I found my mate

By califl0wer

Elenor Wallace wasn't really looking for him, it happened on accident. But whatever. She cant help who her ma... More

I guess I found my mate
I'm an idiot.
Life sucks sometimes
My mate, Elenor
He wants to get to know me
She's all I need
You want me to meet your parents? In this!?
Perfection.
This again?
But you're Mine.
Four?!
So We're Dating
First Day?
Best Feeling In The World
Maybe...
Finally marked her!
Two More Days for James
Forever Mine
A small problem
Conversations and cuteness
She's in and He's In
James' Birthday
Mates and Dates
Irresistible
It's Friday
Not an Update, sorry!
Date Night

James found his mate

2.9K 109 10
By califl0wer

Elenor’s POV

We woke up in the morning and I sneaked off to shower, locking the door so Dylan wouldn’t bother me. I showered and towel dried my hair before slipping on my undergarments. I didn’t find my clothes in the bathroom so I stuck my head out to see if Dylan was still in the room. “Dylan?”

“Hm?” I heard a mumble from the bed.

“Could you hand me my clothes?” I asked quietly.

He lifted his head and looked at me. “I’ve seen it, El.” His head fell back down, telling me he wouldn’t be getting up to give me my clothes anytime soon.

I sighed, but opened the door to get my clothes anyways. I went over to his drawers and opened the one I usually kept an outfit in. I found a pair of shorts and a flowy shirt and shut the drawer. Before I could start to get dressed I felt two arms slide around my waist and a body press against mine.

“Dylan…” I started.

“Mmm,” He mumbled. “You smell nice.”

“And you stink,” I joked. “You should take a shower.”

He just tightened his arms. “I can’t, not with you standing here like this.” He kissed the crook of my neck and I leaned back into him.

“Maybe you could let me get dressed.”

“No…” He mumbled and continued kissing down my shoulder, slipping my bra strap down. He pushed the clothes out of my hand, making me drop them. He spun me around then, so he could kiss me properly.

I kissed him back, wrapping my arms around his head. He lifted me, and I felt the wall behind my back. Soon I felt his little friend pressing into me and I pulled away. “No, no.” I shook my head slightly. “We have school in less than an hour.”

“I don’t care.” He mumbled into my neck. He licked my mark.

“Dylan,” I sounded breathless, even to myself.

He undid my bra and that fell to the floor.

I moaned and grabbed his head, pulling his face to mine and crashing my lips to his.

We did make it to school on time. Barely, but we did. James was nowhere to be found. By lunch, I started to get a bit worried.

“He’s fine, I’m sure.” Dylan said quietly to me. We were sitting at the table with Alicia. “Probably just thinking.”

“Did you meet her?” I asked.

“His mate?” He said. “No, not really. She was the wolf growling at us. I was going to attack, but James yelled at me.” He frowned. “Which he probably shouldn’t ever do again for his own sake.”

I patted his arm. “I’ll remind him who you are.”

He grinned down at me.

“What are you guys chatting about?” Alicia cut in.

We both turned to her. “Hey, want to hang out tonight?” I asked, ignoring her question.

“Sure!” She said.

“Come over around 5?”

She nodded. “Sounds good.” She looked down at her food. “This is not a good sandwich. I’ll be right back.” She left and we watched her toss out her sandwich and go to stand in line for cafeteria food.

“Do you do that alot?” Dylan asked.

“What?”

“Ignore her questions.”

“I didn’t… Okay, yeah. I guess I do.” I realized. “Well, I’m telling her tonight… so it’ll make up for it.”

He smiled and shook his head a bit, looking down at his food. “You’re-” He looked up suddenly, towards the cafeteria entrance.

I followed his gaze and found James headed our way. He plopped down into the seat across from me.

“So? What’s up?” I asked.

He didn’t look at me. “Can we not talk about it here?”

“Can you look at me when you talk to me?” I asked.

He looked up at me. “Happy?” He looked like he hadn’t slept for days and his hair was a mess. He didn’t look very happy either.

“James,” I said in a soft voice. “What happened?”

“She ran from me. I was chasing her all night.” He hung his head. “I don’t know why she would run from me in the first place.”

“Did you catch her?” Dylan asked before I could.

James gave a tiny nod. “I managed to convince her to give me a chance to talk with her.” He said. “And then she somehow convinced me to go home and go to bed.” He shook his head. “By the time I got home it was 5:30 and I couldn’t sleep. She said she would meet me tonight to talk.”

I reached out my hand and touched his arm. “You’ll work things out.”

Alicia came back then. “Hey, James! Where have you been?”

“Hey Alicia.” He mumbled.

She looked at me. “What’s up with him?” She whispered.

“I’ll explain later.” I said.

We chatted about little things for the rest of lunch, while James kept his head down, probably filling his brain with bad thoughts. When lunch was over, the four of us stood up and headed out. Dylan pulled me back a bit.

“Hey, I’m going to go straight to my class, give you two a little time to talk.” He said. “I’ll see you later?”

“Of course, thank you.” I smiled at him.

He gave me a peck and then walked off as I caught up with Alicia and James once more.

“I have to go print my paper.” Alicia remembered suddenly. “I’ll see you guys later.” Then she was gone also.

James and I walked a bit in silence before I broke it. “Why did you even come to school? You could have just skipped the whole day.”

       He shrugged. “Mainly to see you.”

       We were at my locker now and he leaned heavily against the wall of lockers as I opened mine.

       “I miss the way we were before Dylan.” He said. “We hung out more, talked more…” He stopped and paused. “I’m not sure if I still like you as more than a friend… I feel like I do, but I also want my mate.” He looked down. “It seems like she doesn’t want me though.”

       “James, who wouldn’t want you?” I said. “You’re a great guy, you’re intelligent, you know how to do things, you’re athletic. You could probably take on our pack’s third in line.” I paused. “Okay, maybe the 4th best fighter, but that’s great for not being a fighter yourself. You’re funny and playful. And to top it all off, you’re even attractive.”

       “So why won’t my mate stay with me?”

       “I don’t know, James.” I said honestly. “Maybe she thinks she doesn’t deserve you, or she just got out of a bad breakup.”

“I doubt that.” He said.

I shrugged. “You never know. She could have been making out with her boyfriend at the time, and then felt the pull towards you, her mate, and then she just broke down, because she had to break up with him. And now even though you’re her mate, she misses what they had and she unjustly blames you.” I tried to hide my laugh.

He made a face at me. “You are not helping me.”

“When are you going to talk to her?” I shut my locker.

“Tonight.” He answered as we headed towards our class. “She said she will meet me at the river at 7:30.”

“Will you keep me posted as to how it’s going?”

“Why?”

“I want to know you’re still alive and doing alright.”

“She’s not going to kill me.” James glared at me.

“Wow.” I said softly. “I don’t think you have ever glared at me with such hatred before.”

I heard him sigh and turned to see him run his hand over his face. “I’m sorry, El. I could never hate you. I just thought maybe this mate thing would have been easier. Why is she making it so difficult?”

“I’m just looking out for you.” I said. “I want to believe she wouldn’t hurt you, but I don’t know her. You don’t even know her yet.” I paused. “Do  you know her name? What pack she is from? What rank her family is?”

He shook his head. “No, I don’t know anything except she’s my mate.”

“Maybe you should go back home and get some rest.” I said, looking at him. He really looked like a mess, with his messy hair and bags under his eyes, wrinkled clothing and slow movements.

He ran a hand over his face. “Well, now I’m already here. I shouldn’t skip my classes.”

I rolled my eyes. “There’s the James I know.”

“Did you just roll your eyes at me?”

I raised my eyebrows. “What are you going to do about it?”

He chuckled and threw his arms around me, lifting me a foot in the air. “God, I’ve missed you, El.”

I smiled as he set me back down. “We better get to class since you’re staying.”

He kept his grin as we started walking. “After I figure out this mate problem, we will have a movie night.” He said. “Just me and you.”

“You think your mate would like that?” I know Dylan wouldn’t exactly like that idea.

He put his arm around my shoulders. “I need you in my life El.” He said. “No, she probably won’t, but Dylan is… better about us, and my mate will have to understand too.” He dropped his arm as we went into our classroom.

“Well,” I sat down at my desk. “I’m up for it.”

He sat and grinned at me some more.

“You have to figure out your mate first.”

He smile faltered but he pulled it back again. “And I am not going to worry about that until after school.”

“Okay.” I smiled. The rest of the school day went well. James put on a pretty good happy facade. And reading into his mind a little I could tell that he really was trying not to think of his mate. He just wanted a few hours off.

The doorbell rang and I ran to get it. “Hey Alicia!” I pulled her inside and shut the door. We made a bowl of popcorn and went up to my room.

“I have to tell you something.” I started.

“What’s up?” She asked, putting popcorn in her mouth and sitting on the end of my bed.

“I should have told you this a long time ago.” I said, sitting down by my pillows. “Try to see from my point of view why I didn’t share already.”

She looked up at me. “You’re starting to scare me, El.”

“I’m a werewolf.” I blurted, then watched for a reaction.

“What?” Alicia had a confused look on her face.

I took a deep breath. “I can turn into a large wolf.”

She opened her mouth to say something, then closed it. I waited. “Can I see?” She asked, hesitantly.

“Um, yeah.” I stood up and went to the middle of my room where there was enough space for my wolf. “Don’t run, okay Alicia?”

She nodded.

I pulled off my shirt and pants (Alicia has been my friend for years, I think we’re okay with this) and glanced at her once more before shifting. As a wolf, I slowly approached her, and stood near her, waiting until she hesitantly lifted a hand to touch my fur. I shifted back, asked her to look away as I got dressed, and then took my spot on my bed once more.

“What the hell?” Alicia was quiet.

“Sorry I didn’t tell you sooner, I just--”

“I can understand.” She said. “But damn, that’s awesome.” That comment made me pause. “It’s like all the books I read, only real life!” She looked at the ceiling. “My best friend is a werewolf. Do your parents know?” She looked at me.

“They’re wolves too.” I answered.

Her mouth fell open and then she looked slowly at the ceiling again.

It was silent for awhile and I didn’t break it, letting Alicia gather her thoughts.

“Wow.” Alicia let out minutes later. “Who would’ve thought.”

“There’s something about werewolves,” I started again. “We have mates.” I decided that just saying it is the best route for this conversation.

“Mates!” Alicia said. “I love reading the part where mates meet. You should check out some of the stories I’ve found. Your parents must be mates then.” She smiled. “Oh my gosh, have you met your mate!?” She asked, then gasped. “Is Dylan your mate? Dylan must be a werewolf too then! Is Dylan a wolf?!”

I laughed, loving Alicia for how well she was taking this and glad to have her as my friend. “Dylan is a wolf and he is my mate.” I said.

She held a hand to her mouth. “You two are too cute.” She stared at me a moment longer before asking. “Who else is wolf?”

I sighed. “James is a werewolf.”

“No way.” She said. “Really?”

I nodded. “And he just found his mate last night, but she’s running from him.”

Alicia narrowed her eyes. “If I ever meet this girl she will get an earful from me.” She said. “Who would run from James? If I haven’t known him forever, I would date him! This chick has better got a good reason.”

“I love that I can talk to you about all of this now.”

“Who’s your Alpha?” She asked.

I paused for a moment. “It’s cool, but very strange that you know this kind of thing about werewolves. Mr. Wolfe is the Alpha.” I let that settle.

“Dylan’s dad is Alpha? That means Dylan will become Alpha! That means you’re going to be Luna!” Her smile was huge. “I’m best friends with the Luna of the--” She stopped. “What is your pack name?”

“Silver Moon.”

“I’m best friends with the Luna of the Silver Moon pack.” She finished.

“There’s more.” I said.

She turned to me.

“You know quite a few wolves, but there is only one more I haven’t told you about who you actually talk to.”

“Who would that be?”

“John is a wolf.”

“John Sumter?”

I nodded. “Yep.” At this point, I realized that John probably did not want me to tell Alicia that they are mates. I had to think quick about what to say next. “And when you were hanging out with him in his room, that was the pack house.”

She turned away from me again. “Everything makes so much sense now.” She said. “Why you’re good at athletics, why Dylan was at John’s bedroom door, why James was in a weird mood at lunch.” She let out a breath and then sat up suddenly. “John wants to hang out. How would I do that? He’s a wolf!”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re hanging out with me and it’s the same as it’s always been… Except we are talking about werewolf boys instead of just boys.”

“But--”

“Alicia,” I interrupted. “We are wolves, but unless you get us incredibly pissed off really quickly, we would not hurt you.” I said. “At least the wolves you know would not hurt you… on purpose.”

       “You’re not making this much better.” She said.

       “Okay,” I said. “Just trust me. Next time you hang out with John, he will not hurt you.”

       She rolled her eyes.

       “You promised you would say yes if he asked you out.” I reminded her.

       She sighed.

       “Hey, when he calls you, you say yes.” I said. “And then call me and tell me when you’re going there and I’ll be there. I can stay with Dylan, but if you get uncomfortable with John, I’m there for you.”

       She looked at me with a small smile. “Really? You’d do that?”

       I let out a laugh and nodded. “Of course.” I said. “I mean, it’s just hanging out with Dylan at the pack house instead of somewhere else.”

       Her mouth fell open. “It’s the pack house.” She remembered aloud. “How many wolves live there?”

       “Stop worrying.” I said. “They all stay to themselves.”

       “This is so much to take in.”

       “Well get used to it because you hang out with a bunch of animals.”

       She threw a pillow at me and laughed as she fell back onto my bed with a sigh. “Now I sortof wish John would call.” She said. “I think he has some talking to do as well.”

       That can be arranged, I thought. Dylan. I used the link to contact Dylan.

       It took him a minute but eventually he responded. Yeah, I’m here. What’s up, babe?

       I’m not linked up with John. I told him. Could you tell John that, if he wants to call, Alicia would be more than happy to answer her phone?

       Done. He said a moment later.

       Thanks.

       A phone started ringing and Alicia sat up with hers in her hand. “No way.” She said. “It’s John.”

       I smiled.

       She saw and pointed a finger at me. “You have more talking to do.”

       “And you have a phone to answer.”

       She hesitated and looked at her phone once more before turning back to me. “You don’t mind?”

       “Not at all.” I said. “Now answer your phone!”

       She grinned and tapped her phone. “Hello?” She answered. “Hi John.”

       So how did the talk go? Dylan asked through the link.

       Really well, actually. I answered him. She thinks it’s cool that her best friend is a werewolf, she thinks we’re cute, and she’s worried about hanging out with John.

       But she has no problem with you?

       That’s what I told her. I glanced at Alicia who was now sitting in the chair on the other side of my room. She’ll get used to it. And I don’t think John will have much of a problem with her.

       No? He chuckled.

       Except for proving he’s done with all his other girls.

       He’s committed. Dylan told me. You should have seen him the other day. He was actually pushing girls away.

Huh. He really is trying to change.

Yeah, he--

       James was suddenly in my head. What if she doesn’t show up?

       I glanced at my clock and saw that it was only a few minutes before 7:30. Hey, Dylan, I have to go. James is meeting with his mate and he needs me. I’ll talk to you soon.

       You’re not meeting him are you?

       Not physically. I’m just going to be mind-linking him.

       Okay. Talk to me after. Love you.

       I said a quick goodbye to him and responded to James. How long have you been waiting?

       Since 6:45. He answered. I’m worried she won’t actually show. How will I find her again?

       James, don’t start worrying now. I said. It’s not even 7:30 yet. If she’s not there by 7:45, then maybe start worrying. If she’s not there by 8, come over.

       He didn’t respond.

       James? How does that sound?

       He sighed. Okay.

       Keep me posted, alright?

       Yeah, thanks.

       He faded and then I realized Alicia was sitting on my bed again, watching me.

       “You have some explaining to do, missy.”

JAMES’ POV

       I sighed again. It was almost 7:45, and despite what Elenor said, I’ve been worried since I got here an hour earlier. I don’t know how I would find my mate again if she doesn’t come tonight. I know nothing about her, where she lives. Kissing Elenor would probably work again, but I am just starting to gain some trust from Dylan, so I don’t want it to come to that.

       I sat down on a log and put my head in my hands. Why? I thought. Why is she running from me? I just don’t understand. It can’t be me, can it? She doesn’t know me… does she? I sighed again, running my hands over my face.

       Think of the positives, I thought. I’ve been doing this for the past hour. I did find my mate. I know that I have one. Her wolf is beautiful. I wonder what she looks like. Brown eyes, I know that. I closed my eyes and brought up the image of her wolf. I tried transforming her into human form, but the human constantly changed, the only constant being the brown eyes. Did she have long, black hair? Short, red hair? Was she tall? Or--

       I sat up and looked around. I felt a presence. Her presence. I stood. I don’t see her anywhere. I tried to pinpoint where she was, but the presence was weak. She is staying just within my reach, just close enough for her to feel me. And she was not moving.

       I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, shaking the bad thoughts from my head. I decided not to let her know that I knew she was there “Where is she?” I said, loud enough for her to hear, wherever she was. I opened my eyes. She was not moving. I kept another sigh from escaping and started pacing. “What if she doesn’t show?” I muttered to myself, still speaking so she could hear. I remembered Elenor suddenly and quickly told her my situation.

       So what are you going to do? She asked.

       I’m not entirely sure. I told her. I’ll try to keep you posted. “How would I find her?” I asked aloud. And my mate was still barely in reach. I sighed and thought. A minute later I thought of something. “I guess I could kiss a different girl again.” I said quieter, but still so she could hear. And that did the trick. I could feel her moving toward me. But not fast enough. “I’d have to really kiss her.” I said. “Just my lips, to her lips.” She was closer. “Lips that don’t belong to--” Her wolf emerged through the bushes. “You.”

       She stared at me.

       “Hello.” I said softly. So beautiful. Her wolf was black, not pitch black like me, but a black, which faded in her feet, so her paws were more of a dark grey. I took a step forward and saw her start to step back. No. I thought. “I’m not going to hurt you.” I then realized that she could hurt me if I approached her, but I’m hoping that would not happen. I slowly moved to stand right in front of her. “Beautiful.” I let out. I saw an emotion flash through those brown eyes, but couldn’t see what it was. I lifted my hand slowly and placed it on the side of her head. “Will you shift so we can talk?”

       She was not responding in any way.

       “I’ll turn around, I won’t look.” I told her. “Please shift so we can talk.” I let my hand fall and took a few steps back, turning so my back faced her. I stood still, using my senses to feel any movement being made. I didn’t want to turn back while she was shifting, but also I didn’t want her to attack. It hurt to think she could do that, but Elenor had the idea planted in my head. Until I knew who my mate really was, I could not be sure. I didn’t hear any movement, and definitely no shifting taking place. I turned slowly and saw her in exactly the same place. I felt a wave of disappointment flash through me, but pushed it away before it could show on my face. “What’s wrong?” My voice came out only slightly louder than a whisper. “Why won’t you shift?”

       I watched her. She continued staring at me for a while before eventually, her eyes glanced down at my chest for a moment before returning back to me.

       It took me a minute, but I figured out what she meant. I felt relief course through me and didn’t bother hiding it. I undid the top few buttons of my shirt, before pulling it over my head. I still wore a white t-shirt and was glad for the undershirt. I wasn’t sure what kind of person she was, and did not want this to be more uncomfortable than it had to be. I gently placed my red button-up on the ground. “Now you’ll shift?” No response. I sighed and turned. “I’m not looking.” Finally, I sensed movement. I was so happy I almost turned around, before remembering she would be completely naked after shifting and that probably would not get me any brownie points. When I felt all movement stop, I spoke again. “I’m turning around.” I turned and there she was. She had long hair, brown but with a red tint to it. She looked pale, but I was unsure if it is natural or because of the current situation. I’m pretty sure my mouth was wide open with the shock of her beauty. She was small, almost a foot shorter than myself and thin, but she had some curves. And of course, seeing my shirt on her made me go crazy. I made some sort of noise and she glanced up at me through her eyelashes, a blush spreading on her face.

       It took me a few minutes to compose myself, and even then, I couldn’t wipe the huge smile from my face. “Thank you.” I said, expressing thanks for many things. “I’m James.” I really wanted to just wrap her in my arms, but she doesn’t exactly look comfortable now and I know I wouldn’t be able to let go. “I’m a part of the Silver Moon pack.”

       She glanced at me.

       “Please don’t be shy.” I plead. “I don’t know anything about you, and I want to know everything.”

       She pulled at the bottom of my shirt she wore. It ended just above her knees. I heard her take in and let out a breath before she spoke. “I’m Abbi.” Her voice stopped my heart, I swear it. I had to really focus to actually hear the words. “I’m in the Dark Crescent pack.”

       Abbi. I closed my eyes for a second. Her being a member of the Dark Crescent pack didn’t tell me much. The name was not familiar, so I know it isn’t a rival pack, which is good. “Why were you running from me?” I asked.

       She hesitated.

       Why’d you start with the difficult question, James? I asked myself. “Okay,” I said. “How about you ask me whatever you want to know and then once you’re comfortable, I have a few questions for you.”

       She nodded and I went over to a log and sat down, motioning for her to sit across from me.

       “Alright. Ask away.”

       “What grade are you in?” She started.

       “I’m a senior this year. I go to school about 2 miles from here.”

       “What’s your rank in the pack?”

       “I don’t rank.” I said. “Although my friend says I could take on our fourth best fighter.” I lifted my arm and flexed, getting a small giggle from her. I smiled and waited for more questions. “What else?”

       She hesitated again.

       “Go ahead and ask it.” Knowing she had something there.

       “Who was that girl?” Her face was tight and I figured she was struggling not to show anger, though some of it slipped through.

       “The girl I ki--?” I stopped seeing the anger slip more. I sighed before answering her question. “She’s my best friend. We have been friends for as long as I can remember. I have also had a crush on her for about that long.” I think Abbi let out a snarl. “We never really acted on it. She didn’t feel the same way and we both wanted our true mates.”

       “What’s her name?” She asked slowly.

       This time I hesitated. “I am not sure that’s a good idea right now.” I said. “You two will meet, probably soon.”

       Her eyes narrowed as she stared at the log next to me.

       “Hey,” I said softly. I waited for her to look up at me. “Let your anger go. She has eyes for only her mate, and I, only you. I did that simply to find you.”

       The anger in her eyes dimmed, but I could sense it still simmering.

       I wanted to sit next to her and comfort her, but I wasn’t sure if she would be okay with that. “Abbi,” I started, and then didn’t continue. Her eyes flashed and she stared at me.

       “Say it again.” She whispered.

       “Abbi.” I complied.

       Her eyes closed, and stayed closed.

       “Will you answer my question now?” I asked. “Why were you running?”

       Her eyes slowly fluttered open and she answered. “I’m a sophomore and I’m 15.”

       What she said didn’t fully register for a while, but once it did, I sat in shock. Three years isn’t a big deal in the long run, but in high school? The three years in age and two-year grade difference seems huge. “That’s okay.” I finally managed.

       She dropped her head to her hands.

       I immediately moved to sit next to her before I even realized what I was doing. I started rubbing her back. “Really, three years is nothing…” I trailed off as the sparks from the contact spread throughout my body. I felt Abbi freeze. I removed my hand from her back, but the sparks still coursed through me. I slid a foot down the log to put some distance between us so I wouldn’t do anything reckless. It was silent. “Tell me you felt it too.”

       I saw her nod, out of the corner of my eye and turned to her. “Definitely felt that, yep.” She said. She turned to look up at me. She opened her mouth to say something and then closed it.

       “What?” I whispered.

       “I can’t commit to that kind of relationship right now.”

       My heart weakened. “What do you mean?” I said. “What kind of relationship?”

       “A, a physical one.”

       Relieved, I gave a nod. “I can understand.” I thought she meant any kind of relationship, really. No sex? I can wait for her. No relationship at all? I can’t even think of what I would do. But when she says physical… “Can we still kiss?”

       I saw her ears turn pink and she mumbled a few words that I couldn’t make out.

       “What was that?”

       “I’ve never kissed someone before.” She said a little clearer.

       I think that was more shocking than her being only fifteen. “What?” I said. “You’ve never been kissed?”

       She gave a slight shake of her head.

       I could tell she wasn’t lying, but how does that happen. She is gorgeous, and though I haven’t known her for long, she seems like a very genuine, kind and caring person. “I’m sorry, do you live under a rock?”

       She glanced up at me again with a confused look.

       “You’re gorgeous.” I told her. “And I can tell you’re a great person. I figured you would have guys crawling at your feet.”

Her cheeks turned pink.

I scooted back next to her. “May I be your first kiss, Abbi?” I asked gently.

She nodded with a small, nervous smile. “I would like that.” She said. “What do I have to do?”

I smiled as well. “Do what you feel is right.” I said. I let one hand slide behind her neck, and used my other to gently tilt her face up to mine, before leaning down slowly and pressing my lips to hers. The sparks were overwhelming. My heart swelled inside my chest. I had to remind myself this was her first kiss, and the kiss was much shorter than I would have liked. I pulled away and looked down at her flushed face.

       “Shit.” She breathed out.

       That word coming from her mouth made me laugh. I smiled down at her and brushed my thumb across her cheek.

       “That was incredible.” She said. “Thank you James, that was better than I ever could have imagined.”

       Her saying my name had my eyes fluttering closed and the hand that was not against her face balling into a fist.

       “James,” She repeated softly, placing her hand on my arm, the one resting on her face. “Thank you.” She rubbed my arm.

       I opened my eyes and stared into her big, brown ones for who-knows-how long until she spoke.

       “I need to get going.” She said, sounding regretful.

       “No,” I complained, standing up as she stood. “Don’t leave.”

She looked up at me. “We both have school tomorrow.” She said. “And my family will probably be wondering where I am.”

“You didn’t tell them?”

She shook her head. “I didn’t tell them where I would be or about you.”

Why wouldn’t she?

“It’s not because I’m ashamed or anything.” She added quickly. “My family… well my family is very protective of me.”

I realized I still didn’t know who Abbi really was. “What is your rank? Your family’s rank?”

She shook her head. “We’re somewhere in the top ten.” She said. “Our Alpha is my dads’ cousin and my brothers are both good fighters.” She sighed. “If I told them where I was going they would follow me. And if I told them who I was meeting, they would demand to meet you.” She explained. “I want to get to know you before they get to you and I don’t want them messing with what you think of me.”

“You’re my mate.” I stated. “What they say wouldn’t change how I think about you.”

She let out a laugh. “But my brothers would hunt you down and intimidate you so next time you’d see me you would be jumpy, like you’d expect them to jump from the bushes.”

“Are they really that bad?”

She gave a shrug. “They mean well.”

“Well, I want to meet them regardless.” I pulled her into my arms and rested my chin on top of her head.

“How about a long time from now.” She muttered.

I pulled back. “I don’t want us to be a secret.” I said.

“We don’t have to be. You can tell all your friends and family, I just… need time with mine.”

“A week.”

“What?”

“I can give you a week, but I don’t want to hide this from anybody.”

“Are you already giving me an ultimatum?” She asked.

“No… yes… I don’t want it to sound like that, no.” I said. “If you don’t, I would still be with you, I just would really like if you told your family about us.” I ran my hand up and down her arm.

She sighed but then nodded confidently. “I’ll do it. I’ll still need this week, but I’ll tell them.”

I smiled. “Thank you.”

“I really do need to get going though.” She took a step away.

“Wait!” I said. “Let me into your head.”

She took my hand again and I could feel the walls around her mind float away and I let her into my mind as well.

I pulled her into my arms and kissed her once more. I saw double fireworks, in my head and hers, before I let her go. “I’ll see you again.”

“Tomorrow.” She said. She took some steps away from me and looked at me.

“What?” I asked.

“Could you turn around?” She turned a bit pink.

“Oh, of course.” I turned as she removed my shirt and shifted.

I felt a nudge and turned around to see her in wolf form in front of me.

I reached out a hand and touched her fur. “Lovely,” I said. “See you tomorrow.” I dropped my hand and watched her leave until I couldn’t make out her form anymore. I picked up my shirt, which still held her scent and started walking back home thinking of my mate, Abbi.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 97.7K 66
Narrowly escaping an attack by wolves, Jaylin Maxwell is driven towards the alluring Quentin Bronx. Together, they unleash the beast inside Jaylin's...