Another Angle - Season 2

By schilkowsky

A Glee fanfiction. What happens to Kurt and Blaine when they are not in the Glee Club meetings. More

Never Been Kissed
The Substitute
Furt
A Very Glee Christmas
The Sue Sylvester Shuffle
Silly Love Songs
Comeback
Blame it on the Alcohol
Sexy
Original Song
A Night of Neglect
Born This Way
Rumours
Prom Queen
Funeral
New York

Special Education

687 12 15
By schilkowsky

"Hey, look who decided to call his friends!"

            "That's one of the reasons I don't call you more often, Wes."

            "Sure. Because Kurt would never treat you like this..."

            The thing about best friends is that they are the ones who know exactly how to piss you off. However, Blaine needed Wes to do him a favor and he couldn't afford to get angry at him:

            "Come on, cut it out. I'm actually calling because I need you to do me a favor..."

            Wes laughed:

            "And that's why you called. Lucky you, Blaine-boy, that I am a good friend and I'm willing to help you. Shoot."

            "I need you to audition a new Warbler."

            "What? Blaine, we are too close to the sectionals to let anyone in right now. You know that."

            "I know; that's why I need you. This guy has a very special voice; he would be a great addition to the Warblers. You won't regret it."

            "Who is this guy? Why haven't he auditioned when the term began like everyone else?"

            "Well... he just transferred. Monday will be his first day..."

            "Blaine?"

            "Yes?"

            "Is it Kurt?"

            Blaine was happy that Wes couldn't see him now; he was sure his friend would never let go of the fact that Blaine was blushing:

            "Yes."

            Wes laughed really loudly and Blaine was preparing for the worse. However, Wes answer surprised him:

            "Consider it done. He doesn't even need to audition. You showed me videos of him singing and the boy really is a power house. You can guide him to rehearsal, right?"

            Blaine could barely believe his ears:

            "Wes?"

            "Yes?"

            "Thank you."

            "That's what friends are for, mate."

            Blaine was surely excited about Kurt transferring to Dalton, but he was also a little afraid of how this coexistence would work out. Not that he hid anything at Dalton, but he surely toned down his personality a lot. With Kurt, he could be whoever he was; with the Warblers the things were different. He was never bullied, but he didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable. Besides, being a Warbler was all about blending in: it was all about being part of a group, not over shining anyone. They were a unit; not combined pieces, but a whole.

*

            Kurt had a little trouble driving home with a canary in his back seat. He kept worrying that the cage would fall or that the bird would be hurt in a turn. But that wasn't the real problem; the problem was he had too much to distract his mind and now taking care of a bird was just one more thing to worry him. It was vital that this bird would be in its most perfect health; Kurt didn't want to do anything else to upset the Warblers.

            Blaine had just told Kurt to show up at the Warblers' practice because he was already in. Kurt didn't know how the auditioning process of the Warblers worked and he just found strange when a boy said that he must be very special to be accepted without even a hearing.

            Being a Warbler wasn't as easy as Kurt had dreamed. They were all about uniformity and the group. Kurt was used to the ways things were at the New Directions; he was used to be encouraged to let the unique aspects of his personality shine. Mr. Schue wanted them all to feel special and Kurt was sure the boy hadn't meant special in the same way. Kurt's ideas were all cut out by the council. He must learn how to be quiet and just do what he was told.

            Maybe that's what he needed. Maybe it was this that would protect him from bullying. That was surely one of the biggest differences between Dalton and McKinley. Blaine was different when he was at Dalton as well. They had barely spoken at school and they hadn't called each other yet. They used to call each other as soon as they got home from school. However, Kurt didn't feel like calling Blaine today.

            Blaine had being nice finding a way to let Kurt into the Warblers. He had welcomed Kurt to Dalton but all this in a distant way. Anyhow, Kurt didn't want to complain about his worries to Blaine. He missed Mercedes but he was scared to call her too. He wasn't sure how the New Directions were taking his leave. And Mercedes had already had her issues with his friendship with Blaine. No, he just needed a nice warm bath. After a good night of sleep, Dalton would seem much better in the morning.

*

            Blaine and Wes were out on Blaine's favorite coffee shop: the Lima Bean. Blaine had seen how upset Kurt went out of the Warblers' practice. Blaine wasn't always good with words; he didn't know what to say to make Kurt better. But he wanted to help and that's where he needed Wes.

            Unlikely what Blaine feared; his friends had all being very nice to Kurt and none of them had mad any joke about the two of them dating. He knew that Wes was saving all this for when they were alone. However, Wes was still quiet. Blaine started the conversation:

            "So, what do you think of Kurt?"

            "He's good; very good. But I already knew that, otherwise I wouldn't have convinced the rest of the council to let him in."

            "Do you think it would be ok if he auditioned for a solo?"

            Wes looked puzzled:

            "Blaine, you know his chances of getting a solo when he just got in are very slim. The council wouldn't trust him this early with such a responsibility; no matter how good he is."

            "I know, I know. It's just that he's having trouble adapting. There's so much going on in his life right now. I just thought that an audition might cheer him up. He has a unique voice; maybe if the Warblers listened to him he would feel more appreciated."

            "He will fit in Blaine, just give him time. No one seemed to dislike him; he's just the new kid. It will change soon. I don't understand you: when he was at his old school you would spend every minute you could with him; now that he transferred, you have barely spoken. Maybe having his friend with him would cheer him up as well."

            "I was giving him his space to be known for what he is instead of just being known as 'Blaine's friend'."

            Blaine lied. He didn't want to tell Wes that there was a whole side of his personality that no Warbler knew. He didn't want to say that he told Kurt things he had told no one else in his life. He was afraid that Kurt found out how different he behaved around the Warblers. He feared Kurt wouldn't like it or that the Warblers wouldn't like how he behaved around Kurt. He understood how Kurt was feeling because he felt the same when he first joined the Warblers.

            Wes nodded skeptically:

            "Well, if you think that failing to get a solo won't hurt him, I can put his name to consideration for a solo. If all you are asking is for him to audition, it can be done."

            "Well, I wanted to ask you that he doesn't know that I was the one who asked it."

            "He has a rare voice. There are few contra-tenors out there; I can use it as my argument."

"You are weird today; no jokes?"

            Wes smiled:

            "You miss them? Feel like telling me something? Blaine, my dear friend, I already told you all I think about the two of you. If you choose to keep denying the truth, there's nothing I can do about it."

*

            Kurt knew all the dangers of what his was doing, but talking to Rachel Berry was a top priority right now. He was hiding in his car at the McKinley parking-lot. If Karosfky saw him there, Kurt would be dead. Rachel was his only hope. Not that they were this close as friends, but all his friends were so distant right now.

He was happy Blaine had rushed after him to talk about the last Warblers' practice. Blaine had noticed that it bothered Kurt; it was nice of him. They were talking again but Blaine was cold and distant. Kurt didn't know why and was too scared to ask. He couldn't afford losing Blaine. The important thing was that Blaine told he could audition for a solo and that was Kurt's opportunity to show his value to Blaine and the Warblers. Rachel Berry, even with her diva ways, was the one with the star quality to help Kurt. He waited in his car practicing "My Heart Will Go On" until he was sure Karofsky had left the school.

*

            Blaine was waiting for the council to finish their meeting so he could know the results of the auditions. He had bothered Wes and David to let him tell the results. It was a little selfish, but he wanted to be the one seeing Kurt's smiled if he went on the competition.

            Wes finally opened the door to let him in. Thad was the one to talk:

            "Well, Blaine, you can tell Nick and Jeff that they are moving on."

            Blaine knew that Kurt's chances were slim, but hope had kept him wanting for more:

            "How about Kurt?"

            Thad answered matter-of-factually:

"He's too controversial."

Blaine was upset; was it because Kurt was gay? He was also gay and got all the solos. Was it all hidden hate?

"But he was fantastic! You were all as impressed by his voice as I was. Why can't he move on?"

Wes casted him a look telling 'I told you so'. Thad seemed a little offended by Blaine's rebellion, but Blaine couldn't care less. David knew his friend best and interfered before Blaine could get in trouble with Thad. He answered casting Blaine a warning look:

"Kurt's voice is really impressive, Blaine, and that's why he was accepted in such an unusual way. But he's not completely a Warbler yet. He clearly wants to pull focus. It's just his first competition. Give him time and he can try again. Now, you insisted on telling the results. They are waiting, go there and take them out of their agony."

*

            Kurt had always known that he had few chances of getting the solo because he was the new kid. He didn't get many solos in New Directions as well, but part of him had dreamed of shining as the soloist.

            What hurt the most, however, was that Blaine had rushed away after giving him the news. Was Blaine embarrassed of him? He told Kurt not to try so hard; was Kurt too openly gay for Blaine? Blaine acted completely different at school. But it was weird; Blaine didn't hide his sexual orientation from no one. Was he hiding something else?

            Kurt wanted to attract attention. Wasn't that the point of Glee clubs? Weren't they all attracted by the stage? It was easy for Blaine to feel good; all the attentions were on him all the time. Kurt had heard the other Warblers saying that Blaine's opinions were taken too much into consideration even if he wasn't at the council. But even with those jealous commentaries, all the Warblers simply worshiped Blaine.

            Maybe all that Kurt wanted was a little more attention from Blaine. He had hoped that being in the same school would bring them closer. And maybe being closer would mean evolving into something else.

*

            Blaine had expected that the Warblers would appreciate Kurt as much as he did and as fast as he did. But he couldn't really complain, could he? Kurt was with him at sectionals; they would be performing together. The Warblers were friendly to him as well. Maybe he should just do what Wes and David were advising him and give some time so things could adjust.

            It was kind of painful to watch how much Kurt missed his friends at the New Directions during sectionals. The way Kurt was talking to that girl; the way he hugged her. Sometimes he forgot he wasn't Kurt's only friend. He was so happy to have Kurt seated by his side during the competition that it took him a while to realize that Kurt's eyes were moist watching the New Directions.

            Kurt must be feeling lonely. He knew he has being distant; but could Kurt see how much he had worked on the backgrounds to make sure Kurt's welcome was the best possible?

            Maybe he should just forget all about that and just do what he liked most to do: spend time with Kurt. After all, he was Kurt's only friend at Dalton. He must admit he was one hell of a luck guy to have both the Warblers and Kurt near him almost all the time.

*

            Kurt was home taking care of Pavarotti:

            "Well, Pav, you heard Blaine: you will sing again in no time. And so will I. We both just need some time. But we have each other, right? And Blaine..."

            Kurt was happy because Blaine had shown up in no time after he had messaged him about Pavarotti. Kurt had been afraid of how much Blaine had changed after he transferred to Dalton, but today he saw that Blaine was just the same.

            Kurt had a new life and he needed to get used to it. Well, it would be easier with Blaine by his side. Also, he had talked to the New Directions during sectionals and they were cool about him. His friends wanted what was best for him. Including Blaine that had come when Kurt asked for his help.

            Kurt shouldn't be upset because his daydreams weren't coming true. Did he truly believe Blaine would become his boyfriend just because he had transferred schools? Blaine saw him as a friend. He had touched Kurt's legs like it was nothing, but Kurt could still feel the touch of Blaine's fingers on his knees. If he could see Blaine only as a friend as well things would be easier.

            "Pav, we need to stop daydreaming and start the hard work to become who we are supposed to be. I'll start my molting and soon enough I'll be singing like a Warbler."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 207 36
A Glee fanfic. In a way or another, Kurt and Blaine complete the famous psychological experiment that says can make any two people fall in love.
1.8K 20 18
Rachel Berry had enough of being bullied at McKinley, so much to the point where she decides to spy on Dalton's Glee Club--The Warblers. Upon meeting...
18K 591 41
~Completed~Some people expect life to be perfect, but it's not. Kurt and Blaine meet, and they figure out they are soulmates according to the names o...
11.3K 279 7
Fanfic about Kurt and Blaine from Glee. After their hook-up at Will and Emma's almost-wedding, what is going on with Kurt and Blaine? Blaine is madly...