Saving Who?

By seemah870

She seeked solace in kneading dough and icing tiers of cakes, but Katherina Baker was given an ultimatum by h... More

Saving Who?
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 25

67K 1.6K 263
By seemah870

A/ N :So I've decided to try to write this chapter in third person, and if you guys prefer it this way, let me know! I'll stick to it. Other wise I'll just go back to writting in Kat's point of view. xx

His early morning commutes to work were rather tiresome. It took two train line exchanges to get to his office. Not to mention the bad dreams that plagued him some nights. The therapy sessions were not the reason why they reduced. A certain black haired beauty was the true reason why it subsided a little.

Most nights he dreamt of his mysterious girl from his e-mails. Coincidentally, his mind kept placing Katerina's face there. His gut instinct, the one that led him into many succesful battles told him, no screamed at him that she was the one. 

But it couldn't be... she was his best friend's reserved sister. The sister he didn't pay attention to because she wasn't up to his standards. However, there was always a warmth that radiated from her. Caring was part of her nature even when she was younger.

"Dude, my sister made us breakfast before she left. Waffles that need to be reheated. Fruits and everything. She left you this as well." the blond haired boy Ryan,  passed a letter to Talen.

I can't come down to the office most days to give you your food, so my runner boy will be there to bring you a sandwhich. Don't let it go to waste.

- K

Tracing over the cursived handwritting, he smiled. Oh yea, he definitely liked her alright. 

"I'm not heating up your food for you." Ryan said with his mouth stuffed with waffles and strawberries.

"Of course you're not. You lazy bastard. When does that thing come off anyway." Talen pointed to the blue cast around Ryan's leg.

"2 more weeks. Then I can just limp around. So... I got the call again." Ryan said quietly.

"They called me too. I don't know if we should accept it." 

"I told them we would." Ryan replied making Talen look even more devastated.

"We couldn't save all their lives. I couldn't lead the team--"

"Don't do that to yourself man. You're the reason we got out of there. Hell.. even I thought we were gonners. You never gave up."  there was passion and pride held in Ryan's eyes.

What happened that fatal day was definitely not Talen's fault. "I don't want to talk about it. I can't go in front of the crowd and give a speech."

"That's why you're going for therapy remember? To help you face the truth. It's end of this month. If you think you really can't give the speech, I'll do it for you." Ryan patted his shoulder.

~~

At the bakery, Katerina sat in her office with her team, going over the details of the cake and sweets they were planning to do.

"The ingredients that we are strictly not allowed to use are peanuts, or any sort of nuts for that matter. So our cakes have to be almond free and what not. Let the ideas flow everyone." she said and her chosen helpers started scribbling down their ideas.

Withing the next two hours, they decided to go for a simple vanilla cake with lemon flavoring, and a half cream cheese and butter cream frosting. Other snacks included panna cotta, apple pies and cup cakes.

When it was and hour before lunch time, she made a certain green eyed man his lunch. Using the ingredients from the restaurant instead of the bakery, she made sure to pick ingredients that she knew he loved.

A yummy chicken and bacon sandwich with no tomatoes. Extra bacon on the side of course!

"Hey Lenny, you have to send something for me to this address." she wrapped the sandwich neatly and wrote a funny note before placing everything into a plastic bag.

"This says Trump Tower." the youngster looked confused.

"Yes, Trump Tower. Glad to know I hired someone who can read. No hurry up and leave. Ride that bike safely!" she warned.

The 18 year old boy was hired part- time because he was studying. Katerina and her friends always hired students who were exceptionally talented and needed help with some cash. Most of their employees were students from the culinary school.

"Got your e-mail on your finalized list. That was fast Baker." the tightly wound blonde haired girl, Bree walked in.

"You're here earlier than usual." Kat pointed to the clock that showed it was almost noon. Claire the brown haired beauty walked in shortly after.

"We decided to finish up our plans now so we could fax it over to the mayor's office." Bree explained.

"Bitch woke me up early." Claire grumbled.

"There there, with the amount they are paying us, you can buy more shoes." Kat tried to cheer up.

It worked "I love me some new shoes." Claire said starry eyed.

"Hey hey heyyy!" the door bust open and Jon walked in.

"Look who decided to finally pay us a visit." Bree mocked.

"Yea, Jon. Mr. hot shot actuarist." Kat feigned anger.

"I'm sorry girls. Work finally caught up to me. Boss was chewing my ass the last couple of days. So.. what's happening? Any new deets I should know off?" he sat on the sofa.

"KAT SENT LUNCH TO TALEN JUST NOW!" Claire shouted excitedly.

"HOW DID YOU KNOW?!" Kat responded.

"Oh hush, Lenny told us he was going to Trump Tower. We all know who works there don't we." Jon wiggled his eye brows.

"She went there herself yesterday too!" Stacey poked her head in and said that.

"STACEE you're so fired!" Kat pouted.

"No I'm not. Sorry boss." she left.

"Lunch eh...  Are we talking literal lunch or like a sex lunch kinda thing? With you guys it's hard to tell which is which." Claire asked confused.

"Ughhh. Literal lunch." Kat couldn't help but moan out in frustration.

"So, you're taking my advice and making him like you for who you are?" Jon smiled.

"No, I just.. I just want to help. I care about him." Kat shrugged.

"Could we discuss more stories over lunch? I didn't come here on my lunch break just to eat air." Jon exaggerated.

So they did just that. Claire and Bree whipped up simple Aglio Olio pasta with jumbo shrimp. Once they were done, Jon went back to work, Claire and Bree went to their office that was in the restaurant and Kat went back to the bakery next door.

"Hey Kat. The guy told me to pass this to you." Lenny passed her a sealed envelope.

Back to writing letter again. If only he knew..

Snapping herself out of it, she thanked Lenny and went into her office. Making sure to lock the door behind her, she sat on her chair and smiled at the letter like it was a present. Placing the sharp envelope opener into the narrow slot, she carefully opened the sealed letter.

Inside, was a neatly folded paper with the emblem of the Parker Enterprise stamped on it. Unlike the random piece of paper she had grabbed at 5 in the morning.

Call me as soon as you get this : 555-0799

"Call him? Fuck." she said to herself. Feeling nervous as hell, she picked up her phone and called him. There were barely three beeps before he picked up. 

"Katerina?" the deep voice echoed through the phone.

Because she could, she closed her eyes, imagining his handsome face. "Hello Talen. Is everything.. alright?" she tried calming herself by clenching her chair tightly.

"Of course everything is fine. I wanted to thank you for lunch. I would have called you myself, but I realized that I didn't have your number." he said nervously.

Talen stood in front of the huge window, looking down onto the busy city, wishing he could see her right now. "Not a problem. As long as you enjoyed your meal, I'm glad to be of your service." she laughed melodically.

She had bedroom voice alright. A voice that made his knees wobble slightly. Now over the phone... he had to go back to his chair to make sure he didn't just crumble on the spot.

"So.. why didn't you send me any dessert?" he asked with an underlying meaning to it.

Her melodic laugh came to a halt, which made him think that he went too far with that question. Did he? He started asking himself.

All those thoughts vanished when she replied "You can come here and get it yourself, if you really want some." the sexy bedroom voice was back and he had to hold back a groan of pleasure.

"I'll come over at 4. I finish early today." he surprised even himself when he said that. 

"I'll see you then. Bye Talen." when she put down the phone, she released a huge sigh of relief.

"Did I really just ask him to come here and get it myself? Ughh." she smacked her head thinking she didn't come off as sexy. When she didn't even know the effect she had on him.

"Why the hell is the door locked? Kat you ok in there?" Claire jiggled the knob.

"I'm fine, just give me a second." Kat placed the letter in a drawer and went to open the door.

"Why was the door locked?" she asked again looking suspicious.

"I didn't realize i locked it behind me. A habit I guess." Kat prayed that Claire bought the lie she just pulled out of her butt.

'Meh, I get it. I do it too cause Bree just loves barging in. So, we just faxed the documents over. They'll get back to us tomorrow." Claire sat on the chair making herself comfortable.

Groaning inwardly because the clocked showed there was just an hour left before Talen showed up and she needed to somehow give most of her help the rest of the day off, Kat said "Where's Bree?"

"In her office."

"Let's go bug her." she dragged Claire off and went to the restaurant. Phase 1, was complete. Get her out of the bakery.

Next, she dragged the conversation till it was time for Claire to begin her prep work for dinner. Bree was still sorting out reservations and bills, confirming that she wouldn't move her butt at all.

Walking back into the bakery, there was still a steady stream of people walking in and out. Kat only closed the bakery at 5.00.

She allowed those who had class to leave early, and she was left with just two other girls. "Don't worry girls, as soon as it hits 4, you can leave too. I'll take it from here." they thanked her and began sweeping up whatever mess that was there.

Sharp 4, a yellow cab pulled up and the 6'2'' figure approached the main entrance. The two girls that were on their way out were obviously in awe of him.

"Hey? You closing up already?" 

"No, we just finished early. So I let everyone go."

"So no dessert for me?" he pouted. 

"Yours is a little special. I didn't want anyone else trying it before you. Come on to the back." she smiled at him.

He sat on the high stool while she took out a tray of what seemed like a thick layer of chocolate. "Is that---"

"Yes, it's fudge." she laughed at his expression. "Has layers of almonds and hazelnuts, a layer of marshmallow fluff and the best chocolate." she took out a long sharp knife and cut into the thick layers.

With the occasional dip in hot water, she cut through it with little resistance. "Here you go.." she handed him a fairly big sized square piece. 

His eyes closed in ecstasy and the taste of the bitter but yet sweet chocolate, the marshmallow fluff added extra layers of flavor and the nuts just gave it amazing crunch. "I take it the silence is good?" her brown eyes stared at him expectantly.

"More than good. It's amazing!"

"You want to take a look at what's happening next door? I'm sure we could leech some of their food." she giggled.

"I'm up for it." he followed behind her, admiring her long legs which he absolutely yearned for it to be---

"Talen??" Claire said snapping him out of his fantasy.

"Hi, Claire. Bree." he waved somewhat awkwardly.

"Talen hi." Bree covered up for Claire's shocked expression.

"We were hoping to mooch off you guys some food." Kat smiled meekly.

"Not a problem if you can't. I can get her something to eat." Talen immediately said not wanting to come off as a freeloader.

"I wouldn't have it any other way. You guys can be our testers. Go sit out in the restaurant. We'll send over some soup first." Claire smiled, dragging the both of them in tow.

They were served pumpkin soup with crispy bacon and chicken. For main course, both of them had steaks. 

"That was great Claire. Thanks alot. You too Bree." Talen surprised both of the girls by hugging them.

"You sure you don't want to have dessert?" Claire asked.

"Yea, Kat is gonna give me some. I'll see you guys around." he left to wait for Kat in her bakery.

"You're giving him dessert?" Claire said excitedly.

Bree started to adjust Kat's hair " guys, stop. I really did make him something." she pushed their hands away .

"Fine! We want details."the both of them shoved Kat through the door that connects both kitchens.

"What are you going to do with the extras?" he pointed to the basket of extra pastries and bread from the day.

"I usually get one of the help to give it to the soup kitchen down town. I guess I'll have to do it today myself. You alright going back yourself?" Kat asked then regretted asking such a silly question.

Of course he could take care of himself. He was in the NAVY for god's sake. "I'll come with you." he said easily, once again stunning her.

"Are you sure? We may take a while. It's rush hour now in the city. Traffic is going to be insane. We'll probably reach home in two hours." she checked her watch which showed it was almost 6.

Picking up the basket, he said "Let's go."

When they did reach the soup kitchen, the person in charge greeted Katerina warmly "Honey, it's been a while since we've seen you. Oh, finally got yourself a young man. How handsome!"  

"He's a friend Jane." she blushed unconsciously.

"Hi, Talen Parker." Talen extended his hand out for the bubbly lady to shake.

"Come on in. Dinner is about to start. You can place your things on the dessert area." she brought us to the kitchen which was filled with volunteers.

"Things may get crazy in the line, because some people may demand more or fight over things they want." Kat said whispering to Talen.

"Talen, was it? We could use you to help keep the line in check." Jane smiled.

"No problem ma'am. You'll be fine?" he looked at the brown eyed beauty.

"Yes, I'll see you once service is over."

The next two hours was definitely an eye-opening experience for Talen. He never realised how blessed he was. There were moments were he had to put on his tough face when he could sense some of the people in line turning agitated.

Once the service was over, he searched for what seemed to be his obsession ever since he set eyes on her. She was talking to the organizer, deep in conversation actually. Her hands were on her hips, direct eye contact with the elder woman.

Something she rarely did with him. He hoped that she was nervous as he was around her. As if on cue, she turned to his direction and smiled at him. She ended the conversation with a hug and headed his way.

"Hey, sorry I kept you waiting. Ready to go?" 

"Yup."

"Do you mind driving? I'm just really wiped out." she sighed.

"Not a problem. As long as you lead me."

"Yes sir I will." she joked.

Reaching the basement car park, she got out before he could even park the car. "Hey, wait up." he made sure the car was locked then went by her side.

"I'm about to fall asleep standing." she looked up at him and he realized that she wasn't joking.

She was usually home by this time. Waking up at 4 meant that she was up nearly 15 hours. "Steady, I got you. I'll hold on to you. Unless you want me to carry you?"

That seemed to jolt her up a little "Nope, nope. I'm good." he slid his arm around her lightly and she decided to cave in and leane against him fully when they got into the elevator. 

"Where the hell did the two of you go? I nearly died out of boredom." Ryan complained.

"You could come down to the shop and help or go work with Talen." Katerina said missing the warmth of Talen.

"I wouldn't mind man. But till I sort my transport issues, you can either stay at home or follow Kat. Maybe you could go with Bree during her shift." Talen suggested.

"No way, I don't want to be a pain in the ass while she's working!"

"Right... because you aren't a pain in the ass to her the other times." Kat said making Ryan flip out.

"She told you that? Did she?!" 

"I don't know.. You ask her." Kat loved torturing her brother. It was officially her favorite thing to do now.

"Good night boys." she laughed.

"KAT! Don't do this to me." she ignored his begging and didn't waste time before she got into her massive shower. 

The powerful jets helped ease the tension in her shoulders. Feeling refreshed after the shower, she stepped out of her massive closet and into her room and found Talen sitting on the futon in front of her bed watching tv.

"You look cozy." she said, taking in his attire and the fact that he looked much more relaxed.

"I know you're tired, but I just needed to be around someone for a while. Ryan's already knocked out."

"Of course, I'm here for you." she looked at him closely and saw a man weathered by what he's seen.. but yet still a boy who's afraid at heart.

"I'll turn the volume on low so you can still fall asleep."

"Why dont you.. jump on here." she acted on impulse.

Her bed was after all a huge king sized mattress. "You don't mind?" he looked shocked.

"As long as you don't mind me waking up at 7. I'll promise to make as little noise as possible." she took off her earrings and made sure the special blanket that he gave her was out of sight. It would be the first night that she wouldn't be sleeping with it. Not that she felt sad because he was right in her bed!

"7 is considered late for you isn't it?" his tall frame moved to the right side of the bed.. opposite from where she was.

They placed their pillows against the headboard and continued their conversation "Well, we have an event tomorrow. A catering event for a child's birthday party."

"I don't need to go into the office tomorrow actually.. My mother is forcing me to.. Wait a minute. Is the child's name Marie?" he looked at her.

"Shut the front door. No way. How is tht even possible?" they laughed together.

"She's my youngest cousin. At least I'll know someone there." he said relieved.

"Oh.. I'm not sure if I'll be able to mingle with you.. Don't think I'm allowed to do that. It is work after all." Kat said awkwardly.

The last thing she needed was his mother getting all snooty with her, saying that she isn't professional enough.

"No way in hell are you leaving me there alone." he whined.

"Talen Noah Parker, when did you start whining? What were your plans before you even knew I was going?" she joked with him.

"I was planning on lying that I had therapy or something." he said guilty.

"I'll try to mingle around. But I doubt I will."

They continued talking until they fell into a comfortable silence. He knew she fell asleep as soon as he sensed her steady even breaths.  She was facing him, her hair fanned out around her pillow. He caught glimpses of her face through the flashes of the light from the tv screen.

What was it about her??

~~~

"I know you know that I'm awake." her slightly crackled voice stirred his desire.

They were still safely at their sides of the bed, surprisingly. Facing each other again, they tried making out each other in the dark. She could tell he had a good sleep and the only reason he woke up was because of her alarm. He knew that if he flipped on the lamp beside the bed, she'd have bedroom eyes. Eyes that made him weak in the knees. Everything about her made him feel that way.

"What do you expect? You're alarm could wake everyone up from here till Germany." he said.

The deep timber of his voice that was laced with groggy sleep made her want to move closer to him. So she decided she would. As soon as she did, he moved closer as well. Before they knew it, she was against his shirtless chest, and he could feel her long bare legs next to his.

"Everyone in Germany eh?" she whispered.

Not knowing what to say or do, he shook and nod his head at the same time. Carefully, feeling like he was a teenager again, he put one arm around her and as if it was even possible, he brought her closer. She was propped up closer to his ear so they both could whisper to each other.

Gaining courage she decided to drape her arm across his defined chest, making him shiver a little.

"I'm sorry I woke you up. You can go back to sleep.. if you want." she teased. To torture him even more, she wound her legs between his.

"You're not going anywhere." his hand was a little firm to that response.

"I've got to work little boy. I'll see you later." she rolled out of bed when all she wanted to do was cuddle some more.

"That's mean. Really mean." he whined again staring at her long legs among other things.

"You better be gone to your room once I'm done. Make sure Ryan doesn't hear you!"

When she did come out later, he was gone. Her bedside clock showed that it was already 8 in the morning. So far, no emergency calls were made to her which meant things at the bakery was fine. Today the girls had a fancy catering event to do for a child's birthday party. The mother wanted nothing but luxurious designs on the cake even though the child was only 10.

The theme was.. Frozen. She had a tough time making everything fit with the simple cartoon but making it luxurious?? The bill was just as luxurious as everything that was for sure. Claire and Bree had to come up with a menu just as extensive as everything else.

"What, no breakfast today?" Ryan said looking at her when she entered the kitchen for a much needed cup of coffee.

"There's bread, there's butter. You can do it yourself."

"But.. but you make the best. You've been spoiling the both of us. Right Talen?" he yelled.

Talen came out of his room, still wearing what he was earlier. "Yes.. she has." he said giving her a scan. She looked good in long black trousers and a simple white blouse that tucked in. 

"Well, not today. I've got to run some errands and get to my catering event at 5." the rich coffee filled her system making her feel more alert.

"Oh yea.. Talen is dragging me along for it." Ryan limped about grabbing the butter from the fridge.

"You are?" Kat looked at Talen.

"I am?" Talen said in surprise.

"Yes you are. I can't have my girl catering at an event with potential suitors." Ryan said with a "Duh" voice.

"One, she is NOT your girl. Two, no one in this century uses the word "suitors". What is this? The 18th century. Jeez Ry." she rolled her eyes.

"She is mine. Does she not like me or something? KAT COME BACK HERE." he begged yet again when Kat headed towards the door.

"See you later boys. Try not to embarrass me Ry." she walked the carpeted hallway to the elevator.

She heard the soft click of her apartment door close and turned around to see Talen walking right at her. Biting her lip at the sight of him, she wondered what it would be like to run to him and just give him a hug.

"Anything wrong?" she asked.

"No, I um.. just wanted to apologize for earlier this morning. I'm not the guy you think I was before. I.. usually have more self control." he stammered, on of his hand massaging the back of his neck.

"I like that you can't control yourself around me. I'll see you later." she smiled and got into the elevator.The last thing she saw was his grin before the doors closed shut and she released a sigh.

"Trying to sound sexy but coming off as a total nutcase." she whispered to herself, banging her head gently against the glass.

~~

"OH it's wonderful!!" the mother and daughter of the party squealed together.  

Bree, Claire and Kat looked at each other relieved that their efforts had paid off. "Our staff has set up the sweet table and the food will be served at your call. " Bree said checking off her lists on her ipad.

"Thank you girls. Thank you so much. Here's the cheque. My husband himself told you that all three of you deserve a generous bonus for putting up with me and my demands." the primped up lady handed Bree the cheque. 

Immediately, all three pairs of eyes looked at the figure written and nearly fainted. "Mrs. James, this is way too generous!" the three of them exclaimed.

"I won't have any of it girls, this set up is exquisite!" a deeper voice boomed in.

"Oh, honey! Tell them to take it." Mrs. James pouted.

They had never seen the elusive father because he was busy all the time. But in his presence, the girls felt humbled. The man reminded them of the kind of father who was very respectable.

"Girls, I know my wife can be a pain in the butt, the main reason why I love her.. but I know not anyone has the patience to deal with her like I do. Accept the bonus." he smiled warmly.

"Thank you sir." all three of them said again.

The door bell rang and the guests to the party arrived at the lovely home at the Upper East side. The three girls were in the massive kitchen over seeing that everything went smoothly. Katerina ensured that the huge cake was not ruined.

Claire made sure canapes were going around. Delicious shrimp poppers, which were whole crystal shrimp with a sweet chili sauce. Foie gras with diced steak served on a spoon.

"Jesus, that was twelve thousand dollars extra." Kat said quietly.

"Mmmm my turn to get a car." Claire smiled

"Shoes, shoes shoes." Bree grinned.

"Just imagine, thanks to Talen's mother, we got this event. Now she's going to rave about it to her friends..." Kat said excitedly.

"Thank you God." Claire sighed.

"There they are!!" Mrs. James said loudly with Mrs. Parker following behind.

"Girls! You didn't tell me you knew Mrs.Parker. You should come mingle with everyone! Come come!" Mrs James said trying to get us out of the kitchen.

"I'm sorry Mrs. James, we can't. Strictly Professional." Bree said for us because she was the more persuasive one.

"Don't be silly girls, I am the boss after all. To make things easier, ask your help to open the domes of the food. That way everyone can eat and you don't have to worry." she said again.

Moments later, they found themselves mingling with guests. Everyone was talking about the food, but Bree and Kat were looking out for...  "their" men.

Giving up the search for the boys, the girls decided to network with other people.. why the heck not right? They were standing in a group of people when Katerina felt a tug on her pants. Looking down, she saw the most adorable boy looking up at her.

"Hello there lil guy. What's your name?" she kneeled down so she could look at his baby blue eyes directly.

"Ronald! Ronald where are you?" I heard a mother call for him. He could have been about 5 years old.

"There you are honey. So sorry he disturbed you." just like every other woman in this room, this lady didn't have a single hair out of place. 

"He didn't. I must say, he's definitely the most handsome boy in this room." Kat smiled warmly at him causing him to lift his hands up in the air, indicating he wanted her to lift him up.

"Honey, don't ask the lovely girl to carry you." she said.

"It's alright. Come on up buddy." she carried him side ways.

Bree and Claire were shocked at what she was doing. So was Ronald's mother. "He's never let anyone but me or his nanny carry him." she said in awe.

"As far as we know, she's hated kids like a plague." Claire replied.

The three of them looked on as Katerina brought the little boy to the dessert table.

"Hey babe. Sorry we're late." Ryan said to Bree but all he got was a "Shut up." because they were now looking at her making joked with Ronald.

"What are you guys looking at." he asked again and this time Bree pinched him.

Talen was observing as well. She had a way with people he concluded. They both then drifted to the food area and she lifted a baby carrot from the snack tray and handed it to the little boy. He gladly accepted it. "That did not just happen." Ronald's mother said in awe.

Kat brought back Ronald to his mother after she cajoled him into having a few more snacks. "Now Ronald, make sure you eat your veggies ok?" she looked at him and he gave her an enthusiastic nod. As if she were a goddess. 

That's how Talen looked at her. Her magnetic aura was hypnotizing at the same time.

"Can I get a kiss from you? You are the most handsome boy I've ever seen!" she said smiling.

He puckered his lips and placed a kiss on her cheek. "Good boy." she told him. But before she could pass him back to his mother, he pointed to his cheek and said "Me too."

She gave him a loud sloppy kiss which made him giggle with delight.

"I know you're amazing at baking.. but do you baby sit?" his mother asked her making laugh.

"He's guaranteed to eat his veges now that's for sure." they talked a little more and she went off to the other guests.

"What the fuck was that Kat?" Claire asked shocked.

"Jesus, did you get possessed or something? Because I remember you saying kids were utterly annoying and should be kept on leashes." Bree added.

"He was such a darling. Bound to be a heart breaker when he grows older." she said and then noticed the two men standing there as well. 

"When did you get here." she asked hoping her voice didn't sound squeaky.

"A while ago. Slight miss communication with the hospital.. Talen took me to the hospital. That's why his mom came first." Ryan was now without his plaster around his ankle. There was just a protective band wrapped around it. 

"Alright, I have to go. The birthday girl has to cut the cake. I'll be back in a minute." Kat walked to the kitchen and took the special candles. Marie, the birthday girl was happy with the triple chocolate cake she wanted.

When Kat was sure she was done with all of her work, she got the helpers to start cleaning everything up. The guests were still sitting around talking. Food was almost gone, and Bree and instructed for it to be transferred into smaller containers for the host to keep. 

Kat approached the table where her friends were sitting and noticed an unknown brunette cosying it up to Talen. 

"Great." she thought to herself.

Since she was off her job now, she got herself some gin and tonic. But when she realised that she had to drive back, she imagined that her glass of water was vodka. To make things worst, she had to sit next to the brunette because that was the only place available.

The other two girls could tell she was annoyed. 

"So, what do you do at your job?" she asked with a slightly nasal vice.

Kat half expected him to brag about the fact that he was the CEO. But he didn't. Instead, he said "I just go for a bunch of meetings and stuff. Nothing interesting."

Ryan looked like he was about to groan out loud. "You know what, you should talk to my friend Ryan. He just got offered the managerial position at the company." Talen said in hopes the girl would stop bugging him.

"Oh wow, really?" she asked excitedly.

"Yes, yes I did." Ryan said still slightly shocked at what Talen said.

"Do you like mind if I sat there..." the girl asked somewhat nicely.

"Like totally." Kat said copying her, even flipping her hair.

Claire and Bree had to desperately hold in the laughter in them. The brunette exchanged her seat with Kat and Kat found herself looking into green eyes. She could smell his musky cologne wafting through her senses and as usual, it had her mouth watering.

"Not having anything to drink?" he looked at her glass.

"No, I'm driving."                   

"Sorry I wasn't here like i said i would be." he said softly.

"Not a big deal. Ry needed help after all." she noticed they were both sitting nuch closer now. Their conversation was interrupted by a familiar voice known by all of them.

"I wouldn't have expected to see all of you here!"

"Tommy Becker. What's up man." Ryan said ecstatically.

Tommy Becker was part of the "cool gang" back in the day. That gang being Talen.. Ryan and Sarah. Talen didn't know that Tommy was one of the guys Sarah cheated on him with. 

The did the whole hand shake and pat on the back thing.. customary men greetings.

"Let's see who do we have here. Aren't you guys going to introduce these beautiful ladies to me?" Tommy said not recognising Kat and looked on to Claire and Bree.

Kat nearly puked out the food she ate because this guy was a total phoney. Not to mention, he made her life hell when she was younger.

"That's Claire, my girl Bree, and my sister Kat. You remember her right?" Ryan looked at Kat and noticed her annoyed expression.

"Fuck no. Fatty Kat? Hey Talen, remember you gave her that name? Damn, girl you grew up fine!" he laughed like it was the joke of the year.

Bree and Claire could tell Kat was losing her cool. She was no longer leaning towards Talen. No, she wanted to be as far as she could. Stiff as a stick, she drank her water now wishing more than ever that it was something more stronger.

"Wow, you used to be fat?" the brunette said shocked.

"Oh yes, as a matter of fact, so fat they thought I ate cats." Kat laughed sarcastically.

She could feel Talen stiffen further. To make things worst, Tommy decided to pull up a chair and join them.

"How's your sister eh Kat? We dated a while back. I remember she was going through a tough time then. Ryan and Talen had just left."

"Oh, she's fucking awesome. Everyone loved her didn't they?" she said with fake happiness.

She was hoping for a way out. To stop the chit chat about the past. When one of her helpers came up to her and asked to check on something. 

That was her beeline to get the fuck out of there. Feeling his eyes on her, she didn't bother looking at him or anyone else as a matter of fact. Once she was in the kitchen, she sent texts to Claire and Bree on their Whatsapp group saying that she was leaving.

She got into her car and drove back to her place. Not wanting to face Talen or Ryan when they did eventually get back, she wondered where she could go. Her grandmother would already be in bed... with her fiancee. Jon was her obvious choice. She parked her car in his garage when she arrived.

"The girls have been texting me all night. I can't believe that bastard Tommy showed up." he hugged her.

"If you don't mind, I need some shorts, and a shirt and possibly all your alcohol." she said still boiling with anger.

"Alright you just go up. I'll be there." he told her.

She knew Talen would find for her. That's why she told Jon to say she wasn't here and that she was already asleep in her nana's apartment.

"He looked like shit." Jon poured more vodka into the cup for her as they sat on the balcony.

"I.. I know he said that a long time ago. It just made me realise if.. he's taken interest in me because he feels bad. Or if he likes me for who I am or just cause I've changed. I'm just so mad at Tommy. Really wanted to shove something up his stupid ass." she slammed the glass after taking a huge gulp.

"Great that you're not mad at Talen, cause most girls would have totally over reacted. But I feel.. he should have put Tommy in place. To show you some respect." Jon shrugged.

There was another ring from the door bell "Must be the girls." Jon got up to go and check.

True enough, it was them. "You guys won't believe what happened after she left!" Bree said shocked.

"Major drama." Claire added.

"Oh, enlighten me about how that bastard mocked me." Kat rolled her eyes.

"The total opposite. Talen screwed Tommy up. Ryan as well." after Bree had given Jon and Kat the low down, Jon knowingly looked at Kat. Her anger had somewhat simmered down considerably.

"Tommy was searching for you to apologize, but that's when they realized that you had left already. Talen was really pissed. Like seriously mad." Claire shivered.

"I'll deal with it and him and the rest of the world tomorrow. I could use a break." Kat sighed, allowing the alcohol to loosen her up.

They talked the whole night, watched tv shows, mixing alcohol with ice-cream. When it was time to wake up the next day, all three of them found themselves sprawled in Jon's theatre room.

"So.. does this mean we get to see you make up with Talen?" Claire giggled.

"I don't know if I'm going to continue flirting with him though." Kat stared at the ceiling.

She put on more decent clothes and crossed the toad back to her apartment making sure that the girls weren't following her of course. Gently opening her main door, she saw that no one was watching tv surprisingly. It was already mid day and Ryan was no where to be found. 

She tip toed quietly as she could back to her room. Just as she was about to go in, she heard one of the room doors open and she knew it was definitely Talen. She shut the door behind her and locked it.

"Katerina. I know you're there." the deep voice said from the other side. She didn't answer him, just leaned against the door and shut her eyes, listening to what he had to say. 

"I'm sorry I said that a long time ago. I was a total jerk before. I know how you must have felt, I'm sorry I didn't tell him off right away when he did say it. But I was really mad... and I may have punched him. Just try to forgive me." there was silence.

Once she was certain he had walked away, she retreated back to her heavenly shower and stayed there, making sure her tears were masked with the streams of water.

"Hey, you guys had lunch yet?" she asked when she stepped out of the room.

Both boys looked at her hoping for some sort of affection. They got nothing at all. She couldn't even look at them.

"Kat.. I'm sorry." Ryan apologized.

"You're both forgiven. I'm going out.. so you'll have to find your way for food today. See you later!" she smiled genuinely as she could, but hey could see right through her.

Was it wrong to have just a little time to bounce back? She was planning on forgiving them it was a stupid matter that happened a long time ago, but it stung real bad.

Her nana was waiting for her eagerly that she didn't even have to ring the door bell. It swung open and there stood the person who was definitely an angel reincarnate.

"Something is wrong, I can feel it." nana told her.

"Meh.. I don't want to get into it now. Let's talk about the brides maid dresses." Kat smiled.

She needed something she could lose herself in and her nana's wedding was definitely that. "Pick any color you want honey. The girls and you can choose different styles of dresses so that way your personality pops out."

They mulled over peach or baby blue and decided to stick with peach as it will fit with the theme of the wedding which was going to be during summer.

"I think you've put off not telling me what the problem really is. So, now that we're done talking about dresses, you have to spill." her nana said disapprovingly.

Kat explained what happened and her nana understood exactly how she felt. "You have a right to be angry, but.. it is important that you realize that this event can't affect your relationship with Talen. If  you want to move into the future, and if you want that future to have that handsome man, then you have to find it withing you to let go. It is a difficult task, but one that is vital."

"Yea.. I know. So where's Richard and Ryder?" she asked casually.

"They'll be back shortly. Went out to get me things to make for dinner.. which I demand you stay for. I'll make roast enough for the girls and the boys to come over."

"Ughh of course you're inviting the boys also." she groaned.

"Tut tut tut that's not how I raised you Katerina." 

"Yes nana.."

When Richard and Ryder did come back, Kat and her nana got to work with dinner. When it was time to  make dessert, Kat obviously took over. She decided to make creme brulee.. to ease some of the pain she felt.

"That looks delicious." Ryder said with his amazing British accent. 

"Mhmm.. you get to try it later. You want to help out?"

Before he could reply, another voice cut in "I'll do it. I'm sure he's got better things to do."

Kat shut her eyes briefly.. When the hell did he get here, she thought to herself.

"Alright. I'll go freshen up then." Ryder said not sensing the tension between Kat and Talen.

"Just whisk the egg quickly. Make sure it doesn't curdle." she said quietly handing him the whisk.

They worked that way silently, she gave the instructions, he followed obediently. At the end of it, she looked at him and said "Now, I forgive you."

He pulled her to him and hugged her "Sorry I was such a dick before."

"So.. are you nicer to me now just because I've lost weight?" she asked bluntly.

"NO. Not at all. You just remimnd me of someone I knew."

"Alright then. We can resume our friendship." she laughed.

Not knowing that his spirit dampened a little at her indicating that all they had was a friendship.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

301K 10.4K 42
Book 1 | Completed | My name is Hayden Price. I'm an eighteen-year-old senior in high school. Oh, and I'm the quarterback of the football team. My li...
14.7K 1K 57
Even in the darkest moments, the beginnings of love can be found. Jayna Chacon is stuck in a rut. Her job is interesting, but she doesn't have any fr...
2.8M 125K 65
[Billionaire / Fake Relationship] The last thing Livy expects is to fall for Logan, the hot but damaged billionaire who wants to help her pay for her...
56.7K 6.8K 53
{18+} 🏆 WATTYS 2023 SHORTLISTED ROMANCE Zemira Ford knows a thing or two about paparazzi and being under the limelight. What she does not know is...