

Only one guard? Diana asked Britta, disbelievingly.

They must be expecting more to come.

Diana reached for her bow, but Britta stopped her, instead leaping out and slamming the man on the back of the head, dazing him. She grabbed the keys hanging at his belt.

We'll interrogate him. She told Diana.

Diana unlocked Mable, and Britta could hear her telling Lucky what a good dog he was. Britta decided to point out the he was the largest mountain wolf she had ever seen later on.

"The others might be coming soon, we should go."

"Taking him with us?" Asked Diana, gesturing to the man.

Britta looked him over regretfully, they could learn a lot from him, but shook her head. "We can find out another way, we have to go."

Mable rode with Diana on Fawn, and Britta leapt back onto Thunder. The rode back to where they had come from, stopping when the moon was high in the sky.

Awake early in the morning, Britta woke every one up and gave them the remains of the rabbit they had cooked before.

"I think the ground was biting me all night." Said Mable rubbing her back. She had smoothed out her dress and washed her face while Britta had done her morning run.

They came to the castle midmorning, and discussed what to do from nearby. Quicksilver arrived halfway through this discussion.

Micah come, find Mable gone, going back to castle for dance, go in take Mable back.

"Good job Quicksilver." Britta dug in Thunder's saddle bag and gave Quicksilver some meat.

"Are you talking to the animals?" Asked Mable. "I never knew anyone else who could – I can only understand Lucky."

"I can understand most animals if I concentrate." Said Britta. Mable accepted this without question and Britta thought she was incredibly peculiar.

"To the problem at hand." Diana reminded them. "What do we do now?"

"I have an idea." She said. "There is a dance soon, isn't there Mable?" Britta asked.

"One to celebrate summer, unless they don't do it because I'm not here."

"You can go back soon. Anyway, Quicksilver says Micah will be at that, we can go too. Diana and I can both dress up as girls again, and go there. That way, Mable, we can protect you, it is tomorrow, right?" At Mables nod, Britta continued. "Until then stay where you should be, so you're safe. At the dance, Diana and I can also try get information out of the men that are bound to be there, and even warn people if we know they actually will attack."

"We can't get back in time to get our dresses." Diana reminded her.

"They'll probably be too casual anyway, Mable, were can we get clothes?"

"I have some old ones, father never remembers what the older ones look like, they should fit you two, you are both small."

"So we come to your room to get ready?" Diana asked.

"Yes."

"Well that's fool proof." Britta muttered.

"Come through one of the passages, here is the map." Mable said, holding it out.

Britta took it, and thanked her, setting off to shadow Mable to the castle. Instead, Lucky leapt ahead, and trailed after Mable instead. He seemed so friendly around her, Britta almost wished Faithful was as affectionate towards her.

"Don't get your hopes up." Her cat told her.

"You were so much nicer when you were a kitten." Britta informed him.

That morning, they went through the passageways to Mables room, against Britta's better judgement. Mable had already laid out all her clothes and was waiting for them.

"Usually I only have my maid to get ready with, and she barely speaks at all." She said.

"I'm sure you do enough speaking for you both." Remarked Britta.

Mable ignored her, and pointed to the clothes.

"We have to be quick, because we can't be late. I've locked the door to give you time to hide. I think you can both fit in my clothing trunk now I've taken all the clothes out." Mable nodded to the one at the corner of the room.

"Sure." Said Diana, looking through all the clothes. She finally settled on a light pink dress, which fitted her surprisingly well, though the sleeves were slightly too tight.

Britta straight away picked a black dress, which Mable grabbed off her.

"You're supposed to pick a lighter colour, it's fashionable now, and it blends in."

Britta tossed it back on the bed. "It would fit my daggers in perfectly," She complained.

Diana passed a pale green dress to her instead. Britta quickly changed into it, removing the shroud. It would do, she decided. At least its long sleeves would hide her weapon.

Mable had looked over her own clothes and chosen a yellow and black dress.

"You look like a bee." Britta laughed.

"Oh, I supposed you're right." Said Mable, looking down at herself.

She was in the middle of changing into a light blue dress when someone knocked on the door. The twins bolted to the chest and crammed themselves inside, listening intently to what was going on.

There was the scuffling of footsteps as someone else entered the room. The person was clearly Mables maid as she addressed Mable as 'your highness' saying only what was necessary. When she finally left, Mable opened the trunk for them, and Britta stretched out her cramped legs.

Now Mables blond hair was piled on her head, a few strands left out to frame her face. She helped Diana get ready, and Britta knew her sister was pleased with how she looked. She herself left most of her hair down, but even the plaiting at the back of her head caused her to claim she had developed a fear of the sharp clips used to hold it in place.

She felt the bracelet around her wrist, the one her mother had given her, and twisted the stone out from where she had hidden it from view. Mable noticed, and offered her a jade necklace to match, though it hung as a pendant from a gold chain, not braided cord.

Then, all dressed up, and armed, they walked back down through the passageways to arrive with the other guests. Britta kept reminding herself to walk with small, even, steps to avoid tripping over. Diana managed to look reasonably graceful, and Britta could feel, her mind was calm.

Everything out side was covered in flowers; the dance had been timed perfectly. It was late spring, and though the daffodils and bluebells were passed their best, the roses were blooming. Having climbed all over the castle walls, it was a beautiful sight.

On the way in, people's identities were being checked, most held invitations.

"Why did we not think of this?" Britta asked as the line moved on.

"Leave this to me." Said Diana, stepping up front.

As she spoke to the men at the door, her voice carried another tone. This one, sweet, like the scent of the roses that grew everywhere. Somehow, they let the twins in.

I used The Voice I think. Diana confided in her.

I think I did that once. I wasn't sure if it would work.

Neither was I. Her sister answered.

They found Mable almost as soon as they arrived. She was talking to the guests, her eyes scanning the crowd for the twins. Britta sidled up to her as Mable finished telling someone about 'going to visit the forest'.

"Hello Britta." She said, turning to her. "Have you seen anyone you know yet?"

Britta shook her head, and nodded to Diana, who was behind her.

"Diana will stay close. I am going to find out what is going on." She said.

Moving away, Britta scanned the crowd for a certain face. Black hair amongst a sea of swirling dresses and pressed silk suits. Finally, she spotted him, and walked over. She looked back over at Diana, and saw her dancing along with whoever had asked her, trying to keep an eye on Mable.

I've found him. She told her, and then concentrated on pushing through until she was standing behind him. He was looking in the opposite direction from her, clearly trying to find someone amongst the dancers.

"Hello." She said, and almost laughed as his head whipped around.

"Why do you keep turning up at the worst of times?" He asked her.

"Why? What's so bad about now?" Britta asked.

"Every time is bad when you turn up." He muttered, but Britta had a feeling it wasn't that, so she just raised an eyebrow.

"Why don't you find someone else to bother?" He asked.

"If it's escaped your notice, most people are dancing, and those men over there," Britta wrinkled her nose, "Are saying something about catching the princess." Beside her, Micah stiffened, so Britta continued. "Honestly, they could think of a more subtle way of mentioning it, they're making it sound like they're actually going to kidnap her."

"That's strange." Micah commented.

Britta noticed his eyes were narrowed, looking over at a specific group of men.

Diana, I think the other men are over near the entrance. Britta warned her.

Got it, I'll get Mable further in.

Britta nodded, turning her attention back to him.

"Indeed, I get the feeling something strange is going on, you know?"

"No."

Britta shrugged. "I haven't been wrong before."

"If that was true-" Micah broke off, looking at the clock. Britta noticed how he flicked up his hand, giving a subtle signal to the other men.

"Cat got your tongue?" Britta asked, trying to find out any more information.

Micah rolled his eyes. "Seriously, go find some else to annoy."

"None of them need quite so much annoying as you yourself does." She shot back, but when she looked at him, he was gone.

Cursing under her breath, she internally yelled at Diana.

It's happening.

Diana, wrenched herself away from her dance partner and met with Britta as they stood around Mable.

"The men at the entrance are the bad people." Britta hissed at Mable. "We have to go further inside."

But as they walked back, she realised there were more behind her.

We should let them catch us, they'll have to bring us somewhere, we can escape on the way. She said.

They won't take us too. Diana said.

Fine. Said Britta, reaching for her dagger.

"Go." She hissed at Mable, "We'll be right behind you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 215 24
•DRARRY STORY• ... -this story begins in 3rd year (The prisoner of Azkaban) 🐺🐀 ... Draco and Harry have hated one other since first year. But when...
19.6K 783 30
What happens when your worst nightmare becomes a reality? What happens when fairy tales come true? And not just the good ones. Arielle has grown up h...
6.1K 308 45
Old feuds, new worlds, and a love that will last a lifetime... Ever since her dad mysteriously abandoned her family, life on the Clifton Estate hasn'...
763 149 49
A WitchHunter with a glorious destiny. An assassin desperate for freedom. A stable boy with a dangerous secret. A friend with a hidden family. A bro...