2 | 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐃𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐃 ▹ LOKI L...

By -vxlkyries

" nobody said it was easy no one ever said it would be this hard " In which a sorceress must face the... More

BURDENED
CAST + PLAYLIST
PART I : OF RETURNS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
i. the criminal
ii. the tremor
iii. the negligence
iv. the focus
vi. the storm
vii. the futile
viii. the breach
ix. the difference
x. the question
xi. the resurgence
xii. the sight
xiii. the manipulated
xiv. the omen
xv. the opportunity
PART II : OF SOULS AND SACRIFICES
xvi. the hunt
xvii. the collector
xviii. the progress
xix. the broker
oo. the tag challenge
xx. the accuser
xxi. the price
xxii. the independence
xxiii. the soul
xxiv. the disarmed
xxv. the frost
xxvi. the illusion
xxvii. the occupied
xxviii. the gates
xxix. the fallen
xxx. the collapse
xxxi. the guilty
PART III : OF DARKNESS AND DECEPTION
xxxii. the secret
xxxiii. the realistic
xxxiv. the infection
xxxv. the attack
xxxvi. the sacrifice
xxxvii. the lost
xxxviii. the plot
xxxix. the treason
xl. the rage
xli. the obedient
xlii. the merciful
xliii. the reality
xliv. epilogue
DOOMED

v. the disturbance

3K 165 74
By -vxlkyries

A M O R A

The next day, Amora bustled around the healing halls, trying to keep herself busy. Any moment of stillness would allow her to fall into her thoughts.

She had been somewhat proud of her performance in Loki's presence even though part of her still feared that he was through her aloof mask. He was the prince of lies, after all.

However, even though her initial visit was successful, there was still the matter of his treatment. Vanna was obviously ill-suited for the job, but Amora did not think it would be wise to take the position herself.

Part of her said that she was the only healer that could at least attempt to control him, but the other part seemed to think back on her earlier statement. I'm done waiting.

Amora wanted to say that her statement was solely based on a lack of patience for the trickster, but she knew what the true reason was: she was afraid. Even when there was still a remnant of the old Loki remaining, he had left her to chase revenge. Now, how could she trust a man that she hardly recognized?

I will just recommend another healer to treat him, she reasoned, only feeling somewhat reassured by her plan.

In an attempt to maintain normalcy, Amora shared a quick lunch with her apprentice when it was finally time for their break.

"But when can I go to the dungeons with you?" Ana implored, her blue eyes wide and pleading.

Swallowing a bite, Amora gave a heavy sigh in mock exasperation, "Oh, you are impossible," but she then offered an encouraging smile. "When you're ready."

The young blonde immediately scrambled for her assigned holopad, her fingers flying across the screen. "I have already passed my necessary benchmarks--most of the other apprentices can barely handle a vial of common medicine--and you've already let me diagnose and treat a few patients."

Amora looked over the information that had been pushed to her face even though she was the one who wrote most of the reports. She gave the device back and spoke carefully, "Yes, but the dungeons are completely different than the healing halls. These are not clumsy workers and stubborn soldiers; these are enemies of Asgard."

She sighed and placed a hand on Ana's. "I do not want you to get hurt. You will get to go one day, but not right now."

Ana stayed silent for a moment, the disappointment in her eyes wore at Amora's resolve. Suddenly, the light in the young girl's eyes ignited and she leaned across the table.

"Can you teach me how to fight?" she asked in an excited whisper, "You won't have to worry about me if I can defend myself."

Looking away, the brunette hesitated. Ana had become like a little sister and Amora dreaded the thought of losing her like she did Lorelei.

I will not let her go astray like Lorelei. I will not let her down. She thought before finally nodding. "Very well."

The squeal that escaped Ana nearly made Amora jump as the girl practically lunged from her seat to wrap the brunette in a tight embrace.

A rich laugh sounded from nearby as Ana released Amora and an deep voice said amusedly, "Well, it looks like someone is happy."

Amora looked up and smiled. "Theoric."

He cheerfully returned the smile, making his warm eyes crinkle.

"I was hoping to walk with you during your break," Inclining his head slightly towards Ana, he then asked, "May I have a moment with her?"

The girl quickly stood, beaming, and eagerly said, "Of course." With a bright, pointed look at Amora, she scurried off with no small amount of glances back over her shoulder.

Amora gathered her satchel and the couple fell in step as they made their way towards the public gardens. A heavy silence took hold of them; ever since Thor's suggestion of betrothal a sense of nervous awkwardness had fallen between the two.

Clearing his throat, Theoric said softly, "I was worried when you did not come to the gardens last night."

A pang of guilt shot through her and she mentally cursed, looking away. "Oh, Theoric, I am so sorry. I had to deal with a patient and completely forgot." They had planned to walk through the gardens the night before, but she had been too preoccupied with Loki to remember.

When she turned back to him, Theoric was gazing just past her with a distant look in his eyes. But he immediately focused back on her and replaced the somber expression with a somewhat pained smile, his hand finding hers.

"It is alright," he said, pressing a quick kiss on her forehead, "We all have other priorities that require our attention."

The steadiness of his gaze flickered and he turned his head, trying to appear distracted by a vibrant patch of flowers near the primary entrance of the gardens.

Amora pressed her lips together; she felt absolutely helpless. Something in her words had not been right, but what else could she have said without revealing her true activities? Theoric would certainly be unhappy knowing that she had secretly visited Loki.

For a short moment of uncomfortable silence, she opened and closed her mouth before finally finding some proper words. "Thor informed me that the royal family will be holding a festival to celebrate the beginning of the Bifrost's repairs. Would you accompany me?"

Theoric turned back to her, beaming once more. "Of course!"

He then straightened regally and took her hand. With a dramatic bow, he pressed his lips to her knuckles and looked up at her with a goofy grin. "It would be my honor."

Amora let out a laugh, but when she glanced up, she quickly regained her composure. The flowers along the path seemed to part as the queen approached, as though they were bowing to her presence. Ordinarily, Frigga's warmth would serve as a comfort for Amora, but the grim look on the queen's face was far from comforting.

Upon stopping, Frigga clasped her hands in front of her and offered Theoric an apologetic smile. "I am sorry to interrupt, but I must speak to Amora."

Giving the healer a concerned glance, he nodded. As he took a step closer to Amora, he angled his face slightly down towards hers and she felt herself panic. Turning her head away ever so slightly, she instead gave her cheek to receive his quick, chaste kiss.

He paused uncertainly before nodding. "I will see you later."

As he strode away, Frigga wordlessly turned on her heel and started towards the palace. For a moment, Amora stood in shock at the queen's odd behavior before hurrying to catch up.

Frigga offered a kind nod to a passing pair of ladies, but cast a careful glance back as they walked away. Then, she suddenly nudged Amora into a nearby arched doorway. However, as she passed through, her vision was warped by green light until it cleared to reveal the Bifrost.

Heimdall stood stoically at his post, staring into the expanse of stars, until the women's footsteps echoed off the walls of the great dome. Turning to face them, he offered Amora a nod only somewhat less grim than Frigga's.

Amora's immediately tensed. They know.

Turning to Frigga, she let the words tumble out. "I know that it was against the Allfather's orders, but you must understand. Vanna was--"

The queen placed her hands on Amora's shoulders, her comforting touch stopping the anxious outpouring of words.

"That is not what this is about, Amora," she said but then glanced at Heimdall before adding, "Well...not entirely."

Frowning, Amora turned to Heimdall for an explanation.

"There are allies of Thanos searching for something in the outer regions of the galaxy," he said, stepping down from his platform, "They have already travelled to many planets, but their search continues."

"We believe he is looking for the Infinity Stones," Frigga said.

Amora nodded silently, her lips pressed together in a thin line. "I have some knowledge of the Stones, but why did you call me?"

Ever since her first encounter with Thanos's subordinates, she had scoured the archives of Asgard as well as other realms for any information on the titan, but any solid facts were sparse and vague. Research of the Stones, on the other hand, had been somewhat more productive, but it was probably nothing that Frigga and Heimdall did not already know.

Frigga clasped and unclasped her hands together and said hesitantly, "We believe Loki may have some information on Thanos."

No, no, no, Amora prayed, dreading the queen's next words.

"We are hoping that, during your examinations, you can find out what he knows."

The echo of Frigga's words seemed louder in the silence that followed. Amora swallowed, her mind being tossed between two views.

She could not go back to visit Loki; she had already made her thoughts clear. Her decision was one of the most certain things that she had determined ever since his return.

But it was necessary. Thanos was a legitimate danger and any information could prove vital for Asgard. How could she choose her emotions over her duty?

Finally, she nodded silently. "Alright," was all she could manage to say.

Despite the collective breath of relief from the two older Asgardians, the silence was still tense, like the thickness of the air before a storm broke open the skies.

The disturbance felt inevitable, and all Amora could do was brace herself.

* * *

As always, I'm always open to feedback so let me know what you guys think of this chapter.

Again, I am very sorry for my tardiness on this work. The Friday publishing schedule is still a thing; I've just been slacking :P

Also, I'm considering changing my covers for Enchanted and Burdened, but I'm not exactly sure what I want them to be. Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thanks!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23K 600 40
Aurora Odindottir (now going by Odinson) has gotten comfortable with her life on earth and the friendships she's made. But suddenly it feels like eve...
117K 5.1K 33
When Thor finds Loki broken and dying on Nidavellir he decided to bring him home to Asgard to take care of him. Despite the fact that Loki is a wante...
340K 16.2K 54
" I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe " In which a trickster...
18.2K 731 25
Thank you so much for #3 in #buckyxreader and #6 in #asgard Please be sure to read the second book in this series! It's a bit shorter but I'm sure yo...