Becca's Moments

By lazy_writr

Trust - the firm belief in the reliability, truth, or ability of someone or something. Due to her past traum... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter TwentyOne
Chapter TwentyThree
Chapter TwentyFour
Chapter TwentyFive
Chapter TwentySix
Chapter TwentySeven
Chapter TwentyEight
Chapter TwentyNine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter ThirtyOne
Chapter ThirtyTwo
Chapter ThirtyThree Part 1
Chapter ThirtyThree Part 2
Chapter ThirtyFour
Chapter ThirtyFive
Chapter ThirtySix
Chapter ThirtySeven
Chapter ThirtyEight
Chapter ThirtyNine
Chapter Forty
Chapter FortyOne
Chapter FortyTwo
Chapter FortyThree
Chapter FourtyFour
Chapter FortyFive
Chapter FortySix
Chapter FortySeven
Chapter FortyEight
Chapter FortyNine
Chapter Fifty (Part one)
Chapter Fifty (Part two)

Chapter TwentyTwo

18.8K 215 76
By lazy_writr

Kayden

"When are you gonna tell her?" I asked.

Nathan shrugged and closed his locker, releasing a pent-up sigh. It was the end of another long work shift, and we were in the middle of closing the store when he'd decided to tell me about his feelings for Stacey. It didn't come as a surprise, everyone could see that they liked each other, but they were too slow to realise it for themselves.

I pulled my hoodie on and slung my duffel bag over my shoulder as we left the staff room. "What do you mean you don't know?"

Nathan scoffed. "There's no point, bro. I already know how she feels."

"How do you know? Has she told you?"

"Nah, but I can just tell."

I laughed at that. This is why we're the inferior gender, we assume things without confirmation and just run with it. Although Ree hadn't explicitly said she liked me, her actions showed that she did, so it was enough to go by.

Stacey and Nathan had a similar relationship, but Nathan was too worried about what he thinks could happen between them instead of just going with the flow.

"You never know unless you try, fam," I said with a shrug.

Nathan hummed. "Talking from experience yeah?"

"Basically."

We left Footlocker and Nathan dragged the shutters down then used his keys to lock it in place. Then we continued down the high street.

"Oh yeah, it's your birthday tomorrow, init?"

I glanced at Nathan, surprised he remembered such a small detail. "Yeah."

"What are you doing for it?"

"Nothing."

Nathan laughed. "At least you have the day off. Enjoy it, fam."

"Trust me. Thanks, man."

Once we reached the bus stop, Nathan kissed his teeth and brought his phone out of his pocket. "Fuck it, I'm gonna call her."

I laughed at his sudden determination. "That's more like it. Get your girl." I checked the time on my watch and frowned. "I'm gonna bounce. I'll catch you later, yeah?"

"Safe, g." We spudded fists and I crossed the road to the bus stop heading the opposite direction. Time was getting on and I didn't even realise.

Once I was on the bus, I checked the time. It was coming up to 6pm. I'd promised Ree I would see aunt Tanisha, and I intended to stick to that promise.

I peered out the window, feeling angry yet helpless, unsure of how to handle the emotions bubbling inside me. The truth was, I was petrified. I didn't handle death well—not when it was my loved ones, anyway—so the knowledge that my auntie was close to taking her last breath weighed on me heavily. And what do I do instead of making sure I spent enough time with her as possible? I stay far away. Because then I don't have to face the reality of it.

How fucking stupid.

Rebecca was right all along; I just needed to suck it up and come to terms with it. The sooner I can do that, the sooner I can work on grieving and being there for my mum.

I took a deep breath and called uncle Trey.

He answered straight away. "Hello?"

"Hi uncle. It's me."

He sounded surprised. "Kayden? Haven't seen you in ages. What've you been up to?"

"How is she?"

He sighed, cutting out the small talk entirely. "Holding on."

"I'll be there in ten." I hung up and took a deep breath, feeling an even heavier weight on my shoulders.

Wait for me, auntie. I'm coming. Just hang on.

Don't go yet...

Becca

"I don't fucking know you! Just leave me alone!"

I watched as she wriggled against the ropey binds. Tears soaked Olivia's cheeks and her jumper was slack from the way I'd dragged her around. Now she sat against the wall with her hands tied behind her back. She looked pathetic and broken. It was the perfect image.

I won't lie; I had no idea what I would do once I entered her home. Luckily, she was alone, which gave me free rein to knock her around a bit and scare the shit out of her. All she could say was that I'd got the wrong person, that I'd made a mistake.

It pissed me off to no end.

I remained seated on the stool I had taken from the kitchen. It was facing the other way, allowing me to lean my arms on the backrest. Numerous questions floated around my head. There was so much I wanted to ask her, but I was running out of time.

"You make me sick," I spat. "You really have no idea why I'm here?"

She rested her head against the wall, looking physically drained. "Just tell me who you are."

"That's too easy. Use that fucking brain of yours, or has it been fucked out of you too many times?"

She spat on the floor, missing my foot by a few inches. Then she glared up at me with malice. "Fuck you."

I looked to the ceiling and released a heavy sigh. Then I rose from the stool and kicked it out of the way before bending down to her level. She stood her ground, looking defiant and righteous. She had the fucking audacity to play the victim here.

I grabbed a clump of her hair and socked her in the face. Her head twisted sideways from the impact, but my grip on her hair caused her to turn back to me instantly.

"See, now that's not going to help you, is it?" I dragged her head down so she was lying on her side and kicked her hard in the stomach. She yelped in pain and tried to curl into herself. "I could be a psychopath but you're trying to test my anger. See how fucking far that gets you."

I spotted drops of blood coming from her nose. She coughed and groaned quietly, shaking her head as if she'd had enough. Bless her, but we were only just beginning.

"Bottom line is you don't need to know who I am. But you've fucked with the wrong people. Literally."

Olivia glanced up at me and sniffed. Tears lined her lashes, yet her glare was cold.

"Do you know what you are?"

"Let me go," she pleaded quietly.

"Answer the fucking question. Do you know what you are?"

"No."

I raised a brow. "I think you're lying. You know exactly what you are. You know how people see you." I retrieved the switchblade I'd taken from Kieran's drawer a few days ago and flipped it up. I pressed the tip of the blade against my index finger. It was nice and sharp. "Let's play a game."

She immediately shook her head. "Please..." I crouched down just as she tried to scurry away, pushing the soles of her feet against the floor to try and slide towards the front door.

I grabbed her arm and pulled her body, rolling her onto her stomach. She cried out loudly when I straddled her hips and clutched her forearm.

"Shut up," I grunted. Olivia whimpered as I steadied the knife. "All you have to do is guess what the word is, okay?"

"No! Please!"

I shushed her and pressed the blade's edge into her skin, dragging it down slowly as I began to carve the first letter. Olivia screamed in pain and began to thrash beneath me.

"The more you move, the worse it'll get."

She stilled herself instantly and sobbed into the floor, her body giving small tremors.

I continued my handiwork. The cut wasn't deep—just a slice at the surface of the skin like a papercut– —yet the blood poured from the cut surprisingly quickly. Her cries grew louder just as I finished off the letter 'T'.

"It's done," I told her. She continued to cry, and the constant whining was beginning to piss me off. I grabbed her hair and pressed her head harder against the floorboard. "Hurry up and guess."

"I don't–... it hurts..."

"Guess the word."

She snuffed. "Whore," she mumbled.

That made me laugh. "No. Close, though." I stood up and watched as the word 'S L U T' marred her forearm, dripping with blood that stained the floor. "But that just proves you know what you are." I wiped the blade with a tissue and slipped it back into my pocket. The cut would heal, but it was something she couldn't hide from, and that was enough for me.

She craned her neck to watch me with glassy eyes. "I've seen you before," she whispered.

I crouched once again, struggling to hear her properly. "I know you have. But today will be the last time you see my face."

"You don't scare me," she sneered. "There isn't anything you can do that I haven't already been through."

So, she's been carved like a turkey before? Funny.

"You must've pissed off a lot of people then," I said with a shrug. "You know Drake?"

She seemed taken aback by the sudden question. "Yeah."

"Are you with him?"

"What?"

"I know you fucking understand me. Are you two together?"

She sighed. "Yeah."

"But wait, you were with Tyreece before." She paused at the mention of his name. "And now you're seeing his brother Zion as well, aren't you?" Her body was stiff now. "Not only him, but Leon too. How do you keep up?"

"How do you know all this?"

I shrugged apathetically. "Even Kieran's had a go. You're basically the neighbourhood bike. Everyone's ridden you."

She shook her head. "That's bullshit."

"Are you calling me a liar?"

"You don't know shit."

I laughed as such a weak defence. "But I do. You probably gave Leon an STD."

Olivia's eyes suddenly bugged. The realisation had hit her. "You're Rebecca?"

I gave a slow clap. "So you have a brain after all." I stood up and paced the hallway. "I shouldn't have to spell it out it for you, but Kieran's my brother; Drake, Zion and Tyreece are my friends, and Leon..." I shook my head in dismay, absolutely disgusted at ever having claimed him. "You already knew he was taken but you still fucked him behind my back. Mine?! Are you fucking stupid?"

Her expression had changed now. There was an air of superiority about her. "He didn't love you."

"Maybe. But that doesn't justify you spreading your filthy legs. Do you just fuck anything?" I kissed my teeth, feeling the anger bubble up again. "Wouldn't be surprised if you fucked Kayden as well."

I caught the wry smile that tugged at her lips. My body froze and I glared at her, dreading such an expression but understanding it entirely.

Her smile didn't waver. I wasn't sure what sickened me more; the fact that Kayden chose to lay down with this walking disease, or the fact that Olivia now had a one-up on me again.

I ignored the sinking feeling in my stomach and began to pace again.

"If you're talking about Kayden Brooks, then yeah. He fucked me good. Multiple times."

Images of the two of them in his bed—the very same bed where he professed his stupid feelings for me—came into mind. An involuntary shiver ran down my spine. "Shut the fuck up."

"Is he your new bae?" Olivia laughed. "You should be thanking me. I taught him everything he knows. He really knows how to make a girl come–"

My body had already made the decision before me, and before I could register what was happening, I kicked her hard across the face. Blood flew from her mouth and splattered on the oak flooring. Olivia cried out at the sheer force and swore under her breath.

"Fuckin' bitch," she spat, blood seeping from her lips.

The red tint in my eyes wasn't clearing. This was exactly how I felt when I attacked Shanay, and she had done far worse to me. Olivia was a different kind of evil, though. She actively pursued taken men, almost as if it gave her a thrill to be the other woman. Once she was done with them and they'd fulfilled their purpose, she tossed them aside.

How can someone live their life like that? How can someone's entire identity revolve around sex?

And even though she lay broken on the floor, I was the one feeling like shit. I wasn't getting the closure I was hoping for, and it aggravated me to no end.

"Fucking hoe. I can't even look at you," I sneered.

She spat out more blood before looking at me. "Leave then."

Just then, I'd found my resolve. I took a deep inhale and released it through my mouth, ridding the pent-up anger inside me. Going back and forth with her was a waste of time, and it's not like I was a murderer. I just had to accept that I wouldn't get closure this time.

But that didn't mean I couldn't fuck her up a bit more.

"Yeah. I'm gonna leave," I muttered. I grabbed the trusted stool and slowly picked it up. Olivia watched cautiously, her eyes following every minute action of my hand. I brought the stool down and whacked it over her head. Her body went limp.

I watched her unmoving body and placed the wooden stool back on the floor. Thankfully, there was no blood or gash, but the whack had knocked her out cold.

I rolled her onto her back and hooked my hands underneath her arms then hoisted her upper body off the floor. As I dragged her to the front door, I thought of how Olivia had impacted all of the males in my life. She'd had sex with my ex and brother, broke Tyreece's heart, led Zion on, and cheated on Drake. But worst of all ... she'd fucked Kayden. My Kayden.

I swung the front door open and dragged her over the threshold. I lugged her body outside and quickly peered around to see the street was more or less empty. It was around 6pm now. The autumn sky was almost a midnight blue, and the air was crisp and bitter.

I spotted a couple of communal bins by the end of the road and something clicked in my brain. With little effort, I trudged towards the bins. Once I was close enough, I opened the lid of the waste bin and hoisted Olivia's body up. The bin was hollow, half full of bin bags that had been tied up, bottles and other used materials. Using all my strength, I tipped her inside, her fall cushioned by the numerous bags. I pulled back from the repugnant smell and spotted a wooden block resting against the wall. Conveniently enough, it looked like the perfect fit to keep the bin handles in place.

I peered back down at Olivia. She laid there unconscious amongst the rubbish, her body mangled. At that precise moment, I felt nothing but pity.

"This is where you fucking belong." I slammed the lid down and shoved the wood through the handles, jamming the lid in place.

I released a heavy sigh and looked down at the blood on my hands. My mind felt blank, and I wasn't sure if I was overwhelmed or so overjoyed with the feeling of revenge that my brain just couldn't process it. Whatever the feeling was, it was far from regret.

I went back inside and washed the blood off my hands in the sink. Then I wiped up the splatter of blood off the floor and put everything back in its place. The last thing I wanted to do was leave a crime scene behind, plus, Olivia's mum didn't deserve to walk back into a destroyed home. My beef was solely with her daughter. It wasn't long before I was on the bus to quicken my journey. I still had to get home, shower, change, and join Dad to pick up his brother from the airport. I replayed the recent events in my mind and couldn't help the smug smile on my face.

First Shanay, then Leon, and now Olivia.

Three people that have fucked with me and have now faced the consequences.

Retribution was a remarkable feeling.

Kayden

Words couldn't describe the feeling in my chest right now. She slept peacefully, her narrow chest rising and falling as she took shallow breaths. The room was silent as I counted the seconds between each breath. It was too touch-and-go for my liking.

She was so fucking frail.

I never would've imagined I'd associate my aunt Tanisha with the word fragile, yet here she was, living proof that someone's life can diminish in seconds right before your eyes.

It was so out of character. It was bizarre. It was pissing me off.

I glanced away for a brief second and noticed uncle Trey standing beside me. I hadn't heard him come in the room, but it didn't make a difference who was here or not.

"How long?" I asked.

"I don't know." He crouched to brush her hair away from her eyes. "Doctors have an estimate, but it could be as soon as next week."

I clenched my jaw to prevent from shouting and waking her up.

According to uncle Trey, she was only ever in pain when she was awake, so he was always relieved to see her in a blissful sleep. But fuck all that. I wanted to take the pain away from her completely, absorb it if I had to. There were some fucked up people on this earth, so why was she the one to contract such a harrowing disease?

I've been here for an hour. Other than greeting uncle Trey and my little cousin Shavonne, I've done nothing but sit by her side. I waited for any sign of discomfort, or a sign she would wake up, just so I could look her in the eye one last time.

But it killed me. It killed me just to be near her. It killed me inside, knowing that she was slowly dying, yet there was nothing anyone could do.

She'd demanded to spend her last days at home, which meant no hospice, which meant no around-the-clock care if she needed it. Uncle Trey has taken so much time off work, and Shavonne barely attended school. It was as if life stood still for everyone, the world had stopped turning—all so we could see how this played out.

I checked the time on my watch before focusing on her again. She was so beautiful, but her being Mum's twin meant that I was staring into the distant future when my own mother would be in this predicament. And that's what disturbed me the most.

Her skin was pale and bloodless. Her body looked minuscule propped up against so many pillows in such a large bed, and her hair was thinning to the point of balding. Everything combined was too much to bear. I shut my eyes and swallowed the lump in my throat. Now I knew exactly how Mum, Dad and Zaine felt when they came to visit.

I stood up. "I'm going."

Uncle Trey looked at me. "Tell your dad to call me."

"Yeah." I headed for the door, pissed off that I was so close to tears, when a faint cough stopped me in my tracks. Then my ears picked up a faint murmur.

"Kayden..."

I turned to see aunt Tanisha in the same position, yet her tired eyes looked directly at me.

"Hi, auntie."

"Going already?" she asked with a weak smile.

My emotions were everywhere, but I held a strong front, moving back to her bedside and bending to give her a kiss on the forehead.

"Nice to see you, darling."

I sat on the stool and said nothing.

"How're you?"

"Been better."

Her eyes slid over to her husband, who was stood by the end of the bed. "Can I get a glass of water please?" Uncle Trey nodded dutifully and left the room. She turned back to me. "He usually can't stay away from me. That's how I like it."

I couldn't even smile at her jokes. I was too busy listening to her light breathing. "Why didn't you say anything?"

She breathed deeply and turned away, now avoiding eye contact. "Because I didn't want pity."

"And what if it was too late by the time we found out?"

"That never would've happened."

I shook my head in disbelief. As much as I was angry at the situation, I just couldn't be angry at her.

"That look right there. That's the pity I'm talking about." She grabbed my hand and squeezed it. "Fix your face right now."

I looked to the ceiling and tried to regain composure. Then I looked at her with a firm expression, but her fond smile made me feel warm inside.

"Yo todavía estaré con usted," she whispered.

I will still be with you.

I squeezed her hand in return. "Usted no puede hacer esto," I replied slowly. My Spanish was a bit rusty. I remember she would teach me her native tongue from a young age and would pay me if I got certain phrases right. But as I grew older, I used the language less, and now it was more or less non-existent in my brain. I deeply regretted that now.

"You'll be okay, Kayden." She stroked my cheek, just like Mum used to. "Just look after your mum for me."

"Always."

"And make sure you keep Zaine on the straight and narrow."

"He has no choice."

"Your dad is the man of the house, but you're quickly surpassing him, so don't let him feel threatened."

A laugh slipped out and I shook my head as a single tear slid down my cheek. "I won't."

"You're doing so well and I'll always be proud of you. Remember that."

I nodded and wiped the tear away. I wanted to be strong in front of her, but it was impossible.

"Big eighteenth tomorrow as well, don't think I've forgotten." Just then, Uncle Trey came in the room with a large glass of water. He placed it on the bedside drawer and aunt Tanisha gently tugged on his sleeve. "Get my purse for me, darling."

He did so without hesitation and she opened up the notes compartment. I watched as she took out a wad and folded them in half before placing them in my hand. "Here. Happy birthday."

"I really don't need this."

"Take it, Kayden. Put it towards something, or keep it in your savings if you want to, but as long as you take it." Her tone left no room for argument. I sighed and stuffed the notes in my back pocket.

"Thanks, auntie."

"Maybe take Rebecca on a date?" she wriggled her brows and I blinked in confusion. "Don't look so confused. Your mum tells me everything." She squeezed my hand once again. "She sounds lovely. Am I hearing wedding bells or screaming babies first? Which one?"

I chuckled. "None right now."

She rolled her eyes. "Just treat her well, okay?"

"That's the plan."

"Good." She attempted to hoist her body up the bed, but her body was too weak. Uncle Trey was beside her in an instant, lifting her upper body up against the pillows. She took the glass and drank the water slowly. Even that seemed like a struggle. "So, what's your birthday plans?"

"I was gonna relax at home."

She managed a laugh. "You're eighteen going on eighty. Listen, I have one last wish..."

I shook my head. "Don't talk like that, auntie."

"Shush and listen. I need you to enjoy yourself tomorrow. Make sure you do something to commemorate this milestone. Life is short and it'll hit you when you least expect it. So, promise me you'll celebrate as much as you can."

I noticed the desperation in her eyes and nodded. "Alright. I will."

She gave a gentle smile. "Thank you."

I stood up and leaned in to give her a kiss on the cheek. "I have to go."

Aunt Tanisha gave me a hug. "Thanks for stopping by."

"Sorry it took so long."

She shook her head. "Don't worry about it."

"I'll be back tomorrow after I celebrate."

A smile lit up her face. "Bring a notebook and pen. We'll go over some more Spanish. And say hello to Rebecca for me."

I laughed and agreed before saying a final goodbye and leaving the room, uncle Trey in tow. He shut the door behind him and pulled me in for a hug.

"Thanks for coming."

I held him back, feeling waves of anxiety flow from his body. "Yeah. Keep looking after her."

"Of course."

Once I reached the front door, Shavonne poked her head out from her bedroom.

"You're going already?"

"Yeah, got some things to do. You coming mine tomorrow for some birthday cake?"

Her eyes almost sparkled. "Yeah, I'll be there."

"See you then." I kissed her cheek and left the house.

Claycia

I never thought I'd miss the island I called home, but arriving in wet and dreary London made me think twice.

Dad told me and Diamond about the business he and uncle Steve had in London: to renovate Grandma's inhabited home before putting it on the market. So, we've taken some time off school to stay for a few weeks and get to know our family better.

We exited the plane and came out of the jet bridge and into the terminal. We followed the sign to the baggage claim and eventually retrieved our possessions. It was hard to shake the fatigue from my system after a nine-hour flight, but the smile on Dad's face kept me hopeful. He'd always wanted to take us to another country, especially where family was concerned. We'd never had much money to travel, so Dad was proud to finally announce we'd be staying in England while he worked on a project with his brother. Mum was happy to let us go, as she had to carry on managing the church anyway.

After the long-winded security checks and constant queueing, we finally made our way to the airport exit. We rolled our suitcases to the front and a deep voice called out for Dad.

"Clayton!" We both looked to the source of the shout and saw uncle Steve approach us with Andre and Rebecca. They'd both grown a lot, especially since the last time I saw them was when they came to visit. I must've been at least eight at the time.

To me, Andre looked the same, just taller with broad shoulders and the same expressionless face. His hair was now in a high-top and his face had filled out a little. The hairs resting above his top lip didn't go unnoticed, either.

Rebecca looked completely different. From her build, to her face, to her hair—just everything. She was stunning, and a little intimidating to say the least. She spotted me and grinned, clasping me into a massive hug and saying how much she'd missed me. Meanwhile, our dads greeted each other with a brotherly hug before greeting their brother's respective kids.

"I can't believe how much you've grown," Rebecca said to me. "You look unreal."

I smiled at the compliment, spoken in that London twang I still wasn't used to. "You look like a model."

Rebecca burst out laughing. "Let's not tell lies on the first day."

Andre gave me a brief hug and pulled back with a warm smile. "Long time. You alright?"

I nodded and returned his smile.

Diamond continued to shelter herself behind Dad's leg, which Rebecca had noticed.

"You don't remember us, Dee?" she asked, bending down a little to smile at her. Diamond shook her head and everyone laughed. "I'm Rebecca, your big cousin. And this is Andre, my brother. Nice to meet you."

Diamond said the same in a muted voice.

"Not surprised she doesn't remember," uncle Steve chimed in. "She was likkle bit when we last went yard."

Dad nodded. "She'll warm up soon, man. Come wi guh."

The drive back was light-hearted, full of banter and reminiscence. Uncle Steve asked us about times we were way too young to remember, like the time Andre and I had gotten into a fight in Dunn's River, or the time Kieran had tried to get into a nightclub using my dad's ID.

I peered out the window and watched the grey sky. The climate here was completely different, but I expected it. It was autumn now, so the sky was already pitch black and the roads were empty.

Diamond had fallen asleep in the back of the seven-seater. Dad and uncle Steve were busy chatting about planning permission for the property or whatever, and Andre texted on his phone.

Rebecca turned to me. "You okay?"

I nodded. "Jus' tired."

She smiled. "I love your accent. It seems thicker."

"So's yours. You sound like the queen."

Rebecca laughed. "That witch wishes she sounded like me."

That made me smile. I've always liked Rebecca's attitude. She always seemed like a wild one, but it managed to attract the attention of everyone around her. I remember her being more boisterous when we were younger, but Dad said she'd calmed down after her mum's death. No matter what, Rebecca's always had my back, being three years older than me.

Either way, this trip was gonna be an experience.

Becca

We reached home around 10pm and helped uncle and the girls carry their luggage out the car. It was dark and quiet, and numerous yawns were heard as we approached the front door. We entered the house and I switched on the lights.

"It's freezing," Claycia said in her little accent.

"Yeah, you'll have to get used to that," Andre muttered. "No more sunshine and palm trees for you."

Claycia rolled her eyes, already used to Andre's teasing. Seeing as they were the same age, they always got along really well.

Uncle Clayton rested a sleeping Diamond on the sofa while he helped to bring the rest of the luggage in. Then he rested his hands on his hips and breathed deeply.

"Whew. Finally made it, man."

Dad clapped him on the back. "Welcome back, Clay."

Not long after, we were sat in the living room eating some dinner that Dad had cooked earlier on. Kieran was nowhere to be found, but that was to be expected. He was probably out spreading his seed as per usual.

"'Ow school goin', Beccs?" Uncle Clayton asked, sucking the marrow out the chicken bone like he always did.

"Not bad, getting easier."

From there, he began to question me on everything. My age, what school I went to, what university I would apply for, my hobbies and interests, if I had KIDS(?), my future plans, my five-year plan... Shit, he asked me more questions than Herman did for my Footlocker interview. Finally, he asked if I had a boyfriend.

"Nope," I said with confidence.

"Yeah, she does," Andre butted in, instantly smiling at me when I glared.

Uncle Clayton's face stiffened. "Who?"

"His name's Kayden."

I kicked him. "Shut up. He's my friend."

Andre's smirk grew. He knew full well that I couldn't actually beat him up whilst uncle Clayton was around. He was much stricter than Dad and had no issue disciplining his brother's kids.

Dad simply laughed. "Stop winding your sister up. She still has Leon."

"No," I admitted quietly.

Claycia's brows were raised the entire time. Diamond was beginning to fall asleep again, her plate of food close to slipping from her lap.

Dad was confused now. "What happened to him?"

"We were on different wavelengths about certain stuff, so we agreed to end it." Images of Leon writhing in pain on the kitchen floor with blood pouring from his leg brought a smile to my face. Might be a while before he considered another relationship if you ask me.

"Sorry to hear, Beccs."

I waved my hand in dismissal. "Don't worry, Dad. These things happen."

Uncle Clayton simply grunted. "Claycia nah ave a man til shi 40." He and dad laughed and Clayica rolled her eyes.

It was around 11:40pm when everyone finally went to bed, deciding to unpack the rest of their things the following day. Since Dad had built a roof extension a few years ago—turning a three-bed into a five-bed—sleeping arrangements were simple. Uncle Clayton had the top room upstairs, while Claycia and Diamond shared the guest room on the first floor, just by Kieran's room.

Despite the time, I chanced calling Kayden. I knew what he had planned for today, and I wanted to check if he managed to follow through with it.

He answered after a couple of rings. "Ree."

"Kayden?" I stared at the ceiling, a little bothered by the tone of his voice. "Did you see her?"

The line went silent for a few seconds, then, "Yeah."

The underlying pain in his voice struck a chord with me, and I found myself clutching my chest. My heart was thumping. "Not good?"

"Bad. Very bad."

I frowned. "Was she awake?"

"After a while, yeah. She said hello."

I smiled weakly. How kind of her, and she didn't even know me. "She sounds sweet. Do you know anything about time frames yet?"

"Not really. Nah." He paused for a moment and then sighed. "I don't really wanna talk about it."

I nodded as if he could see me. "Okay. We won't."

Although Kayden was hurting right now, I was glad he finally paid his auntie a visit. He'd put it off for so long, hoping the situation would correct itself, when that wasn't how real life worked.

Surprisingly, he was still up for conversation. "What are you doing awake? Are your cousins there now?"

"Yeah, they're here. And I can't sleep."

"Maybe I can help."

I smiled at the proposition. "How?"

"Kissing all over your body usually makes you drowsy. But since I'm not there, just imagine me doing it."

There was a tingle in my stomach. "Can't you just tell me a bedtime story or something?"

"Alright. Once upon a time..."

I turned on my side and shut my eyes, leaving my phone on loudspeaker. "I'm listening."

"There was a young woman called Rebecca Stellon. She was part of a regal family and was known as the Princess of Brixton."

I snorted. "Go on."

"Rebecca's family was in the middle of finding her a suitable man to marry. Can you guess who they found?"

Somehow, I managed to roll my eyes beneath my closed eyelids. "Kayden Brooks?"

"Nah. Some lowlife peasant called Leon. He was the first in line due to their history. Anyway, a sexy, handsome, charming prince from across the water called Kayden heard the news and travelled all the way to Brixton and challenged Leon to fight to the death. The winner would have the princess' hand in marriage."

The smile on my face grew wider. "So, what happened?"

"The sexy, handsome, charming prince won, init."

"And they got married and lived happily ever after?"

I could practically see Kayden's faint smile as he spoke, "Yeah. And Princess Rebecca popped out seven kids after that."

My laugh was louder than expected. "You have the wildest imagination."

He chuckled. "Still not tired?"

"I am, actually," I mumbled with a yawn.

"Go to sleep. I'll chat to you later."

"Okay. I'm proud of you, by the way."

Kayden fell silent for the fourth time. "Thanks."

"Goodnight."

"Night, Ree."

Kayden

I hung up and sighed, feeling a little bit lighter. I left the bedroom and went back to the living room where Amz was playing Fifa.

"Everything good?" he asked.

"Yeah." I collapsed on the sofa. After seeing aunt Tanisha in such a state, I needed something raw to smoke, and Amz was the best person to provide it. I couldn't remember the last time I craved something so strong, but still, nothing beats the potency of Rebecca. She was a different kind of drug entirely.

I remembered when Rebecca first met Amz back when we went to the under-18s rave. He always wore his caps right over his eyebrows, making his eyes appear mysterious and hooded. Rebecca's been calling him Papoose ever since.

Amz was a cool guy, but he wasn't part of my main circle. Same goes for Kamar, although he's been off the grid for a while. I made sure to check in with the mandem occasionally, but Amz was my main plug for certain shit.

"Oh yeah, here." Amz threw me the bag and I caught it with one hand. I could smell it through the bag. This was exactly what I needed: 3.5 grams of kushy goodness. I stuffed it in my pocket.

"Safe, bro."

"No worries, fam. It's your birthday tomorrow, init? Don't worry about p."

I stood up spudded him. "Safe. I owe you one." He nodded and I slipped my hat on. "Heard from Kamar yet?"

"Nah. Ever since that rumour about him getting into some kind of car accident, he's been mad quiet."

I hummed. "Let me know if he hollers."

"Yeah yeah."

I soon left and headed straight to Kenneth's. He'd called while I was on my way to Amz, something about an emergency meeting. I had an idea of what it was about. The plan was to stay for a bit, then head home to finally relax and chill. I couldn't wait to take my first inhale of this new batch and numb my mind for a few hours. Today's been emotionally draining, to say the least.

I reached Ken's in no time. He opened the door and I followed him to the living room where everyone was drinking and smoking, except for Christian; he was busy examining his nails.

Clipz noticed me first. "Tempz! What's good, fam?"

"Same shit, man." I took a seat on the sofa after spudding him. "What's goin' on?"

Rider leaned over the coffee table billing a zoot. He glanced up at me. "You hear about Dean?"

Dean: the same prick who fucked around with Marik's money. We'd brought him to the base so that Marik could handle him, but he somehow escaped. No one knew how or why, but Marik was pissed.

"Yeah. Could be anywhere by now."

"Nah, we know where he is," Ken assured. He looked rough the last time I saw him, but it seemed like his spirits were picking back up. "Stupid fuck went back home. We're gonna handle things differently this time."

"Yo, Kayden. How's your girl?" Nicholas asked, wriggling his brows.

"She's good."

"Rah, you didn't even deny it. Are you together now?"

"Not yet."

Nic rolled his eyes. "You're taking your time."

I shrugged. "You don't rush these things."

Chris slapped my thigh. "That's what I like to hear. You're saving yourself like me."

I shook my head. "I'm not waiting for marriage, Chris. We're not the same."

Rider laughed at something on his phone. "You lot hear about what happened to Leon?"

"Yeah. Shanked in the leg or somethin'?" Clipz asked, taking another pull of his zoot.

Rider nodded. "He's in hospital now. Prick's lucky we didn't get to him first. Marik still wants his head."

"We'll deal with him after Dean," Ken promised. He handed me the zoot; I decided to take a quick pull and exhaled. It quickly clouded my brain and I rested back on the sofa, enjoying the effects.

"I feel sorry for him," Chris mused as he studied his nails. He perked up when he caught us watching him. "What?"

"What is it with you and your nails, fam?" Nic asked.

He kissed his teeth. "The nail hardener I bought didn't do shit. Waste of two pounds."

I shook my head at Christian's hyper-femininity and took another pull. "What's Marik saying about Dean then?"

Ken sighed. "He wants us to go round there tonight. Fuck him up a bit. Deliver a final message."

"What kinda message?" Rider asked.

"An ear or finger."

"That's not enough," Clipz chimed in. "Need to get his family involved. Then he'll listen."

Nic laughed. "Fuck all that. It's taking too long. He needs an ultimatum; either pay up or die."

"Ultimatum?" Chris blinked, stunned. "You know big words?"

Nic scowled. "I know what your mum's pussy feels like. Dickhead."

Christian chuckled. "Yeah, okay."

"Nah, the family ting isn't a bad idea," Kenneth said. He fiddled with the rizla in his hand. "Taking him before didn't have an effect but using his family will scare him straight."

Clipz nodded. "We already know the deets, so it wouldn't be hard. His mum, two little sisters, one brother and one cousin—they're all living there. Just take your pick."

Ken stroked his chin as he considered it. "The younger the better."

"What about the youngest one? She answered the door for us that time," Nic suggested. He and Ken exchanged a look as if they had hit the jackpot.

"Imagine a little girl like her going missing," Ken said, a conniving smile lighting up his face.

Rider shook his head with a laugh. "I'm down."

"Same," Clipz said.

Chris remained silent.

Ken looked at me. "You in?"

I quirked a brow. He knew how I felt about getting kids involved with this shit. It was bad enough Dean's little sister had to see us the first time. "You lot serious?"

"Yeah, man."

"You're going after a little girl?" I asked again.

Rider laughed. "It's not the first time, Tempz. Chill."

"You're all fucked."

Ken shrugged. "It's life, init. Dean should've paid up." He took a pull of his zoot and exhaled. "We need to figure out her schedule, find out where she goes to school and that. They're well off, so she gets lifts everywhere, I know that much."

They all nodded in agreement. I felt sick. Maybe seeing aunt Tanisha's condition had changed something in me, but I couldn't imagine harming anyone else. Everyone deserved a second chance, even someone like Dean. Getting an innocent family involved was the lowest thing you could do, and I wanted no fucking part in it.

"Think of something else," I grunted.

They all turned to me and Nic laughed. "What's wrong with you, man?"

"Leave the family out of it. It has nothing to do with them."

"That's the point." Rider shrugged. "Whoever can't hear, must feel."

"Since when did you get all soft on us?" Clipz asked.

"She's a little child. What, you're gonna treat her the same way you did Dean?" I could feel my anger boiling again.

"Not in the same way," Ken said. "But we'll have to rough her up a bit."

"Fuck that."

Rider sighed. "Look, are you down or not, fam?"

"Nah, I'm not fucking down."

"I agree with Kayden," Chris spoke up. "There's other ways to get Dean to pay. That little girl is, what, six or seven?"

Nic kissed his teeth. "Shut the fuck up, Chris. Majority wins, and we're doing it."

I clenched my fists. How can they think of harming someone as young as six? Zaine and Shavonne aren't as young, but if something ever happened to them, I'd kill someone.

Rider chuckled. "Kayden's turning all Mother Teresa on us. You need to relax."

"I said find another fucking way."

Ken shook his head. "It's decided, bro. So, either you're with us, or you hear from Marik."

"Fuck Marik."

Nic whistled. "Take that back, Tempz."

I glared at them. These fucking pricks had no moral compass. Anything goes for them; they were ready to follow Marik's orders without questioning a thing, but we had to draw the line somewhere. No amount of money or weed can make me torture a little girl. I was blinded by the power this job had given me, but I was finally seeing clearly.

"I'm not taking shit back. Fuck him."

"You're part of this, Kayden. Don't forget that," Rider warned.

"Not anymore. This is bullshit." I shot up from the sofa. Everyone watched me warily.

"So what you sayin'?" Clipz asked.

"Fuck Marik, fuck this whole ting, and fuck you lot. I'm done." I pushed past them and headed for the door.

Ken's voice just about reached my ears, "You know Marik will come after you for this."

I held the door handle and turned back to them. These spineless fucks. They'd do anything for some quick p. They would kill their own mum if Marik ordered them to. It made me realise that I've been with the wrong crowd for too long. But no more.

"Let him come," I said. I flipped my hood up and left.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101 1 7
~Psychological Romance between two childhood friends~
683 4 19
Besides the love they have for each other, Two individuals are more connected than they could even imagine. Pride, lies, tragedy, and betrayal can ei...
3.3K 137 34
A story filled with love, beauty, and pain. Read to find out...
15.5K 343 14
Love is a beautiful thing. It takes commitment for it work. Alicia and Harrison are newly weds and building a beautiful life together. A chance meeti...