Threads

By Fernshade

❝ no matter how far away from you i get, i will always remember you ❞ Britta and Diana have lived their whol... More

Authors Note
~ Spring ~
1, Herbs and Herbivores
2, Dreams and Desperate Thoughts
4, A Boyish Exterior
5, A Dagger, a Bow and a Decision
~ Summer ~
7, Arrogance and Aggravation
8, Wild Horses
9, Couldn't Drag Me Away
10, Practice Makes Progress
11, Thunder Bolt
12, Woman and Willpower
~ Autumn ~
13, Determination is Detrimental
~ Winter ~
14, Silence Between Sisters
14, an Eye for an Eye
~ Spring ~
15, Fight or Flight?
16, Move Like Quicksilver
~ Summer ~
17, Trapped Thief
18, Lucky Escape
19, Faithful Companion
20, Attack and Defence
21, Dark River
22, Fear
23, Feverish
24, Thunderous Realization
25, The Falcon Flies
26, Swallowed by the Mist
27, Letting Go
Epilogue
Authors Note...
Journey

3, Mist and Misgivings

33 7 14
By Fernshade

At five o'clock in the morning the light creeping through the slatted windows was dim. Britta took a deep breath, feeling desolate and empty. She felt something pull on her gut and knew that something was using her, draining her of The Voice. She tried to pull a flame into her hand and only felt tired, none of its bursting light rushing to her finger tips.

It was not that she relied on her so-called 'magic', but without it, she felt empty. She could still sense her sister, but talking to her now would give her a headache, she knew, though it was about the only thing she knew about The Voice.

She had her sister had thought it was normal when they were little. Thankfully then people had assumed it was a game, now Diana ensured they kept it hidden. It was always there as a flame inside of Britta, and she needed only to reach out to it and draw it to the surface to use it. She wondered what would happen if she was free from her sister's disapproval and the chains of society – What could she do with her gift? But with the emptiness inside her, her curiosity with it would wake her sister, and although they were close and loved each other as sisters should, there were times Britta wanted to be alone and her own person rather than just Diana's shadow.

She pulled the blankets off, knowing sleep would continue to evade her, and shivered as the damp air hit her. It was cold, condensation would be running off the windows and beginning to eat away at the sills she and they had cleaned and repainted the day before. She pulled on her clothes, her shirt over her small frame, a skirt draped around her long legs. Everything still smelled like her gathering trip into the forest and made her long to go back.

She pulled her fingers through her long hair, wincing as it caught on the curls. She knew she was stupid to keep it so long, but refused to cut it in the vain hope that she might look like her mother. It went down past her waist and might be half as long again if it didn't fall into wild curls. She couldn't braid it like Diana could, but she would be back before her sister had even known she was gone, and nobody would see her until then.

Britta made her way to the window and pressed her hand to it. It came away dripping with moisture. She sighed quietly; at least it showed that it was warmer in the building than it was outside. She unlatched the window, wincing at the creak it made. Everyone slept on, so she pulled her shawl from its hook by the door, and leaped through the window onto the long, dewy grass outside. She took a moment to unhook her hair from the window latch and then began to idle around the Abbey grounds.

Absentmindedly, Britta made her way into the forest, following the pathway to the stream, wondering if she could check the blackberry vine. The leaves were wreathed in silver frost, but only lightly and the edges of the stream weren't frozen. Spring. Britta smiled.

She sat quietly by the bank for a while, pulling her shawl tightly over her shoulders and watching the silvery mist which swirled around her with each breath. Definitely still chilly.

Feeling more energetic, she walked back to the Abbey. Clambering up the wall, she balanced along the top. The grey stone would be hard on anyone else's feet but for her – as long as she walked lightly – it was fine. After following the course of the wall for a while, she reached the training grounds.

A tree stretched its branches over the wall. Britta grabbed hold of it, careful not to damage any of the leaves, and pulled herself up. Below her, came the shouts and grunts of the men training. She watched curiously for a time, as the silver metal of their swords sliced the air.

Britta? Where are you? Came Diana's voice suddenly. She must have just woken up. Britta felt a small prick of annoyance.

I'm coming, I just went out to the stream. She lied. Watching training was something no proper girl should do.

Why?

Why not?

Just come in will you, before Mistress Core gets here.

Britta shrugged and made her way back. She slipped off her shawl and waited with others while the firm footsteps of Mistress Core came. She frowned disdainfully as if they had inconvenienced her by getting up on time. Britta fought the urge to roll her eyes as the orders were barked at them. Diana finished braiding her hair with a flick of her wrist, and they went to go complete their work in the kitchens and gardens,

By the time it was midday Britta was tired and went straight to the oak tree, Bella and Fee were already there, talking earnestly.

"What were you doing?" Asked Diana. Britta could tell her sister was curious.

"Garden." Said Bella.

"I had to look after the new girl. I had my work cut out. I thought she was going to yell at Mistress Donna for sure!" said Fee.

"What is she like?" asked Britta curiously.

"Kind of spoiled but mostly scared, like the rest of us when we first arrived."

They talked for a few more minutes before Diana sprung up. "Inspection day." She said.

The girls shared worried glances. Britta would be glad not to see the Strange-Man ever again. His cold eyes terrified her. She and Diana used to hold hands, and will themselves to become invisible, hoping they'd never have to meet his eyes. Now, they just looked at the ground, still hoping against hope that they would never be called out. It was the kind of fear Britta thought she would never escape.

They were late to the inspection. Bella and Fee joined the line, but Britta and Diana were left standing at the front. The strange man's eyes met theirs, and, without even looking at the rest of the children, he walked straight towards them. Britta felt fear run through her, but it was too late. She had already met his eyes.

"Come." He said, gripping each of them tightly and leading them to Mistress Core.

The walk to her office had never seemed so long. Britta's eyes tracked the walls, trying to remember everything, in case they never came back. The Strange-Man kept a hand on each of their collars and walked so quickly that Britta had to hurry to keep up. They turned the doorway into their room, and Mistress Core had barely looked up when he spoke.

"I will take these two." He said, in a calm tone. His voice grated against his throat like he drunk shattered glass each morning.

Mistress Core nodded. "Pack your things." She said tartly, giving them each an empty flour sack "And meet me in my office." Then, she began to speak with the man in a fast, hushed tone.

Where will they take us? Asked Britta, shivering with fear.

I don't know. Maybe to another Abbey. Maybe.... I wish I knew. There was fear in Diana's tone, and the blood had drained from her face, leaving it a strange, papery colour. Her hands too, shook as she shoved what little belongings they had into a bag.

We can't go. What about our friends? What about Mistress Layla?

Mistress Core will stop it. Said Diana, false conviction dripping from her voice.

What has she ever done for us?

Britta opened her bag, and pushed in her spare dress and shawl, and the blankets off her bed. There was little else to pack. She fumbled with the corners, trying to tie them shut.

Let's just go. Said Diana. Things might be okay yet.

Okay?

Okay.

They walked slowly back to the office. Mistress Layla was walking past. She took one glance at their bags and looked achingly sad.

Britta thought she heard her whisper 'I'm sorry' as she walked away.

Mistress Core was sitting in a large armchair which seemed to groan under her weight. The Strange-Man was sitting opposite.

"I fail to see." She was saying. "Why you would want girls as useless as they are. The mother probably gave them up because of that. No use to your cause." Britta felt her fear begin to dissipate, replaced with a burning anger. "Not that they'd have gained much by staying with her. Nasty women." She now seemed to be talking directly to the twins.

Britta felt Diana slip her hand into hers. There was a smoldering anger which had arisen inside her too; her tight grip offered Britta no comfort.

"Probably sold her body. Couldn't have brought up one child, let alone two. These girls have bad blood in them. They take after her in looks, that's for certain."

The strange man was nodding, unaware of the fire which burned in Britta's eyes. "You are certain of their origins?" He asked.

Mistress Core pursed her lips, and nodded. Her cheeks were very red, but there was little colour elsewhere in her face.

"You found them by a river, didn't you?" He asked, in a deathly quiet voice. His tone sent a chill down Britta's back.

Mistress Core met his eyes steadily. "Yes, I did." She said finally, but very quietly.

The strange man's eyes lit up, and he sent them a long, searching look. "You are aware who I am searching for." He said, in a low, dangerous voice.

"You're searching for princesses and you have need for warriors. The former are people who are well-bred, and look it too. Not street-rats."

Her words pushed them past breaking point. At that moment, Britta hated Mistress Core. All those years of working for her, and suddenly she was insulting their very identity. Inside her, she could feel the pressure building. She felt the tingling in her fingertips, her eyes turned hard and cold. Arcs of lightning ran up and down her body and she channeled it into her fingers. She was burning up, evaporating into the anger-filled air. She wanted to release it, wanted to burn Mistress Core into the ground, beside her Diana backed away.

Britta? Britta don't! Even in her head, the voice was a shout.

Britta pulled her sister down at the last moment and changed her aim, scarcely inches above Mistress Cores head. Her anger-red energy scorched a hole through the roof and made the whole Abbey shake. Then there was silence. She stood up shaking, her fingers where blackened, her eyes heavy. Mistress Core lay on the ground, the Strange-Man nearby.

Diana knelt beside her. Her eyes met Britta's squarely. "I can't tell." She said, finally. "She isn't breathing."

Then she turned and left the room. Britta stayed for a moment longer and then, took the money box on the desk. Wordlessly she followed Diana out.

We have to run. They'll think we tried to kill her. There were shouts from outside; people had thought the shaking was an earthquake.

Or have killed her. Britta said grimy. The kitchen. We need to get things from it – quick.

Britta hurried through the hallways to the kitchen and pulled the fire starting kit off the wall and a pan from the cupboard. As she turned to go she saw the sharp hunting knife hanging from a belt on the wall. Britta slipped the knife around her waist and pulled her shirt down so it was hidden. The bundle was small as they folded the shawls and put them on the blankets, not needing them in the warming air. Last, there was the money box Britta had taken from Mistress Core's desk. There was no time to check how much was inside.

Diana led them past the washing line on the way past and grabbed trousers to add to their bundle. Britta was determined not to stay a moment longer than necessary. Diana shouldered the bundle and walked out of Weatherston Abbey.

Britta wondered if Mistress Core would create a logical explanation for what had happened. She looked at her blackened hands and scrubbed them on her skirt. Then she turned away and followed Diana out, stepping through the entranceway. Some could say they had a whole life ahead of them. But they were wrong.

Their whole life was in the bundle on their back.

***

Well that was depressing... Ah well, the first part was fun. Thanks for reading <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

407 64 52
A verdant valley brimming with life, a tradition of natural magic, and a royal house lead by generations of powerful queens. Until a renegade sorcere...
3.1K 66 9
Heather Westergaurd was a true princess. She was beautiful, kind, and ever gentle, for these where the values her father taught her to be, at least i...
56.7K 4.6K 39
In an island in the middle North Atlantic ocean lies a Kingdom that is called Settadel which has a ruler named King Tristan Powell who is married to...
Reign ✔ By Kajree Gautom

Historical Fiction

13.9K 642 23
HR : #42 in HF There comes a time in life when you are not very sure of who exactly you are. You get confused in accepting yourself. You get engulf...