The Devils Backbone

By Skipology

Fanfiction based on the History Channels Hatfields and McCoys. [Book is a rough draft - needs heavy editing] ... More

CAST: The Hatfield Clan
CAST: The McCoy Clan
SOUNDTRACK
Across the River
Looming Airs
Timber
Blacker Berries
Cotton's Soup
Rain Water
Ominous
Hogswagglers Jury
Chores to Do
Election Day
Rose on the Doorstep
Too Far Gone
Counting Seconds
The Shack
Up to the Timber
Untitled Blooms
Pikeville
Close
Was There Peace in the Valley
Chill Down the Spine
Hammer and Nails
As Blood Sets the Table
Unease
In the Dark
Like Rain in the Sky
One Crossed the River
Lambs Last Mercy
Blood Toucheth Blood
Ever On
Trouble with Peace
Autumn Rain
Fire Starters
Laughter in the Dark
Irregular
A Call to the Wilds
Schemes
Comes A Knocking
Angels
Changing Winds
The Begining
Smoke Before The Blaze
Regrouping
How Deep the Water Runs
A Cabin in the Hills
High Alert
Heat the Frying Pan
Day in the Life
A Wild Ride
No Bells A Ringin'
Killing Season
The Things You Sew
Start of a Charge
New Faces
The First Night
Battlezones
The Pine Box
When All Goes Right
Now's About Time
A Snake in the Roses
Quiet Thunder
The Color of Blood
Plans
Where the Apricots Grow
The Gut You Trust
Road to New York
At Ease
Something New
Adder in the Garden
Fibs and Folly
The Dream Deferred
The Get Away
The Way Back
The Nerve
Mother May I
Daddy Dearest
Quiet Gatherings
Good Bad Spine
Sundance
Rock Bottom
Cold Dark Morning
Lost and Found
From The Pit
Winter's Sigh
A Wing to Mend
Two Came Knocking
Hard Luck, Shared Blood
For the Better?
A Merry Secret
An Unclever Ruse

For Want of a Nail

1.6K 105 58
By Skipology

"Running outta land pretty fast Cap!" Chyna called while Cap reloaded his pistol. He turned to look at thier road to see what looked like a drop off. He exhaled sharply "pull her back! Pull back!" He said quickly. Chyna gave the reigns a hard tug and with a neigh of displeasure Pardon stopped.

Cap and Chyna peered over the edge, it wasn't a cliff but a severely steep hill. It was dotted with trees which had seen better days, many fallen.

"It aint a drop off..." Chyna breathed "shit, damn near..." Cap muttered. Bullets flew over thier heads and they could hear the two bounty hunters catching up. Cap fired more shots but here the trees were so thick their branches got in the way.

Cap checked how many bullets he had left, "three" he muttered. Chyna looked to Cap and then to two of them looked down the bluff.  Looking at each other one more time, as if asking each other "whats our odds" and "are you ready".

"We gotcha now Hatfield!" The bounty hunters called. Cap took the reigns and waited to the men to get close, he threw them a smirk "wouldn't count on it." He muttered, clicking his heels into Pardon the horse launched down hill.

Chyna shut her eyes and gripped the mare's mane, Cap grasped Chyna around the waist with one hand and held the reigns with the other. He grinned turned his head up howling "Woooo!" Before laughing. Chyna peeped one eye open, it was a long way down but she felt safe with his arm around her and his heart beat at her back.

Pardon didn't seemed concerned with the steepness or the fallen trees as she navigated her way down. Chyna started to smile and threw her hands up in the air, Cap chuckled and let out a triumphant yowl.

"Jesus" one of the bounty hunters said, slowly exhaling. "Even Hatfield horses is crazy..."

Once they hit flat land Cap halted Pardon and turned around, carefully aiming his pistol up. With three cracks of the gun there was one cry and another. Down came the bounty huntersb toopling down hill. The first body found itself caught in the branches of a downed tree and the other came to a stop just before Pardon's hooves.

Cap turned to Chyna with a pleased grin and mashed his lips to her cheek in an overly excited kiss. He clicked his heels against Pardon and started off, headed towards Johnsey's cabin. The two whooping and hollering all along the way.

Johnsey stepped out of his cabin riffle ready as he could hear yelling in the distance. Part of him feared it would be a mob of angry McCoys coming for his hide. "What on earth is all that god awful noise?" Nancy called from the bed of the one room cabin.

Out of the trees and brush came Cap and Chyna. Johnsey lowered his riffle but found himself confused and hopeful. "All that hollerin outta celebration from your big brothers weddin' day?" Johnsey asked with a smile. Cap rolled his eyes "ya don't you just wish?" Cap chuckled. "That was 'bout us dustin some McCoy hired deadbeats, is what was" Cap bragged.

Johnsey rolled his eyes as Cap hopped off Pardon and got Chyna down next. "Thats a nice horse, grade but nice" Johnsey said. Cap gave the mare a pat and a treat, "you don't know the half of it." Cap said but his smile fell as Nancy stepped out the home. "Miss Nancy!" Chyna called gleefully.

For a sevond Nancy forgot to smile as the girl rushed to hug her. Cap narrowed his eyes slightly. "Oh - Chyna. Well arent you looking....well." Nancy said patting Chyna's back.  Chyna nodded and grinned "you too Miss Nancy! Congratulations!  You must be so excited you're a missus now!" Chyma cheered.

Nancy found herself mentally screaming and managed to push Chyna away lightly. But she could not hide a bit of roughness that was in that push. Chyna felt it, but it had to be an accident. "Surely" Chyna thought.

"Not" Cap thought rolling his eyes. "Ma and Pa they wanna see you." Cap said. "Yeah and bite my head clean off. I aint going back." Johnsey said.

"How'd you get better so soon?" Nancy asked. "Well, dont tell no body but - they thinks it t'was poison. Flushed my stomach with burned breakfast and water for a couple days and it mostly cleared up. I still feel woozy sometimes but...i have to ask." Chyna said quickly. She played with her hands nerviously.

"Did you...notice anythin' strange when Rutherford sent you off with the pills?" Chyna asked. Nancy looked at her with a blank gaze, and then water started flowing from her eyes. "Oh Chyna!" She sobbed throwing her arms around Chyna's shoulders. "I promised 'im I wouldn't tell. He said - he said his Pa would..." Nancy bawled.

"Him who? Whats gon' on Miss Nancy?" Chyna asked. By now Nancy had all eyes on her. "It was Calvin!" She gasped in a high pitched whine. "Rubbed Oleander Ether on his hands. And left to tell you bout the bounties, said if he acted like he was helpin' you wouldn't suspect him trying to -" Nancy broke out into sobs again.

"What?" Chyna whispered, the memories that had been lost to her flooded back. She remembered meeting Calvin at the well, his hand covering her mouth. "But when he heard you was still with us...he sent me to tamper the pills. I was gonna throw them away but - he - he threatened Jefferson. An' Jefferson's alls I got left in the worl'" Nancy said in hysterics.

Chyna shook her head, but it made sense. Calvin knew all about plants, he would know about Oleander. The thing that confused her was "why?" Chyna asked. "Calvin's my friend." Chyna stammered. Nancy stopped her crying, and got a dark glimer in her eyes. "Cause he knows you was there." She said sharply. "There and done nothing for his brothers."

Cap glared hard at her "you lyin' little-" Cap hissed. "I aint lyin, what I gotta lie for? Johnsey's my husband and I love him! I ain't gon lie to his Kin or my friend. She's likely the onlyest one I got left after this! They'll be searchin for me!" Nancy shouted hitting herself. With her pointed finger.

Cap fell silent, seething, but looking at Chyna he saw nothing had changed. "Oh Miss Nancy" Chyna gasped "It aint your fault..." She whispered. "You cant-" Cap started " Calvin huh...always knew he was a weasel." Johnsey muttered going to comfort his new bride.

Cap shook his head, "an they call me fog-eye..." He grumbled. 

Nancy glanced back at the Cabin, "well, we're gon let you boys chat and go have some girl time." She said. Johnsey threw her a look but Nancy just smile. "Come on Chyna, come on in." She said. Chyna followed her into the hut.

Inside Jefferson sat at a table "sis!" He hissed in a panic. "Its ok, Jefferson. Chyna won't tell no one she ever saw ya." Said Nancy. Chyna was confused "aint that right?" Nancy asked. Chyna shook her head "why aint he s'posed to be here?" Chyna asked.

Nancy rubbed her temples " night after we got married, the fool shot Fred Wilford" she said clearly vexed. "The mail man?" Chyna questioned looking at Jefferson. "You was drankin again wasn't ya! Thought Miss Nancy tol you to stop that!" Chyna scolded. Having grown up with these two provided her with the kind of vocal freedoms she only shared with Cap and Cotton.

"Wa'nt my fault! He tried to shoot me! We got into a drunkin scuffle and he tried to shoot me! So I made him shoot himself!" Jefferson said. "Sshhh! Keep your voice down!" Nancy hissed.  "Your secret is safe withe me" Chyna said. "Good now lets get outside..." Nancy said.

Upon exiting they found Cap and Johnsey sitting on thier horses. "Im gone go visit Ma for a while...check on how she is coming along." Johnsey said. "Come on Chyna, its a long way." Cap called. Chyna gave Nancy a hug. "I'll be seeing you" Nancy said with a small smile. Chyna nodded and went to Cap, climbing onto Pardon.

"Ill just be gone a bit Nanc..." Johnsey said. "Take your time" Nancy said.

"How'd you get him to come?" Chyna whispered to Cap. "Used Ma's pregnancy...thst an' he just changed his mind." Said Cap as they road along. "I can hear you, ya know." Johnsey called out.

A few hours until sundown, Johnsey, Cap and Chyna made it back to the Hafield home stead, watching the old home sit on top the hill like a castle, surrounded by Blockades.

Inside the Hatfield elders sat at the Dinner table, holding a small counsel before dinner was served. Jim peered outside the window to make sure no one was sneaking around outside.

"Now, let me get this straight." Elias said picking around at him ham. "Randsl wants governor to make our governor arrest us and cart us or'r to Kentucky?" Elias asked, in his voice all could hear he was not buying it. "Yes its called extradition." Wall said.

"I don't think our Governor Wilson will agree to it." Anse uttered as Levicy placed, a loaf of bread snd more plates onto the table. "See, I got my own ace in this poker game." Anse said. Elias took a sip of his whisky and eyed the carfully carved Ham levicy placed upon the table.

"My friend John Floyd works with Wendy at the capital now." Said Anse with a air of confidence. "Yes, sir. Our new assistant secretary of state. John will help out." Wall chimmed in pouring up another shot of liqour while Anse opted to pour a tall glass of milk.

"Its Cap and Johnsey!" Jim said from his position as lookout. A chorus of whistles and bird calls sounded outside with their arrival. Anse gave a heavy long sigh "how do we handle this boy, Levicy?" He asked.  Levicy continued to set the table, her lips preshed together into a thin line. "Well, not by pushin' and pullin' him. Thats what drove him into the arms ofvanother McCoy." Levicy said bitterly.

Anse sighed again and looked into Levicycs eyes, she held a strong determinted gaze. "You wanna this knot?" She asked, placing down the cutlery and swivling her head in vendictive sass. "You get her to hate him." She said.

A idea lit up in Jim's head at Levicy's words and a curled smirk formed on his face. It was almost to simple of an idea, maybe thats why he never thought of it himself. "Get her to hate 'im huh?" He murmured.

Johnsey strolled in the front door with a sride not unlike a colt coming to age, full of himself but all for show. He didn't greet his family rather took a seat at the table and started filling up his plate with food.

The light in the home was becoming dim as the sun went down, Cap untangled his fingers from Chyna's hand as the stepped inside, Cap eyed Johnsey carefully before taking a seat at the end of the table near Jim.

"Sorry Ma'am, I can place the rest for ya" Chyna said, taking the remsining food items from Levicy's hands. "Its alright, jus a few more items. We'll be faster together." Said Levicy. Chyna nodded.

For a while the men sat in silence, Chyna glanced at Levicy. This wasnt a good start. "Take your hat off in here!" Levicy barked snatching off Johnsey's hat. Chyna quietly set the potatoes and collards on the table. Head down but seeing everything.

"Thank you, Ma" Johnsey muttered.  Wall leaned over to Johnseyb who seemed to be ignoring him as he plucked at the turky and the ham piling it onto his plate. "So hows being a married man doing?" Wall asked. "Doin' jus fine, Uncle Wall. Jus fine." Johnsey said stabbing at the ham.

"So marriahe suits you then huh?" Elias asked, Chyna tried to to chuckle as she watched them carry on like girls in verbal cat fight. Chyna poured Anse a glass of water and moved on to Wall. "Yes, sir. Right down to the ground." Johnsey's answers seemed to come out withought much thought as if planned and well rehersed. He avoided all eye contact with his elders.

Cap loaded up his own plate rolling his eyes a bit at his brother, here he was thinking Johnsey would start acting his age. "She must be one sorry ass cook." Jim muttered raising his glass of water " you choosing a ham supper over a comely McCoy bride?" Jim mocked taking a sip.

Chyna tried not to roll her eyes, and Cap smiled, glancing towards Chyna who looked disapproving he quickly stuffed his mouth to stop the chuckle that was on it way out. "Well now, she ain't a McCoy no more, is she? She's a Hatfield." Johnsey said, putting a bunch of bite behind his words.

Chyna filled Cap's glass full of water, he watched her while he ate and his blood boiled towards Johnsey. "Mrs.Johnsey Hatfield" Johnsey sneered, finally looking Jim in the eyes.

Cap shook his head, "Hatfield - aint jus' a name on some piece of paper." He said leaning over, speaching to Johnsey like scolding a child.  Thetwo brothers  watched each other, Cap leering lightly at Johnsey's careless expression. Levicy could feel another clash coming.

"Dont expect to bring her around here like the last one." Anse said slowly, tryingbhis best to not slap some sense into his son. "Things get spoke that ain't for McCoy ears." Anse added giving Chyna a warning glance. "The nig-" Johnsey stopped himself and glanced at Cap who was silently daring him.

"-the colored, is friend of Nancy. I dont see you puttin her out." Johnsey said. "Cause she's loyal to us, Hatfields, first and foremost. Its the history." Cap barked pointing his fork at him. Jim rolled his eyes and chose to shit this one out for now, letting out a sigh. To him both his grandnephews were crazy.

"Even still. I didn't bring her here, did I?" Johnsey snapped. Levicy waled behind him and gave her a hard wach to the back of his head "don't sass yur father." She warned. "Your philandering helped make this mess."

Chyna finished serving the food and gather plates for the children, who were all up stairs. "Please, you know what? I get ,nough grief at home." Johnsey said. "Only been married two days" Cap muttered stuffing a forkfull of turky and potatoes into his mouth. Chyna brudhed by him and quickly tugged at his hair.

Cap jumped slightly and leaned away from her. "Truth be told, I needed to grt away for a bit. It aint Nancy, Nsncy treats me just fine." Johnsey sighed. Chyna loaded up two plates full of food and headed up the stairs.

"Its her god dang brother that is turning my honeymoon into misery" Johnsey grummbled. Up stairs Chyna handed the two plates to Arvella and Sarah. "why come we can't go get our own food?" Robert E. asked highly annoyed. "Because grown folk is down stairs talking an, it aint mo buisness fr chil'ren." Chyna said.

Though really it was just an intervention of sorts, all talk of law, tatics and bounty hunters had ended some time ago. "Chyna, can you sneak me an extra roll? " Cotton asked. Chyna giggled, "I can try cain't I? Anyone else?" She asked but sarah and Arvella were already completely lost in thier food.

"If you could get away with an extra cut of ham..." hinted Tobert E. still unhappy with his confinement. He wanted to know what they were talking about. He was plenty old enough by now . Chyna gave a nod and a smile, heading back down stairs.

"Jefferson McCoy?" She heard Cap ask. "I heard he kiled a Mailman the other day." He said. Chyna carefully backed her way up the steps as soft and as silent as she could muster.

"Got a god dang reward up too." Johnsey sighed shaking his head. Cap and Jim fell silent, Elias held out his plate for Levicy to fill it with collards. "You're harboring a McCoy....with a price oh his head?"  Anse asked in a bitter disbelief. Chyna crepted back down the steps and moved busily about. She could feel Cap watching her, leering every so slightly.

Taking up two more plates Chyna started to fill them. Reaching towards the ham she cut free two slices stacked to look like one. "Nancy says its just for a while." Johnsey said. All eyes were currently on him, with this chance, Chyna swooped up two bread rolls onto a plate and headed for the stairs.

"Says its her duty to protect him." Johnsey explained, Cap looked towards his Pa who looked just as put off as he was.  "Well, loyal sis." Jim said chomp slowly and watched Johnsey with curious eyes. "How much is the reward?" He asked in a loud smack. Wall had remained silent in all this, just the thought of it all gave him a headache.

"I don't know, couple hundred maybe." Johnsey sighed.  Cap and Jim glanced at each other, which with one thing on thier mind and was how each would get 100.

"One extra roll and one extra slice of ham!" Chyna said handing over the plates with pride. Both boys dug in like starved animals "guess that means to thank you." Chyna giggled heading back down to gather a tray to bring water and milk up on.

After getting the children feed Chyna headed back down stairs exiting out to the back porch. "Hey - save you some." Cap called, closing the door behind he we went to the small table and sat the plate down before her. "Thank you" she said.

"Don't think this lets you get away, you seen Jefferson in that shack?" Cap asked. Chyna quietly munched on her food. "Did you know about that bounty?" He asked. "No, she didn't tell me that." Chyna mummbled. Cap gave a heavy sigh and sat down across from her.

"You won't go get him will you?" Chyna asked. Cap remained quiet "it's a lot of money Chyna, times is gettin tough for us, we still need supplies for the Cabin an' furnishings." Cap said slowly. "He is her only family letf. Randal won't wanna see her face no more after marrying Jounsey." Chyna said quickly.

"Wouldn't have to kill him, just catch him and bring him to the kentucky sheriff." Cap said. "He done murder, they gon hang him if you do! An you can't sit foot in Kentucky or you'll be hangin right next to him!" Chyna tried to reason. "Alright, alright...don't give yourself apoplexy 'bout this." Cap said trying to calm her down

Chyna went back to eating. "I get her Ma and Pa did a lot for you and your own Ma...but - Nancy ain't her parents. Somethin aint clear in the water." Cap warned only to find himself under Chyna's glare. Cap shok his head. "Just eat up..." Cap sighed. "But know im only out for whats best for ya....always - no matter what." Cap added.

Chyna couldn't stay mad, she gave a small nod. "I know, can't trust myself here to lately. I mean...i trusted Calvin." She confessed. "An' that cost you you're bedt friend an' my health." She muttered. Cap narrowed his eyes. "Calvin aint got the backbone of a flea. Aint no way he planned all that on his own, Im tellin ya - that woman had som-" chyna shut her eyes and clenched her fists.

"Nope, jus stop there Cap, go on to bed. Anse wants everyone to prepare to move deeper into the hills. Will be a early start." Chyna said quickly. Cap stood up and leaning over kissed Chyna on he nose. "Night, just don't let door hit you where the snake shoulda bit you on this. I can't add no body else to my list of hides to skin." Cap said in a tired sigh. Chyna watched im go back inside and looked down at her food.

"Somethin' bout all this, it smells bad enough to gag a maggot." Chyna murmured. "I hope he aint right..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 3.9K 59
Book 1 of 3. After being mistreated by his crack addicted mom and her boyfriend ice decided that it was time for him to move out and make a name for...
128 7 23
Crescent Bloodfang (Cress Fang) was kidnapped along with her twin Terrance (Terry) at a young age. They grew up living with a human couple, one didn'...
290K 17.5K 30
"Sir. I've done my job. Is there anything else?" I smiled cockily. "I specifically asked for a male driver, you're obviously a woman. I should get a...
352K 13.4K 46
Growing up in the hood isn't easy . Murders , shootouts , drugs , prostitutes and dope boys are normal . Imagine being sucked in the gritty at just s...