Little Riddle | James Potter

By anditivej

[ EDITING] James Potter was a skilled and talented wizard, his name a renowned one amongst Hog... More

PROLOGUE
• one
• two
• three
• four
• five
• six
• seven
• eight
• nine
• ten
• eleven
• twelve
• thirteen
• fourteen
• fifteen
• sixteen
• seventeen
• eighteen
• nineteen
• twenty
• twenty one
• twenty two
• twenty three
• twenty four
• twenty five
• twenty six
• twenty seven
• twenty eight
• twenty nine
• thirty
• thirty one
• thirty two
• thirty three
• thirty four
• thirty five
• thirty six
• thirty seven
• thirty eight
• thirty nine
• forty
• forty one
• forty two
• forty three
• forty four
• forty five
• forty six
• forty seven
• forty eight
• forty nine
• fifty one
• fifty two
• fifty three
• fifty four
• fifty five
• fifty six
• fifty seven
• fifty eight
• fifty nine
• sixty
• Where there used to be trees
• die Veränderung der Jahreszeiten
• Algún lugar que sólo nosotros conocemos
• La rivière coule en toi

• fifty

36K 1.2K 2.2K
By anditivej

warming my hands
on bridges I've burnt

"Nicholas Grindelwald?"

The Death Eater's jaw clenched at the name's mention, his gaze still menacingly set on Sirius. "I'll see you around, princess," he turned to Alexis, gently stroking the paralyzed girl's chin before exiting the corridor. Something about his demeanor, be it his tensed shoulders or long strides, gave away the burning anger he'd been trying to conceal.

Sirius looked petrified, even after Sean's footsteps could no longer be heard. His fair complexion somehow managed to turn even paler as he turned to look at Alexis with wide, horror-stricken eyes, finally releasing the breath he'd been holding. "Stay away from him," he muttered through gritted teeth.

He began to walk away but Alexis was able to react in time, gripping his arm and forcing him to turn and face her. "Why did you call him that? Who's Nicholas Grindelwald?" She asked with a slightly shaky voice, her eyes scrutinizing his facial features looking for some kind of answer.

"What did you think his name was?" He questioned in a whisper, a frown setting in between his eyebrows.

"Sean Lieberman."

Promptly, Sirius' eyes filled with a horror that unnerved Alexis' soul. Sirius had never been one to get easily intimidated, always putting on a brave front even on the most hopeless situations, so this was clearly a cause for concern. "Is that the same guy you said was now working with your brother?" He asked with a haggard voice. Alexis nodded in response, causing him to jerk his arm away from her grasp and slowly walk backwards. "Merlin help us all."

"Sirius," she stated firmly, clenching her hands into fists in an unsuccessful attempt to stop them from shaking. "You're scaring me."

Sirius swallowed hard before abruptly reaching for her arm, anxiously pulling her along as they bolted towards his dormitory, looking around every corner as they did so. The remaining three Marauders had been fast asleep, but their peaceful slumber had been unkindly interrupted by the disarray caused by Alexis' and Sirius' chaotic entrance. The boys were halfway through their complaints but all it took was one glimpse at Sirius' frantic state to know something was wrong.

"We're in trouble," stated Sirius.

"What are you on about?" Remus sat up, tiredly rubbing his eyes so they could adjust to the light. "Who's in trouble?"

"The Wizarding World."

"He always had a tendency to be quite dramatic," James sleepily muttered to himself as he reached for his glasses on the bedside table. "And why is that?" He asked Sirius, this time in a much clearer voice.

"Because Nicholas Grindelwald is back." Sirius vaguely explained as he pulled Alexis to his bed, getting her to sit down with him. "I'll explain, I promise. But first you need to tell me everything you know."

Alexis nodded, unable to hide just how startled she was beginning to feel. The name Grindelwald had never been affiliated with good things, and now the last thing she needed was to be associated with it on top of being Voldemort's little sister. "I don't know much about him," she told Sirius, hoping her sincerity was being noted. "I know he earned a pretty powerful rank in Tom's order. I'd even say he's up there with Bellatrix."

"Wait," Peter interrupted, raising a hand to get their attention, "who are we even talking about? Who is Nicholas Grindelwald?"

Sirius turned from Peter to Alexis. "What did he tell you his name was?"

"Sean Lieberman," she replied with a weak voice.

James and Remus sat up straighter, not quite understanding everything just yet, but knowing enough to make their assumptions. The bloke Alexis had briefly messed with had turned out to be a Grindelwald, and given Sirius' unnerved demeanor and bold statements, the worst was yet to come.

Sirius returned his gaze back to Alexis, pressing her to continue. "I really don't know much, Sirius. Only thing Tom told me was that he was from Wales and that his family died in a fire. Now, would you mind explaining what the fuck is going on? How do you even know him?"

Sirius took a deep breath, running his hands over his face with exasperation. "He used to attend some pureblood gatherings with his family. They always kept a low profile. For a while the only thing I knew about the bloke was that his grandfather had been Gellert Grindelwald's brother, and I knew that because he never stopped bragging about it. He was proud of what Gellert had done, whereas the rest of his family avoided even speaking about it."

"And are you sure that's him?" Remus questioned Sirius, sitting at the edge of his bed now. "Are you sure Sean is Nicholas?"

"You don't forget someone like that," he answered with a lowered voice and a dark look in his eyes, "not after what he did."

"Enough with the fucking cliffhangers!" Peter got up from his bed and stormed to Sirius', joining him and Alexis there. James and Remus followed suit, sitting on the ground next to Sirius' bed. "So get on with it, Black."

"After Dumbledore defeated Gindelwald his family basically disappeared from the radar, trying to stay away from all the controversy Gellert had caused. They attended various pureblood parties back in the day, but they were intent on staying inconspicuous, and the people there didn't necessarily like the idea of being associated with the Grindelwalds, so it was a win-win situation. It was basically a secret that stayed between the Grindelwalds and the Sacred Twenty-eight families, that's why what Nicholas did is not widespread information." Sirius paused to make sure everyone was keeping up, and upon noticing their entranced expressions he took that as his cue to go on. "But Nicholas had always been an odd bloke. His sinister ways stood out even amongst pureblood families, and that's saying something. With time it became clear he was obsessed with Gellert. And it was unmistakeable that he was upset with his family for being ashamed of the Grindelwald name. He always went on about honoring Gellert."

"No wonder he became a Death Eater," Remus muttered under his breath.

"Tom wasn't lying when he said Nicholas' family died in a fire," Sirius explained, "but I'm sure he forgot to mention it was Nicholas himself who started it."

Alexis' body tensed, her senses briefly stopped working as her mind involuntarily took her back to the memory of one of the few conversations she had with him. Sean Lieberman had once cheerfully shared the anecdote of back when he had stayed in Italy for the summer, vacationing with his family, pretending to fondly remember the memories. A shiver ran down Alexis' spine. He was a psychopath.

"He used fiendfyre," Sirius went on, "I was there. We were all there. The first time the Grindelwalds were hosting a dinner. We were chatting in the dining room but Nicholas kept being rude, talking back to some of the people and just acting downright maniacal. His father asked for a family regroup, and they all went upstairs to argue. Nicholas, his parents, and his younger brother and sister. They kept going at it, and Francis Selwyn, being the obtrusive bastard he is decided to peek in to have a look at the family drama. Next thing we know, he's rushing down the stairs, screaming bloody murder and telling everyone to run out of the house." The lad stopped briefly to take a deep breath, clearly dreading what was coming next. "Sure enough, whole place ended up in flames. He killed them all, his parents, his 10-year old brother, and 6-year old sister."

"And then he fled, I suppose?" James looked up at Sirius, a pitiful look taking over his features.

Sirius nodded. "When we stepped in to have a look he had already disappeared. And because everyone was too prejudiced to admit they had any relations with the Grindelwalds, they never told a soul. No one spoke about it, as if it never happened, letting that lunatic run free." He then reluctantly turned to Alexis, reassuringly squeezing her hand. "And now he's teamed up with Voldemort and that can mean either one of two things. He's either working with him to cause chaos beyond control or he's going to betray him, let him do the dirty job and then steal everything to gain immortality, just like Gellert wanted."

There was a much needed silence in the room that allowed everyone a minute to gather their thoughts, trying to make sense of the sudden turn of events that had yet again not worked on their favor. But in all fairness, hardly anything did. "We can't catch a break," James ran his hands over his face tiredly.

If it was possible for someone to become instantly smaller, Alexis wanted to take her chances. The shame and guilt she felt by her actions left her torn in between wanting to cry herself to sleep or punch herself in the face. She was now indirectly involved in a plan that could involve her own brother's demise and had turned her friends into a target. And it was all because of her sheer stupidity. So tremendously naive it had been of her, to place her trust on a stranger like that, unknowingly becoming just another one of his weapons.

She buried her face in her legs, knowing that her pout and distressed expression could no longer be concealed. A hand began to soothingly run up and down her back while another one gently played with her hair, offering a silent comfort. "I was so stupid. All this time I though I was being brave and strong, but in reality I was being nothing but weak and naive."

A tense silence took over the room, with the boys not wanting to agree nor deny her words. There was no way around it, she had screwed up bad this time, and the only thing left for them to do was help her take responsibility over her actions and keep her safe, above all else, keep her safe. It was James who found the courage to speak up, saying those five comforting words that ended up adding more pressure to the pain in Alexis' chest.

"We all make our mistakes."

-
Paranoia was a particularly difficult feeling to fight. Always having to look over her shoulder or hesitate before turning a corner, it was clear that Alexis wasn't feeling optimistic about her situation. There was always something luring just around the corner, waiting for her, an endless threat. And there was nothing she could do but wait.

By the time Saturday came around and Hogwarts' student body prepared for their scheduled Hogsmeade visit, Alexis had already prepared a speech she would try to nonchalantly deliver to her friends in which she would convince them to go on without her, subtly telling the boys to not mention anything to Ivy to avoid putting her in any danger.

She believed the castle, along with the comfort of her bed, were going to help her fool herself into believing she was going to be capable of having a perfectly normal day. She should've known better. She should've known that an empty room was far from being an adequate spot.

Yet again, she didn't know how he got in. But she could feel him, in a fraction of a second she could suddenly feel his presence. Waiting for a reaction, waiting for showtime. She calmly closed her book, impressed by her own steady hands, and sat up to face the intimidating figure standing a few feet away from her bed. Nicholas, as odd as it was to call him that, did not look too fazed to see her either. It was almost as if they both knew this was coming.

"I'm starting to rather dislike your surprise visits and get mortified by your entrances." She lifted her head high, speaking to him in a low and assertive manner. Just like Tom taught her to.

Nicholas snickered, clicking his tongue as he rearranged his stance. "Don't be like that, darling," he took slow, taunting steps towards her. "I see your friend already brainwashed you."

"Did he? Or did he tell me the truth you didn't want me to hear?" She taunted back.

"How do you know that's the truth?"

"Let's just say I trust his word more than yours." She carefully watched the way he moved around the room, gently touching some of her dorm mates belongings as he inspected them. "Call it loyalty if you want."

Nicholas threw his head back with a laugh. "You Riddles and your damn obsession with loyalty. You're adorable, did you know that?" He stroked her chin, speaking condescendingly as if she was a child. "I'm going to teach you a life lesson that your brother never bothered to: Loyalty will get you nowhere. For example, you were painfully loyal to that James Potter bloke, weren't you?" Aware of her intimidated state, he decided to further taunt her by joining her in bed, teasingly smiling as he unkindly reminded her of her relationship drama. "But what happened? Oh, right, he screwed you over. Left you for a girl he'd just met. Your loyalty wasn't worth much, was it?"

Alexis looked down, involuntarily giving in to his intimidating games. He knew of James' existence, and that alone was enough to make her blood turn cold. His presence next to her made her unable to conceal her emotions any longer, because the truth of the matter was that she was terrified.

Nicholas was enjoying every second of his little power-play, she could tell by his amused demeanor. "But luckily for you," he whispered slyly, leaning closer to her as he did so, forcing her to lean back as well. She shuddered when her back hit the bed and she found herself trapped under him. "You had me, didn't you, Lexi?" To make the situation even more traumatic for her, leaving her disgusted and violated, Nicholas began to lick her face. From her chin all the way up to her nose. "You fancied me, didn't you? I was a breathe of fresh air. I was your way of making James Potter pay."

The situation had rapidly slipped from Alexis' control, never having experienced such hopelessness before. She knew better than to duel him, knowing he was skilled in the Dark Arts and dueling him would be as much of a suicide mission as dueling Tom. And there was also no denying the fact that she was terrified, paralyzed by fear, because whoever this man really was, he was far from being in a sane mindset. All she could do was lay there and just take it, take the humiliation.

"Now, what we're going to do, princess," he squeezed her face and placed a kiss on her puckered lips, "is we're going to go for a walk. And if you try to get smart with me then," he ran his wand across her neck, a sinister grin playing on his lips that perfectly suited the madness reflected in his eyes.

For a second, Alexis wondered if she'd been put under the Imperio curse, although it didn't take long for her to realize she was acting out of sheer fear. There was something about Nicholas once he left behind the theatrics and stopped pretending to be Sean, something so maniacal and sinister. It wasn't just plain evil like Tom. The crazed look in his eyes and his erratic behavior made him look more like a mad man than evil mastermind. That's why she wasn't even attempting to defend herself. Nicholas Grindelwald was clinically insane.

Nicholas led the way to the seventh floor which, unluckily for Alexis, was completely deserted. He abruptly stopped in the middle of the corridor, standing behind her and wrapping his arms around her body as he whispered in her ear. "Now, dear, what you're going to do is you're going to tell me where Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem is."

Alexis froze. There was not one good reason for Nicholas to want that diadem. If Tom wanted it back he would've gone for a more subtle approach, so now it was clear that Nicholas was not acting by Tom's orders. She knew she had to protect that diadem with her life, knowing her brother's life depended on the well-being of his horcruxes. It didn't take a genius to assimilate that Nicholas was not a follower, and he certainly did not consider Tom his leader.

An advantage the Riddles had was that it was clear Nicholas, having never attended Hogwarts, did not know about the Room of Requirement nor how it functioned. And even if he did, the only person who knew the exact instructions to conjure the room was, unfortunately, Alexis.

"Where is it?" He whispered, his voice seductive but laced with a threatening tone. He teasingly nibbled at her earlobe while his hands ran up and down her body, touching places she didn't want him to touch. His lips began to explore her neck, and with no wand at hand and knowing he'd overpower her if she used wandless magic, she could do nothing but hold back her cries.

He suddenly spun her around so they were now chest to chest, and pulled her hair back so she was forced to look up at him. He continued uttering threat after threat, spitting on her face as he did so, giving Alexis no option but to listen and wait for a miracle. "Stop this, Alexis," he pulled her hair harder, causing a faint cry to escape. "We can make this easy, just tell me where it is and I won't kill you yet."

"Nicholas Grindelwald."

A commanding voice echoed through the corridor as Albus Dumbledore turned the corner with James Potter following behind. Nicholas' grip on her eased as he became entranced by Dumbledore's presence, filling him with rage and a burning hatred at the sight of the Headmaster. The man who ended Gellert Grindelwald, who dishonored his entire family. A loathing towards him had been growing inside of Nicholas for as long as he could remember, and now finally here he was, standing right before his eyes, Albus Dumbledore himself.

"Let the girl go and leave. You are not welcome here." The Headmaster spoke up with a firm yet oddly calm voice.

"And why would I do that, old man?!"

"Well, it seems like I was foolish enough to believe you wouldn't want to get hurt." Swiftly, Dumbledore reached for his wand and used it to get Alexis out of the way before commencing a duel.

James hurriedly helped her to her feet and led her down the flight of stairs, knowing that Dumbledore could look after himself. "I'm sorry," he muttered, struggling to catch his breath once they got to the fourth floor. "I know we never go to the adults, but I had to tell him. I could see how scared you were, and I was too. And we didn't know anything about this guy, we neede—"

Alexis cut him off by wrapping her arms around his neck, taking him completely off guard. "You saved me, you idiot."

James let out a breathy chuckle before awkwardly hugging her back. "Oh, and I didn't tell Dumbledore about your escapade. I made up some lie about Nicholas sending you odd letters, so if he asks, that's how you two met."

She sighed contently as she looked at him, finally allowing herself to really look at him, inspect him, admire him. It had been a while since she had any form of intimacy with James, not a hug or even a civil conversation, so his beautiful features and the smell of  him was very much welcomed. Her eyes involuntarily lowered to his lips, creating that magnetic attraction there had always been between the two, filling them with a desire to close any distance. She missed him, oh, how she missed him. But she held on to her morals and her composure, for the sake of her pride, and wished that somehow he could read her mind as it constantly repeated to itself 'Not yet, James, not yet.'

Luckily, their moment was interrupted by Dumbledore and three frightened Marauders. "He escaped," the Headmaster informed them, "but don't worry, Ms. Riddle, now that know his intentions we'll do everything in our power to keep you safe."

Alexis offered Dumbledore a grateful smile, wondering to herself why she didn't turn to the wise old man more often seeing as he always offered comfort and protection. Oddly, a burning sensation began to slowly spread through her upper body, making her frown as she inspected herself.

"Take your sweater off!" Remus urgently instructed, helping her get off the heating clothing item once he noticed the mild smoke coming out of it. Suddenly, the sweater exploded in flames that died down a couple of second later, leaving a note in a perfect state on top of the ashes that all five students and the Headmaster rushed to read.

I'll visit you during Easter break, princess.

Dumbledore cleared his throat, reaching down to take the note. "I'll be looking into that as well. Now, Mr. Potter, why don't you take Ms. Riddle to the Hospital Wing, while the rest of you boys come with me. I need you to help me with a thing or two."

-
A check up and a calming draught later, Alexis and James found themselves sitting side by side in one of the beds of the empty room. This time, much to her dignity's dismay, it was her turn to explain herself.

"I know it sounds mad that I even entertained Nicholas in the first place, but," she sighed, running a hand through her hair, "he'd been so charming at first. So charismatic and attentive, nothing like his true persona. And it is only now that I realize," she turned to him, their faces mere inches apart as he too took the opportunity to gawk at her, to savor the limited intimacy they were sharing.

"He'd been acting just like you because he knew that you're my weakness."

A/N:

I hope Nicholas is coming off as mad and maniac as I want him to. Boy's truly a psychopath.

Today is our dear James' birthday (where I live it's still March 27th) so happy birthday to that babe! Hopefully he gets his shit together soon ;) we all miss romantic James.

ALSO! I was looking at James' gif and at Alexis' picture in the header and they make a cute ass couple 😍👀

Question time! If Alexis wasn't a Slytherin, what House do you think she would be in?

I hope you liked this! ❤️ if you did please vote and comment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 264 50
The Marauders are enjoying their time Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Little do they know that Soviet wizards are assisting a man named T...
272K 7.9K 41
"I'm a monster." "No, you're not. Because if you are, then I'm one too." "Why? How could you say that?" "Because I'm a werewolf too." Jasmine Cooper...
859K 20.5K 87
Y/n L/n is starting her first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She meets many new friends, but there are 4 people she would call h...
12.9K 584 21
Remus Lupin's life is miserable. He was bitten by a werewolf at the age of five causing his lycanthropy and as a result ostracisation from both the w...