The Unknown Alchemist

By Zephomix

Avery had lived alone in the Cabin her entire life; she just didn't know how long that was. Her only comfort:... More

Little Cabin in the Big Woods
Chapter 2 - He wakes
Chapter 3-Time is Relative
Chapter 4-What books?
Chapter 5 - The Sapien
Chapter 6 - I just 'am'
Chapter 7 - Bedtime stories
Chapter 8 - The Laws of Physics
Chapter 9 - Run
Chapter 11 - We are his family
Chapter 13 - Broken Things
Chapter 14 - Back from the dead
Chapter 15 - The Journal
Chapter 16 - Triggers
Chapter 17 - Welcome to Corinth
Chapter 18 - Privacy
Chapter 19 - Not all those who wander are lost
Chapter 20 - The Stairs
Chapter 21 - The Fire Festival
Chapter 22 - Training
Chapter 23 - Whose side are you on?
Chapter 24 - The Lady Avery
Chapter 25 - Blast it
Chapter 26 - Accidents happen
Chapter 27 - Love who you love
Chapter 28 - Bridges
Chapter 29 - The Training Camp
Chapter 30 - Girl in the war
Chapter 31 - To Battle
Chapter 32 - The Crone
Chapter 33 - Instincts
Chapter 34 - You have magic
Chapter 35 - What am I?
Chapter 36 - Timeless Age
Chapter 37 - Terraly
Chapter 38 - Blossom Ball
Chapter 39 - Ferrik
Chapter 40 - Where were you?
Chapter 42 - It's just a fox
Chapter 43 - Let us love you
Chapter 44 - The Library
Chapter 40 - Let it Rain
Chapter 41 - Where the ocean meets the sky
Chapter 42 - I can't look at the stars
Chapter 43 - Nightmares
Chapter 44 - The Trial
Chapter 45 - I want you to stay
Chapter 46 - They make me wonder where you are
Chapter 47 - Two

Chapter 12 - The human girl

375 20 0
By Zephomix

The late summer sun shone in through the floor-to-ceiling windows of the room where they had placed the human girl. Adelyn brought in a basin of fresh water and set it down on the table. Next to the bed Sari slouched in her chair, exhausted from her all-night vigil. She stood and straightened her back with a groan as Adelyn opened the window to let in some fresh air.

"I don't know how they do it" Sari said to the ceiling.

"They?" asked Adelyn.

"Humans." Sari clarified. "They're so fragile, I don't know how their species has avoided extinction. I mean, is she even fighting? I think she's getting worse."

Adelyn pursed her lips and reached down to feel the girl's brow. Her skin was burning but her heart was strong and she could feel the life flowing through her.

"I don't know. I think if she has lived through what these scars tell us, she might be just resting now," Adelyn offered. "We should lift her and change that dressing on her shoulder."

Sari sighed and came around the bed while Adelyn pulled back the covers. They placed their hands on her the girl's torso and gently rolled her to her side, exposing her back and shoulders. The girl groaned slightly and her eyes fluttered, but Sari and Adelyn were fixated on the scars that criss-crossed back and forth with a fresh red slash across the top.

The girl moaned again and tried to lift her head.

"Hey there. It's okay, we've got you now," Adelyn reassured her.

The girl blinked and tried to focus on the room, confused and in pain. Sari worked quickly at cleaning the Mnopetera sting while Adelyn murmured in hushed tones and tried to get the girl to drink some water. There was a soft knock on the door and Dellane entered the room.

"I found the herb Petra wanted. It took some doing but a merchant down by the wharf had some in a jar." He set the packet down on the table. "Here, let me help you."

Dellane came up to the bed and reached over to hold the girl's shoulder so Adelyn could lift her head and put the cup to her lips.

At his touch the girl jerked violently and let out a scream, pushing their hands away. Twisting out of their reach she rolled into Sari and let out another scream of terror. Both females reached out to hold the girl still and calm her down.

"Hush now! Lie still. You'll make it worse!" Adelyn urged.

"No! No, please. Don't! Get away, get away! Don't!"

The girl sobbed and tried to break free but she was so weak it wasn't hard for the sapiens to hold her to the bed. Adelyn looked pleadingly between Dellane and Sari, but none of them had any idea what was upsetting the girl.

Hayden rushed into the room. "What's going on?"

"I have no idea," said Dellane. "I just walked in and put the package down and she looked at me and started screaming."

Hayden looked from the vet to the struggling girl.

From the bed, Adelyn called over her shoulder to her brother and Dellane, "Maybe you should go," and shot them a look that had the males quickly backing out.

The human gradually quieted down as sleep overtook her. The tears had stained the pillow, along with fresh blood where her wounds had opened again.

Adelyn looked at Sari and shook her head slightly, "What is her story?"

***********************

Sari collapsed on her bed, not bothering to undress. Roedin's miraculous return had sent the pack into upheaval though nothing could really be done until he regained consciousness. Hayden and Adelyn were immediately pulled into meetings with the primes to discuss any potential threat in the territory. Arctos had doubled the city guard and was demanding hourly reports. Niamh was trying to activate Roedin's spy network to dig up information on who had attacked him.

Someone had seen the surgeon and vet rush through the city and into the house. Rumours had quickly spread that someone in the alpha pack was severely injured. Sari had spent the day turning away a steady stream of visitors but the flowers and gifts had piled up in the foyer. It wasn't until she spotted a sympathy card in the shape of a pair of bat wings that she knew word had leaked that Roedin was back, not dead after all.

Sari had married into the alpha family and so had few political responsibilities herself. She helped with some council matters and but generally provided support for the alpha prime twins as they tried to fill the impossibly large shoes their mother had left. So while the siblings were dealing with the governing of the city, Sari made the care of the mysterious human her own responsibility. She had never met a human before and in between changing the dressings and trying to keep the fever under control, she read all the books they could find on human anatomy and culture. For days on end Sari sat by the lamp reading to keep herself awake, one watchful eye trained on the girl and the other trained on the page.

The smallest part of her felt guilty for not learning more about humans. It had been a brief topic in school, mostly buried in history lectures or as a footnote in a textbook. After the Tidal Wars between sapiens and faunids, the humans had faded from society. Common Law gave them basic rights and preserves were set up where they could live in peace. But to the average citizen of Corinth, or any sapien city for that matter, the humans were invisible. Something you never really thought of.

After several days and nights of watching over of the girl, Adelyn had ordered Sari to bed and took over the role of trying to keep the human alive.

Sari's profound exhaustion was probably what triggered the dreamwalk. Dreamwalking was considered a rare gift or an ugly curse, depending on who was wielding it. Uncontrolled, it could drive a person mad. Dreams were a realm of fantasy and terror and without the skill to navigate carefully, Dreamwalkers often confused reality with fiction. When Sari had come to Corinth from her village she had been headed down that dark road. Sari had studied for a century under powerful sorcerers to bring her skill under control, but still her mind could wander off if she wasn't strong enough to stop it.

Like tonight.

Tonight the stress of Roedin's condition and the tension in the house weighed her down enough that her sleepy mind followed its natural curiosity to the human girl fighting for her life down the hall.

Sari's mind slammed into a wall of flesh and spikes. She yelped and bounced back, stunned that something had blocked her way into the dream. In front of her was a tangle of vines, twisting slowly like a flowing river. Here and there the vines would part and Sari could see flashes of images on the other side. She ducked her head trying to see through and reached up to grab a vine and pull it aside. A thorn pricked her hand and she gasped and drew her hand back quickly.

"I wouldn't do that," warned a small voice behind her.

Sari spun and took in the sight of a lush forest with a simple cabin in a small clearing. Smoke rose from the chimney and a pile of neatly stacked firewood was off to the side. On the steps of the porch sat a human child. She had on a light blue sundress and long red-brown hair framed her face. Her grass-stained feet were bare and on her lap sat a fox curled up in a ball. She stroked the fox, unafraid as Sari approached.

"Who are you?" asked Sari.

"Who am I? Who are you?" the little girl retorted. "Who are any of us, really? Who we are is only relevant in context with others. For it is our actions that define us, and for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." She smiled down at the fox and scratched behind its ears.

Sari furrowed her brow at the nonsensical answer and tried a different approach. "Do you live here?"

"I do not live, because I do not die. I just, am."

Sari wondered if all human minds were so cryptic. The child spoke in riddles like a philosopher. Sari turned back to the vines and drew a sword. Perhaps she could cut away at the plant to push through.

"You shouldn't be here, you know. It's not safe," cautioned the child.

"What's behind there? What are you hiding?" demanded Sari. The girl looked forlorn as she stared past Sari's shoulder to the wall of vines.

"I wish I knew. I've been trying to find out for...a long time. It must be important. I hope it's important because it's very prickly. It would be such a shame to finally break through and find it was nothing interesting at all."

Sari swung at the vine but barely made a dent. She cut off a branch and another one grew in its place immediately. The girl suddenly appeared at her side.

"I'm Avery," she said. "This is my cabin. This is the fox. I never named him. I should have given him a name. I think the fox dead now. Dead with no name. He killed him. He kills everything. Hurts everything he touches."

"Who kills everything? Where is this place?" shouted Sari.

Avery gave her a funny look. "This is my mind," she said as though Sari was an idiot. Then she grew serious. "This is my mind and you shouldn't be here. It's not safe."

At that a vine whipped out from the wall and latched on to Sari's sword arm. The sapien screamed as the thorns dug into her flesh. Another vine grabbed her ankle and pulled her off her feet. Her body slammed to the ground knocking the wind out of her. She reached for her sword with the other hand to hack off the vines that were now dragging her toward the wall. More vines lashed out and wrapped around her.

Sari screamed as the thorns dug in and the vines began to strangle her. She was panicking and thrashing. A flash blinded her, and then utter darkness enveloped her. She felt strong hands reach under her arms and pull her out.

Sari lay on the bedroom floor gasping for breath. She clawed at her neck as though the vines were still there. Hayden put both hands to her face and held her still.

"Sari! Sari! Look at me! You're out." He held her face in his hands, forcing her to make eye contact. She was panting heavily trying to catch her breath and her head spun as she tried to comprehend what had happened.

"This human is not what she seems," she breathed.

"Sari! What were you thinking? Why would you go in there?"

"It was an accident, I didn't mean to! But once I was there I tried to get some answers!"

Hayden sighed and placed his forehead on his wife's, holding her tightly to him. "I couldn't wake you, you were in so deep."

"It was terrifying. I've never encountered a dream-shield that could attack you. She has been trained by a powerful sorcerer. How can a human having such a skill?"

Hayden's sank to the floor next to Sari. "I don't know if it matters. Petra doesn't think the herb is working...her chances of survival are slim."

Sari leaned into her husband's body and rested her head on his shoulder. "Her name is Avery."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 423 41
After Saron's battle with dark magic, she's trapped within her own mind. She returns from the dead but something has changed. Is she strong enough to...
2.2K 125 59
Prologue She leads a simple life and is unaware of her great abilities or the existence of the supernatural world. She finds herself drawn to two cha...
212 0 22
story of a boy's journey to his untold life of wizardry. story about friends, family and enemy. John was a prince of their kingdom who were hidden...
1.3K 86 29
Book One Ava wants to be like her father and be a knight but is seen as a weak female, Layla wants to follow her in her families' footsteps and be a...