Dating Disasters : A Study in...

By kyla2412

Arika Justice has known Asher Thorn all her life, the two girls were practically sisters and so Asher's broth... More

It begins...
Chapter One: Unlikliest of Friends
Chapter Two: Our Hero...sometimes
Chapter Three: Midnight Snacks and Closed Doors
Thank you!
Chapter 4: Running Away Solves Nothing
Chapter 5: Memory Lane and Projectile Textbooks
Chapter 6: Love has no bets...I mean boundaries
Chapter 7: Shattered Glass and Wedding Bells
Chapter 8: I'm Home
Chapter 9: Holding Earrings and Throwing Shade.
Chapter 10: Midnight Kisses and Wedding Wishes
Chapter 11: Drunk Spelling Bees Spell TROUBLE.
Chapter 13: Evil Schemes
Chapter 14: Over Before It Began.
Chapter 15: The In Between

Chapter 12: Conquering Fears Are Only Easy In Movies

16 1 2
By kyla2412

Chapter 12: Conquering Fears Are Only Easy In Movies

"NO!" Arika wailed as she swayed on top of Andrew's shoulders.  "Let me down please!"

"Ari you're the only one small enough to fit through. We need that key." Andrew huffed as he shifted to stop the red head from toppling down.

Regardless of any reassurances  or help from the Thornes Arika bawled her eyes out as she blindly reached for the bathroom window. This was a demented plan and they knew it, but the group was severely low on other options.

After an hour of shouting for Mr and Mrs Thorne with no success someone had spotted one open window. It just so happened to be the tiny bathroom one on the second floor. So now Andrew had Ari placed precariously on his shoulders as she tried to sit on the little awning.

Unbeknownst to the group Asher was getting the whole thing on video, after years of prank wars and familial back stabbing she knew to get everything good on tape, what's a little blackmail between family, and it sure would make for one hell of a family tape! Avery and Aiden paced the backyard, alternating between trying to anchor their brother and soothing the terrified Arika. Everyone present knew she detested heights and the guilt of making her go up was enormous, but the alcohol and chilly weather had to factor in as well.

"I'm a strong guy Ari and your big brother, I'd never let you fall. Trust me." He called trying to calm her, Andrew knew that if she kept swaying like that she would eventually bring them both down.

She hiccuped and sniffled a tear, Ari knew she was being a child, she'd even agreed to the plan, but saying something on solid ground and then what felt like fifty feet in the air were two seperate entities. "I trust you I wouldn't be here if I didn't. I DON'T TRUST MY OWN CLUMSY ASS NOT TO FALL REGARDLESS."

"Ave, " Aiden hissed at his own moody brother. "Calm her down. She'll fall if she doesn't stop."

Everyone was still really buzzed but Avery more so than others. Ari's little call to her boyfriend really messed with his head and he remedied  that with the remainder of the alcohol. He saw her hurting and it felt like little stabs to his heart. But he was still a man , a hurt jealous man and he could still be a petty ass... even as he was mentally dying at the thought of her in pain.

"Call her boyfriend Ian, he can help her." He snorted turning away.

Aiden shot him a puzzled look before turning to see Ari, teary eyed, sitting on the little awning sobbing her whiskey eyes out. A collective sigh of relief went out as she leaned back in exhaustion, just then the loud slamming of the front window  could be heard.

"What are you little heathens causing such a ruckus for? I swear you want the neighbours to call the cops.... AGAIN!" Mrs Thorne scowled. "Get your butts here, now!"

The kids knew that voice, their kind loving mum was gone, in her place was a severe looking lady with looks to kill and a cutting tongue. Underneath the blonde woman was still a teddy bear but it was three am and all teddies have bad days.

The reprimanded children all filed out quickly to meet her at the now opened front door. Even Andrew ran off not wanting to piss off the sleeping Dragon. They were all so in a rush that they forgot Ari who was still lying on the awning. Arika stayed with her eyes closed for a few minutes before she noticed the lack of noise beneath her, cautiously she peaked out and saw everyone missing, a frightened squeak escaped her lips.

"Hey!" She called out. Her voice was a little husky from crying but it was still loud. Yet no one responded. "Oh what have I gotten myself into now."

She shouted for a few minutes with no luck until she was hoarse and spent, eventually Ari just decided to wait them out. Surely they wouldn't leave her out here? They weren't that drunk right? Right?!?

***

"I can't believe they left you out there all night my poor little dove." Mrs Thorne gushed popping another blanket on Ari's sleeping form.

All four Thornes had bolted up the next morning and rushed to get her down. It was quite a sight to see four sleepy adults look around before realising that one of their number was missing, it took a hot second before they had all clambered outside to retrieve her. By then Ari was stuck halfway through the window, asleep. Their mother had scolded them mercilessly for getting so drunk that they forgot the girl who was basically their sister on the roof.

Avery who had seemed to be in a pissy mood for most of the night and morning had commented that they'd done worse to Asher, and Ari wasn't on the roof just the awning. Everyone had stared at him in shock. Even Mrs. Thorne had to take a second to look at who spoke, it was so out of his character that she waited a whole minute before screaming him out.

Even Avery himself was appalled by his own flippant attitude but it hurt too much to care and he cared too much for her already. Luckily Arika was sound asleep during the encounter or she may have had cause for more unwanted tears, not that she'd ever let them be seen, but they all knew when she was on the way to a real crying jag. Her eyes went all glossy as she tried to stop her tears and her cheeks went redder than her hair, it was a sight they all felt terrible over causing and or seeing.

After a few hours of Mr and Mrs Thorne's ranting the house eased into its normal flow, Andrew was on the phone to Amelia, getting shouted at again for leaving her future sister on the roof, he took it fairly well only grimacing  every few minutes. They'd make up though, they always did. Aiden was in the kitchen whipping up an apology spread for Ari, all her coffee related  favourites as well as anything else his guilty conscious  thought up. Asher had plopped down next to her best friend and refused to move, now she was curled up beside her snoring, anytime someone passed by they would stare at the girls and chuckle, remembering a time not so long ago when they would sleep the same way as kids.

Avery much to his parent's displeasure had left soon after they brought Arika in, he had been in a sour mood all morning and his siblings were glad to see him go. No one had an inkling as to why he'd suddenly become an arse, but Aiden had his suspicions. As he paced around the kitchen he willed his drunken mind to pull up the conversation they'd had last night.

"... call her boyfriend...Ian..."

No wonder his brother was acting like the damn Grinch, he thought his girl fancied another bloke! But even as Aiden racked his brain he couldnt for the life of him remember his little Ice ever mention another guy. Ever since she got here she'd been mad for Avery, and then pretending not to be mad for him at the same time, surely no girl had time to do that and waste on a boyfriend! Not for the first time he wished he could call her  up and get her opinion, she'd always been the one who was good at talking the girls into conversations.

Aiden sighed and shook his head, the past was passed. The only  thing left now was to investigate himself, which is exactly what he would do when the sleeping beauties finally woke up.

Arika awoke insanely warm, she knew immediately that she was off the awning and a single peek to the side revealed why she felt like she just slept with a space heater. Asher was hanging off the sofa halfway ontop of her. She laughed as she shifted her best friend off and made her way upstairs. One long shower later and she was drying her hair in the bathroom. The shortened copper strands had certainly grown out since she'd cut it in Cali, now the beginings of curls were forming as the tresses fell nearly to her shoulders. She'd have to cut it off soon or face growing it out again.

Contrary to everyone's belief Ari wasn't mad about being  left on the awning, she'd been in worse scrapes than that before, sure she'd been a little upset but that had passed by four am, no something else entirely was eating at the red head's heart.

Last night Avery had been uncharecteristically cold to her, sure she didnt expect him to hold her hand and coo at her but he'd been borderline rude. It was such an odd occurence when usually he could be counted on as her biggest supporter. As she pondered his sudden mood change she pulled out her new, temporary cell phone. It was one of those cheap burner things you could pick up at the airport, it wouldnt do forever but it would for the moment, she'd already stored Robyn and Ian's numbers as well as her mum and the Thorne's, all the essesntials. Now she hit the number for her Cali bound best friend and scooted onto the bed to wait.

"Hey you just missed me," Robyn's bubbly voice called, "If its urgent call Ari I'm most likely with her or leave a message and I'll get back to you soon!"

Disheartened Ari tried and failed to sound chipper as she recounted her flight and explained the situation so far, she left out Avery and the roof debacle, but made a mental note to ask her for some well needed advice later. Wishing her well Ari signed off and headed downstairs for something to eat.

"Hey Ice," Aiden greeted kissing her forehead as he poured out some fresh coffee, "You mad about last night, because I'm not above grovelling for forgiveness  from my baby sister, especially when its this bad."

Arika smiled up at him as she sipped her coffee, "I could never be mad at you Aid," she laughed, "No need for grovelling today, though I might take you up on it some other time."

He ruffled her hair and placed some food infront of her, "Eat up munchkin, I made your favourites ."

Ari gladly ate up her late lunch and soon Aiden, Andrew and Asher joined her at the table. They laughed and ate as the sun went down and then they retired to the lounge where they watched old movies till nightfall. They were the picture of bliss until around nine when Avery came banging in, a tall leggy brunette on his arm.

Everyone looked up at him as he strolled in with her practically attached to his arm. "Everyone this is Phoebe, Phoebe, this is my family. Those are my brothers Andrew and Aiden, my sister Asher and there's Arika down there."

It looked as if Andrew and Aiden were about to bust a blood vessel somewhere important, and Asher looked downright murderous as she sized up the tall girl infront of her, Ari's eyes widened in shock for a mere second but then she schooled her expression and looked away.

"Its nice to meet you Phoebe," Ari smiled rising from her seat in between Asher and Andrew. "Would you like to watch the rest of the movie with us."

To everyone's ears the words were kind and thoughtful , the total opposite of what they would  have expected, but to her own ears the words sounded choked and uncertain. Despite the turmoil inside her she smiled welcomingly as the girl sat. No one else could even say a word as they watched Avery place an arm around the girl and Ari turned away.

From the corner of her eye Asher could see the glassy look enter her best friend's eyes but she was the only one as Ari had turned away to face the screen. Asher turned to her other brothers to find them staring at her as well, a collective thought on all their minds, "What the everloving f**k had just happened?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

241K 7.5K 44
After getting shot during a burglary some months ago, Alissa Clover Green is on her way to full recovery. She has the love of her three aunts, she's...
1.9M 53.8K 56
C O M P L E T E D || Highest Rank; #4 in Funny || || Highest Rank; #6 in Boys || ⇎𝓯𝓪𝓶𝓲𝓵𝔂 𝓲𝓼𝓷'𝓽 𝓪𝓷 𝓲𝓶𝓹𝓸𝓻𝓽𝓪𝓷𝓽 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰. 𝓲𝓽'𝓼...
573 79 41
"Andrea this isn't you!" Asher yelled. Of course, the worse has come, what else do many of the readers expect. It's the Balin's, including Britnney's...
770K 29.1K 67
Lena has hated Jace Hartley with a burning passion since kindergarten. But when everything she thought she knew about Hartley suddenly changes, will...