The Devils Backbone

By Skipology

Fanfiction based on the History Channels Hatfields and McCoys. [Book is a rough draft - needs heavy editing] ... More

CAST: The Hatfield Clan
CAST: The McCoy Clan
SOUNDTRACK
Across the River
Looming Airs
Timber
Blacker Berries
Cotton's Soup
Rain Water
Ominous
Hogswagglers Jury
Chores to Do
Election Day
Rose on the Doorstep
Too Far Gone
Counting Seconds
The Shack
Up to the Timber
Untitled Blooms
Pikeville
Close
Was There Peace in the Valley
Chill Down the Spine
Hammer and Nails
As Blood Sets the Table
Unease
In the Dark
Like Rain in the Sky
One Crossed the River
Lambs Last Mercy
Blood Toucheth Blood
Ever On
Trouble with Peace
Autumn Rain
Fire Starters
Laughter in the Dark
Irregular
A Call to the Wilds
Schemes
Comes A Knocking
Angels
Changing Winds
The Begining
Smoke Before The Blaze
Regrouping
How Deep the Water Runs
A Cabin in the Hills
High Alert
Heat the Frying Pan
Day in the Life
A Wild Ride
No Bells A Ringin'
For Want of a Nail
Killing Season
Start of a Charge
New Faces
The First Night
Battlezones
The Pine Box
When All Goes Right
Now's About Time
A Snake in the Roses
Quiet Thunder
The Color of Blood
Plans
Where the Apricots Grow
The Gut You Trust
Road to New York
At Ease
Something New
Adder in the Garden
Fibs and Folly
The Dream Deferred
The Get Away
The Way Back
The Nerve
Mother May I
Daddy Dearest
Quiet Gatherings
Good Bad Spine
Sundance
Rock Bottom
Cold Dark Morning
Lost and Found
From The Pit
Winter's Sigh
A Wing to Mend
Two Came Knocking
Hard Luck, Shared Blood
For the Better?
A Merry Secret
An Unclever Ruse

The Things You Sew

1.6K 100 38
By Skipology

Jim had sent Cap home after gathering Jerfferson out the water as it was too risky, them both crossing over into Kentucky. Riding for home Cap could only pray Chyna was still very busy or belived him to be hunting out with his pa and Johnsey.

Johnsey road home as fast as he could, he rushed into the door of his home to find Nancy sitting on the edge of bed, all out of sorts with cuts and bruises. A bottle of his moonshine in her hand. "Jesus" he breathed quietly rushing to her he knelt and touched her face, gently trying to examine her.

"Somebody bashed you?" He asked but Nancy who was still seething refused to look Johnsey in the eyes. "Oh, my god." Johnsey gaspedgetting a better look at her. "Jim Vance beat me like I was a mule. Or worse." Nancy said throwing Johnsey's hands off of her. "Uncle Jim?" Johnsey questioned, Nancy looked down at him with a snarl "he did disgusting things to me, him and Cap come in here and take Jefferson." She sneered pointing her thumb towards the door.

"Now, you tell me true whether you had anythin' to do with that!" Nancy shouted. Johnsey rested his hand lightly on the back on Nancy's neck, letting his fingers caress her hair. "I swear to you, I didnt." He said trying to sooth her "I swear." His words were pleading.

"Then you go and you get after them. " Nancy said pointing towards the door "an' you bring my brother back here. You go an do that, you do that for me!" She demanded. "Oh goddanmit!" Johnsey whispered shoving off the ground and standing up. He paced around pulling at his hair "goddanmit all..."

"I said get!" Nancy barked "I can't, Nance" Johnsey said hands resting on the top of his head and eyes shut tight. "You can't or you won't?" She asked in a vexed growl. Johnsey sighed and shook his head "I can't" he breathed.

Nancy peered up at him through red narrowed eyes and scowled. "It's already been played out." Johnsey said near tears himself "I seen my brother Cap down the road. Jefferson tried to run, Cap had to shot him." He said. Nancy slowly got up from the bed "no." She whispered while starting to walk around back and forth, her pride trying to bite back tears as her breathing became rapid. "Oh hell." She whinned "Jefferson's killed, Nance." Johnsey stated.

"Oh, shit" Nancy said before the sobbing started "now I aint got no one." She said slamming the bottle down on the bed post, cracking the glass. "Hey," Johnsey called called softly, Nancy tossed the bottle to the floor and Johnsey tried to draw her into him. Wraping his arms over her back and around her shoulders.

The moment he did, however, Nancy tried to pry his hands off. "My brothers dead!" She wailed pushing him off and sitting back on the bed. Johnsey watched her rock and sob, wanting nothing more to hold her to him. "Now I ain't got nobody, now my brothers dead." She kept repeating.

Johnsey shook his head and sat at her side with a bit of caution "hey. You got me." He said touching her shoulder and taking her hand. At his touch Nancy tried to yank herself away "no!" She yelled. "You still got me!" Johnsey cried out trying to draw her into a hug. Nancy fought kicking and screaming and punching. Johnsey held her tight and took it all, bitting his lip as she cursed him and shouted.

"No, damn it!" Nancy curled her body up so that she might kick at his chest with her feet, like an angered cat. "Dont touch me! Stop it!" She hollered breaking free of him. She continued to slap and kick at his chest. "Stopi it!" Johnsey said calmly trying to settle her down. "I dont want you here!" Nancy shouted. Johnsey managed to hug her, he used all the strength he had to hold her to him "come on, come on. Hey I got you." He spoke softly into her ear.

Yet Nancy was having none of it and still she struggled. "No!" She sobbed pushing him away, Johnsey threew his hands in the air and off of her in defeat "goddamnit!" Nancy yelled hitting Johnsey in the chest one last time. "You get out of here." She growled pushing him with hands and feet. Johnsey bit his lip and looked away from her feelings hurt. "Get! Get outta here!" She shrieked, Johnsey got up off the bed and headed to the door without so much as a word.

Meanwhile Chyna had yet to return home, she stayed with Luella at the Saloon. Chyna was quickly enlisted by Luella's farther to tiddy up the bar room. Luella dressed Chyna up much as she did any night she worked. It was getting rowdy, a gentleman and his friends were celebrating a final night of freedom while passing threw on thier way to North Carolina for a wedding.

The soon to be Groom kept giving Chyna the eye, Luella's father smelled money and with a smirk whispered something in the man's ear. "You looking for something exotic, she's just come in from british ports." Luella's father lied. "She's open for a poke...of course for a price, theres also an - ahem, confidentiality fee" he added. The man looked up at Luella's father and took out his wallet.  "How much?" He asked.

Chyna looked up as Luella's father came to her, "got you a job, theres a gentleman upstairs waitin on ya" he said. "Pa...Chyna aint-" Luella protested. Her father held out a thin stack of five 20$ bills. "This here? This here would be your cut." He said to Chyna. Luella gasped "good lord pa how much did he pay!" Luella said. " the averages mans wages for about 5 mounths. Feller's a politicians son up in New York." Her father said.

Chyna looked at the money, "which room sir?" She asked. "Third from the right"  he said. Chyna nodded and headed up the steps.

She was nervous, she knew well how to do the do, but that wasn't for pay, what would he ask her for? Maybe she should turn back - no, Chyna stopped at the bedroom door. "One hundred dollars, it'd really help us out..." She thought. " ain't no worse than having to lay about under Tolbert with no say so." She told herself.

Exhaling she opened the door and entered the room, she leaned against the closed door and looked over the man. He wasn't very tall but not short either, with a mop of raven curls upon his head that looked as if it had never seen a good brushing in his life. He wasnt homely, Chyna was sure a good deal of women would find him attractive in one way or another, yet she could not say she herself was.

"Um..." Chyna wasn't sure what to say or how to address him so she fell back into what she knew. "monsieur, I am sorry for the wait." Chyna said softly. The gentlrman eyed her up and down. "That is no british accent -" he said his gaze heavy on her. "I am sorry....does that displease you? Its part Louisiana - theres french in there some where." Chyna said, the gentleman didn't so much as crack a smile.

"What is your name my dear?" He asked, "Chyna" she said quickly. "Well then Chyna, my name is Bennett Dewey Hill, and you can come closer I do not mean you no harm." He said. Bennet had a calm well bred way of speaking and he seemed far more refined than anyone Chyna had ever met, even Nancy. Even Perry Cline's propper facade, paled in comparison to Bennett's composure.

Chyna nodded and sat next to him on the side of the bed. "What can I do for you, monsieur Hill?" She asked. "Benny will do just fine, and a shot of whiskey and a back rub will do just fine." He said in an exasperated sigh, quickly losing a bit of his well trained air.

Chyna got up and went to the small bar with the room, fetching a bottle and a glass she went to pour. "On second thought, just bring me the bottle dear" said Bennett. "Yes, mons-"

"Benny," Bennett corrected. As Chyna turned around she saw a amused glint in his eyes, he'd seemed to come more undone by the second. Chyna handed him the bottle and went to sit behind him. She wanted to ask if he was already drunk.

"I hear there's a hard and bloody war brewing in these parts. Was almost afraid to travel through here." Bennett said as Chyna rubbed his shoulders.  She arched an eyebrow, he sure was casual with her, all considering. Chyna opted to remain quiet.

"I bet your wondering. If im a mad man, shooting the shit with a colored girl." He chuckled. "....won't say you're wrong..." Chyna confessed.  "I grew up at the hands of negros, father didn't have much time for me. So I was raised by the help." He said.

"Slaves?" She asked him, Bennett looked over his shoulder at her "No, the help.  you see my mother before before she passed away had all our slaves freed. They belonged to her family - not my Father's. They decided to stay with us, my mother had always been very kind to them. She knew that they were people, human just as much as we were. Not cattle." He said.

Chyna was listening intently now and nearly forgot she was supposed to be rubbing his shoulders. "My father is less kind, but he tolerates them for my mothers memory and they stay because they loved her and me. They are my friends and my family. So you see talking with you puts me at ease. That is why I came up here to feel at home." Bennett said.

Chyna remained silent for a while, she stopped rubbing his shoulders and crawled to sit beside him. "Why're you at a whore house before your wedding?" She asked him, she sensed now the ok to be open.

Bennett chuckled "why indeed, this blasted wedding." He spat. "All in the milk aint clean?" Chyna asked. Bennett looked to her. "You're a smart girl, no it aint" he said mocking her improper tongue.

"I dont love that money sniffing hound what everyone wants to call my wife to be. I don't want marraige. But if I want to stop my greedy ubcle from taking my mothers wealth - I must marry to inherit it or sign it over, sell it." He said.

"Thats terrible..." Chyna muttered. "Sorry dont know much too say bout that. I aint had family as a grown woman. The closest thing I do have - they aint like that. They're for each other always." She added.

"Closest thing?" Bennett asked, Chyna nodded "this so called war yous talkin bout. My family is the Hatfields. Even if not all of them feel the same." She said. "How- how did you fall into such misfortune?" He asked in a light gasp. Chyna giggled "it aint a missfortune - they ain't monsters like all the pappers say. Hatfields is the reason I'm likely still alive." Chyna said.

"Tell me - how, and from the start." Bennett asked.

Down in Pikeville, Bad Frank sat in the whore house at a table, lined up before him was a long line of men. Each wanting a part in capturing the Hatfields. "You were in the army?" Frank asked an elderly man. "Well I tried to enlist, on-on both sides." The old man saidb he leaned over and said lowly, "there's something awry with my genitals."

Bad Frank looked over the old man uncomfortably,  "well uh...it prevent you from ridding a horse?" Frank asked "not anymore" the old man said quickly. He then took up his riffle and gave it a shake. "And Im a fine shot, tell you what. I can hit a ratcs ass at 40 yards." The old man boasted. "Leave word where to find you when it comes to that." Frank snicked. The old man scowled and walked off "next." Frank called.

A tall man in his late 20s stepped up, he had golden hair pulled into a neat short ponytail and a golden mustash, heavy sideburns and slight gotee to match. Dark denim eyes that held too much honesty and a vibrant glint within them. He looked the sort who was none to bright, but came from a well off family. "My name is Ranon Bray" he said with confidence.

"I am armed and ready to ride." Bray said with a nod "and I'll take on your fight, against anyone or anything you put in front of me." He said. Frank was uninspired by his speech and turned to spit his chewing tobacco. "Mr.Phillips, I aint here just to join a posse. I wanna be your personal deputy. Because I work hard and I wouldnt-"

"Any law enforcement experience?" Frank cut in, tired of the boys brown nosing. Bray exhaled but recovered quickly "well, I wanna learn the Occupation." Bray said. Behind him stood a man who held a dark mysterious air about him. He watched Bray with a faint amused smirk, from the strained look in Bray's eyes one could tell that Bray was well aware of him. "Because I know I'd be good at it." Bray said.

Frank lit a cigar and took a long drag from it. "Now, I aint gonna give you no guff." Bray promised. Frank was amused now too with Bray's desperation to get hired, and the face the man behind him haf been making wasn't helping things. All be told, Frank was more interested in hearing what the mysterious man behind him had to offer.

The man was clearly native as told by deep carmel colored skin, sharp brown eyes and long hair that was blacker than the night. He looked like a fighter, even a bit dangerious. So much so that Frank had to admit he would hate to cross the man.

Bray noticed Frank looking right past him and glanced over his shoulder, he turned to face Frank and leaned down on the table. "All right look, he is with me. He is a Mingo warrior, names Logan. Grandson of the man Logan county is named after. An' his a real good tracker. But he wont work for no one without me." Bray said. Frank considered what was said and Bray sighed " look, you take us on, and Ill even split my wages with you." Bray said with smirk.

Frank sat back in his chair and slowly started to smile. "Well, Sir, let me talk to Mr.Cline and Mr.McCoy about the two of you." Frank said quickly changing his tone. Bray stood tall and smirked, giving a slight nod.  Wiggins the bartender walked up and whispered to Frank "There's a lady upstairs wanting to talk to you." He said. A pleased smirk came to Frank's face as he stood up. "Gentlemen, I'll be back." He said putting out his Cigar and limping towards the large rounded stair.

Nancy sat in the dim room and listened to the drizzle of rain that had started to fall. She felt nothing within her but rage as she replayed Johnsey's words "Jefferson tried to run...Cap had to shoot" Nancy grimaced "Jefferson's killed, Nance." She hated even hearing Johnseycs voice in her head.

Before long, the door to the room opened and in walked Bad Frank.  He watched Nancy was he hobbled past her, her face was beaten but he was stil instantly taken with the beauty that was peeking through. "Man downstairs said you had something to tell me?" He asked her.

Nancy nodded and licked her split lip, "how'd you like to know where Selkirk McCoy is?" She asked, "the Teaitor that killed his own kin." She added in a numb bitterness. Frank studdied her carefully, "what would you want in return?" He asked, Nancy looked him square in the eyes. "For you to kill Jim Vance." She said not wasting a moment. "The man that did this to my face and worse than that, killed my brother and my pap."

Laughter and merriment could be heard from doenstairs but the air in the room was heavy and thick. Frank walked to the mini bar and poured himself a drink "Jim Vance is on the list" Frank said tirning to look at Nancy "sooner or latter, we gonna get every damn one." He said taking a sip.

"Not just get him, kill him." Nancy spat. "You can demonstrate on Selkirk. He's a workin down in Beckleyville, usin a fake name." Nancy said. Frank looked down into his glass and swirled the whiskey around. "Want me to kill him too?" He asked. Nancy shrugged "do as you please" she said trying to hold back a smile "dont make me no never mind, it's Jim Vance I hate." Nancy mused, she got to her feet and headed for the door.

Frank tilted his head and looked Nancy up and down "and just one last thing." She called from the doorway, turning to look at Frank she looked him up and down as well. "Just leave Johnsey Hatfield be. For now." She said. Frank took another sip from his Drink and Nancy gave him a respectful nod before walking out.

Frank headed back down the steps and sent word to his men about Selkirk and his whereabouts.

"Where the hell is she...." Cap murmured as the sun started to set. Billy and Robert E. sat out on the back porch with Coton counting ammo and watching Cap pace about. "She's found out, she had to...." Cap muttered rufflng his hair with one hand. "What if she don't come back? Im gonc kill Uncle Jim! I swear-"

"Cap stop panickin' for lansakes! Acting like you got your johnson caught on fire, Chyna probably just went to check on that  Iris woman." Robert E. Called out. Cap stopped pacing and looked at Robert E. "what you do that was so bad anyway?" He asked Cap. "I aint don' nothin it was Uncle Jim. Whipped Nancy 'round like a horse tail tryin to swatt a fly." Cap sighed.

"Thought she hurt Chyna? So what does it matter?" Robert E. asked. "Chyna don't believe none of it....Nancy is still a friend in her eyes. She's gon' hate me for lettin this happen..." Cap said. "Besides....it aint safe to be out..." Cap muttered. Not but a few hours ago troubling news had reached Anse, Selkirk had been arrested and taken.

"My...you've quiet the story don't you." Bennet breathed once Chyna was done. "An' it aint done yet." She giggled. Bennett sighed "what am I to do! I can not go through with this sham of a wedding..." Bennett said in an agonizing whine. "Sell half the land to someone you trust from somewhere else - an dont tell no one who they are. Part of it is still yours but your uncle wont want half a parcel if he is as greedy as you lead him on to be." Said Chyna.

Bennett had his eyes fixed on her. "You might be right, sell it to someone trustworthy - I can do t in a way my mother would have liked, he couldnt argue it." Bennet murmured lighting up a cigar. "You've got a good deal of drive and motivation." He said slowly, "I'd certainly hope so by now." Chyna said. "And you have knowledge about crops and tending land." He added, talking more to himself than to her.

"Ah....yeah? I do - you alright Bennett?" Chyna asked as a crazed smile slowly grew across his face. "No, no indeed. I fear I may just be mad out of my mind." Bennett chuckled. "My dear Chyna, how muchbcoin do you carry with you?" He aked. "Ah...maybe a few bits but-"

"Nevermind it doesnt matter! Your service and loyalty will be your currencey." He said in excitment. "Service? Loyalty?" Chyna asked. The man had lost what was left of his mind, she was sure of it. "I Will sell you my mothers plantation." He said.

Chyna started to cough "y-your drunk Bennett." She said. "No, I am very much sober. From your story I see who you are, money cannot buy your kind of loyalty. Giving it to you will honor my Mother and my colored family will be safe and still haveca home if you take over. My uncle cannot steal the land from under them if its in your hands. And - and, I wont have to marry that horrid witch!" Bennett sang.

"I dont know nothing about running anything." Chyna tried to reason. "No but thats why ive kept part of the land. And what of your fellow - this Cap Hatfield? Eh?" Bennett asked speaking hurridly. "Well- I - he, his pa runs a lumber buisness so-"

"So he knows buisness! He can help you." Bennett said standing up, he guzzled the rest of the bottle. "I must go, I must go and settle the affairs, I will send a brother of mine down within the week to speak with you!" He said gathering his coat and hat and rushing out the room. Chyna chased after him but he flew down the stairs, "complaments to the lady, my good man." Bennett said quickly laying a bill in Luella's father's hand and dashing out the door.

Bennett's fellows scrambled to catch up with him. Chyna with eyes wide walked over to Luella and her father. "What just happened?" Luella asked and Chyna started to explain.

"I didn't realize it went an' got so late..." Chyna said looking out the window. The saloon doors opened and in walked Jim Vance and Elias, followed by- "oh god almighty father! Thank you!" Cap said breathlessly, forgetting about all the eyes watching he rushed to Chyna and took her into his arms.

"Cap!" She said inba hiss like whisper "people are-" Cap shook his head "- I don't give a damn." He said cutting her off.  "Come on." He said leading her up stairs. In a room alone Cap stood nervously before her, he removed his hat and wrung it in his hands. "So uh...you was here all day?" He asked her carefully.

Chyna nodded and a bright smile came to her face as she pulled a roll of money out of the chest of her dress. "Here, I figured it'll help out.  It a hundred jus like the bounty you missed." She said. Cap paled "you aint do any actual work here did ya?" He asked feeling sick.

"Well not really, some crazed man came in and paid to see me. Alls he wanted was a drink and a back rub." Chyna said. Cap arched a brow "really?" He asked. "Why would I tell tails?" Chyna asked. "But you thought he wanted to..." Cap trailed off.

"It was the only way I could make up costing you a reward fot jefferson's bounty." Chyna murmured. Cap could feel hinself breaking out into a cold sweat. "Oh you don't have to fret yourself with that..." He said slowly, brushing back his hair.

Chyna closed Cap's hand around the rolled up money "jus take it Cap." She said. Cap wanted nothing more than to drag himself around the building and give his own backside a good whipping. "So..whats make ya say the man was crazy?" Cap asked.

"Came in here, tol me he was raised by negros an' asked my story. After I tol him he said he wanted to sell me his Ma's plantation in exhange for my lotalty." Chyna said. Cap started to laugh but Chyna only cracked a small smile.

"Jesus, he might be serious?" Cap asked sitting next to her on the bed. "I don't know, he was in such a hurry to leave I couldn't ask." She said. Chyna told Cap more and he leaned over, resting his arms on his knees. "Well...I guess we'll know if this brother of his shows up here." Cap sighed.

Chyna reached out and stroked Caps hair, he closed his eyes and shivered. "Im sorry I scared you." Chyna said. Cap groaned, he'd halfway wished she was still sore at him so she wouldn't be so kind.

"Chyna...I -I got something I need to tell you..." Cap mummbled. Chyna pulled her hand away and watched him with concern. "What is it? Is everyone alright?" She asked quickly. "Yeah, well - no." Cap sighed "you see - gawd damn." Cap couldn't form the sentice he wanted to say, it was as if fear was strangling the words before he could form them.

"You're not making any sense Cap." Chyna said. "Dont I know it." said Cap with a contrite bitter smirk.

Down stars there came a loud bang, not the sort of gunfire, rather the sound of a door being thrown open. Cap and Chyna looked to each other before rushing down the stairs.

"Hey Sug" Luella called in a flirtatous lull as an enraged and drunken Johnsey stood at the entrance. His face was red and covered in sweat as his eyes darted around the Saloon. The music stopped and everyone fell silent.

"Whats wrong with him?" Chyna asked Cap. "You best play this off real good Cap." Cap thought t himself. He placed on a carefree smile "jus drunk looks like" he said with a cjuckle, side glancing in Jim's direction. "Come on lets get me a drink." said Cap leading Chyna to a table near the bar.

"Cap?" Chyna said quietly as Johnsey zeroed in on Jim's old mutt of a dog resting on the floor. Cap ignored Chyna and took a long swig straight from the bottle. "Cap...Cap look!" Chyna called. But Johnsey had already hauled off and kicked the dog across the room just about.

At the sound of the yelp, Jim flew up out of his chair and grasped Johnsey by the collar. Jim slammed him against the wall "are you insane boy!" He yelled. "Shit" Cap thought siping on his drink. He already knew he'd have to jump in. But he prayed for the chance that Johnsey would give up, as it wasn't easy best Jim Vance in bar brawl. He wasnt one for playing fair or clean fights.

Jim socked Johnsry in the jaw "oooh" Cap called egging them on while he downed another shot. Jim dragged Johnsey about punching his face so hard the sound echoed through the room. Chyna cringed at every smack and rubbed her jaw. Jim had large fists, she coulfnt imagine how much it must have hurt.

Johnsey finally tried to fight back shoving himselff off the suport beam. "That's right, Johnsey, don't give up!" Cap called, pouring another shot. Chyna watched him, he was drinking much too fast. "Cap?" She question, he glanced down at her before taking a seat at a table. The other men in the saloon started to cheer and take sides while the two Hatfields brawled.

Jim bashed his forehead against Johnseycs a dazed him before throwing Johnsey past Cap's tableb Chyna just barely able to step out the way. Cap took her by the hand and pulled her back, she fell in his lap "come on, Boys!" Cap said enjoying the site. Jim and Johnsey had gotten under his skin as of late so much til he was having rinvwith the show.

Chyna slapped Cap's shoulder "what are you crazy?" She asked him.  Johnsey flipped Jim onto his back and tried to get to his feet. "Whoo! Yeah boys!" Cap cheered downing what had to have been his 7th shot. "Shut up!" Elias hissed at him.

"Jim? Jim? Stop it now you gon' throw your back out again!" Elias warned his uncle.  Jim wasnt listening, instead the slammed Johnsey against the barb breaking various glasses and spilling bottles. Jim and Johnsey tearing at each other. "Jim, Stop!" Luella pleaded seeing Johnsey struggle.

"Why'd you do it, Uncle Jim!" Johnsey saidgrabbing hold around Jim's neck. Chyna pushed herself off of Cap's lap and darted to Cotton who was covering his eyes, she hugged him and rested her chip on top of his head. "Chyna...why are they fighting?" He asked. "Wish I could tell ya Cot, but you know as much a I do." She told him gently.

"What the hell? Do what?" Jim asked as the fight raged on.  Johnsey dug his thumbs into Jim's eyes causing him to to cry out and grasp the sides of Johnseycs hair. Using his full body weight Jim flung himself and Johnsey onto a table, breaking it. "Jim?" Elias called going nearer to them. Cap took a final shot and got up. Enough was enough, i was getting out of hand and now Cotton was scared. He could not stall having Chyna find put any longer.

"Get your brother, Cap, I got Jim ." Elias ordered "right lets get 'em" Cap sighed. Elias reached for Jim "alright now!" Cap called put going for Johnsey. "Get up!" Elias barked struggling with Jim. "Its not funny now, Johnse. Get off the uncle." Cap grunted trying to keep hold of the flailing drunken Johnsey. "Johnse! Johnse! Stop it!" Cap barked as Johnsey stood up and rushed towards Jim.

Cap hooked his elbow around Johnseycs neck and shouldersb ulling his body backwards the two brothers fell back into a chair. "I'm gonna kill you!" Johnsey yelled at Jim who was fighti g against Elias. Cap held in tight to Johnsey with both arms, his brother outsized him a bit and it was a challenge.

"You monster! Nancy says you damn near rapped her!" Johnsey shouted. Chynacs mouth fell open and her hands clasped over Cotton ears tight. Her eyes wandered over to Cap, who was to busy trying not to lose grip on Johnsey or have his other eye knocked out to worry about it.

"That's a goddamn lie! That bitch came at me first!" Jim shouted back pointing. "Bitch? Thats my wife you're talking about, damn it!" Johnsey roared. Cap's grip started to slip and Alex Messer rushed over to tae hold of Johnseycs shoulder.  "Johnsey! Settle down! You're drunk!" Cap yelled as Johnsey had thrashed about so much the chair legs broke and both men sat on the floor.

Jim calmed down and sat on a bar stool watching Johnsey still wildly trash about "sit." Elias sighed "you just stay there, Uncle Jim." He added. Cap got a better hold on Johnsey holding him down and refusing to let loose. " the only way I could come here was liquored up!" Johnsey shouted slowly simmering down.

Elias handed Jim and drink while taking a sip of his own, all four men were huffing and puffing for air. "I hate going up against my family like this." Johnsey whimpered.  Cap rolled his eyes and glance at Chyna who watched them with wide disbelieving eyes.  "Jim's right about Nancy.  She come after us an' she started whipping at him with a cows tail!" Cap said pointing towards Jim.

"Right near took my damn eye out, she did" said Jim pointing towards a cut under his left eye. "I had to jetk that thing outta her hand to save myself!" Jim shouted. Luella rushed in with a wet rag and gently wash the blood trickling fron Johnseycs lip. "I'm sorry, Johnsey, but - you know." Jim said.

Chyna uncovered Cotton's ears and her eyes stayed on Cap, her Jaw clenched tight. Evertybody seemed to have calmed down. Cap loosened his grip on Johnsey but refused to let go. "You hear about Selkirk?" Elias asked while Jim downed his shot. "That Bad Frank prick hauled him off to a Pikeville jail" he added.

Cap tore his eyes from Chyna and looked down at his brother "how'd he know where he was, Johnse?" Cap asked, luella stroked Johnseycs hair. "Selkirk was incognito, only us hatfields knew where he was." He added looking up at Jim and Elias.

Johnsey swatted Luella away and she stood retreating to Chyna's side. All eyes lingered on Johnsey and a calm quiet fell over the Saloon. "I am foursquare Hafield." Johnsey huffed. "Front and back, dawn to dusk." He added looking over his family and friends. "Yeah, well." Jim sighed. "Thatcs why emotions is running so wild." Jim said slowly looking to Elias.

Johnsey sighed and leaned his head back against Cap's shoulder. "Because, you see....there's a spy amongst us." Jim said in a low dangerious tone.

Chyna got up scooting her chair back and rushing out the door into the cool night air. Cap watched her go and released Johnsey, slipping from under his brother he got to his feet and went after her. "Shit, shit, shit" his mind cursed. Once out the door he could spot her storming up the street heading for were The Shanty used to stand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

414K 10.5K 41
***Interracial Romance*** ***Sexual Content*** Maxx, a middle class good girl who never dares step into trouble and Daniel, a rich bad boy that has...
11.2K 436 28
THIS IS THE SECOND BOOK IN THE GOOD AND THE BAD SERIES. IT IS NOT REQUIRED THAT YOU READ THE FIRST ONE BUT I RECOMMEND THAT YOU SHOULD. *** "I'm not...
352K 13.4K 46
Growing up in the hood isn't easy . Murders , shootouts , drugs , prostitutes and dope boys are normal . Imagine being sucked in the gritty at just s...
128 7 23
Crescent Bloodfang (Cress Fang) was kidnapped along with her twin Terrance (Terry) at a young age. They grew up living with a human couple, one didn'...