The Five Dollar Mail Book 3:...

By ReginaShelley

I'm George Washington Monahan, so I am, but everyone just calls me Wash. I'm supposed to tell you what this i... More

The Story So Far (as dictated by Wash)
1: And A Little Child
2: Firebrand
3: Within A Dark Woods
4: Uncail
5: The Rain is Full of Ghosts
6: Talking Fire
7: Styx
8: When I Sorrow Most
9: War Theatre
10: The Crossing
11: A Day Late and A Dollar Short
12: La Vie en Rose
13: Into the Fire
14: Need Fear No Drowning
15: Homecoming
16: Siege
17: Common Ground
18:Sacrifices
19: Icemelt
20: Bras de Fer
21: Code Talker
22: Judgement Day
23: Until the Hour of Separation
24: Hobson's Choice
25: Sanctuary
26: More Peril In Thine Eye
27: With Heavy Looks
28: Crossroads
29: Crossroads Part II
30: Poor Restless Dove
31: First Blush
32: Hostage Negotiations
33: If I Should Ever Come Back
34: All Too Short A Date
35: Torches Burning Bright
36: Misfire
37: Chaos
38: Mirage
39: Volatile
40: Till God Calls You Away
41: If You Can Keep Your Head
42: Surrender
43: Too Present To Imagine
44: Those Two Insomnias
45: Yet All Awake
46: Blue Talk at Breakfast
47: When Dreams Go
48: Hell and Back
49: Gauntlet
50: Make It A Word and A Blow
51: And Miles to Go
52: Rendezvous
53: Because It Was Grassy
54: Stolen Moments That Leave Too Quickly
55: Resurrection
56: Whispers In the Dark
57: Backstays of the Sun
58: Fall Like A Thunderbolt
59: Flaming June
60: Tangled Web
61: Cold Draft
62: All the Manitos of Mischief
63:And His Heart Outran His Footsteps
64: Jessed
65: And the Moon Coming Out In The Gloaming
66: Ghost Road
67: Tall Tales
68: First Blood
69: Rumors
70: The Land of Opportunity
71: Dance
72: Liars
73: Romance Language
74: Dirt
75: Counter Intelligence
76: Thick As Thieves
77: Black Is the Color
78: Kindred Hearts to Bleed and Break
79: Charge
80: Squaw Man
81: Snare
82: Wanted
83: Where Angels Fear
84: By the Book
85: Ill Wind
86: Beaten
87: Coup d'รฉtat
88: It Darts Like Lightning
89: Dead Man Walking
90: All 'Round My Hat
91: Shattered
92: Convergence
93: When Only the Moon Rages
94: The Mote and the Beam
95: Criminal Element
96: Sleeper
97: Strange Bedfellows
98: Blood and Whiskey
100: All the Flowers of the Mountain
101: The Direction of Sunbeams
God Rest You Merry (prequel)
102: Fortress
103: Or As the Pearls of Morning Dew
104: Muzzle Flash
105: Hokahey
106: Crazy
107: Of Tooth and Claw
108: Shot in the Dark
109: To the Death
110: Those Who Kill Snakes
111: To the Depth and Breadth and Height
112: Kickers
113: Straight and Swift to My Wounded
114: Part of All That I Have Met
115: The Quality of Mercy
116: Sunset
117: Epilogue

99: Tell No Tales

76 12 2
By ReginaShelley

Cover painting by Angela Taratuta. Chapter artwork of Storm by Laura Hollingsworth. All graphics by me.

Book 1: The Green, Book 2: Lynch's Boys, Book 3: The Road Home, and the Riders & Kickers Anthology are available on Amazon under the name Regina Shelley. So if you hate waiting for chapter posts and/or want a more polished read, the finished product is available now.

Storm's head jerked up as the acrid scent of smoke and gunpowder hit him, a panicked gasp of horror rising in his throat. He exchanged a wide-eyed look with Jesse, and nudged his horse forward at a faster gait. "Scarcliff..." he gasped, racing past the startled Captain. "Smoke...trouble ahead."

He could hear guns being drawn behind him, as their motley, cobbled-together company picked up their pace to follow him. Something was burning, leather and hair and fabric. It was the smell of fighting and death. Frantic tendrils of fear were squeezing his heart, strangling his ability to stay calm and think clearly. Fiona...please...

The bleak landscape tumbled past him in a blur, browns and dull greens and iron reds. Since they'd left Bridger, Storm had been terrified that they wouldn't find Fiona. Now he was terrified that they would.

The tiny camp had been tossed, what was left of the white canvas tent crumpled in the damp grass and smoldering. Surveying equipment lay scattered on the ground, the remains of a broken tripod teetering in the breeze like the leg of an animal carcass bloating in the sun.

Scarcliff rode up alongside him, looking around and holding his pistol at the ready. "Surveyors."

Storm deflated, listening to his heart pounding in his ears and trying to calm down. "Obviously, they were attacked." He slid from the saddle, looking around. He saw a man's bare feet sticking ominously out from beneath the wadded, smoking tent and he hooked the toe of his boot into the canvas, tossing it back. The bloodstained body of a young man with a dark brown beard stared at him with sightless, dead eyes. "Why attack surveyors?"

"This one here needed killin'." Jesse dismounted beside him, his lip curling in disgust.

"What?" Storm turned to look at him, startled.

"I've met this sumbitch," Jesse murmured, his eyes flicking over to look at Still Water Woman, who had ridden up beside them. "He'd a' put his hands on her if it wasn't for..." He looked around. "There were three of them when we ran into them."

Eagle Bone waved a hand from the edge of the encampment, calling out in Lakota. Storm nodded. "That's two dead."

"Keep your guard up," Scarcliff was scanning the landscape around them. "We're not far behind them."

The tall grass rustled on the edge of the encampment, and they all turned, startled, at the sound of a weak, hoarse voice. "Help..."

A grizzled visage with a whiskey-brown beard appeared in the brush. Blood streaked down his dust-crusted face, and he struggled to drag himself through the grass on his elbows before collapsing.

"If it wasn't for him..." Jesse mumbled, starting forward. Storm followed, startled.

The man rolled onto his side, letting out of deep, relieved breath. "Oh, thank God. Thank God you came along." He let Jesse help him sit up, his eyes widening in recognition. "You again, eh?"

Collins was dismounting, pulling a water skin from his saddle and handing it to the man. "Who was it? What happened?"

"Much thanks, Lieutenant." He took a long, thirsty gulp, rivulets of water running through his dusty beard. "Name's Griffin. Those two dead are Bill Spires and Tolly Harper. We're surveyors for Union Pacific." He rubbed the side of his head and winced. " I don't know who it was attacked us. Some of 'em were Indian, some of them were white. Robbed us blind. I could hear them going through our supplies while I pretended to be dead. Please tell me they didn't take the damn maps."

"Did they have a woman with them?" Storm blurted.

Griffin nodded, drawing a sleeve across his face, smearing the red clots across his brow. "Yeah. A redhead wearing an army coat. Had her hands tied." He handed the canteen back to Collins and leaned heavily on Jesse's arms. "Help me up, son."

Thanks for reading! If you are enjoying this story, please let me know by giving me a star or a comment! I appreciate your support!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.2K 1K 31
๐˜ผ๐™ฃ๐™œ๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™ฎ ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™š๐™ฃ ๐™ง๐™ค๐™ข๐™–๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™š, ๐™ฉ๐™ง๐™ค๐™ช๐™—๐™ก๐™š๐™™ ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™จ, ๐™๐™ค๐™ง๐™จ๐™š๐™จ = ๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™๐™š๐™˜๐™  ๐™ค๐™› ๐™– ๐™ง๐™ค๐™ก๐™ก๐™š๐™ง๐™˜๐™ค๐™–๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง! A broken girl...
317K 13.8K 39
When long estranged Jake returns to West Line Ranch, Liz can't help but sense that they're in for a world of trouble - though as the two become close...