Lullaby

By StAl2LiGhT

(Based on the Academy series by C.L.Stone. Do not copy as a lot of this is original work from other stories I... More

1• Dance Forever With Me
2• The Guardians
3• Doctoring the Broken
4• Unraveling Our Demons
5• Soul Within a Soul
6• Wakey Wakey, Eggs & Bakey
7• Monsters are cute
8• Lycorns & Knomepyres
10• Traitorous Organs
11• The Damned
12• Aries
13• Lulu Phone Home Part 1
Lullaby OneShot~ What Could Have Been
A Lulu Mini ~ Lullaby's Christmas Tree
Cover Archives
Lullaby Big News
Publishing Announcement

9• Stellar Genetics

10.3K 416 227
By StAl2LiGhT

When I fell back into reality everything was different. It came in fragments, in waves of clarity. First there'd been the darkness that faded into the negative light. The negative light faded into reality until I could once again see the bedroom I'd been in before I was lost in Cosmia.

Cosmia.

The name makes my eyes flutter close in pleasurable content. Cosmia was the make believe world within my mind. I could even go as far as saying I was obsessed with it. I painted it like an addiction, wanting, needing to get it out of my head and onto a real surface, just so I could touch it.

Cosmia was a magical wonderland I could escape to when my dreary concrete cage became to much to bear. I don't know when it first appeared. I don't even know if I created it. It's just always been there, my comfort in times of absolute misery.

I look around to take in the scenery that definitely changed while I was gone. No longer was it just Luke and Gabriel in here. They all stood around me, eyes wide and transfixed on something in front of them. Sean held me in his arms as we both sat on the ground.

I look to where they are and gasp when I see what has their attention. Sean squeezes me tighter," Don't panic. It's okay."
Silly Sean. I'm not scared.

I giggle in glee and wiggle from his arms to crawl towards the Lycorn and Knomepyre standing right in front of me. This was a dream come true! They've never been real before. Only in my mind and with the paint I dab on the walls do they exist.

I stand as the Lycorn turns to face me. The boys gasp and take a step towards me. Their hands are reaching for me, their mouths open to warn me. The Lycorn bows his head to me with one paw curled to his furry chest before he eases forward to bump his forehead to mine.

I smile brightly and bury my hands in his fur around his ears and nuzzle my nose to his snout. A  canine purr rumbles from deep within him.

"What the fuck?", Nathan says softly, looking lost and confused.
North steps towards me, eyes narrowed in concern. Softly he says to me," Baby?"
I look up at him with my wide curious eyes," Yeah?"
He swallows," Whats going on? What is this?"

I bite my lip, looking back into the neon pink eyes of the Lycorn. I'd never had to explain anything before. No one ever wanted my opinions or thoughts. Silence was revered in my household. Especially from me.

I was the girl whose voice they stole away.

Like an instinct I'd always had even though I'd never done this before, I step away from the Lycorn towards North. I stand on my tippy toes and reach one hand upwards towards his face while my other hand stayed firmly laced within the Lycorn's fur. North walks closer to me so my opening and closing hand can reach him and bends slightly at the waist so my hand can touch his cheek.

I stare directly into his eyes, feeling for the exact silvery string swirling with fuchsia and purple fog that connects me to him, just like Jack instructed. North gasps once I find it and pull him into my mind, his hand reaching up to gently hold mine in place.

Silas grunts as North pulls him into the connection. One by one the others, with the combined help of North and Silas, are drug into my mind.

A little girl sings quietly to herself and smiles as she paints on the concrete walls of her room. She paints a world no other has ever laid eyes on. It's a magical kingdom some might view as nightmarish, but to the little girl it was a wondrous land she felt right at home in.

An older girl sadly sits against the bone chilling walls, a hand softly caressing the picture she painted of Jack, her only friend. They were moving soon. She'd have to leave them. Years of work she spent trying to recreate the world in her mind she loved so much and it was all being snatched away from her unfairly. But what could she do?

She didn't exist to anyone outside of her concrete cage.

In a dream the girl plays with her creations. The lycorns protect her, her own personal guards Jack himself designated for her. The knomepyres wreak havoc on the much kinder citizens of Cosmia. Fox fairies prance around her feet as she laughs freely chasing batlights into the unknown. That's okay though. Batlights always lead you in the right direction. They take you to the path you didn't even know you needed.

Slowly we all float away from the lavender grassed ground littered with black skeleton trees that are lit up with multicolored paper lanterns that glow almost eerily. The view shifts as they all suddenly pause. Now they're looking up at the starry night sky. Three moons decorate it. The largest lavender moon with its silver rings rests on the ground, partially obscured from sight. The slightly smaller orange moon and the tiny pink moon are far higher.

Lullaby's voice echoes in their minds," The sun never rises here. Not since the King of Suns died. The Queen of Stars mourns him. She keeps the sun locked away in her dungeon where no one but her can bask in it."

They're suddenly back on the ground. A headless man holding a Jack-o-Lantern in the crook of his left arm stands before them in black attire and a black cape blowing behind him in a nonexistent wind.

"Jack tried to free the sun, but was caught by The Queen of Stars. She beheaded him and banished him from her kingdom. Now he lives here in Cosmia's wilderness. He's my best friend."

They're all pulled from her mind. It's a dizzying process. They're pulled back until the planet grows into a speck, they fly through the Stars, through galaxies, and past a thousand suns.

Until they land back in their minds, in reality.

North's eyes waver as they stare into my own. Slowly they close and he nuzzles his cheek into the hand he holds cupped to it. They open once again to stare at me sadly. His lips plant a kiss on my palm when he lightly turns his head," Never again will we let them take from you. Your world is yours."

Tears well up in my eyes. He understands. I wasn't overreacting like mother said. He understands. He understands how much Cosmia means to me. I can't live without it. I won't.

North's fingers pet my own. His dark eyes glinting with a silent promise, shining with compassion for my loss. I had so little, but now I own so much. I have things I need, things I want, things I didn't even know I wanted.

Most of all, I have them. I could fight a thousand wars if it means they get to stay beside me. I'd destroy any who tried to take them away.
They're mine.

North smiles at me softly," That's right baby. We're yours. You're ours." His eyes glint with similar promises of death and pain to any who try to tear us apart. Our souls wove tighter around each other at my acceptance.

I'm not scared. Not anymore. Not of them. Not even of North who's the scariest person I know.

Gabriel murmurs in the background," Holy shit. What the fuck was that?"

Silas answers," It's what was painted on the walls of her room."
"This is so bizarre.", Nathan groans," Is this her secondary gift?"
"Seems to be.", Kota murmurs seriously," Makes sense I suppose. Her voice is a form of spell casting. In a way so are these illusions."
Luke steps towards me until he stands right beside me. He lifts a hand, hesitant at first, before he lays it on top of the Lycorn's head.  He gasps under his breathe," It's not an illusion. I can touch it."

Victor mimics Luke's actions," It's solid. Summoning magic? Is that even related to spell casting?"

Suddenly Gabriel yelps and jumps away while looking at the ground in shock," The fuck?!"
The little Knomepyre smacked his lips gleefully and tries to lunge for his ankle again. He cackles madly while chasing Gabriel across the room. Gabriel yells out frantically," Definitely real!"

Kota nods," It's a form of it. Question is though, where does she summon them from? Another planet?"

Nathan jumps in to help Gabriel, blocking the vicious knomepyre's path before kicking it across the room. The Knomepyre squeals as it soars to the wall and combusted into colorful stardust when it collided. A ghostly voice squeaks out," Damn!" As it disappeared.

Gabriel leans against the wall, panting, his hand clutching at his heart," Oh my fucking god."

I shake my head rapidly and point to my forehead," Here."
They all stare down at me looking lost.
Kota steps towards me as North backs away. Kota crouches down in front of me. He gives me a soft smile and taps at my noggin much like I did," In here you say?"

I nod," Yahuh. I made it."
His eyes soften," You made it? Why?"
I look down, eyes shimmering with a distant sadness and loneliness I'd felt not all that long ago," I was lonely. They played with me."
I look back up into his emerald eyes that shine with misery and grief. He pulls me into his arms and nuzzles his nose into the crook of his neck. He whispers for my ears only," You'll never be alone again. I promise."

"You can't promise that.", I whisper back.
He pulls away, holding onto my shoulders, and smiles softly at me," I can."
I hold my pinky up to him," Pinky promise?"
He chuckles along with the others and locks his pinky around mine," Pinky promise."

I nod and say seriously," If you break your promise I get to chop your pinky off and feed it to the knomepyres." Kota blinks at me in shock. I just blink up at him.
Luke snorts beside me before hugging me to him and laughing. Gabriel looks at me slightly disturbed," You've got a very disturbing psycho streak in you Trouble. Didn't know you had it in ya."

I giggle lightly like he told a funny joke. He laughs nervously," A very psychotic streak."

Luke shakes with laughter as he sways me side to side in his arms," I think it's adorable."
Sean chuckles," You think everything she does is adorable."
"Because everything she does is adorable.", Luke coos.

He lifts me into his arms and grins at me merrily," She can chop me all to pieces as she wants. Then we'll let the knomepyres eat me up." He buries his mouth into the crook of my neck and playful nibbles on it as he says," Om nom nom nom!"

I giggle happily trying to escape his nibbles. He pulls away laughing just as happily. Sean comes over to us with a soft smile," Now, now. Enough of those giggles. She'll have us all rolling on the ground if she keeps it up."
I giggle even more at his words. He covers his mouth as he tries to stop his own giggles, making him snort.

Hands suddenly weave into my hair making me jump in Luke's arms. "Chill out. It's just me.", Gabriel mumbles around something in his mouth. I look over my shoulder at him to see a hair band between his lips. He grunts and swats my bare thigh," Turn around."

I pout at Luke who grins at me in amusement. He playfully rubs his nose with mine as Gabriel ties my hair up in a high ponytail. I wrinkle my nose at him with a smile.
"There.", Gabriel says. He traces my long hair with gently fingers," You really shoulder let me trim it. You're always sitting on it and shit."

My eyes widen and I swing my ponytail around so I can grab it. I hold the hair tightly in my hands and glomp Luke's chest," No!"

The room fills with chuckles while a Gabriel huffs," Damn it woman. You can't walk around getting your hair caught in shit all the time. It's hazardous."
I shake my head that's buried in Luke's chest," No!"
"That's enough Gabriel.", Owen lightly chastises," Remember what we discussed?"

Gabriel groans," Yeah I remember. But you can't tell me it's not bugging the shit out of you!"
I peak at Owen from my hidey spot in Luke's arms. He gives me a millimeter smile when our eyes lock," I think it's lovely. It suits her."
I smile happily at him before sitting up and turning to stick my tongue out at the meanie buttface. Gabriel's jaw drops," Hey!"

He points at me with a glower," Stick that tongue back in before I bite it trouble!"
I stick it out further," Butthead!"
His head jerks back in shock," Why you little shit!"
"Meanie buttface!"
Gabriel tries to keep glaring at me, but his lips twitch up, betraying his amusement,"Oh just you wait."
"No!"

The room is full of laughter at our exchange. Sean takes me from Luke and carries me over to the bed. He taps me on the nose with a finger after he sets me down," Okay miss priss. Back to what we were discussing. What happened earlier pumpkin?"

Silas hands me Macaron after I tilt my head at Sean in question," When?"
I hug Macaron tightly in my arms as Sean pets my hair and says," When you were with Gabriel and Luke. Can you explain what caused your little episode?"

"Everything got spinney and dizzy. The colors changed.", I murmur.
"Changed?", he inquired with a furrowed brow.
I nod," Light colors became black and glowy and dark colors became too bright."
He nods," And after that?"
"I was falling. There was this black hole trying to suck me in. It was very cold.", I mutter dejectedly and bury my nose in Macaron's hair.

Why is it always cold?

He pets my hair in comfort," You're okay pumpkin. I promise. Can you tell me the rest or do you need a break?"
I shook my head once," No. I'm okay."
He smiles," Okay. What happened next."
"There were broken mirrors everywhere. They were being sucked in too. I saw this lady. She was very pretty."
He gives me a soft smile," Was she? What did she look like?"

I kept my eyes down while playing with Macaron's hair," She had dark purple hair that fell to her knees and her eyes looked like comet fire. She was really pale and small and wore weird clothes."

They all share looks over my head. Sean turns back to me," What was she doing?"
"She was talking to this man while she was holding a baby. They looked at each other like you look at me."
His eyes widen fractionally," The baby, what did she look like?"
I tilt my head and wrinkle my nose in confusion," How do you know it was a girl?"
He smirks," Lucky guess. Now tell me what she looked like."
I shrug," I couldn't see much, but I know it had lilac hair like mine."

Sean nods, eyes excited," Do you know where the woman went?"
I nod. They all look at me expecting more, but I just bury my face in my stuffy's hair again. Sean bends his head down so he can look me in the eye. He pets my hair and gives me an encouraging smile," Pookie. Where did she go? Can you tell us?"

I nibble on my lower lip for a bit before finally nodding. I get up and grab Sean's hand. He shares a curious look with the others but follows when I tug on his arm. He's patient as he follows me to the window where I pull the curtains back. He looks down at me, confused," I don't understand pumpkin."

I hug Macaron with one arm and point towards the starry night sky out the window, making a grunting noise.
Sean stares up at the sky in awe before swiftly turning to face the others. They all look wide eyed and excited by this.

Silas mutters," Holy shit."
Gabriel shakes his head, a grin slowly forming on his lips," You said it big guy."
Victor looks to Kota," Any idea what exactly she could be?"

Kota shrugs," Not really. Stellar beings don't exactly mingle with Earth all that often. They exist outside the realm of time."

Sean swiftly crouched down in front of me, eyes dancing and lips smiling. He holds me gently by the shoulders as he asks," Did she say anything? Anything at all?"

I nod, but can't find my words.

Gabriel huffs impatiently," Fuck this. Can you just show us like you did earlier?"
I nod and smile brightly, far more comfortable doing that then explaining it."
Sean nods at me, smiling in understanding," Okay. You'll have to touch Si or North. I don't think it'll work on the rest of us just yet."

I nod again and run over to Silas. He grins and bends a bit at the waist, open arms ready for me. The moment I leap, he catches me and lifts me up. As soon as he stops adjusting me I cup his face in my hands and my eyes tingle.

He smiles when he sees my eyes change, his eyes softening in adoration," I'll never get tired of seeing that."

This time he's prepared when he's pulled in. The others, like before, follow us into the cosmic abyss through their connection with Silas.

The woman stands in a field, holding the lilac haired baby in her arms. Sadly she stares down at it, her fingers tracing her little star's cherubic face," Oh Lullaby. I wish I could stay."

She smiles sadly at the child as glowing sunlight tears stream from her solar eyes," You're my everything. I hope you know that. I hope you remember that when I return."

The silhouette man places a gentle hand on her arm," Do you really have to leave? We need you." He pets the baby's hair lovingly," She needs her mother."

The woman sobs daintily," I want to stay. Please believe me." She holds her child closer to her face where she rubs her cheek against the top of her little head," I can't fight it. I have no choice. The call of my comet is too strong."

The silhouette man covers his face with one hand and sobs into it," I love you so much. I can't bear going on without you. Please don't leave us."

The woman kisses him, their child pressed gently between them.
"You have to be strong for her. She's going to need her father more now than ever. Raise her like the princess you think she is. Spoil her rotten, let her enjoy this mortal world.", she whispers pleadingly against his lips.

"Shouldn't she go with you? Isn't she like you?", he sniffles out.
The woman shakes her head with a small sad smile," She's half human. If I take her she'll be cursed with the same fate as I, damned to a lonely existence amongst the stars. I was lucky to be bound to a comet. My own mother was bound to a barren planet, never able to leave. We're cursed with solitude. She'll be cursed too if I take her."

She stares down at her child and rocks her in her arms," If she remains with you, her fate will be altered. She'll belong to this planet with you and your race. She'll be able to play with other children and fall in love. She can have as many children as she wants and have dreams she gets to accomplish. How could I ever take that away from her? I must go alone."

The man pulls away, angry," How could you leave us? We're soulmates Galexi! That's what you said! You told me we're meant to be together forever and yet you're leaving me! You're leaving me!"

Galexi sobs," I'm so sorry. I don't have a choice!"
"Of course you fucking do! You could finish the bond and we could all go together!"
Galexi glares at him furiously," How can you be so selfish? She's our daughter! Do you really want to damn her to a life all alone? We'll be together only briefly. Eventually she will come of age and she will be taken from us! Do you seriously mean that?"

All of the anger leaves the man in an exhale," No."
Galexi cups his cheek," Take care of our daughter. Promise me. Promise me you'll be strong enough until she doesn't need you anymore."

Weakly he chokes out," I promise."

A comet with a red and purple tail of fire appears in the sky. Galexi kisses her daughter's forehead and whispers,"Farewell my little Lullaby. We will meet again. If ever you're alone or lost, look to the stars and I will guide you."

When she places Lullaby in her Father's arms she whispers words the elder Lullaby didn't hear the last time she saw this memory. Galexi steps back and straightens her shoulders, her face serious and ready for battle. She truly looked like a Stellar Spirit in that moment.

Her fingers move in a lazy wave as she tearily smiles at her child for the last time this century," Remember who you are my little star. Remember why I gave you your name. You've been blessed by the cosmos with one of our rarest gifts. Use it wisely. Use it well."

As the comet left the starry sky above, Galexi vanished in an instant, like she'd never been there to begin with.

The scene vanished and they were all pulled into the next memory Lullaby saw.

Three year old Lullaby sat at the kitchen table as her father shot back another glass of his whiskey. She's humming as she draws the exact image he told her to, trying her best to get each detail perfect.

She was so happy to finally spend time with daddy. He's always so sad and distant. He can barely stand looking at her and never stays home anymore. But that's okay. She'll be happy enough for the both of them and maybe, just maybe, her happiness will be so infectious he'll be happy too.

She hoped so anyways.

Lullaby looks up from her art to eye the half finished spiral book they'd been slowly filling up each day. She secretly hoped that once they were finished he'd read it to her for a bedtime story.

Daddies do that, right?

Lullaby looks over at her father curiously. His face is all scruffy and he always seems to have rings under his eyes. Not to mention he stinks like he bathed in the whiskey he liked to drink so much.

Silly daddy.

She smiles at him brightly," Hey daddy?"
He drags a hand down his face and grunts out," Yeah?"
"Why did she name her lullaby? Is it because it's my name too? Is this story about me?"

He snarls," Don't Be fucking ridiculous! It's a stupid fairytale!"
She flinches back a little before hesitantly asking him another question," Then why did she name her that?"

Daddy groans and pours more whiskey in his glass," Because of her gift. It's what those space freaks called it."

Lullaby's eyes shine with wonder. She leans in closer," Really? What's it do?"

He groans again and throws back the whole glass in one swallow this time, spilling some on his wrinkled business shirt. He only answers her after his glass is full again," She can control and allure all manner of beasts with her voice. There. Happy now!"

She flinches back in her seat with a bashful nod.
He slams back his glass again," Good. Now shut the hell up!"

Nothing else is said between the two as she finishes the page to the storybook.
She watches him with a dejected expression after he snatched up the finished page and puts it in the book, only to walk away without a word.

I don't think he's going to read me bedtime stories, she thinks glumly.

Her eyes are drawn to the window where the stars twinkle brightly in the sky. She watches them for hours, daydreaming of the day she's finally allowed to see the world outside of their isolated property. She dreams she's flying through the stars with the Stellar Spirit in the story. She smiles at Lullaby happily as they laugh and play, the entire Cosmos theirs to explore.

One day, she thinks.
One day.

She giggles to herself when she thinks she spotted a garden gnome with fangs in the whispy clouds floating by.

I pull away from Silas, confused and lost. I hadn't meant to show that to them. That hadn't been what I'd seen at all. Silas watches every slight change in my expression carefully. Unsure and scared, I hide my mouth behind my fists.

"That fucking asshole!", North bellows before punching the wall. I flinch and whimper before burying my face under Silas' chin. He holds the back of my neck gently and rubs his thumb across my pulse reassuringly," Calm down North. She thinks you're mad at her."

Loud stomping footsteps come towards us. I try to burrow myself deeper into Silas with every step. The steps stop right beside us before I'm gently pulled off of Silas and cuddled into North's chest. Too afraid to look him in the eyes, I immediately hide in his neck too.

He rocks me in his arms, but remains quiet. The others watch us quietly until someone decides to break the silence.
"I can't believe that guy. He promised her. She was his mate and he broke his promise. That's unforgivable.", Victor cooley bites out.
"Indeed. It's dishonorable at best.", Owen says with an icy controlled voice.

Someone else walks over towards us and begins to pet my hair. When he speaks I'm nearly thrown off. My meanie never sounds so heartbroken and is never soft spoken," Poor Lulu. You've been all alone your whole life, huh?"

"Exactly what her mom didn't want for her.", Victor spits out.

Kota cuts in, trying to placate everyone's tempers," Let's all calm down. She's still healing. She doesn't need this stress. We can all discuss this later, privately."
Sean agrees," Exactly. She's got new wounds from this whole ordeal. The last thing she needs is us acting like cavemen around her."

"Yeah.", Gabriel whispers to them as he massages my scalp while North holds me to him as tightly as he psychically can," She needs us to be strong for her."

It's quiet again for a short moment. North shifts to look at Gabriel and whatever was said between them makes him nod. Gabriel walks away towards the bed with a North following close behind. I peak out from my hidey place to see Gabriel pulling the covers to my bed back. North maneuvers me until he's carrying me like a princess and places me gently on the bed.

Gabriel climbs in next to me and waits until North has finished taking his heavy boots off and lays down on my other side, before he pulls the covers over us

I lay on my back with my mouth hidden behind my fists, watching them both warily. North's somber face stares down at me as Gabriel snuggles me close to him. Luke brings over Macaron and lays her on my tummy, waiting until she's squeezed tightly in my arms before kissing my forehead.

I quietly tell Luke as he's bent over Gabriel to reach me," Im not tired though."
Luke chuckles, but North intercepts anything he was about to say," That's fine baby."
Gabriel holds me tighter for a moment," Just relax Lulu. We've gotcha."

Luke winks at me as he stands straight. He doesn't move away though, letting me watch him like I want. He turns to the others with a more serious expression, a hand on his hip," So what does this all mean? What is she?"

I tense a bit, unsure of how to take this turn of conversation. Totally in tune with me, my snuggle buddies immediately react. North scoots closer to me and begins to pet my hair back from my face while Gabriel pecks me on the cheek and rubs my arms up and down. I just squeeze Macaron tighter knowing she'll still be my friend even if they change their mind.

They had told me I was like them, but I don't think so anymore. That's why they're trying to figure out what I am.
Maybe they were wrong. Maybe I am a demon. Maybe I'm a really bad person like mother said.

I shiver violently as the cold starts to breed within me again, despite North's presence. Gabriel looks at me in worry. North wraps an arm around me and buried his lips in my ear," Calm down baby. Everything's okay. You're safe. We're not going anywhere."

Sean storms over to us, eyes narrowed with concern," What's wrong?"
Gabriel raises his head off the pillow to talk to him," Dunno. She tensed up out of nowhere and now it feels like I'm hugging an iceberg."

North glares at Gabriel and raises his hand to hit him I think, but Luke beats him to it. Grinning broadly, Luke chops Gabriel across the head," Be nice."
Gabriel glares at Luke while rubbing his head," How the fuck was that not nice? Icebergs are cute...in an abominable snowman kinda way."

Sean rolls his eyes and crawls onto the bed until he's on all four over me. Seriously he asks me," Are you okay?"
I hide my nose under Macaron and shrug. His eyes soften. Gently, he raises his hand to my cheek and pets it with the back of his knuckles," Tell me. Tell me what's wrong pookie."

I hide even my eyes under my stuffy this time and shake my head violently. I'm scared they'll leave if I ask.
They can't leave. They're mine.

Sean sighs sadly," Lullaby, please talk to me. You're starting to worry me."

I don't answer even though I want to. The words are stuck in my throat. Sean twists his lips and goes to back off of me, deciding to give me space. Quick as lightning, my hand shoots out to grab ahold of the front of his shirt. He stops pulling away and looks down at me confused. I open my eyes trying to tell him as I stare in his grass green orbs, not to go.

He gives me a gentle smile and grabs my hand to hold in his," Okay. I'll stay."

He pulls the covers back after kicking off his shoes and lifts me into his lap. He holds my head to his heart as I sit sideways over his legs.

The others rush to take the focus off of me after I start squirming under their intense eyes.
I bury my face in his shirt, dropping Macaron in favor of grasping desperately as his blue button up. I was scared that if I let go of him, he'd disappear forever and I'd never see him again.

"There's not many cosmic species that are bound to one place. Perhaps a spirit or goddess.", Kota answers Luke's question.
Gabe snorts from beside me in bed, taking to sitting up since I now was. He grins over at me teasingly," Guess that means you're an alien."

Luke bounces over to where I can see him again. He rocks back in his heels while grinning energetically," Nope. She's a Martian. That's way cuter."
I bury my face in Sean's chest to hide my smile.
Sean chuckles and starts to pet my hair again.

Ruining the light mood, North seriously states," This changes everything."
It does?"
"We can't rely on the Soul archives on how to deal with her anymore.", he finishes.

Deal with me?

Owen nods at him," Agreed. If she has Stellar blood in her, everything will work differently."
"Should we consult the Seer?", Sean asks his friend.
Owen looks to the ground with crossed arms, deep in thought," It wouldn't be a bad idea. He may have seen this before."

Gabe sits forward, eyes very serious," Does this mean she's in danger?"
Sean sighs and pulls me a closely to him as he can," She could be. Her magic may not ever balance out. Many stellar entities have a type of magic that's constantly evolving. When we photograph a human Soul, their magic is single colored and a perfect calm orb. The stellar races we've documented all have magic that's constantly shifting. It changes colors and forms various shapes, much like how the universe forms."

Victor narrows his eyes at Sean from across the room. He's lazily leaned against the wall with his hands in his front pockets," Then how will we know when to mark her?"

Solemnly, Sean says," We won't. She'll just start to freeze like she did the last time. It could very well be the same schedule we've predicted or we might have to do it sooner than expected."

Nathan nods sharply," Then she can't be left alone. Ever. Someone needs to be with her at all times to be able to call the Guardians next in line."
Kota looks towards him," That's a good idea. We need to find a way to tell when she's ready though. Even if it's normal for her race to have sporadic magic, she's isn't entirely like them. She's half human and we all know how unhealthy it is for humans to have unbalanced magic."

Everyone thinks this over quietly for a bit. I watch them all anxiously, nervous about what this all means. To think this is all happening because I got caught singing.

Finally, Victor looks up and says," North and Silas said her soul spoke to them. What if they try to diagnose her that way?"

Sean sits up straight, looking like he had an epiphany," That might just work!" He immediately looks to North," Try it."

North nods and looks down at me. I stare up at him, wide eyed, and start to shake with fear. What's he going to do to me?

He gives me a soft encouraging smile while grabbing my chin, rubbing his thumb across it," It's nothing scary I promise. I'm just going to read a little deeper than normal. Okay?"

I slowly nod and whisper," Okay."

His lips twitch up a little more," Close your eyes baby. Focus on Sean's heartbeat. It'll be over before you know it."

I relax into Sean entirely, closing my eyes and clenching even tighter to his shirt. Sean brings Macaron up to hold against my side and covers my other ear by pressing it to his chest until all I can hear is his heart.

It's slow and steady, healthy and calm.

Nothing happens for a few minutes as North waits until all of my defenses are down. I feel it the moment he forces his way through the bond, tracing our string further than ever before. It isn't painful, but it is uncomfortable. It feels like he's not suppose to be in there.

I shudder violently when he reaches the Soul within. It reacts violently, throwing a tantrum at the intrusion.
Sean's voice tumbled into my ear through his chest," Shit, hurry up. She's starting to freeze."

North merely grunts in response. He pushes in deeper upsetting it greatly. North's seems to hold the Soul within me in his grasps and it slowly calms. Sean relaxes after he does this.

North lingers within me for a while before quickly pulling out. I slouch into Sean entirely, feeling like so very tired.
"Well?", Kota inquires.
"It's closer than we predicted. She's not venting her magic and it's escalating the situation."

I squeeze myself into a tight ball, really not liking this conversation anymore.
Am I broken?
Do they not want me anymore?
Am I Bad?

Sean makes me sit up in his lap and look him in the eyes. He looks down at me with a very serious expression while holding my chin firmly in place," We can't put it off any longer Lulu. You're making yourself sick holding it all in."

My part my lips slightly," But..."
He shakes his head firmly," No buts. There isn't much we wouldn't do for you, but we refuse to just stand by and watch you suffer needlessly."

I nibble my lip with worry, tilting my head downwards, though I didn't dare look away from his upset eyes," Do I have to?"

Gabriel looks at the others with a desperate look," Isn't there anything else we can do? She's not ready for this yet."
Everyone's quiet as they think this over. Kota finally comes up with a solution of sorts, but I don't get to find out what it is.
"There is something we can do to aid her." Sean tenses as do Gabriel and Victor.

"I don't think now is the time to bring that up.", Victor says coldly.
Kota narrows his eyes at him," It needs to be addressed. We can't keep this from her. She wants another solution and drinking our bl-."

"No!", Victor snaps out. "Don't you dare say it! She's under too much stress as it is. We're turning her whole world upside down, taking away her choice in love, telling her she has to go to that god awful school with us! It's enough! She's barely been awake three days and we're drowning her in our world without letting her come up for air!"

I hide my mouth behind Macaron's hair, eyes downcast and sad. This is all my fault that they're fighting. I'm such a burden.
It's all my fault.

"I'll do it.", I whisper.

Sean leans in to hear me better as do North and Gabriel. "What was that beautiful?"
I look up at him slowly, scared to go through with my impulsive promise. I make myself say the words that'd so easily slipped out before, but now want to stay put.
"I'll do it.", I whisper even quieter.

Sean sighs with relief and pulls me to him while Gabriel kisses my shoulder sweetly," Thank god."
North bends down to look me in the eyes. He looks very solemn and serious," We'll be right there the entire time. We won't let anything bad happen to you."

Victor walks over to us and holds out his arms for me. He looks dejected and upset," Come on princess. Let's go outside."

I hesitantly crawl off of Sean's lap and into Victor's loving hold, Macaron tightly held to my chest. She's my friend. She'll keep me company even if the boys throw me out.

🦋

Victor

Lullaby clings to me like a terrified child, as I dutifully carry her towards Sean's back door. I hold her as tightly as I dare, laying sweet kisses on her face every chance I can.

I wasn't okay with this. At all.

I knew all too well how it feels to be forced to do something I didn't want to do. I was afraid we would snuff out the joy she feels when she sings, afraid we'd blow out her heart song like a wayward flame on a candle.

I was born in the late 1800s, in a time when classical piano was still the latest fashion. I grew up with a golden spoon in my mouth, given every material thing I could ever desire. Like all things that sound too good to be true, there was a catch.

I could never laugh freely, or have a personality of my own. My existence was merely one of great standing - Victor the piano prodigy and heir to the Morgan fortune. I could never be more than that.

I was to marry a wealthy heiress and have as many children as I could. I was to always be diplomatic and never show undignified emotions. My laugh had to just so - I couldn't snort and cackle or make obnoxious sounds. My words had to be eloquent and dignified, laced with proprietary and high born educated vocabulary. I couldn't just throw something on from my wardrobe. Nothing in my previous life was simple.

The one thing that gave me sweet relief from it all, was slowly destroyed as my parents turned it into a burdening chore. The hours I'd spend getting lost in the keys of my piano became hours of practicing absolute perfection for some performance my father had scheduled.

So I rebelled as most children do when coddled and stifled. I jumped into unfair fights, I fed the hungry, I saved the damsels with their glittery eyes. All I did in the shadows of night, where my renowned face couldn't be identified.
It gave me the freeing release the keys of my piano once had.

One night, I made a mistake.

A group of low class men were trying to rape a young girl with Scarlett hair. The poor thing had been hysterical.
My mistake?
It was all an act.

If I'd been less impulsive, less fueled by my need to be useful to the world, to be more than just a pawn in the rich man's game - I'd seen the little tells to their skit I'd missed. How her tears never fell, how her dress had been ripped my a sharp blade instead of groping fingers, how the men were gentle with her.

That mistake led to my demise.
Twenty two  - the number of times they stabbed me in the gut.
That was my story, my ending - the rich handsome piano prodigy, killed for his empty wallet.

Except that wasn't the last chapter in my story.

I look down at the quivering girl in my arms as Kota opens the door for us. She's so beautiful and pure, untouched by this polluted world. Her oddities are endearing and make her uniquely perfect for us. Perfect in a way I never imagined.

When I was still mortal, I'd compose grand compositions of a true eternal love that'd be just mine. I'd imagine a faceless girl who loved me for me and no one else. That wasn't in my cards however. Fate gave me a second chance along with my brothers. I was gifted immortality, strength no mortal man could ever possess, and with a family that cared for me as I was, as who I'd grow to become. My fate was to share this beautiful creature with my brothers.

She was the greatest gift of all, that hadn't even known I'd wanted. No amount of money in this world could ever buy me something as precious as her.

Lullaby looks up at me, her glorious galaxy eyes sparkling with stars. The purple and fuchsia color swirled like it was alive over the black backdrop behind it. Every time I looked into her eyes I found myself drifting, lost in the cosmos, floating into oblivion.

She looks out the door, hiding her pretty mouth behind her doll. I was so glad she loved that thing. Gabriel and I worried incessantly over which one to get her. We'd wanted it to be perfect. When we couldn't find one for her that we thought was a perfect fit, I looked up an artist who crocheted her a custom made doll.

It was the right choice it seems. She rarely put it down.

She leans in closer to me, her lips tickle my ear causing delightful shivers to travels down my spine. Her soft dreamy voice whispers to me alone," I can go outside?"

That jerked me out of my stupor. I turn to her sharply, eyes wide in horror," Of course you can!"
I watch as her eyes glitter magically in awe as she stares out at the starlit yard.

I'd have to make sure we got her out more. It was so easy to get lost in our faraway bubble where we could pretend she was ours alone, where we didn't have to worry as much. That wasn't fair to her. She's been kept locked away her entire life. It is our duty to assure her happiness as well as her safety.

We must do better. For her, we must do better.

I give her a soft charming smile and set her down on the ground. I hold her gently by the shoulders, watching as she looks to Sean's wooden floors and the wooden boards to his back patio. She raises a single foot, hovering it over the wood.

"It's okay.", I tell her sweetly. She looks up at me with those glorious eyes of hers, unsure. I imagine this is the first time she's been able to go outside without it merely strictly for hanging the laundry, for quite some time.

I take her hand in mine as I stand behind her," Together."
She smiles up at me and nods, Macaron held tightly in her arm.

Together, we take the first step outside. Her eyes light up beautifully and she lets me lead her across the entire porch until we reach the two wooden steps that lead down to the green grass below.

Her lips part and her eyes dance as she stares at the simple plant like it's the doorway to Narnia. I don't have to coax her this time. She takes those two steps quickly so she can dig her toes into the soft grass.

I look back at the others with a big smile to see all of them watching her with identical expressions. "We should've done this already.", I tell them.

Owen nods," We'll make an effort to get her out more."
Sean grins as he watches her kneel in the grass with a giggle and pets the slightly long blades," I forget sometimes that she wasn't really allowed outside. I've been so focused on getting her body healthy, I've been neglecting her peace of mind."

I look back to her, watching as she grazes the very tips of the grass. Owen comes forward, pausing by me, to crouch beside her.
He softly tells her," We'll let you play more in a while. We really need you to vent your magic at the moment. Okay?"

She looks up at him and hides her mouth behind her doll again. The previous joy on her face was now gone, the unease and trepidation returning. It's something that slightly baffles me. She seems fine to sing if she's alone, but terrified to do it around others.

Is she afraid to hurt us? Is she afraid we'll see her like that wretched woman once had?

My fists clench at my sides as I try to keep my angry words in my mouth. Kota steps forwards and places a comforting hand on my shoulder.
"It'll Be Okay Vic. She'll be happier if we can get her past her fears. You know that."
I sigh heavily. I did know that. It didn't make me any less upset. I didn't feel right forcing her to do anything.

Owen does something uncharacteristic of him. He takes off his suit coat and rolls up his sleeves before pulling her towards him. He has her between his legs, sideways. She looks up at him," I don't know what to do."

He gives her his tiny smile and tucks her collarbone length bangs that like to get her her eyes, behind her ears," Sing."
"But what if something bad happens?"
"I won't let it.", he assures her.

She looks from the woods behind Sean's house to Owen once again," What if I do something to you?"
"Just focus your song towards the woods and it should be fine."
"I've never focused it before."

Owen gives her an actual smile, it's small and close lipped, but a smile nonetheless," It'll be as easy as breathing for you. Your magic is a part of who you are. It'll listen."

She stares up at Owen, trying to find something in his grey eyes. She must of found whatever it was she was looking for, because her whole body relaxed. She once again faces the woods, just staring, before her eyes drift up to the stars above her.

I watch in amazement as her eyes become lost to the night sky. They glow brightly, the stars in her eyes twinkling. She stares up at the infinite vast universe before her, lost in oblivion.

(Play song)

She parts her lips and a soft hesitant hummed tune leaves her lips. An instant chill covers my body. An unsure hypnotic song is weaved by her.

Behind me, breathes are stolen away in an exhale.

It's baffling how such a tiny childlike girl can sing like an angel, a woman.

Owen watches her, just as mesmerized as the rest of us. Her song picks up, more assured and stronger. It's a repeated tune, and yet it's just as enchanting to listen to as any complex composition.

Her eyes change, glowing bright. The galaxy in her eyes morphs into a cosmic storm. I can actually see all the strain and tension leave her body. A single tear streams from the corner of her eyes.

She's finally free.

The tiny orbs of light from before flicker into existence around us all like multicolored fireflies. My eyes close, my heart soars listening to her beautiful lullaby of the stars. The first time I heard her sing I remember feeling sad and afraid. Even though her steps were light, her dance giddy, and her smile content, the words were haunting. They told a tale of woe that broke my heart for the strange girl with lavender hair.

She was a caged bird singing a song of mourning, just trying to make the best of the hand she'd been dealt. She looked at the world as something wonderful to one day be a part of.

Her song now made me feel empowered, like I could battle the legion of demons on my own. I was free of my confining restraints that told me I couldn't grow into more than the wealthy boy with talented fingers.

I was free.
We were all free.
In this moment, we were as limitless as the vast space our world gravitates within.

For so long the songs inside of me have hidden and kept silent, but when she sang her enchanting lullaby I find I can once again hear them. I can hear them. I can hear the songs of the world. Her world.

My eyes open, a huge smile on my face. We all watch her, entranced. North watches with a content smile over her like a sentinel, her protector. Nathan rests his fists on his hips, a proud grin on his face. Silas smiles softly with his arms crossed, eyes closed. Kota stares at her alone, a soft smile growing larger with ever chord.
Luke is grinning broadly as he leans against the railing, eyes dancing with excitement.
Gabriel looks at her softly, happy tears well in his eyes but don't dare fall. Gabriel let's his head fall back to stare at the same stars that have captured her soul. Sean chuckles happily with crosses arms, legs shoulder width apart.

Creatures of the forest creep towards her from deep within the woods, their eyes glinting in the porch light. The creatures of the sky soar over us - bats, owls, ravens.

I watch with fascination as fireflies hover above the woodland creatures, leading their way. The woodland animals stop at the tree line, simply content to watch her. Wolves, coyotes, rabbits, deer, raccoons, armadillos, possums - all watch her from afar. When she sings, there are no predators or prey, all coexist together.

The fireflies draw nearer as the orbs of light form into butterflies.
I grin at that. Her soul print is a butterfly. We'd been wondering about that.

The stellar butterflies with neon glowing wings dance in a circle over her, leading the fireflies into a spiraling dance. Within moments a slow cyclone of glowing insects churn above her.

I've seen Souls turn into various creatures and objects, I've seen them manipulate the elements, I've seen them witness events of the past and present.

Never have I seen a magic so beautiful this.

I watch on with a grin, simply content to just be. I watch the glow illuminate her pale flesh. I watch her eyes lose themselves into infinity. I watch her soul finally feel peace. I watch as the fear from before dissipates into content.

She's free.

Finally free.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

341K 19.5K 150
An Academy fan fiction. The Blackborne and Toma teams had fallen apart after learning Sang and Kaylie were agents for Volto. When a new mission come...
268K 16.8K 47
I'm not a normal girl. I've known this since I was five years old and got my first gift. I have no idea where it came from, who I am, but it's someth...
354K 16.7K 60
{Completed} A lost soul in a sea of anguish and confusion, Sang floats alone, and the treacherous waters around her are starting to consume her; she'...
168K 2.8K 100
!Book one out of four! There is a part two to this book you don't have to read it but if you would like to it's called "My princess to the Black Wido...