Started as His Tutor

By KawaiiRilakxKuma

Wendy has a plan for high school. Find a few friends, pass her classes, and graduate with no drama. It works... More

Gummy Worms
Homecoming
Lies and Fries
Hammers
Soup
Ballads and Piggybacks
Truth or Dare or Drink
Not a Friend
Octopus
Sleeping Beauty
Allergies
Wilbur
Boundaries
Selfish
False Hope
Ambiguous
Wants in Winter
Someone Like Me
Cold
Pillow
Turtle
Swan
Double Date
Damage Done
Honest
Remnants
Oblivious
Cupid
Decisions
Prom
Perfectly Imperfect
Birthday Present
Wet Koala
Charlotte
Sequel
REAL QUICK QUESTION

Dense and Denser

16.3K 716 257
By KawaiiRilakxKuma

Spring  break rolled by fast. After the lake gathering, I spent my days studying for the ACT and SAT, which has got to be the most boring week of my life.

Since everyone is on edge, the school decided to give us a field day the Friday after break. I wish I can say this is stress-relieving, but it isn't. Now that I am president of the cooking club, I am responsible for planning nearly everything-- our booth, what we were going to sell, what we needed to make, how much stuff we needed to buy. It is a complete nightmare.

"That is a lot of backdrops." I stare in awe at the plethora of wooden stands painted with intricate scene of 1950s diners, underwater sea, planets in the galaxy, and plenty more.

"Yeah. The cheer team partnered with the art club. They painted all of this. We're going to be dressed in cute costumes and the photography club is taking Polaroids. It's sorta like a photo booth," Ally explains.

"That's cute."

"I had to beg my cheer coach to let me be in the hula skirt and for Carson to be a crab ."

"It's super hot out. Are you sure Carson is okay with being in a stuffy crab costume?"

"Well, when I told him we might be doing a kissing booth, he totally freaked out. If anything, he's relieved," she giggles.

"I would swing by the take a picture, but I think I've third-wheeled enough to last a lifetime," I laugh.

"Ooh, I better change soon."

"Yeah, I have to tend to my booth too."

Ally waved to me as she excited walked off with the rest of the cheer team, each with a costume in hand.

I make my way towards our bustling booth. In one corner, we have a row of coolers for the frozen, pre-piped churros- since frying them fresh was already a struggle for most of the club members. Another was full of spiraled potatoes, which was still uncooked. We were able to get four cheap fryers from a closing restaurant nearby. There's a table for the churro sweet toppings- syrups, sprinkles, fruits, candy- all if which were given to me by Ms. Ann. The adjacent table with savory toppings like salt, pepper, hot sauce, bacon bits, and a running nacho cheese machine for the chips. The last table was multiple coolers of different favors of lemonade- lemon, strawberry, peach, and raspberry. For a register, we went with a dingy plastic organizer from the nearest dollar store, feeling guilty for spending so much money prepping for everything else.

"Are the fryers working?" I check.

"Yep, they seem fine," confirms Kelly.

"The cheese machine?"

"Yep."

"The coolers are chilled?"

"Yep."

"The toppings are good?"

"Yep."

"We have enough?"

"Yep."

"Oh my gosh, we forgot napkin!"

"Wendy, calm down. It's fine. We have lots in the club room. I'll go later to get them."

"Sorry, I'm just worried since it's my first time running something. If this is a bust, it's all my fault."

"Everything is perfect, Wendy. You did a great job. The food looks great," Kelly pats me on the shoulder and leaves to get the napkins.

I start assigning people to their stations and showing them how to operate as a team. The most difficult was picking people who actually knew how to work a fryer and fully cook the food without completely burning our booth down. I leave a clipboard, next to the dingy organizer, with a schedule for when each person could take a break and enjoy the fair. Slowly, the field day began and people started to line up. Luckily, I prepared a few batches of the chips and churros ahead of time to help the booth get into the rhythm of frying in a timely manner.

"Hey, Wendy." Ally motions for me.

"I'll be back guys. Think you guys can handle things?"

"Yep," the reply in unison, staying busy with running the booth.

I jog over to find Ally and Carson busy with posing in front of their backdrop.

"Hey," I try to subtly let it be known of my presence.

"Wendy, I'm so glad you're here. Would you mind covering for me? The other girls got sick, and Carson and I want to take a look around," Ally explains.

"Yeah, sure. Go and have fun you lovebirds."

"Let's go. I'll give you my outfit," she starts to drag me away, but I stop.

"Wait, I have to wear the outfit? I thought I was just going to watch the backdrop."

"Why would I want you to watch the backdrop?"

"So no one vandalizes it..." My tone dies as I realized how dumb I sounded.

"Don't worry. You'll look super cute," Ally squeals.

"Can't I be the crab?" I whine.

"No, Vincent is."

"Wait, Vin-"

"I can wear the hula skirt," Vincent joins in.

"You're okay with it?" Ally looks surprised.

"Yeah. Wendy doesn't like dresses or skirts. As long as she doesn't mind the stuffy crab."

"I don't." I nod earnestly to avoid wearing the grass skirt.

"Okay, fine. Follow me inside. I'll change out of the skirt and you can wear it. Hopefully it fits." Ally and Vincent retreat inside while Carson starts to wiggle out of his costume.

"That was awful," he sighs. "Are you sure, Wendy? You're literally going to be steamed crab in this thing." Carson holds up the sweaty and red abomination.

"I'll take my chances with the crab."

After managing to get my costume on, Vincent finally emerges with Ally.

He seems to have managed to fit into the grass skirt. Though, what was below the knees for Ally has become a mid-thigh hem for Vincent. His chest is bare, only slightly covered by the lei made from colorful plastic cutouts of flowers. Seeing Vincent, many girls rushed to get in line for pictures. Soon, the line for the beach backdrop was the longest.

"You look crabby," Vincent smiles.

"You look grassy," I return.

"Is it hot in there?"

"Yep. Probably should've taken off my sweater, but too late now. This thing was harder to get into than I expected. What about you?"

"I can feel the breeze," Vincent grins.

"You have something under that grass skirt, right?"

"Yep, shorts. Why?" Vincent suddenly makes a dramatic gasp. "You're such a pervert, Wendy," he teases. Though, my face still gets red. Luckily, it fits in with my red crab costume.

With each picture, the girls get closer and more touchy with Vincent- grabbing his arms and giggling profusely. Maybe I was getting too much into character, but if my claws worked, I would be pinching every one of them.

"Um, you're kind of frowning," the photographer says.

"Oh, sorry," I try to smile but it only turns into a grimace.

"It's fine. It makes sense for a crab to be crabby. I get what you're trying to do," he nods, taking the picture and then handing the printed photo to the girls. I didn't purposely do so, but I let him believe it.

After an hour, Ally and Carson finally return, releasing me for, this hell. I couldn't tell what was worse- baking myself alive or watching a line of people ogle at Vincent.

"Thanks for covering," Ally helps me take off my dangling claws.

"No problem. I should be getting back to my booth," I sigh. I try to outrun Vincent, but it's faster for him to kick off a grass skirt, take off a lei, and pull on a t-shirt. Hurrying, I try to get back to the booth.

"Hey, Wendy. It's time for your break," Kelly says.

"What do you mean? I was just on it."

"You were covering for your friend so it's an exception. Go and have fun."

"No, it's -"

"Great, that means I can steal Wendy from you guys," Vincent catches up with me.

"Go ahead. We got everything handled," Kelly nods. "Oh, and take some snacks."

She hands us some churros and chips.

"What lemonade?"

"Regular and strawberry. I'll pay for them later," I reply.

"No worries. Everyone in the club got a freebie."

"Oh, okay. Thanks." I hand the regular lemonade and chips to Vincent, who automatically follows me to sit somewhere in the grass without me telling him to do so. It's like he's wired to understand my every move.

"You didn't want any toppings?" He asks.

"No, I know you like things plain. You're so basic." My tone was a bit blunt, but Vincent seems to be happy by my words suprisingly,

We eat in silence for a while, like most times when we do eat together. As always, Vincent usually says something to break it.

"What was that about?"

"What?"

"The photo thingy. You were frowning the whole time."

"It was hot."

"You could've worn the skirt then."

"No, I wouldn't have looked as good in it."

"You think I looked look in it?" A larger smile began to emerge.

"That's beside the point. It's ironic how girls can't show shoulders but you, a male, could be shirtless."

"So you were upset I was shirtless."

"Yes...No... I'm just pointing out unfair school policies."

"So do you want guys to not be shirtless or for girls to be able to?"

"Forget I said anything. I was just trying to be in character. You know, a crabby crab."

"Really? Cause I think you were a jealous crab."

"I was not jealous," I scoffed. "Why would I be?"

"I'm teasing you," Vincent sighed. Though, his face dropped and he turned away.

"Gosh, it's hot." I started to peel of my hoodie but my shirt started to crawl up with it. Vincent gently held down the hem for me. "Thanks..."

"Yep..." He quietly coughed afterwards.

"Well, I still got forty minutes. Might as well do something. Wanna walk around with me?"

"Yeah, sure."

We threw away our trash and left my hoodie behind the booth alongside everyone else's belongings.

Walking around, Vincent and I were not sure what to do. Suddenly, we  got pulled aside align with a few other people. The track coach coughed a few times before turning on the mic.

"We are going to have a friendly competition. These couples are going to have a piggy back race. Winner gets a prize that will be revealed later! So, gather around the track and watch!"

He clicked off the mic and turned to the group to briefly explain the event.

"So, one person per partnership is going to carry the other. Don't drop them. Whoever makes a whole lap first wins. Pretty simple. Have fun."

We awkwardly turn to each other, each still a bit weary about what is going on.

"I think you should run. You're in track after all," I suggest. "Unless you want me to-"

"Yeah, I'll carry you."

"Cool..."

"Cool..."

"Get in your positions people," the coach yelled, directions for us to the starting points,

Vincent kneels down so I'm able to climb on. I wrap my arms around his neck and he hooks his arms under my legs. The memories from fall break seems to wash over me, and the familiarity of it all seems to have been just yesterday when it all happened.

"Ready, go!"

Vincent starts to bolt, my wandering mind takes time to readjust to the present. Almost as quick as it started, it ended.

"Congrats to Vincent!" the coach cheers. "You two just won a couple of free tickets to prom!" He hand us each a slip of paper. "We will start selling them today. If you are a junior or senior who is interested, there is a booth at the front of the school. It is only $70 per person."

"You were really fast," I say awkwardly.

"Thanks."

"Well, I better get back to my booth."

"Oh, ok," Vincent nods.

"Bye. Thanks...for this..." I wave the prom ticket.

"Thanks for being my partner..."

"Well, you did all the work so..."

Our conversation slowly died as we walked away. Giving Vincent a last glance, I tucked the ticket into my back pocket and got back to the booth.

From then on, it was a long struggle. It was a bit exciting when Evelyn, Olivia, and Vivian stooped by. But, it was boring the rest of the time. The booth ran out of food, I had to prep more inside the school and someone would run inside to give me empty trays and brings out filled ones. By the end of the day, I was covered in flour, lemon juice, and potatoes peels, with both hands so cramped they looked a little lime crab claws. The club split into two groups. One to clean up the booth and others to clean the supplies and prep room. It was already dark by the time we finished. Every one else had pretty much already left, but it was worth it. We raised more than the last fives years of fundraising combined during the fair.

I reach into my pockets for my keys, but they aren't there. Panicking, I try to remember where I placed them. However, I am only met with the realization that I came to school with Ally, who had already left. Guess I'm walking. I'm making my way through the parking lot when a single dark silhouette catches my eye and makes me yelp.

"Wendy, it's me," Vincent steps forward so the street lamp illuminates his face. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"What are you doing still at school?"

"Ally said you needed a ride."

"How long did you wait?"

"Not long." His furious head shaking said otherwise.

"Well, thanks. I get nervous walking in the dark."

"I have my bike, if that's alright."

"That's perfect. I need some breeze or I'll have nightmares about the stuffy crab costume," I laugh.

We climb on and Vincent heads in the direction of my house. I feel some disappointment he didn't take a detour, so I take some initiative.

"Do you mind if we stop by the park? I kinda want to sit outside for a bit."

Vincent nods and pulls over. We make our way to the creaky, wooden bench and sit on it. The place is so quiet and empty our breaths almost seem to echo.

"Are you going to use your prom ticket?" I ask.

"Probably not. Not prepared to be rejected like I was for homecoming."

"Really? I think I'm going to ask someone."

Vincent's head whips up. "Who?"

"I didn't realize it, but I liked him for a while now."

"Oh..." Vincent's head drops.

"He's really cool and nice. He's actually kinda dorky now that I think about it. He's so smart, but I don't think he realizes it."

"Hmm..."

"I'm kind of nervous though, I hope he accepts."

"He'd be an idiot not to," Vincent says in almost a whisper.

"I think I should-"

"I'm going to go. I think I just got rejected again without even trying," Vincent says bitterly, throwing me off-guard. He turns to me and opens up my palm, slapping his prom ticket onto it. "Here, now you don't have to worry about buying another ticket. Hope it works out," Vincent huffs, shoving his hands into his pockets and stomping off.

"Vincent, wait-" I dive and wrap my arms around his stomach from behind, pressing myself so hard against him that my cheek was compressed against he back. I didn't loosen my embrace, afraid he would keep walking away. 

"You call me dense, but you're denser!" I yelled.

"Wendy-"

"No, hear me out. If I don't say this now I don't think I'll have the guts later on."

I wait for a confirmation, which I could feel Vincent head move in a nod.

"Ever since I started to tutor you, I think about you randomly, and it drives me crazy. I could be napping and your face random pops up in my mind. But Vivian liked you so I had to force myself to pretend I only saw you as a friend. But you're like a virus to me. I try to build up some resistance to you, and it works for a bit, but you come back stronger and stronger. There's no cure for you. Jeez, I'm so dorky for using this as an analogy but my mind is blanking right now."

Realizing Vincent was walking away anymore, I let my grip on him loosen.

"I felt like my chest was going to burst open whenever I saw you. Like there was a hammer in me. This sounds so cliche, but it did feel like that. I was trying so hard to bury it all of it, so I wouldn't hurt anyone. But I ended hurting everyone, including you...and myself. I had to bury every sweet thing you ever said or did but it would come back at least once everyday. I replayed our kisses so many time I feel like it's on loop in my mind. Gosh, what am I saying? This is so embarrassing."

Vincent spun around and hooked me by the waist, his palm cupping the side of my face and tilting it up so that I looked directly at him.

"I'm going to be selfish for once," I murmered.

"Then do it."

I got on my toes, my hands reaching for his shoulders. Vincent supported me, steadying me by the waist and letting his hand glide to the back of my hair, slipping his fingers in between my hair. Pressing my lips onto his, his head tilted in response. Letting my arms wrap around his neck, Vincent lifted me up even more, our locked lips getting deeper. Every pull was followed by a push, as if we were both afraid that it would end for ever once we stopped. Eventually, we had to pull away to catch our breath, but our foreheads were pressed together and nose brushing when we exhale.

"I like you, you idiot," I murmer.

"Ditto."

"Vincent Miller,"

"Hmm?"

"Will you go to prom with me?"

*****
Finally! Sorry for the long wait. I wanted this chapter to be prefect. I also have AP tests coming up that I have to study for, so updates will be slow and irregular :( I will try not to leave you guys on such a long cliffhanger though. Hope this chapter was enjoyable!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

160K 7.5K 37
[sequel to Fools] Noah and Sam are happy and in love... and living an hour away from each other while Sam enters his senior year of high school and...
194K 13K 60
Miss Popular on the outside, pure tomboy on the inside. Summer Winters is exactly that ─ hence the contrast in her name. At school she's the gorgeou...
6.2K 727 37
Ishqi has a simple plan for high school: make a few friends, pass her classes, and graduate without any drama. Things go smoothly for her in the firs...
138K 3.7K 14
While managing to remain unnoticed throughout her years in school Jeanne Miller can't help but feel that she's missing out on something great. Being...