Below the Surface

Od LoveMar_

Gaby had everything at sixteen, a loving mother, her best friend Bella, and her other best friend Liam - some... Více

Prologue: Make a Wish
Chapter Two: Summer Flings
Chapter Three: Holy Sh -
Chapter Four: Dysfunctional System
Chapter Five: Embarrassing First Impressions
Chapter Six: Nicknames Cut Deep
Chapter Seven: Coming After Me
Chapter Eight: Three Years Time
Chapter Nine: Kissing Strangers
Chapter Ten: Here We Go Again
Chapter Eleven: In the Dark
Chapter Twelve: What. How. When. Where. Why...What?
Chapter Thirteen: Rainy Days, a Creepy Pirate, and a Reunion
Chapter Fourteen: The Story of Us
Chapter Fifteen: Playing to Win
Chapter Sixteen: More Like Baby Steps
Chapter Seventeen: What is Normal?
Chapter Eighteen: Fueling Our Relationship
Chapter Nineteen: Holy Abs

Chapter One: Home Sweet Home

119 8 0
Od LoveMar_

Dedicated to JessGirl93 because she's a fabulous writer and I love her story The Bad Boy's Girl she was able to tear my heart apart and then mend it back together. If you love cliche, sappy, happy, love stories with a young man named Cole Stone then I highly suggest you go and read her story. Trust me, you won't regret it. 

Chapter One:

Home Sweet Home

Five Years Later

The scenery in Maui never seemed to get old when I was younger, but now that I fly back and forth from the peacefulness of the small town of Lahaina to the populated city of Honolulu from time to time to go back to school, has some how become unappealing. However, for the first time in three years, as I'm coming back home, I can't help but have a good feeling about this summer. After picking me up from the airport, Bella drives us back to our house. It's a forty-five to an hour drive in which I knock out until Bella jerks the car to a stop in front of our little house in front of the beach. Bella's parents were kind enough to buy us this tiny, little shack for our twentieth birthday, and we couldn't have been more grateful.  It's simple yet beautiful, and with the beach as our front yard, you can say it's perfect. I step out of her rusty blue truck and take a look at the one-floor house standing before me, with the light green wooden boards, a brown roof, and a light faded yellow door. Home sweet home. 

I'm sitting behind the counter of our small kitchen with wooden cabinets, and old looking appliances such as the stove, oven, and sink. The only thing shiny and new would be our stainless steel refrigerator and dishwasher, our prize possessions. While Bella is preparing to cook God knows what, I watch her carefully with my chin resting on my hand wondering if something is different with her. 

"Ah!" Bella backs away after the fire from the stove backfires at her and I throw my head back laughing. 

"I see you've been doing just fine without my cooking." I comment with a smile on my face and she laughs along while toning down the flame. I tap my fingers on my face softly, Bella is never one to have a dramatic change but this time, right now she looks oddly different. She's still 5'6 with a toned tan body and with light wavy hair - 

I open my mouth before even thinking, "Did you cut your hair?"

She whips her head to face me and her bright, ocean eyes widen within seconds along with her smile, "I did." she exclaims and holds both of her hands to her head, "Do you like it?" I sit up and take a good look at he. She did cut her hair. 

Her hair used to be long, wavy, and blonde, but now it's just a couple inches below her shoulders unlike my long, curly dirty blonde hair that is floating over the middle of my stomach. 

"Yeah, in fact I do like it. You look very sophisticated." I wag my eyebrows at her and pop a grape into my mouth. "But when you go into the water and you transform –"

"Actually I don't know. I haven't tried it yet. I got it cut today. So I was thinking after lunch we can go for a swim." She sends me a playful wink.

I exhale a light laugh and lean back in my chair, "Of course, I haven't had a good swim in a while." And it's true, I really haven't had a good swim because it's hard being a mermaid when you live in a city where it is always crowded and there is never a secluded area on the beach. Bella grins and just as she is about to go back to her cooking she looks at me.

"Are you alright?" she asks and I raise an eyebrow at her.

"Yeah...? Why?" 

"I don't know...you seem a bit gloomy." 

"I'm fine Bella." I assure her.

"Yeah...that's what they all say." She holds out her spatula at me. 

I roll my eyes and bat away the spatula, "I'm probably gloomy because I just finished my finals, there was a crying baby on my flight, and the traffic was a killer. I am exhausted and hungry, and you are taking forever!" I exasperate as I gesture towards the uncooked food in front of me. "By the way, what are you cooking?" I peer over the counter and into the pot. 

"Nothing! It's a surprise!" she exclaims blocking my view. She stirs and then glances at me, "Are you sure?" I give Bella a pointed look and stand up and stretch my sore muscles and take an apple from the fridge. 

"As positive as how slow you are cooking lunch, Bells." I tell her taking a bite out of my apple. She rolls her eyes and continues cooking lunch. Having our first bicker of the day, I can't help but smile; now I feel exactly at home. 

Setting our pack of clothing on the ground I strip off my baggy shirt and toss it to the ground, leaving me only in one of my old swimsuits. I bury my feet into the cool sand and take in the salty night air. I glance back at Bella who is taking her sweet time getting ready to dive into the water. 

"Just give me a –"

"Too late! I'll meet you at Molokini!" I shout and I dash off across the sand, but as soon as I see the tide pulling in on the shore I stop abruptly. Here we go again; I take a deep breath and step into the water. The water feels lovely at this time of hour and after taking a few more steps I dive into the water. Within seconds, my legs conjoin together into a scaly tail. A smile appears on my face, the feeling of transforming back into a mermaid after a long time is like taking off your bra after a really long day. I start swimming towards the Molokini crater where Bella and I usually hangout because no one is around at this time , which means no hiding. With long and fast strokes, I make it to Molokini in fifteen minutes tops. I pop my head up from the water to have droplets of water drip down my face; I peer around the beach to see if there are any secluded spots away from the resorted areas. Finding the perfect spot, I dive back down to the dark water and swim towards the beach. I lift myself onto a rock and rest while I wait for Bella to arrive. 

"For a champion swimmer, you are quite slow." I turn around to see Bella lying on a rock a bit taller than mine. 

"Yeah, well, you're hair grew back." I point out as a lame comeback, but when she grimaces, a smile makes its way onto my face.

"Shut up!" she whines as she runs her hands through her long hair. Her hair reaches down pass her waist and below her tail line. I look away and out into the dark horizon filled with twinkling stars. 

After a moment of comfortable silence, I take a deep breath and start a conversation. "So how have you been?" I turn to face her by lying on my stomach; I feel the spine of my tail rise up from being pressed against the rock. 

"Oh you know, I've been going back and forth from home to work and I've been hanging with Rita." 

My eyebrows raise expectantly, "Wow...! You and Rita? Even after junior year?" during junior year before we transformed into mermaids and when Bella was still on the surf team, the two had this rivalry even though they were on the same team, and it turned into a disaster when Bella had to quit the team and Rita took her spot as captain. 

She sighs, but has a faint smile on her face, "Yeah...she's not that bad..." I smile at her newfound friend, because since I've been away for college for the past three years I always worry about her and her social life. After high school she left her popularity behind and kept her friendship circles small which revolves around her boyfriend and me. 

"Have you heard from Jay?" I ask. Jay is her boyfriend of three years, who is one of my good and only friends in Honolulu. Although we go to the same university, that isn't stopping me from leaving a day early from finals week. 

She hums to herself before turning her head to me, "I spoke to him this morning, he said he'll be coming in tomorrow morning and then he'll meet us up back home. I nod my head and start humming to myself.

"That's good." I say absentmindedly as I stare off into the dark ocean. "How 'bout your brothers?" By brothers, I mean all of her six older brothers that are now scattered across the islands of Hawaii except for one of the middle child's who now lives somewhere in Baltimore, Maryland for some unknown reason. 

She perks up at this question and smiles widely, "They're all great, they actually came to visit for spring break!" 

"Gosh, I haven't seen them since - what, winter break? I hate to admit it, but I miss those crazy brothers of yours." Growing up as an only child, I had Bella and her six obnoxious brothers as siblings. Our parents met during during labor and soon became best friends leading Bella and I to become best friends. Twenty-one years later and I still don't have the urge to murder her in her sleep, she knows too much. 

She gives me a sad pout, "They won't be visiting this summer! Apparently school, work, and family is more important than seeing their one and only sister!" she exclaims and I bark out laughing.

"Aw, I was really hoping to see them." Now I pout, "Don't worry, next summer for sure." 

Fortunately for Bella, when we dried up and returned back to our legs, Bella's hair turned back to the way she had cut it. When we arrive back home, Bella goes straight to the TV and searches for a movie. 

"I'll order the pizza!" I call out cheerfully as I head towards my room to get my phone. I drop my bag and grab my phone, but right as I'm about to call for the delivery, I notice a new message. A message from Ricky, a fling that has become more of an attachment to me. 

 R u home yet? Party 2nite at my place. I miss ur sexy ass. 

I heave a sigh and bite my lip. I look back down at the message and toy my thumbs over the screen. Yes? No? I glance at the time and it's only eight-thirty. That's enough time to watch a movie with Bella and then head straight for the party. I call and order the pizza and head over to the living room where Bella is pouring popcorn into a bowl. 

"The pizza should be here in a few minutes." I round over the kitchen counter.

"Great. I picked some cheesy romantic comedy on Netflix - " 

"And I'm going to a party later." I blurt out wincing at how blunt I was. 

"That's cool." She says casually gliding the bowl of popcorn towards me.

"Want to come?" I ask hopefully.

"I'm good. I have work tomorrow." She smiles at me as casually as she can and makes her way over to the couch. I slowly turn around while internally cursing to myself. I know it's not because of work but because she just doesn't like to party anymore.

"I can stay if you want?" I furrow my eyebrows together.

"Nope, don't worry about me. Go and have fun." She says and I sigh and I'm about to flop onto the couch when the doorbell rings. I rise back up from my kneeling position and swing the door open. 

"Aloha," the young delivery guy greets with a smile on his face.

"Aloha," I smile and take out money from my wallet. 

"One medium pepperoni pizza with pineapple and mushrooms on top."

"Yes, mahalo." I thank him and take the pizza from him. 

"'A 'ole pilikia. Aloha." He tells me you're welcome and goodnight. I smile and close the door. 

"Becoming rusty on your hawaiian expressions I see." Bella smirks as she twirls her hair around her finger. 

"Ha-ha, play the movie." I make myself comfortable on the couch and take a glance at Bella who chews away at her slice. A smile creeps on my face and I return to the TV. Home sweet home, indeed. 

When the movie is over, I stretch around the couch alongside Bella. She rises onto her feet and begins to clean up while I continue to stretch my stiff muscles. 

"Well, you better get going. Will I see you tomorrow morning? We'll have to pick up Jay." 

"Yup. Yup. I'll be here. I'll probably come back later tonight." I tell her and head off to my room for a change of clothes. I end up wearing some light washed jean shorts with a navy, cropped, frilly top. I slip on some casual flip flops and make my way out with Bella behind me. "Well, I'll see you later." I turn around and pull her into a tight loving hug. 

"Oh, I've missed you so much." She says rocking us side to side, "I'm glad you're back, have fun." She pulls away with a smile on her face. I give her one more smile and head out the door, but not before she pokes her head outside, "Stay safe." She adds, with more than one meaning, one in which causes me to smirk. 

I shift on my toes to face her as I walk backwards, "Aren't I always?" through the faint lighting outside our front porch I see her glaring at me. "It's summer Bells, I'm here to have fun." I turn back around and head for the party. Let summer begin.

The pounding in my head starts before I'm awake. I shut my eyes tightly before opening them and I bury my head under the pillow, I then groan out loud from the sickening feeling churning in my stomach. A large hand is then placed on my bareback; then it slowly makes its way down to my bare bum and gives it a big squeeze causing me to slightly jump from out of the covers. Despite the headache, I giggle and turn my head to the other side to see a very naked, tan, muscular body beside me; his head is also buried under the pillow with dark blue sheets covering his lower body. Suddenly, his hand starts soothing my back softly that my eyes close again and I bury myself deeper into the bed. As I drift back to sleep, I remember something important, Bella and Jay. My body jerks up and I whip my head everywhere to see the time.

"Shit!" I exclaim in a sharp gasp as I see that it is exactly two in the afternoon. How can it be this late in the day already? I throw myself out of the bed almost tripping on my own two feet and start gathering all the clothing  I can find on the floor. My head is ringing as I'm putting on my shorts and then tossing on what I think is my tank top. 

There is a deep groan behind me, "Where you going in such a hurry?" I turn around and suck in a deep breath when I see the view in front of me. Maybe it's the way he is positioned in the bed, the way he is now lying on his back with his tan arms resting behind his head and his exposed torso peeking just above the blankets. I mentally groan and have an internal debate on whether I should stay and go for round two, or leave before Bella comes to hunt me down. I smack my lips together; I better go before Bella hunts me down. 

"Sorry babe, but I am needed back home." I check the room one last time before making my way outside the room. He groans out loud and I shift my body so it's pressed against the closed door and I smile to see his brown eyes looking at me from across the room. 

"Just stay, what could be more important?" 

I roll my eyes carelessly and open the door, "Bye Ricky." 

I race back home in hopes that somehow, maybe I'll be able to catch Bella in time to pick up Jay, but the house is empty except for the bright pink post it note on the fridge. I pick it out and read Bella's curly handwriting.

 No worries, this will give me a chance to be alone with my man. ;)

My lips quirk into a smile and I toss the note onto the counter as I gulp down a glass of water. I take this chance to eat an easy brunch and unpack my things. Although after a good hour or two has passed, I begin to wonder if they went for lunch without me. I'm rereading The Fault in Our Stars for the third time to prepare myself for the movie premiere in three weeks when the front door opens. I slowly glance up from the book and see Bella hulling a big suitcase. But the suitcase isn't what catches my attention. It's Bella's disheveled hair, clothes, swollen lips, and not to mention the spots on her necks.

"You look nice." I point out casually, "I'm glad you guys had lunch without me." I snicker.

"Gaby!" Bella exclaims, eyes widening and cheeks reddening. She drops the suitcase and I throw my head back laughing. 

"It was more like breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert." Jay pops in.

"Jay!" Bella cries embarrassed.

"I don't need anymore information!" I holler covering my ears. Now Jay is a cool guy, in a very goofy way, which is weird because you don't find a lot of guys like that. Everyone knows and loves him. I met Jay in college our freshman year in a biology class and we became good friends, practically my only real good friend. His skin is a perfect dark tan color from being out in the sun all day and although his eyes look like a shade of brown they're actually a very deep sapphire, and to top it off, a patch of short brown hair that he grooms often for a casual look. 

"So Gabs, I'm pretty sure I killed that kinesiology final." Jay mentions as he walks into the kitchen and pours fresh pineapple juice into a glass. I sit up ecstatic from the news. 

"That's great!" I jump onto my feet and meet him in the kitchen where I hop onto the counter. "We're going to be one of the best athletic trainers in Lahinaluna." Jay and I give each other an enthusiastic high-five. 

Bella walks into the kitchen giving us a bright smile. "Shall we go get lunch?" 

"I don't know, are you guys still hungry?" I tease earning a glare from Bella and a chuckle from Jay who looks at Bella deeply and rests his on top of hers entangling his fingers with hers. "All jokes aside, I am starving. Let's go."

"Lahaina Grill?" Bella offers restaurant options. 

"Yes!" Jay and I exclaim together popping up from our casual stance, although it's tourist season that's not going to stop me from eating there. We're heading out the door when Bella fits herself in-between us and slings her arms around our shoulders.

"Oh, I'm so glad to have my two favorite humans are with me again." She gushes and I wrap my arm around her shoulder and face her.

"It's good to be back." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you liked it xx

Love,

Mar

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

1.1M 62.5K 53
"For a place called Paradise City, this island sucks. I don't think a single day has gone by that I haven't thought about stabbing the shit out of my...
146 36 18
Kacee and kaela love the water. So what happens when they meet two annoying boys. Kacee loves water almost as much as she loves her best friend kae...
33.3K 516 31
Kai and Kalani are both best friends, and surfers. They have lived their whole lives in Oahu, Hawaii. You can always find Kai and Kalani on the beach...
7.5K 435 23
Akira is an orphan who lives with her best friend, Lucas. Her parents died when she was 8 years old so Lucas's parents took her and cared for her. Sh...