Moving forward (SasuSaku)

By miiickyyoung

We're all happy nonetheless, after the war everything seems to return to normal-- The way it used to be. Wh... More

Ino's drunken state
Annoying
Mission
Don't Go
Darkness
Promise
Unnecessary
No Reason
What are you doing, Sasuke?
Emeralds
Tsukuyomi
If you were to stay with me
World of Unknown
It All Ends Here.
Sequela
Night terrors
Medical Research

Check-up

23.7K 492 97
By miiickyyoung

Promises.

If I get to hate one word, that's got to be it.

It takes an emotional devastation than a physical damage once broken.

It takes a few minutes to say a promise but it will possibly take a lifetime to hold on to it--that holding too much on that promise is the only thing that will keep you going until the end.

But I guess that is the way it goes. One person did fulfill his promise of a lifetime after all.

Naruto--That baka!

We are all happy nonetheless, after the war everything seems to return to normal. The way it used to be.

What do you mean? Like Sasuke was not here. I heard my inner self interrupting my little thoughts.

'It's not that!' I argued inside my head

Everything was reconciled after the war.

We won, triumph for all who seek one goal--peace. Sasuke was back in the village after his last battle with Naruto.

After saying my confession for the second time.

Even though I only got a genjutsu as an answer. I was glad that he is really back.

The Daimyo gave suggestions during that meeting regarding what punishment the lone Uchiha should receive after his defection from the village and siding with the enemy. The feudal lord was laughing while he read the entire possible sentences against him.

In the end, it was Naruto and Kakashi-sensei's words that convinced the council to forgive him and give him the second chance.

I' am very happy that we are all together in the village again.

Well it really shows, by the way you declined those invitations Naruto have asked for a team 7's Ichiraku time...

There goes my inner again, sometimes she is my strength, sometimes she is the skeptic, sometimes she agrees with me, sometimes not--well the latter is the current mood.

'I was busy that time, medical stuffs' I reasoned out.

How about the time you choose to accompany another team's B-class mission over team 7's A-class mission.

'Inner! That was a team full of genin, and I assigned Yume as the team's medic she needed field training....' I explained. Well, my little thought earlier is now getting somewhere I'm never fond of.

Except that was an escort mission for a man that's afraid to travel by himself... nothing Kiba or those kids can't handle. Come one Sakura. You really are avoiding him.

'Ugh!' I can feel my frown as I walk through the street going to the hospital. Thinking of why I need to fight with myself regarding the things I' am doing.

Don't think he doesn't care about you when all of you were fighting side by side during the war-

"Ouch!" I blurted as I bumped into someone I was not able to sense. I never knew I was immersed into thinking with myself that I am unable to sense...him

I froze as I heard an audible sigh. Probably for my stupidity.

"I did not see you there, Sasuke." I help myself up before her could offer his. Standing tall in front of me, I watch him grab his weapon pouch from the ground.

Sasuke-kun!

That dearest suffix was long gone, I promised myself not to use it anymore. Though there is still this urge to say his name the old way, I brush it off easily... just...just to forget the feelings.

As I look at him, any signs of staying under Orochimaru's lair can no longer be traced when his fight with Naruto ended. He now wears blue long-sleeved clothes with the proud Uchiha insignia at the back matching his dark pants.

"Where's Naruto?" He suddenly asked with his usual tone. No emotion, not even sharpness in his voice... just the Sasuke that I know of.

And he could have asked more nicely.

"I actually have no idea." I responded reaching the schedule board I dropped when I bumped into him. However, he beats me this time, I saw his hand picking it up and I dreaded the thing he was about to see.

Uh-huh, never good in lying.

"Number one, Uzumaki Naruto failed to complete the annual exam last year." he read aloud.

"Really?" I raised my eyebrow as he look at me questioningly, "I haven't done any reading on who will be my patients today." That was the plausible excuse I only have in my mind right now and I hope it works.

"I will tell him that you were looking for him." I cautiously retrieve the board from him as I notice that he was not planning to give it back anytime soon.

With that being said, I resume my way to the hospital without looking at him.

"Don't bother." I heard him say and Sasuke was already trailing behind me.

Don't tell me he will join us.

We walked in silence, good thing the hospital was just less than ten feet away, saves us more time for awkwardness.

To be honest, my Inner self was right. I was avoiding him. We have not talk since the war- -not since I fell under his genjutsu. I cannot understand why he keep on pushing me away, why is he rejecting everyone and why it took almost both him and Naruto to be on the brink of death just to knock some senses in him.

Probably it is better this way.

"My office is at the third floor to the left KH311, I just need to collect some report." I said as we arrived at the reception. "Please tell Naruto that I will be there in a few minutes."

He gave me a slight nod before walking to the said direction.

"That was close." I muttered as soon as I'm sure that he is no longer near the area, silently hoping that he already left the hospital once I get to my office.

"Ne, Akira-chan it's just a checkup." it was a voice belonging to a man that echoes through the deserted hallway.

I then heard a small sniff and sobs as I turn down the hall, Akira? Seems familiar.

"Nii-chan, I don't want injections." it was a plea from a young girl sitting on the ground. The boy whom I believe is her brother was holding her hands, coaxing her to stand up.

"I'm alright now, we can skip hospital and you can tell otou-san we are done." the girl added.

Her nii-chan just laughs at her idea.

"You should finish this checkup. Besides, it is Haruno-san who is assigned to you."

Upon hearing my name I automatically look at my schedule, Akira Okawa my second patient. Checking my time, I realized they should not be here for at least another thirty minutes.

"You mean the pink haired pretty lady?" Akira asks with excitement in her voice.

"I hope that pretty pink haired lady you were talking about is me." I said, smiling to both of them as they turn to me in surprise.

"Haruno-san." the boy who looks the same age as mine bowed his head. I bowed in exchange of his gesture.

"You are Sakura-chan..." Akira murmured whose eyes were sparkling from the discovery "You are so pretty!"

"Thank you, sweetie. You would want to get up Akira-chan you might get some dirt from the floor." I stated offering a hand which she joyfully accepted.

"A-ano... we are here early, we will wait at the cafeteria until it's time for her checkup." the boy said scratching the back of his neck.

"If you want you can join me at my office right now, my first patient will only take five minutes." Glancing at Akira, admiring how adorable she is with her arresting blue eyes.

They waited patiently as I talk to the other nurse and get reports for the conditions of admitted patients under my care. It seems that everything will be fine--if Naruto will cooperate just fine.

A note pinned at the door greeted me as we arrived in front of my office. Without a doubt, I already knew whose messy handwriting it is.

Sakura-chan

Teme is treating me breakfast at the cafeteria be back in ten!

Naruto

Just one of his delaying tactics, last time he told the medic in-charge that his frogs called him for a mission to Kami-knows where.

"Your office smells nice!" Akira complimented. It was either the scented candle or the countless flowers left by some people.

Speaking of flowers, I have been getting tons of it lately, with their confessions and promises of 'undying' love towards me. It actually made me think of how annoying I am to Sasuke back then. How could a child as young as Sasuke back then handled these kind situation anyway? With constant young girls following him around and trying to get his attention, that was really bothersome.

"Thank you, Akira-chan. My first patient is still not here, I will start with you then."

One of the perks of being the Godaime's apprentice is having my own office. The size of the room is just average, where a bed, table and mini-lounge could fit in, where I can conduct a proper checkup with my patient, where I can rest when my eight hours of shift is not enough and where I can comfortably sit and stare at Konoha's skyline.

"Ah--" I started without knowing how to call the brother of my patient.

"Jiro, you can call me Jiro." he offered, probably noticing my dilemma.

"Jiro-kun," I said as I lean forward his sister, checking her temperature with my hands. "Can you give me some details how Akira-chan is doing for the last three days? While I'm getting my things ready."

"I was really sick the other day and-" Akira started but suddenly stopped by his brother as he placed his hands on her shoulders."

"Now, Akira-chan, what did Otou-san told you about answering questions?" he asked calmly.

"Not to answer if not asked." she pouted and sat beside Jiro again.

He smiled. Though it was not directed to me, it feels welcoming and gentle.

Sometimes I wonder how it feels to have a brother and wish I have one who will smile at me warmly and scold me whenever I've done something wrong.

"Gomen, Haruno-san,"

"Just call me Sakura, that's fine. No need for formalities." I said before he can say another word.

He smiled for the again but unlike the first one, it is now for me. Judging by the gentle curves of his lips as our eyes locked, I can easily tell that he is a very kind person.

Maybe someone I could fall into if things were different—

Wait! What?!

I smiled back at him before the sudden thought shows through my facial expression and proceed to prepare the things I need for the checkup.

"As Akira-chan was saying she was sick for a couple of days, fever it is. She will be fine for a few hours but then her fever will come back..."

Motioning his sister to settle on the bed, I continue listening as he explains her condition. Carefully going over my mind in what is the cause of Akira's fever.

Like with my other patients, we engaged in a small conversation. But unlike with the others, there were no dull moment of silence. I can see how both of them love telling stories, they start bickering around whenever Jiro says something that seems to embarrass Akira-chan. As our little talk progress, Jiro told me that their father was once a shinobi from Earth country before his sister was born. Proudly saying that he retire to protect his family and decided to reside in Konoha.

"Okaa-san sells beautiful necklace!" Akira said in delight. His brother then tells me that their mother is a merchant that travels from one village another but currently staying at her cousin's estate in Earth country to take care of some business.

With my hands glowing, I examine Akira's little frame once more so that I can finally write the right medical prescription to boost her immune system. I'm almost done when I notice that Jiro was looking at my hands intently.

"Something wrong?" I asked snapping him out of his daze state.

"Ah-uhm, no... It's just your hand when it glows I'm mesmerized."

I laughed. I never thought that my healing chakra was mesmerizing.

"You're the first one who said that."

"I actually love the color--green. It's my favorite." he said quietly and I can feel he slightly embarrassed with what he just said.

"It figures." I glanced at him. "There you go Akira-chan, you will be fine in a day or two."

"Arigatou Sakura-chan." little Akira said as she bowed.

"You're welcome." Patting her head lightly I went to my table and start writing my prescribe medicine for Akira.

"Onii-chan I need to pee." It's a pleading tone from Akira.

"It will only take a second Aki- oh wait!" It was only the sound of the door closing that cut Jiro from his protest.

"Here." I finally said, moving to his place as I hand him the note to explain his sister's condition as well. "Nothing is serious though. She just needs to eat lots of nutritional food for her immunity."

The door suddenly open, assuming it was Akira and was not able to see the wash area just few steps along the hallway.

"You can visit next week so we can check the improvement, Jiro-kun and Aki-"

I was loss for words as I realized that Akira was not present in the room, it was rather Naruto and Sasuke. Both of them looking at me and eyeing Jiro questioningly.

"Ne, Sakura-chan who is he?" Naruto asked as he walks inside the office, hands at the back of his head.

I raised my eyebrow and shot him a death glare. This baka will never learn.

"He is Jiro." I walk to Jiro's side to escort him out of the office and start the deal with the Naruto.

Jiro made a salute gesture toward Naruto and smile, "It's nice to come in face-to-face with our hero."

With those words I know Naruto's pride swell up.

"Nah!-"

"Are you ready for the test?" I asked Naruto before he could come up with an arrogant statement for Jiro and with that he froze from where he stands.

"I'll be going then, Sakura. Thank you." He bowed and slowly closed the door. Leaving me with the two of the most problematic shinobi.

"Who is that Sakura-chan?" Naruto asked the second time

"I told you, it's Jiro-kun!" I answered exasperatedly. "And how many times I told you to knock before you enter?!"

"Did we interrupt something?" It was Sasuke and I was surprise that he even manage to say words aside from his grunt expression.

"No!" I said defensively and cross my arms.

Now everyone is curious, what is the big deal about?!

"What about those 'Jiro-kun' I never heard you say those suffixes since-"

Giving Naruto the look that says 'don't you dare go to that part', he is risking his life if he will continue to say the things I know he would say.

"...since-since...forever!" He stammered. "It's too early to entertain your suitors, Sakura-chan."

"Kami! He was just here to accompany her sister! Besides I just met him and I don't need to do some explanation." I huffed and get a vial for Naruto's blood sample.

Trying to be discreet with my movement as possible, this baka fears needles. What a tragic story, this was the last part he missed the last time. If I can just distract him from this needle I was about to shot, I will save time with this burden.

"Can you take a sit now I need to check your vital first and extend your right arms forward?"

"You're not tasked to do some injections, aren't you?" Naruto asked, doing what I instructed him to do.

"...but he is quite interesting". I said, trying my luck to pre -occupy him from his phobia.

"D'you hear that, teme?" he pointed at Sasuke. "Our Sakura-chan likes someone! I knew something was up when I realized I was still standing in my feet without knocking..."

I let him talk, looking for a vein as he did. Though it's kind of hard when he do a little movement while talking.

"We got the same taste in color. He loves green. ." And there I found it. I immediately shot the needle to his skin and blood starts to fill the little vial.

"...and you even call him 'Jiro-kun'." Naruto pointed out again. Not really knowing on how big deal adding that certain suffix with their names.

Because it's only for Sasuke-kun. A thought passed my mind.

I just need to call him Jiro-kun to match my phase with Akira-chan. However, Naruto is right. I haven't added that suffix anyway, not since Sasuke.

I'm almost done when he spared a glance to his arms and took a second look to realize what I was doing. Silently thanking that I extracted enough blood before he fainted.

"Dobe." Sasuke was smirking seemingly enjoying what he just witness but I immediately look away as he was about to face my direction.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.5K 2.5K 27
{Sakura Haruno Fanfiction} No longer is she a Konoha kunoichi, but now an S-rank rogue. Her sacrifice leading others to believe that she is nothing...
543K 16.2K 38
Three lonely years has passed since Sakura Haruno last seen her long-time crush. And after Sasuke left the village, he finally came back for an unkno...
11.1K 373 4
"We're just good friends." Sakura would normally answer when asked. Nothing more, nothing less. For her, as long as they are both comfortable with e...
4.1K 438 74
After a major mission went horribly wrong, the Leaf shinobi were ordered to retreat and abandon those left behind, even if it meant leaving teammates...