Golden Storms | #Wattys2020

By highdisdain

WINNER OF READERS CHOICE AWARDS 2020 (Historical Fiction) Stone hearts. Silver to gold. And the fierce nee... More

Golden Storms
Character Mood Boards
Prologue
1. T H E L A S T D A N C E
3. A J N A B E E
4. M Y T H S
5. I N T I Z A A R
6. D A W N
7. A R R I V A L
8. F I R S T L O O K
9. R E J E C T I O N
10. R O A D S
11. W O U N D
12. R E F L E X E S
13. M E R R I M E N T
14. R E S C U E M I S S I O N
15. T R A P P E D
16. A D V E N T U R E S & T R U T H S
17. T H E D E S E R T
18. P O S S E S S E D
19. D A R K N E S S
20. B U R D E N S
21. C R O S S R O A D S
22. M I S S I N G
23. D O V E
24. C H A S E - P A R T ١
25. C H A S E - P A R T ٢
26. C A U G H T
27. B R I T T L E
28. D U O
29. S N A K E
30. W A T C H D U T Y
31. I N S U R A N C E
32. B A N D I T S
33. N I G H T
34. R E T U R N
35. T H E D E A L
Sequel
Readers Choice Awards

2. F A M I L Y

15.8K 1K 111
By highdisdain

A/N: Hope you all enjoy this chapter! Just getting to know some of the characters a little better. Please do comment your thoughts and vote if you enjoyed reading!

"waqt ki qaid mein zindagi hai magar
chand ghadiyaan yehi hain jo aazaad hain
inko kho kar mere jaan-e-jaan
umr bhar na taraste raho
aaj jaane ki zid na karo

life is trapped in the prison of time
but these are the few moments that are free
by losing them, my beloved
let's not have a life of regret
tonight, don't insist on leaving"

- Farida Khanum, Aaj Jaane Kee Zid Na Karo.

"You do not think with a cool mind, ya Falaq"

Falaq ignored Ustadh's words as she ferociously sparred with Ibrahim. Couldn't be wait to give her criticism after? Her focus had to be on Ibrahim's every meticulous move- losing to him or to anyone else always humiliated her greatly. She hated losing. She hated being nervous or scared about anything. Falaq always had to be in control of herself and her surroundings. An impossible task, but she was as stubborn as a mule when it came to it.

One of Ibrahim's sword's snaked through her defence and struck her armour with a clang. Her eyes shot up to meet his in fury, as ablaze as the roaring fire of their forgery. She struck back with renewed vigour, both swords ferociously pacing forward to meet his. The sound of metal against metal rang throughout the forgery. Her next blow was met with his defence but it caused him to step back on his left foot for support. Relentless, Falaq forced him back again. Even though Ibrahim was bigger and stronger than her, the force of her attack had taken him by surprise.

"Falaq-calm-down-" Ibrahim grunted, pushing her back.

She barely heard him. She was too busy trying to get an opening.

She found one a few minutes later as he struck at her. She lodged his attacking hand under her arm and slid her own around his neck, metal on the precious skin of his throat.

They both held the position for a few moments as Falaq made sure Ustadh was aware she had won the fight. Her eyes locked with his calm blue ones. If not for the crease in his forehead no one would have guessed he was concerned.

Ibrahim gently unlocked her arms from around her. He gave her a small smile and Falaq felt her anger ebb away a little. She suddenly felt bad for her outburst. Before she could open her mouth however, he just shook his head and ruffled her hijab a little.

"Its just practice little one" and with that he was gone, leaving her to deal with her not-impressed Ustadh.

She tried not to look at him but his voice was commanding enough to draw eyes to his face.

"You fight not with skill but with anger, ya Falaq" Ustadh frowned, "I am not impressed. I have taught you better than this"

"I practice day and night" Falaq returned, feeling slightly angry, "it does not surprise me you are not impressed - you never are."

"Respect, Falaq" Ustadh boomed, looking down at her. She shrank under his gaze, humiliated.

"You do not listen" he continued, "you may practice for your life's worth but if you do not understand your exercise is pointless. The sooner that settles in your mind the better. We do not have much time"

Falaq thought it best to nod. Ustadh turned away to his work with some armaments, and that was her cue to leave.

Her head spun. She was listening wasn't she? If she wasn't listening, how did she manage to defeat her opponents in practice all the time? Why wasn't ustadh ever impressed? She tried not to care about his criticisms but they hurt. He was the only father figure she had and like it or not, he had raised her with everything he had. One of his smiles could light up her day, a nod of approval could make her beam from within. A harsh word bought tears to her eyes. Ustadh and his boys were the only family Falaq had. Running a hand over her sweaty face she tried to put it all at the back of her mind. She needed to distract herself.

At the far end of the forgery was where they all slept. Hammocks wound around various wooden beams formed beds for the boys and her. Even though it was noon they some of them were lounging here now having stolen a break from the harsh metal work. That was all they ever did when they weren't practicing their fighting skills - forge weapons of all kinds. As for what they did with these...some were sold to their Taghridi customers but the rest were bought by outsiders that the boys personally delivered to.

"Here comes the lioness!" Zain called out when he saw Falaq approaching them. He swung out of his hammock and pulled his tunic over his head before she could admire his chiseled chest. She caught a glimpse of it though - smooth golden russet skin littered with burns, a defined back and shoulders. Though not drawn to them romantically, it had to be accepted Falaq was no longer impervious to feelings.

Zain was the most vocal of her 'brothers'. He could either ignite tension or lessen it with his carefree attitude, and his presence was always a breath of air in the suffocating seriousness that was their tasks.

The heads of Ali, Marwan and Raza rose and turned to face her from their hammocks.

"You look..." Raza began, eyeing her over before settling on her expression. Raza was certainly the most handsome of them all with his perfectly chiseled features. The girls of Taghrid swooned in his presence, but his physique and impassive expression staggered their courage to pursue him. Not that he complained about the attention he received. Men.

"Angry" Marwan finished, chuckling as Falaq glared at him. He was the most easy going of all and Falaq loved wasting time with him. His broad shoulders and cheerful smile always lifted her mood. Marwan never let anything affect him much or at least, he never showed it. He was just happy with what he had - a feat Falaq knew she had not been able to accomplish.

"I want to ride" she said grumpily, stomping over to one of the chests and dumping her weapons into it before closing it none too gently.

"As you wish your highness!" Zain mocked, pulling his boots on. She almost smiled, but fought to keep an irritated expression on her face.

"I'll join you" Marwan extended. Ali stood up and stretched, indicating he was coming too.

Falaq raised her eyebrow at Raza.

"Do not use the power of those eyes ya Falaq" Raza warned "I need to rest before I get back to work" he rolled onto his stomach and lay his head snugly on his pillow to prove his point.

The four of them headed through the forgery in comfortable silence. Falaq led the way, bossily walking ahead of them in a bid for her dominance and attention. She always had it, but then again she was the youngest and a girl- she wasn't sure if the men knew how to handle that.

The rest of her brothers were working hard in the armoury. Ibrahim was now laying out strips of metal which Ehsan beat with a blunt tool to even out. His tunic stuck to his skin with sweat and his muscles rippled as he worked.

"Off riding?" Ibrahim asked, shouting over the noise. His blue-green eyes sparkled as he gazed at Falaq fondly.

"Indeed!" Falaq smiled, the curve of her lips finally escaping her cross expression.

Ehsan on the other hand just offered her a gentle smile as he looked up for a moment. Ehsan never talked very much but he was very kind and gentle and always listened to what she had to say. Ibrahim was similar, so they got along very well. They were also the oldest and hence most mature at twenty-nine summers.

The only brother missing as of yet was Husaam. He was on one of the supply missions, and could take another moon or so to return. His absence was not strongly felt anymore. It was usually him, Ibrahim, Ehsan is Marwan who went on these missions being the older men.

They saddled their horses and lead them out to the trail, chatting freely in the absence of the Taghridi crowd.

No one liked to take the forest trails if they could help it but Falaq loved racing her brothers through it. There was a thrill in the speed and danger of it all. Her horse, Batal, galloped with as much grace and power as the wind. When she was atop him she was free from every worry, every concern. And when her brothers rode with her she was home. They were her everything. The love they showed her was enough for her. She needed no parents, no blood relations when she had brothers like these.

Alhamdulillah, thought Falaq as she kicked Batal into a gallop, for this peace, for this family.

She nor her brothers knew that ride would be their last together as a carefree family. For trouble had arrived in Taghrid in the form of a certain handsome young ebony skinned man.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 6.8K 52
Yes, it was stupid of me to accept his hand in marriage. And yes, he still loves her so so much and maybe he always will. Will I ever be enough for...
553K 24.3K 41
He was the Man who preferred darkness. She was the Woman who preferred brightness. He preferred Loneliness. She preferred Togetherness. He had suf...
81.4K 8.2K 68
Some things are deadly when broken... Sold for the price of a pig, trained into the most expensive male escort in the peninsula, Hasheem, the Silver...
115K 8.5K 49
تم سے رنجش بھی ہے اختلاف بھی اور کچھ ع ش ق بھی ᴍᴀɴʏ ʟɪᴠᴇs ᴇɴᴛᴀɢʟᴇᴅ ᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ; ᴇxᴘᴇʀɪᴇɴᴄɪɴɢ ʙᴏɴᴅs, ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇs, ғᴜɴ, ʟᴏᴠᴇ, ᴘʀᴏᴍɪsᴇs ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛʙʀᴇᴀᴋs. ᴡ...