Two Sides of the Same Coin |...

By alexaveil

If you lived in Gotham long enough you knew exactly who she was. People feared her. Criminals praised her. He... More

Chapter Zero | The Cast
Chapter One | The Heist
Chapter Two | The Meeting
Chapter Three | The Party
Chapter Four | The Interrogation
Chapter Five | The Capture
Chapter Six | The Escape
Chapter Seven | The Deal
Chapter Eight | The Call
Chapter Nine | The Hunt
Chapter Ten | The Chat
Chapter Eleven | The Secret
Chapter Twelve | The Week
Chapter Thirteen | The Cave
Chapter Fourteen | The Reveal
Chapter Fifteen | The Beginning
Chapter Sixteen | The Team
Chapter Seventeen | The Test
Chapter Eighteen | The Secret
Chapter Twenty | The Chance
Chapter Twenty One | The Babysitter
Chapter Twenty Two | The Save
Chapter Twenty Three | The Score
Chapter Twenty Four | The Club
Chapter Twenty Five | The Homefront
Chapter Twenty Six | The Farm
Chapter Twenty Seven | The Game
Note

Chapter Nineteen | The Mission

8.5K 387 130
By alexaveil

"WHAT DID YOU just say?"

A shit-eating grin spread across his face, pearly whites shining mischievously and I could practically feel those stupid blue eyes gleaming arrogantly.

I couldn't find it in myself to copy him.

I had idiotically fallen from my confident stance— I didn't need a mirror to know that the definition of shock was written all over my face.

"What did you just say?" I repeated, this time in a low whisper, with what I'm not entirely sure was just fake confusion anymore.

"I said—"

"C'mon, Kal! I said I was sorry!" a voice suddenly cried from behind us. "Not my fault Supes can't take a joke!"

The sound of cracking knuckles rang through the hall followed by a sigh soon after.

I didn't bother turning around. After all, it didn't take being the World's Greatest Detective to put two and two together. Instead, I kept my eyes trained on the boy in front of me. For once in my life, I genuinely had no idea what to say. If he knows, does that mean the whole team knows? Does the League know? Does Bats know? Oh man, Selina's going to kill me if Batman finds out her identity!

"Blackout," the deep voice of Squidkid—apparently Kal, now— came from behind, "I see you've officially met Robin."

"Yeah," I breathed out, not bothering to turn around, "I did."

The youngest of the boys turned his grin towards their, well, our leader. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Squidkid raise a questioning brow, but opted to say nothing.

"Team, report to the mission room for mandatory training."

We all paused, glancing up towards the speaker where the voice of Bats had just come out of. Squidkid's shoulders relaxed, almost as if he was happier to train than to deal with Superclone and Kid Idiot. We began to walk back towards the main room, Kid staying dangerously close to Squidkid while Superboy stalked behind them doing all but burning lasers into the speedsters head.

Dick— Robin— Boy Blunder?— honestly at this point I really had no idea where we stood in terms of names— and I trailed a few feet behind them. "You know," he started in a hushed tone, "I'll give credit where credit is due: you really had me fooled at Lex's gala. I didn't realize acting and killing went hand in hand."

I rolled my eyes for what felt like the umpteenth time. "Quit it with the niceties— lets cut to the chase. How did you know about the simulation?"

"Um, hello? I'm a detective?" he stated as if that answered my question.

"I wasn't aware that detectives in training got access to big League stuff."

"They don't," he snickered, "but hackers in training do."

"So you're actually admitting to me that you went behinds Bats' back?"

He scoffed. "What are you gonna do? Tell him? You seem to be forgetting the small part of this conversation where I know who you are."

"Wait," I grabbed his forearm and stopped both of us mid-walk, "Bats doesn't know?"

"Not as far as I'm concerned. But he is Batman, so I wouldn't exactly be surprised if it turns out he knew from the beginning," he said pointedly.

My eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. "So, assuming he doesn't know, how did you find out?"

He stared at me as if the answer was obvious before jabbing his thumb into his chest. "Hacker in training, remember? And you should really put a password on your phone before showing up at my house."

My mouth fell open as I watched him continue on the walk down the hall. How long had he known?!

Shaking the thought from my head, I jogged until I reached the entrance of the main room. Dick (if he wants to play the first name game, I can play too) was nowhere to be seen, while Squidkid and Superclone were standing in the center of a big white ring on the floor which I assumed was a training pad of sorts. And judging by the sound of rapid rummaging coming from the kitchen, Kid had just gotten hungry.

Suddenly the sound of giggling reached my ears, and I turned towards the opposite end of the blue circle to find Green Girl and Archery Chick chatting quietly amongst themselves.

Perfect! Not too much work, but also some time to annoy Blondie. That's a win-win in my book.

With a flip of my hair, I sauntered over towards the two females, making sure my heels were clicking on the floor just a little louder than usual. "Hey ladies," I greeted, a sardonic smile gracing my lips.

Upon seeing who I was, Greenie's eyes lit up and she happily clasped her hands in front of her chest. "Blackout! Hi!"

I humored her, flashing a small grin her way before glancing at Archery Girl. She had a taut look on her face— arms crossed unamusedly as if she was doing all but strangling me (and even that's a stretch, considering she was probably doing it in her mind, anyway.)

"How are you enjoying the base?" Greenie asked cheerily.

"Good, good," I waved her off, barely paying any attention as I shifted my weight onto one leg and put a hand on my hip. "So, what are we all giggly about over here? Did Blondie finally discover the wonders of hair gel?"

Said girl ungracefully snorted. "The pot's calling the kettle black."

I frowned, patting down the ends of my hair. "You can thank our resident speedster for that. This wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I thought 'wind-blown' this morning."

"He's actually what we were just talking about!" Greenie giggled, a hand slightly covering her mouth as a starry-eyed expression crossed her face, "I was saying how he and Artemis would make the cutest couple! She's just so full of passion, and he's just so full of... um..."

"It?" I offered, glancing towards the direction of the kitchen where said speedster had just walked out with a sandwich piled higher than his head.

There was a moment of silence before all of us chuckled lightly. Blondie suddenly stopped, as if finally realizing who told the joke. She glared at me. "This still doesn't mean I like you. At all."

"Never doubted it," I teased as the sound of fighting reached my ears. All three of us turned towards the center of the room where Supes and Squidkid had begun to spar. I rose an eyebrow, not taking my eyes off of them.

"So, what can you tell me about Squidkid?"

There was a happy squeal from the Martian. "I knew it! You totally like him, don't you?"

"Like him?" I scoffed, turning back around, "who said anything about that? I just think he's not as annoying as the rest of you."

Blondie rolled her eyes, a small smirk on her lips. "Well, it wouldn't matter even if she did, anyway. You know, since she and Robin have their whole 'thing' going on."

"You guys are so adorable," the Martian agreed.

Archery Girl actually had the audacity to snicker as my mouth fell open. "Adorable? I am not 'adorable!' And especially not me and Boy Blunder, much less Squidkid."

"Well," Blondie continued, amusement clearly present in her voice, "to answer your original question, Aqualad is a good leader and an even better hero. He would never go for someone like you."

"What? Skilled, witty, with movie-star good looks and a charming personality? He must not have very good taste then."

"No, a dangerous criminal with a body count bigger than her ego."

"Careful, Blondie, or that number might get one higher very soon."

"Oh, you—!"

"Fail: Aqualad," the computerized voice interrupted.

I turned back to see Superboy brushing his hands together and Squidkid on the floor.

"Black Canary taught me that," the clone grinned, before offering the leader a hand which he gladly took.

"Batman, 0-2," the feminine voice announced again.

Kid Bottomless-Pit (appropriate, seeing the massive sandwich he had held only moments ago was now gone) grinned, running towards the Caped Crusader before skidding to a stop. "Please tell me you have a mission for us! I've been itching to get my hands on some bad guys."

Many holo-screens popped up around Bats as the rest of the team crowded around him.

"Sweet!" Kid fist-pumped the air.

"Matthew Hagen," he began in his typical 'strike fear into the hearts of my enemies' voice, "Otherwise known as Clayface. He's suspected to be behind a series of bank robberies in Gotham City, but his motives are unknown..."

I drowned out the rest of the briefing, already knowing where it was going as well as the "unknown" motives. It was safe to say that I've had my fair share of run-ins with the mud monster, who honestly was not all that bad (keep in mind, I use that term very loosely) once you got to know him.

"...your assignment is strictly reconnaissance only. Track down Clayface but do not engage until the League has come up with a solution."

"Understood, Batman," Squidkid spoke up, "Miss Martian, please prepare the Bioship for Gotham City. The rest of you, be ready in five minutes for departure."

Everyone started to file out of the room, leaving only me and Bats. I crossed my arms, smirking as I caught his attention.

"Any particular reason you decided to have my first mission as a Justice Baby in your city?" I questioned. "I would say it's a coincidence, but you and I both know that nothing's ever just a coincidence."

He began to type something on one of the many screens, keeping his back towards me. "Clayface is a threat which needs to be neutralized. Being in Gotham was not intentional."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't play coy with me, save that for Cat. From what I've heard, Clayface is hardly your biggest concern right now. This is nothing more than a distraction, maybe a test of my allegiance at best. But since you're oh-so keen on being pissy about me here, I guess I just won't tell you what I know about Clay's motives."

His head turned in my direction, apparently finding a sudden interest in what I was saying.

"After all, you are the World's Greatest Detective. Surely you'll figure it out eventually, no?"

Miss Martian floated back into the room, thankfully preventing whatever consequences I was about to receive, judging by the look on Bats' face.

"Bioship is ready at the loading dock," she announced before noticing that I was the only one in the room. "Blackout, are you ready for your first mission?"

"Thrilled," I said in mock excitement.

She gave me a soft smile. I rose an eyebrow. Was that pity?

"I know the team may be a little... wary of you," she began quietly, floating down in front of me, "but I promise they're just being cautious. So don't feel bad!"

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. "I don't like any of you, you understand that, right?"

Her face fell as the rest of the team began to walk back into the room in their suits, my attention immediately diverting to them.

"Miss Martian, is the bioship ready for departure?" Squidkid questioned as he grabbed the two handle-thing-y's? from behind his back and transformed them into glowing blue swords. The bands wrapped around his arms glowed the same brilliant color and crackled with electricity as he performed a few test-slashes on an invisible enemy.

"Yup, she's good to go!" Greenie confirmed.

"Remember, this mission is reconnaissance only," Bats' deep voice boomed around the large room, "report back to the base at O-one hundred hours no matter what. Dismissed."

With a flourish of his cape which nearly made me roll my eyes (like, seriously? And they call me the drama queen?) he headed towards the zeta tubes as the team began to walk to the hangar. It was mostly silent as I followed them, minus the tapping of Rob— Dick on his watch. Suddenly there was a bright yellow figure beside me.

"So, Beautiful, you ready for your first mission with the big boys?" Kid Mouth asked.

He started to put his hand on my shoulder when I flashed a glare in his direction.

"Let me ask you a question, do you like that hand?"

His arm froze, and then slowly dropped to his side.

I smirked.

"That's what I thought."

There was an ungraceful snort from beside me. I turned my head to find Archery Girl and rose an eyebrow.

"I may not like you," she began with amusement, "but that was pretty good."

I shrugged off the compliment. "I'm a Gotham kid; you get used to catcalls from morons."

She scoffed. "Tell me about it."

As we approached the so-called "bioship" the team slowly began to board the red plane. I filed in behind Superclone as I took in the metallic interior. It was spacey (pun absolutely intended) with a massive window surrounding the whole cabin and many seats placed around the circular interior.

"Oh, oh, I call shotgun!" I called as I darted towards the seat right in the front of the window.

"Who says that's shotgun?" Kid asked.

"Shotgun?" Superclone questioned.

"Pipe down Kid Mouth," I glared before turning to Greenie as I spun around in the seat, finding it surprisingly comfortable, "so, is this customizable or what? Red's not really my color."

She stared at me with a look of surprise and confusion. "Um, well I mean, I guess? I've never really tried before—"

"Great! I'm thinking black, black, black, cupholders, did I mention black? Although I wouldn't mind a dark gray. Oh! And seat warmers—"

"Blackout," Squidkid warned.

I rolled my eyes, but not before I felt the material change beneath me. Instead of the red chair was a pitch black seat with dark gray leather.

"So sick," I grinned in approval as I turned to Greenie, who sat in the middle of the room on an elevated seat with two glowing orbs in front of her. She flashed me a bright smile.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Kid jumped up, "why does she get a customized seat? I want one too! Okay. So its obviously gonna be yellow and red, oh! oh! And have a fridge! And not one, but two cupholders—"

Blondie reached forward and slapped him upside the head. "Focus, Baywatch. Mission, remember?"

"But—!"

"Kid, sit down. We must get going," Squidkid said sternly.

"Oh, come on!" The speedster huffed angrily, but still begrudgingly obeyed.

"Computer, open the hangar door please," Greenie said.

Seatbelts suddenly sprung out from either side of the seat and wrapped tightly around me. As soon as the wall opened, we flew out of the door and then shot into the sky. It was slowly turning into night and probably would be by the time we got to Gotham.

After a few moments of silence, I began stealthily scanning my teammates, and my eyes rested on the Superclone who sat almost unnaturally stiff next to me.

"So, Supercl— um, Boy," I corrected. "What do you like to do for fun?"

All heads snapped towards me, many of them with wide eyes.

"What?" I questioned everyone with a judgmental glare, "can't I try to get to know my teammate in peace?"

I turned back to the boy who stared at me with steely eyes.

"I like to punch things."

The air in the cabin suddenly became unbearably tense. I nodded in deep thought, choosing my next words carefully.

"Are you an Aries?"

"Oh my God," Dick muttered from next to me.

Superboy cocked his head. "A what?"

I waved it off. "Nevermind. But I feel for you— I like to punch things too. Way easier than talking. Emotions are gross."

"Right?" The boy exclaimed, throwing his hands up as if I had just given him the closure he's needed all his life.

"ETA to Gotham, two minutes," Greenie announced, interrupting the conversation.

"Miss Martian, please prepare a drop point at Miller Harbour," Squidkid ordered. "We will start at the outskirts of the city and work our way in."

The seatbelts came off as a hole suddenly opened up in the floor, the smells and sounds of Gotham coming through it.

"Drop point ready, Aqualad," Greenie stated.

"Remember what Batman said," Squidkid said, "this mission is simply recon only. Under no circumstances are any of you to intervene if we encounter Clayface."

The team nodded as Kid tapped the center of his suit and the bright yellow was replaced with black, same with Squidkid. Greenie completely changed her outfit to a much darker version as well.

"Miss Martian, please establish a mind link."

Mind link established. The voice of Greenie suddenly rang in my head.

"Whoa, what the hell?" I shouted, taking a few steps back.

Calm down babe, it just a little telecommunication. You know, so the bad guys don't find out about our... secret relationships. Kid sent a wink towards me.

I frowned.

Is there an option to mentally slap someone on this thing?

Unfortunately not. Artemis turned towards me with an understanding look.

Alright then, fellow kiddies, I sang, lets Justice this bitch.

As Dick passed me, he had a disturbed look on his face.

Please don't ever say that again.

I smirked as I watched him disappear through the floor.

C'mon, Rob! Be whelmed.

Shut up, Blackout.

* * *

"We've been searching for houurrsss..." Kid complained from behind me.

"It's been like forty five minutes," Blondie rolled her eyes from next to him.

"Not when you're a speedster!" He argued, "We experience time differently!"

"Oh, so that's why it takes you so long to understand things?"

"Ha ha. Very funny. I'll let you know..."

I tuned out the rest of the argument, turning back around and facing the city from my spot atop a graffiti-covered billboard.

You just had to stick me with the old married couple, didn'tcha, Squidkid? I asked sarcastically.

"Hey!" The argument suddenly ceased from behind me, both teens turning up towards me with a glare.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, Blackout, our leader's voice rang teasingly in my head, but you were the one who insisted on choosing teams.

I rolled my eyes. Yeah, but I figured between having our commander in chief looking over my shoulder every two seconds, nearly getting my head blasted off by lasers, or listening to Cookie Girl talk, these two morons were the best bet.

You know that everyone can hear you, right? Blondie asked angrily.

Duh.

To fill you all in: we divided into two teams;
one with Dick and one with me, seeing that we both grew up in the city. Both groups had been on patrol for almost an hour, and the fact that there's been no signs of Gotham's resident mud-monster had the whole team more than a little antsy for some action.

Hey Robbie, any sign on your end? I asked briefly, twirling a knife in between my fingers out of boredom.

Nada. Although I think I may have just witnessed a hot dog stand hijacking.

I snickered, swinging my legs around and laying down atop the billboard, hands behind my head and one leg dangling off the side.

Then the sound of bickering reached my ears once again.

"For crying out loud!" I yelled frustratedly, pushing myself up to look at the pair, "either get a room or get off the mission, Jesus."

As both of them began yelling at me to shut up, something behind them suddenly caught my eyes. I narrowed my eyes, fully pushing myself back up into a sitting position as my eyes tried to adjust to the darkness shrouding the buildings behind them.

Hey, hey, everyone shut up for a second, I said, I think I found something.

I jumped down the sign and landed in a crouch on the roof, pushing the two idiots aside and slowly walking over towards one of the many electrical boxes on the roof. My hand hovered over the gun strapped to my leg as the other rested on the side of the metal box, balancing myself as I slowly peered over it.

The air suddenly seemed thick and I swallowed hard, reminding myself that this was my city and no one was going to scare me while I was in it.

My eyes grazed over the other edge, where it was pitch black. I squinted to try and get a better look, cocking my head slightly as my hand came off of the box with the intention of activating night mode on my mask.

Which never happened, because suddenly two white slits popped open, cutting sharply through the dark, and a black mass launched itself straight at me.

* * *

Heyoo!! Here's an extra long chapter since I've been lazy as per usual. On another note, I'm gonna shamelessly self-promo here and say that if you want more Young Justice written by me, be a doll and check out my other story "Klara the Witch Girl" which is based off of YJ. Thanks for 56k+!

xo Alexa

P.S. I know the seats in the bioship are actually black, but for the sake of the story let's just pretend they're red. Kay? Kay.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.6K 2.7K 17
Kayla Carlisle, bitten by a radioactive spider and given in-human abilities. On the field she is well known for being the witty, smart and headstrong...
114K 5.1K 57
Now calling herself "Jade," a girl must delve into the risky business of cat burglary in attempts to keep her sister safe from a dangerous past. As t...
54.6K 1.2K 37
Arianna Hathaway had never expected her life to change in the matter of one night. Now with an unexpected life and challenges she learns she can't fa...
11.8K 289 13
Batman finds a cluster of old files belonging to the light. However as he decodes them he realizes that a few are targeting a young, powerful, indivi...