The Shallow Places (ON HOLD)

By ThatChorusGirl

Gabrielle Mackie is a Survivor; sixteen years old and alone in the world. She lives in a world full of Stillw... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve

Chapter Two

61 1 6
By ThatChorusGirl

My eyes were too heavy and they wouldn't open all the way. Juno was at my feet, but she was whining and alert, which was unusual for her at this time. She brushed my toes with her muzzle. I had little perception of time anymore. When the infection spread, there weren't people to keep the power and water running, and soon enough, everything came to a halt.

I rose carefully and Juno darted ahead into the hallway, which was so dimly lit that I couldn't see her bound into the sitting area near the fire escape. I shrieked and ran after her. The sitting area was illuminated in bright yellow light--a sign of midday. The light played on what was left of the furniture; casting dark shadows on the pale peach carpet. I had slept much too long, and now something was wrong.

Juno wasn't in the room. She wasn't on the fire escape. In a panic, I lunged for my makeshift bow and charged down the fire escape. No. I would not lose Juno--not now; not after four years with her. Juno, my best friend and my only companion. I couldn't do this without her.

I stopped almost instantly. What was I doing? I couldn't go running into the city. What if there were Stillwalkers about? I would be ripped to shreads then brought back to linger along the streets, yearning for the taste of vile blood. The malodorous and sickening sweet lust for a taste. What if Juno was already dead? I couldn't take a chance...Could I?

The chances of a Stillwalker to be out in daylight was slim. They didn't like the light much, because it was very afflicting to their eyes, which tended to be over-dialated when the sun was at its' highest in the sky. I should be safe.

I took a deep breath, filling my lungs to maximum capacity and holding as much air as I could stand. My instincts told me to run, and fast. My feet began to stir before the rest of my body would, and I wasn't sure I was ready. I didn't have time to think about that. I was here, and Juno needed me. I didn't have time to think anymore; I had to move.

My determination intensified when I heard the subtle squeal of tire tread against pavement, and I ran even faster. Then I heard the moans and I was stricken with fear. As I rounded the corner of the nearest building flat, I saw them-- a swarm of Stillwalkers, about fifteen or so, circling a large, rusted pick up. Juno must be in there. I hoped she was.

I took careful, quiet steps to remain unseen. The pick up shifted and I heard the patter of gunshells dropping to the pavement. One by one, the Stillwalkers fell to the cement with blood oozing from their gaping mouths. The sight made me shudder, but I was astounded as to how quick of a shot the person was. I could see the truck clearly now, and I could see that Juno was inside with a group of three boys. The driver, while holding a long-range shotgun, howled in accomplishment as the last Stillwalker buckled at the knees. He was just reaching as his last moan escaped his rotted mouth. The city was quiet again.

The teens were motionless for a moment, their stares hardening as they exchanged unsettled glances, but eventually, the driver emerged from the vehicle. He made his way slowly towards me, grasping his shotgun in his fist. He looked less dazed and uncertain than the others, but he was tense. For most Survivors, the chances of coming upon another human being were rare.

"Is that your dog, Miss?" the boy asked. He was handsome with sandy hair, but built large with toned biceps and a hard jaw. His voice was soft though, and his eyes were crystallike and blue.

I nodded, "Juno. Her name is Juno." My speech was slurred, which made me look like a fool, but frankly, I hadn't been spending the past four years brushing up on my people skills. No, not in a world full of Stillwalkers. Not that they were incapable of speech, but they didn't exactly make good company.

The boy looked back at the truck. "My name is Owen. That's Nolan and Eli there. Do you have a name, Miss?"

I rolled my eyes. He was already starting to annoy me, "Yes, I have a name. It's Gabrielle."

"Gabrielle," Owen whispered, trying the name on his tongue. He seemed satisfied, "What are you doing out here alone?"

"I'm not--" I gestured to Juno, who whipped her tail happily. She was eager to see me.

"That's not what I meant," he frowned, "and I don't appreciate your sarcasm. I mean, do you live with anyone...human?"

He spoke to me as if I were a child and he, my angry parent. I shook my head, "I've got a flat a few blocks down, but it's just me." I was hoping he wouldn't get any ideas, because I was not letting three complete strangers into my house.

Owen shrugged, "You look a little shaken. Let us at least give you a ride home."

I wasn't so sure about him yet. Owen seemed genuine and kind, but I had never been good with people, and he was just a stranger. However, he did save Juno's life, and at the cost of his own. I smirked, "Are you sure you've got room for one more?"

He smiled, "Sure do."

I took the seat between Juno and Owen in the pickup. One of the other boys, who I assumed to be Nolan, had his arm around Juno, almost in a protective manner. I frowned at him and he pulled his hand away. The silence was irritating, but I didn't want to be the one to break it. After all, I was not very good at making conversation. "Sorry," he said finally.

I ignored him, and turned to Juno. I checked to see that she wasn't bitten. She didn't seem to be, so I ruffled her ears and whispered low so that only she could hear, "You can't run like that, girl. It's not safe." I shuddered at my usage of the word. Juno whined and licked my face.

I glanced at Owen when it was time to turn next to my flat. "She wasn't bitten, was she?" I asked him.

"No," he said, smiling, "but it was good we were there. She was nearly eaten to bits right there."

The thought of Juno being devoured by one of the Stillwalkers made me quiver. I couldn't bear to see her in immense pain like that. I would much rather it be me.

"Stop here," I ordered, and the truck came to a standstill next to a crumbling building. Juno hopped down from the seat and started up the fire escape, nearly slipping on her ascend. I tried to shake Owen's hand to thank him for saving Juno, but the three boys brushed past me and up into my flat. I was appalled. Did they think they could just walk in--well, climb in-- to my house without my permission?

I followed in bewilderment, as I was a little embarrassed at them. I ducked into the low window of my flat and watched as the boys scanned the place. "What are you looking for?" I asked impatiently. I thrusted my hands onto my hips and narrowed my eyes.

"Just checking for any Flesheaters," said the boy with the darkest hair and bright green eyes. I presumed he was Eli, and when he finally introduced himself, he confirmed my assumption.

"Is that what you call them?"

"Well, what do you call them?" asked Owen.

I pursed my lips. They were dry, which suddenly made me conscious of my appearance. I had just darted out of bed before I left, and I probably looked weary, just like a Stillwalker. Why was I suddenly concerned with appearances? It's not like it mattered before.

"Stillwalkers," I finally said.

Perplexity and vacancy now flooded their facial expressions. I rolled my eyes and tried to form a solid explanation, "When the infection hit, anyone who was left--Survivors-- started to call them 'Stillwalkers' because many believed that these monsters were still alive. They believed that they weren't completely dead; not complete monsters."

"Is that what you believe, Gabrielle?" asked Eli. He directed his attention to Owen and whispered, "She would get along with Zane, wouldn't she?"

I frowned, "No, that's not what I believe. That's what my parents believed and that's what they called them. I used to believe it, so I picked up the term. It's hard to break old habits after awhile."

The boys nodded as if they understood what I meant. "She's smart," Owen whispered, as if I wasn't there and couldn't hear him, "She knows things."

"You mentioned a name," I said. Obvious.

Nolan nodded, "Zane." It was the first time he had spoken since our meeting in the truck.

I gave a questioning glance at Owen who just smiled and glanced at the afternoon sun streaming through the window and painting a picture on the carpet.

"We should bring her to him," Eli looked to Nolan for support, "She could come with us!"

Owen began to agree, but I shook my head. I wasn't going anywhere. "I've made a life here for four years. I'm not leaving."

We stood in silence for a moment, as I was too stubborn to waiver and falter.

"Gabrielle," he began, "It's nearly afternoon, and if you're as good a Survivor as I think you are, then you would know that the afternoon is the hottest part of the day."

I nodded, unsure of where this was going.

"Too hot to travel," he bit his lip, "Would you allow us to stay for the night? Then if you change your mind in the morning, you can come with us."

I couldn't protest. Owen's logic made sense, and I admitted defeat.

I grew tiresome with the events of the day, and I turned in early for bed. Today was the first time I had come in close contact with a Stillwalker since my first year alone. Other times when I came upon them, it was from long distances and I never had to see their faces closely. It loosened some knot in me and I cried a little as I slept, though I was too tired to fret about that now. Juno was home alive. I was home alive, and we were both safe again.

Continue Reading