in too deep | ✓

By njhpiper

Evelyn Reyes is the girl with chronic anxiety. Her stomach knots, insomnia, pounding headache, a second voice... More

01| E v e l y n
02| M a s o n
03| E v e l y n
04| M a s o n
05| E v e l y n
07| E v e l y n
08| M a s o n
09| E v e l y n
10| M a s o n
11| E v e l y n
12| M a s o n
13| E v e l y n
14| M a s o n
15| E v e l y n
16| M a s o n
17| E v e l y n
18| E v e l y n
19| M a s o n
20| E v e l y n
21| M a s o n
22| E v e l y n
23| M a s o n
24| E v e l y n
25| M a s o n
26| M a s o n
27| E v e l y n (Part 1)
27| E v e l y n (Part 2)
27| E v e l y n ( Part 3)
28| M a s o n
29| M a s o n
30| E v e l y n
31| E v e l y n
32| E v e l y n
33| E v e l y n
34| E v e l y n
35| E v e l y n
36| E v e l y n
37| M a s o n
38| E v e l y n
39| E v e l y n
40| E v e l y n
41| M a s o n
42| E v e l y n
43| E v e l y n
44| E v e l y n
45| M a s o n
46| M a s o n
47| An unsent email from Evelyn Reyes (100K special)
48| The Differences between Anxiety Attacks and Panic Attacks
49| The Way I Loved You (Publishing) + Floating [COMPLETED]

06| M a s o n

41.2K 1.2K 1K
By njhpiper

I was stumbling,
looking in the dark
With an empty heart
But you say you feel the same
Could we ever be enough?
Baby we could be enough

-Home, One Direction

06| Mason

Mason was sure about it now. Every time she slapped on Mason's hand, he felt it. A wave of electricity would reach his spine and he would feel a tug at his heart. But he didn't dare to look up when she was looking at him. He knew he would not be able to look away.

But he stole the glances, the way she smiled when she caught Mason stealing one of those strawberries. The strawberries were irresistible and so was her smile. She had one of those smiles that made you do something so you could see it more. But he still couldn't figure out what happened in the morning, the way she cried, it felt like she had lost someone.

He couldn't ignore the feeling that he got from seeing her like that. He panicked and he felt like his world was crumbling down. He felt lost and confused. The way she sobbed, Mason could have done anything to stop that. His hands were shaking and his heart was beating too fast. Mason hated that feeling.

The lunch time being over soon, Evelyn stood up. She took her empty lunch box ( with a little contribution from Mason to make it empty) and shoved it down her bag. She took the book and looked at Mason. Mason was quite impressed with his timing. He managed to look down on the page he was reading (or trying to read for the last half an hour) just in time so she didn't catch him staring.

"So how long would it take you to read that Theodore Roosevelt had asthma and was a cowboy?" Her words hung in the air. Mason flicked to the next page quickly.

As if on cue, Evelyn laughed a little and shook her head. Rolling her eyes one last time, she walked away.

This girl is gonna be the death of me, Mason breathed out.

• • •

Mason waited and waited. But there was no sign of Evelyn. The school had ended minutes ago and Mason hadn't seen her yet. Her last period was art, a class he didn't share with her. They parted ways after the library incident. He hadn't seen her ever since.

Mason could feel the lump in his throat and the gnawing feeling in the pit of his stomach. He wanted to see her right then. He clenched and unclenched his fist and paced hoping she was alright.

The black bugatti Veyron stood behind him with all its glory. Mason wasn't able to sell the car. The buyer dropped by right after he reached home with it yesterday and one look at the car, his face stiffened. He even dared to call Mason a cheat and irresponsible young teenage boy for making him fly to California to get the car that had a huge dent which was not there in the picture he saw.

Yet, there was Mason, worrying for Evelyn. Although Evelyn's denting his car had caused him greatly, he wanted to make sure she was alright.

Evelyn finally walked out of the hallway. The smile that was on Evelyn's lips during lunch break was long gone. Instead, she looked the same way she looked in the morning, lost and hopeless.

Evelyn passed him like she hadn't even seen him. Too stunned by her ignorance he stayed frozen in his spot. She walked away towards the school gate and when he realized she was going away the words left his throat, "Evelyn!"

Evelyn froze in her tracks and slowly looked behind. Her eyes met Mason's, confused. He also saw a flash of fear cross her eyes.

"If you want to talk about the morning, then let me tell you again, nothing happened. You can leave me alone now." She said with her face hard as stone.

"I just wanted to know if you-" Mason's voice was cut off by an angry Evelyn.

"Enough is enough, Mason. Just because I cried," She stopped and sucked in a breathe.

"Just because I cried in your arms in the morning doesn't mean I am your friend, or responsibility or anything. I know how to take care of myself."

Mason stood there, thinking where the rush of her anger was coming from. He just needed to be sure if she was fine. He looked down defeated.

Make up some excuses, dude.

"I just wanted to know if you would like to accompany me somewhere," As soon as the words left his throat, he stiffened.

Why did I even say that?

Evelyn walked forward, looking annoyed. Crossing her arms over her chest and with an unimpressed expression, she demanded, "Where?"

"Forget I ever said anything. Go home, " If Mason said that to restrain Evelyn from going with him, it totally did the opposite. She took a step forward.

"No. I won't," She said and took another step forward, "You saw me crying and you are thinking I am weak and I should just go home and not go with you."

"It has nothing to do with your crying, " Mason said as Evelyn took another dangerous step. His back pressed against the car as Evelyn stood looking at him, threatening.

If this was any other time, Mason would take his moments to appreciate how long her eyelashes were. But now, his life was at stake, so no time for that.

"You were so sweet worrying about me and all, " She said with her faces inches away, although it sounded like Evelyn was complimenting him, the looks on her face gave away she was mocking, "I have decided that I will accompany you wherever you are going, even if it's hell."

Evelyn declared and shoved Mason out of her path and was inside his car in a blink of an eye. Mason stood there, blinking and going over what just happened. His thoughts were disturbed by a girly shout, "What are you still doing outside?"

Mason almost ran to the other side and got into driver seat. He looked over at Evelyn who seemed too distracted by the breathtaking beauty of school building completely forgetting about safety.

He hovered over and buckled the seat belt for her. She noticed immediately and glanced his way. When he was finished he looked up and he could swear he saw fire in her hazel eyes. "I can buckle my own seat belt you know and also there is something called personal space. Though I assume you never heard of it," She finished and shoved him in his stomach.

He retreated back in his seat yelping in pain and massaged his stomach. He wondered if this was the thing they said about girl's mood. He remembered Mallory, his sister, being angry for no reason at all and Mason had to buy ice cream whenever she went haywire.

Mason buckled up and started the engine. He thought how this day turned out this way. It was not supposed to go like this. The night before, he was thinking of ways to get to Evelyn but none of them fit. He even thought of tattooing her with a tattoo that said, I am sorry that I dented Mason's car. The idea was shot at the back of his head as soon as it came. He glanced over at Evelyn. Evelyn had no idea about where they were heading.

He thought of turning the car towards her house. Then he thought how Evelyn had threatened him minutes ago and shook his head. If she wanted to come, he would let her come.

Soon they were out of school compound and the silence in the car seated in. Evelyn was quiet looking outside the window. Mason turned on the radio, some rock song started playing and Evelyn and him both jumped in shock. Being sure that it was a bad idea, Mason turned the radio off.

"Where are we going?" Evelyn asked looking out of the window.

In reply, Mason said nothing. A feeling of heaviness settled in his heart as he drove closer to the graveyard. A place where lay Mason's mother, Sarah Stewart peacefully. Today was her birthday.

He stopped the car and opened the car cabinet to reveal a white rose, her favorite. Taking the rose, he slowly got out of the car, the heaviness was unable to carry now. It tightened around his heart like a rope.

"Listen, Mason. The world is not what you think it is. It is complicated. The people around you might not be the one you think they are. You always have to look out for yourself. Always ask yourself twice before trusting anyone." She said one afternoon when they were sitting in the garden while his dad was teaching Mallory how to drive.

If only Mason knew what she meant then. She might sound like someone who had trust issues but actually she was quite the opposite. She was a graceful and intelligent woman who worked side by side with her husband and knew well how to manage the family as well. More importantly, she deserved to live.

Mason let out a long shaky sigh. He placed the rose on her grave. There she lay sleeping away the days and leaving Mason behind with all the troubles to deal with.

A hand squeezed Mason's shoulder and he looked up. Evelyn watched him slowly with her eyes filled with something Mason hated, pity.

He looked away quickly and Evelyn sat beside him quietly. Moments passed in silence. He removed her hand from his shoulder and stood up. It was time to go.

He looked back for one last time and made a promise that he would not let go. He would do whatever it would take him to do.

• • •

Mason looked back at Evelyn. She stood there, frozen as she read the name of the shop. Ethan's Tattoo Parlor.

"Mason, what are we gonna do in a tattoo parlor?" She asked with horror.

Mason stared at her being bored. He held a look on his face that expressed, Told ya not to come.

"I am not going there." She said looking at the name and then down at him.

"You have come a long way to be here. What do you mean, you won't go there?" Mason crossed his arms on his chest.

"I mean, I didn't know you are gonna take me to some tattoo parlor." She reasoned.

"Then what did you think, I am taking you to ice cream parlor?" Mason said thinking she was really getting on his nerves. In reply, Evelyn narrowed her eyes.

"No." She replied with a hard face.

"Then let's go in. We don't want to stay outside all day." He said and walked forward. Evelyn didn't follow. God, this girl, Mason clenched his fist.

Mason turned around and Evelyn was ready to repeat her fits of protests, then he scooped her up in his arms. He had had enough.

"Put me down, what are you doing?!" Evelyn said with her arms around Mason's neck. The wave of electricity washed over Mason's neurons.

Mason realized he had done a great mistake by tagging her alone. He should've driven her to home instead of listening to her. He still didn't know why he was taking Evelyn inside.

Maybe because it is your first time getting a tattoo and you are afraid.

No, of course. The voice inside his head was definitely crazy. He was everything but afraid. It was a mere tattoo. He had done larger things in life, he had taken huge decisions and he had fought enough fights for a lifetime.

A beautiful smell of vanilla pulled him out of his thoughts. It was the same perfume Mason remembered from Saturday night. He looked at the girl in his arms and he was sure she was the one with it. He stared at her eyes, brown, as warm as honey and seconds later he saw emerald green.

Mason had problem breathing in. He thought of making an appointment with the best respiratory specialist around.

The eyes had other plans. They narrowed at him and he heard a shout, " Put me down, you asshole!"

Too shocked by the shout he let go off his arm and Evelyn landed butt first on the ground. "Ouch,ouch, of course, I told you to put me down and you put me down. How obedient!" She stood up immediately.

"Ethan, man. Where are you?" Mason said glancing inside the shop. Ethan knew he was gonna come today to get the tattoo so he must be prepared with the ink and the needle.

Of course he is ready to ink you, but are you ready?

Ethan came out, as careless looking as ever. He had tattoos all over his body not leaving enough space for sweat to come out.

Wait, the skin that get tattooed, does it sweat?

Mason shut the weird thoughts off his mind and concentrated. Ethan knew what he was going to ink already. Mason wanted to dedicate a tattoo to his mom which would be on his chest close to his heart, right where she belonged. It would be her 'birth date to forever' because to him, she would live forever.

"Hey, Mason." Ethan gave Mason a bump in the shoulder and looking at Evelyn he gave a questioning look.

"She is Evelyn. A-a-a friend, yes, friend of mine." Mason said with difficulty and looked at Evelyn. Her pale cheeks looked paler like someone had drained all the blood out of her body.

"Hi, Ethan. Nice to meet you." Evelyn said with her voice a little bit shaky.

"You want a tattoo too?" Ethan asked smilingly.

Evelyn shook her head no violently. "I am totally fine. I don't need a tattoo."

Ethan nodded and looked at Mason. "So, you're ready?"

"Better now than never." Mason replied. He walked further inside where the bed was where he would lie down to get the tattoo.

Mason started to unbutton his shirt. A squeal stopped him.

"Wait! wait!" Evelyn said.

"What?" Mason asked her in surprise.

"I um I actually wanna get a tattoo." She said staring at his hands which were on his buttons. She then looked up and her eyes met Mason's.

"A moment ago.."

"What happened a moment ago, happened a moment ago. I have changed my mind. I want to get a tattoo now," She said and walked past Mason to reach Ethan.

He was eyeing them with a smile in his face. What's up with him now?

"So you're the one who will tattoo me, right?" She asked Ethan as she sat down on one of those chairs that the customers sat to get a tattoo.

"Are you sure about this Evelyn?" Mason asked her, "Just want to tell you a tattoo is permanent and you can't just wash it off." Like your tears, Mason added silently.

"Of course, I do. And I am not afraid to get one now. I think it's time I get used to pain." Evelyn said looking at him but her eyes were distant.

It's time I get used to pain, What did that mean? Mason wondered.

What pain she could get used to? Mason could not see it. But he could add the pictures together now. It all clicked in place. Evelyn looking so lost and helpless, Evelyn bursting out in tears, Evelyn having dark circles under her bright eyes, Evelyn shutting Mason off thinking he would want to know about the morning.

Something was up with Evelyn. Something that was not quite right.

"Mason, get out of here, you are distracting me." Evelyn said from her seat, her voice determined and her face as hard as always.

"Agh, Evelyn, steady." Ethan interrupted.

Mason took the cue and got out of there. Evelyn finally came out of the room after what felt like hours. Mason stood up from the couch he was sitting in and grabbed her arm.

"What? Ouch, I just got a tattoo here." Evelyn complained though Mason had held her arm gently far away from the tattoo.

He glared at her and then looked at the right side of her forearm where she had gotten the tattoo. It contained only two words but the meaning, it sank so deep down. Mason could feel another rope of heaviness tighten his heart. The tattoo said,

Gotta live.

• • •
Edited.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.1K 1.7K 110
And then he stopped. Shane leaned his forehead against mine, breathing heavily, our eyes still closed, and he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear...
789 107 29
H.R.: #207 in Teen Fiction *** No one is allowed to treat my girl like that. My girl? It sounded so perfect. I pushed her hair strands behind her ea...
222K 2.3K 15
|SAMPLE ONLY||THE FICTION AWARDS 2019 WINNER| EVIE CHASE has it all--fame, fortune, the career of her dreams--but things weren't always that way. Th...
95.6K 1.8K 20
Josh and Katie have been best friends since he first moved nextdoor midway through freshman year. They were attached to the hip and acted like they'v...