The Devils Backbone

By Skipology

Fanfiction based on the History Channels Hatfields and McCoys. [Book is a rough draft - needs heavy editing] ... More

CAST: The Hatfield Clan
CAST: The McCoy Clan
SOUNDTRACK
Across the River
Looming Airs
Timber
Blacker Berries
Cotton's Soup
Rain Water
Ominous
Hogswagglers Jury
Chores to Do
Election Day
Rose on the Doorstep
Too Far Gone
Counting Seconds
The Shack
Up to the Timber
Untitled Blooms
Pikeville
Close
Was There Peace in the Valley
Chill Down the Spine
Hammer and Nails
As Blood Sets the Table
Unease
In the Dark
Like Rain in the Sky
One Crossed the River
Lambs Last Mercy
Blood Toucheth Blood
Ever On
Trouble with Peace
Autumn Rain
Fire Starters
Laughter in the Dark
Irregular
A Call to the Wilds
Schemes
Comes A Knocking
Angels
Changing Winds
Smoke Before The Blaze
Regrouping
How Deep the Water Runs
A Cabin in the Hills
High Alert
Heat the Frying Pan
Day in the Life
A Wild Ride
No Bells A Ringin'
For Want of a Nail
Killing Season
The Things You Sew
Start of a Charge
New Faces
The First Night
Battlezones
The Pine Box
When All Goes Right
Now's About Time
A Snake in the Roses
Quiet Thunder
The Color of Blood
Plans
Where the Apricots Grow
The Gut You Trust
Road to New York
At Ease
Something New
Adder in the Garden
Fibs and Folly
The Dream Deferred
The Get Away
The Way Back
The Nerve
Mother May I
Daddy Dearest
Quiet Gatherings
Good Bad Spine
Sundance
Rock Bottom
Cold Dark Morning
Lost and Found
From The Pit
Winter's Sigh
A Wing to Mend
Two Came Knocking
Hard Luck, Shared Blood
For the Better?
A Merry Secret
An Unclever Ruse

The Begining

1.9K 115 56
By Skipology

"Sarah you seen Chyna anywhere?" Cap asked as he looked around outside. Sarah puffed out her cheeks in anger and stomped one foot. "Darn you Cap! No you don't! You see Chyna alla time! I get to play with Chyna after shecs done helpin mamma! She promised!" The little girl said roaring as loud as she could.

Cap threw his hands up "whoa there!" Cap chuckled. Sarah wasnt amused as she gave her brother a fierce glare, a devils glare, even the smallest of Hatfields had it.

"Im sorry, but look here Sarah it's real important. I can get her to come play tomorrow." Cap reasoned. Sarah wasn't convinced and raise an eyebrow carefully "an hows I'm supposed to know that? Whats so important that you aint had it handled already?" She asked slyly. Cap swore she looked like old wary cat in that moment.

"I-I gotta tell 'er something is all...and ask her something too..." Caps voice trailed off and Sarah broke out into a grin. "Ooooo, You gon ask her to be your lover?" Sarah asked in a song. Cap glared "hey! An who taught you that word, little girls shouldnt be talkin 'bout that -like that!" Cap scolded. Sarah wasn't bothered by his statement "Louise Caldwell, talks about it in all the old books she has. Romeo an Juliet was lovers an' we got that one at the school house." Sarah explained quickly, after all there was more important things to talk about. Things Cap was trying really hard to avoid.

Like she was goning to let him.

"So are you gon' ask her? Means I can play with her more!" Sarah said. "It aint no business of yours Sarah..." Cap muttered. Sarah crossed her arms and smiled a smug smile, a smile that drew her chin up and turned her cheeks into pudgy upside down U's while making her mouth small and scrunched together. Her eyes squinting as if she were all knowing. "Its my buisness if you wanna find her. Otherwise I aint tellin you where she went" Sarah sang.

Out foxed, out foxed by a little girl. Cap watched his sister with a dull gaze. "you're evil Sarah' to be so small" he muttered. "The Devils lil girl says Uncle Jim." She said with pride. Cap gave a long sigh "fine, yeah. You aint wrong. Now tell me where she went." Cap said quickly. It wasnt the way Sarah wanted it, but knowing Cap that was as good as it was going to get.

"Chyna went down to the well, probably on her way back. But that bucket gets real heavy so she is probably still there" Sarah said. Cap nodded and headed off grumbling to himself. He stopped in his tracks and turned back to Sarah pointing at her. "Don't you be hanging around that Caldwell kid no more." He warned, to which Sarah rolled her eyes.

Chyna carried the bucket of water with both hands moving carefully as not to spill any water. Last thing she wanted was to have to go all the way back and refill. A familiar voice hit her ears while she watched her shuffling feet "you look like you could use a hand" Cap called.

In an instant he was at her side. He took the bucket's handle in one of his hands and carried it with her. "You know this is the same hing that broke Jack an Jill's noggins." Chyna giggled. Cap chucked lightly "well good thing we aint goin down a hill, huh?" He asked. Chyna nodded, she still needed to warn the Hatfields about the bounty hunters. However, she wasn't sure Cap should be the one to hear it first. "Best tell it straight to Anse." She thought.

"You listenin?" Cap asked, Chyna slightly startled gave a sheepish smile "nope...what was it?" She said. Cap couldnt tell her he had only tried to say a confession of love at a half second per word. In truth he was kinda glad she wasn't listening. He exhaled slowly and opened his eyes. "Well...I got some things to tell you..."he said.

The seriousness in his vouce made Chyna worry. "Oh no whats happened? What'd your pa say about James and Clint?" Chyna asked quickly. "Huh?" Cap asked for a moment he'd forgotten all about that. "Oh yeah, he is gon give them a chance...maybe. But only cause..." Cap trailed off, and took on a timid posture, Chyna tilted her head as he avoided her gaze "...hedontwant youworkinup atthetimbernomore."

Chyna gave him a blank stare and tried her best to replay the sounds of the jumbled rushed mess and make actual words out of it. Her mouth moved silently as she tried to create the words. When it finaly came to her, all the air left her lungs and her shoulders slumped.

"your pa doesnt want me working up at the timber anymore..." She repeated slowly. Cap rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah...it aint-it ain't personal or nothing like that" he said fumbling. Chyna nodded, "Right so long as he hires Clint and James. Maybe Iris will allow me to work up at the shanty." Chyna sighed. "Thats not a bad idea, if thats what you want. But you see that wasnt all." Cap said.

He spoke clearer now. He was very sure of his plan, and talking about it would open the door to the conversation he just didn't know how to start. Cap exhaled and looked Chyna in the eyes. A strange feeling of calm fell over him and yet her heart beat rapidly.

"You see...Pa doesn't want you on Hatfield land anymore...or anyones land assosciated with us." Cap stated slowly. He didn't think it was possible but Chyna became pale, her eyes franticly searching his. He was too calm far to calm. Did she panic? Or should she wait?

" what about cotton? "

Cap smile slightly at her question and took a step a step forward, he took her face in his hand and chuckled lightly. "Breathe, Chyna." He said, at his words Chyna release all the air she was golding back and all the sounds of the day flooded her ears again, she could feel the chill in the breeze once more. The hand holding the bucket stopped trembling.

"You're staying with Cotton, with me. Chyna I'm gonna make a place were you belong." Cap said, his words were firm but his tone was quiet and Chyna was completely lost. Fear vanished from her eyes and the cotner of her eyes starte to well up slowly. "Why all this Cap? I ain't nobody I could go an you'd all just as well forget me." She said.

"Cotton wouldn't, I dont care how stunted his mind is. I couldn't, not ever. Its because you don't wanna leave, you love this land, you love us Chyna. Every last one of us, even those of us that hate you. I can't let you go from here now, here just won't be here without you anymore." Cap said.

He rubbed his thumb against her skin the roughness of his skin was comforting to Chynacs reeling thoughts.

"Uncle Ellison, he started something when he chose to pull you from the Tug banks not just into our land. He pulled you into us. I knew it the day I seen you all chewed up and beat up. This rooted feeling and I tried like hell to run from it. I couldn't, you got this power over people. For good or bad you draw folks in and they can't get free. Your the good that this place is missing."

Cap couldn't stop his words. Everything he had ever kept away was rushing out of him faster than he could realize.

Chyna looked away from him and after a lingering soft silence she sighed. "....whats with you boys. Why care so much, I'm pretty ordinary. Plently people like me, like me but somehow carrying less trouble on their heels." She said.

Cap started to laugh quietly, Chyna looked up at him, slightly offended. He didn't honestly find all this funny? Or was he messing with her.

"You're about as pretty as the first spring bloom, but there ain't nothing ordinary 'bout you Chyna." He said. His words came out with a harp tinge of something bitter and that slight bitterness showed in his crooked pained smile.

"You put the devil into me Chyna. I'd take on the whole world if it means keeping you near.and I need you to hear this now and I know you feel it too." He said his smirk quickly filled with confidence as he closed the gap between them.

" I don't care for you," he breathed. Before than shock or pain from those words could take hold he'd had his nose to hers and whispered " I love you" those words pushed his warmth into her with a sudden kiss.

Chyna's nerves shook and her eyes watched his face as he kissed her, a kiss tht wasn't held back yet somehow waiting. A kiss that was a question. Pressing up on her toes Chyna let one hand rest against Cap's chest as she answered him by diving into the kiss.

She could feel him smile and his body relax. Cap removed his hand from her cheek and placed it around her hips. He pulled her in pressing his to hers, hips first and then his heart. Chyna could feel his heart beat against her chest and he could feel hers against his.

If he could he would have crushed her too him, this closeness he'd only dreamed of before. Lost in it all he forgot the need to breath. Chyna softly bit the bottom of his lip, he pulled away from her panting.

Chyna was barely able to grab a breath of air before Cap closed in on her again. Deeper this time, their finges released to bucket of water and it fell to the ground with a soft thuding splash.

The cold watter spilling over their feet introduced the world back to them. Breaking away from each other, Chyna and Cap just staired.

"So....where do I go tonight?" Chyna asked timidly, her face burning. "Skunk Hair's just for tonight and tomorrow you'll be in whats left of Ellison's place until I finish the cabin." Cap said, a small silly smile was stuck to his face. Chyna nodded and looked down at the bucket "lovely" she sighed bending down she picked it up, now empty.

Cap chuckled and took her hand in his, "come on I'll go with you." He said.

"W-what's goin on out there?" Robert E. asked Sarah and she and Arvella stood watching the two from a distance. The girls both gave dreamy sighs "nothin just Cap and Chyna talking" Sarah said as if perfectly pleased before turning on her heel "come on Ma wants us to help with dinner" she added leading her siblings away.

A peaceful night fell over the Tug Valley, everyone rested quietly in their beds, it would be the last night of rest for many across the hills. The creatures slept peacefully under the deep blue blanket of stars.

The sun rose slowly into the sky leaving pale hazey moring, it was colder than most others.

Chyna headed up the creek. Back towards Skunk Hair's Cabin, near the Hatfield Timber Mill. She had just returned from spening some time with Sarah as promised, though Sarah was not happy having to share her with her sister and Cotton as well.

Chyna swung her arms happily as she walked, the feeling for the evening before still lingering over her. Nearly skipping in her steps, she was headed back.

A twig snapped and damp leaves sounded off quietly as pressure was placed on them. "Well it must be my lucky day." A familiar voice sang in a song.

Chyna tensed as she stopped dead in her tracks. Turning slowly she was met with dark hateful eyes. It was the man from the Saloon, in the day litght she could see his face clearly. Mid 30s maybe but looked older, he was slim with sun kissed skin. His face was craved in age lines but below that he had a baby face. A face that didn't have a mean bone in it by looks alone, but this eyes were hateful and his gaze stung like snake venom.

He smiled at her darkly as Chyna's eyes landed on the pistols on his sides.

Chyna shook her head "dont suppose you can -" Chyna fled, not letting him finish. She tore up the creek. She had to make it to Skunk Hair. He was a good shot and he was taller, he cpuld rin this man off right?

Chyna rested easy in being a fast runner but that confidence faded at the sound of a horse behind her. Glancing over her shoulder she could see the man in black was getting closer.

Chyna lept over the creek and ran through the trees, this was an all to recurring event.

Skunk Hair came into view as he stepped away from chopping wood. Chyna bolted to him hanging onto his arm she tried to catch her bteath. "I-it's him, its the man from the Saloon. He is here and he is armed!" She panted franticly. Skunk Hair nodded carefully and ushered Chyna towards the cabin. "You hide, dont come out til i sound for you. Now get." He said. Chyna nodded and ran for the home.

She peeked out of the window kneeling under the window pane her fingers gripping the cold wooden window sill. She watched Skunk Hair go to the creek and rinse off his hands.

He looked up at someone out of Chyna's view, she tried her best to peek around the side of the house but her view was blocked.

"If you're looking for work, Anse only hires folk he knows, his neighbors and his Kin" Skunk Hair said casually to the Man in Black, drying his hands on his pants legs.

The Man in Black smirked. "You got that funny streak of white in your hair, Tom Wallace, must be why they call you Skunk Hair." The man said with a mocking smile. Skunk Hair narrowed his eyes "only my friends call me skunkhair" he growled.

"Calm down, I'm not here to argue with you Tom. I'm here on buisness." The man said. Skunk Hair glanced back at the cabin and Chyna quickly ducked under the window, her pulse beating uproariously in her ears.

"Oh yeah...whats that?" Skunk Hair questioned cautiously. "Im here for you turn yourself in, your under arrest for the murder of Tolbert, Bud and Pharmer McCoy." The man said.

"You got the wrong man I don't know nothing" Skunk Hair said with a slight stammer. "We got witnesses placing you there Tom" the man sighed. "You must be mistaken I aint done nothin" Skunk Hair said.

Chyna cursed under her breath "bounty hunter?" She whispered, she slapped her forhead "I was supposed to tell Anse I-I completely forgot!" She screamed inwardly.

"We can do this the hard way" the man said. Chyna scrambled to her feet and grabbed Skunk Hair's pistole hidden in a small drawer.

She ran out the door "stop!" She called aiming it at the Man in Black awkwardly. "Go on away from here, no bodys gotta get hurt here today." She said.

The man chuckled at her "Chyna I told you to stay inside!" Skunk Hair shouted. "It is my lucky day isn't it? Getting paid and revenge all at once" the man said in amusement.

"You wont touch her." Skunk Hair warned, "Go get Anse" he called back to Chyna. "But-"

"No, go get Anse! Run" Skunk Hair said, his calmnlness convinced her so Chyna ran. The Man in Black went to draw his gun, Skunk Hair aimed his riffle and the man took his shot away from Chyna two gunshots fired.

Chyna stopped and turned around. "Skunk Hair!" She shouted running back as he lay on the ground. "I said get!" Skunk Hair choked. The Man in Black as closing in on Skunk Hair who reached back out for his riffle.

The moment his fingers brushed the steel the man fired twice to Skunk Hair's chest.

Chyna's knees shook and a tremor ran up her body along her spine, like an aftershock. Before she knew it she was running. Faster than she could ever remember. With a fladh of black steel and a cracking thud, Chyna rushed the man and struck him with the pistol. "You bastard! You-"

His fist connected with her jaw, she fell back dazed shaking her head. The man hissed in pain and touched his bleeding crown "this will be the last time you ever take a piece of metal to my head!" He roared in anger. Chyna tried to back away from him but her movements, she had been his so hard her body didn't want to follow instructions.

She could taste her own blood in her mouth and her back tooth felt loose. Tears fell down her cheeks as her hand landed on Skunk Hairs ankle.

A hand grasped her hair and with a viscous tug Chyna was brought to her feet. Her jaw cracked and her neck gave a loud pop as the man smacked his pistol across her face. "It aint nice is it!" He shouted bringing his fist into her gut. Chyna doubled over and blood came from her mouth.

With a trembling leg she kicked him in the leg he was clearly favoring. She hopped for sn old injury as she did so, and she was right. The man cried out and released her. Bree started to run but she couldn't manage a straight line as her vision was doubled and a piercing pain rushed through her temple and jaw.

Chyna fell forward, he body wasn't in any shape to run and her vision was only getting worse. He could kill her, she didnt care, but the image of Skunk Hair she could not let Cap and the Hatfields go without warning.

Rolling onto her side Chyna looked up at the man, "Nothing but an animal aren't ya? Bitch" he said, lifting his black boot he brought his foot down on Chyna and her world started to fade in an out from black. As she struggled to keep her drooping lids open, she watched the man kneel before Skunk Hair and take a knife to his crown.

Her world was soundless, her ears had failed her, but she could imagine the sicking lull of tearing flesh as she watched the man scalp him. Her body finally gave way and she slipped into a thick void.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 5.2K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
128 7 23
Crescent Bloodfang (Cress Fang) was kidnapped along with her twin Terrance (Terry) at a young age. They grew up living with a human couple, one didn'...
290K 17.5K 30
"Sir. I've done my job. Is there anything else?" I smiled cockily. "I specifically asked for a male driver, you're obviously a woman. I should get a...
11.2K 436 28
THIS IS THE SECOND BOOK IN THE GOOD AND THE BAD SERIES. IT IS NOT REQUIRED THAT YOU READ THE FIRST ONE BUT I RECOMMEND THAT YOU SHOULD. *** "I'm not...