The Dragon's Scale (COMPLETE...

By Cross-Warrior

Classic J-RPG and anime elements collide with the Young Adult fiction writing style in this modern fantasy bo... More

The Dragon's Scale
1.1 || Invasive Dreams
1.2 || Invasive Dreams
2.1 || No Pain, All Gain
2.2 || No Pain, All Gain
2.3 || No Pain, All Gain
3.1 || Explosive Rage
3.2 || Explosive Rage
3.3 || Explosive Rage
4.1 || To Protect a Life
4.2 || To Protect a Life
4.3 || To Protect a Life
4.4 || To Protect a Life
4.5 || To Protect a Life
5.1 || A Tale of Sacrifice
5.2 || A Tale of Sacrifice
6.1 || Finding Sanctuary
6.2 || Finding Sanctuary
7.1 || Over the Clouds
7.2 || Over the Clouds
7.3 || Over The Clouds
8.1 || Only The Beginning
8.2 || Only the Beginning
8.3 || Only the Beginning
9.1 || Field Experience
9.2 || Field Experience
9.3 || Field Experience
10.1 || An Impossible Promise
10.2 || An Impossible Promise
11.1 || Aftermath
11.2 || Aftermath
11.3 || Aftermath
11.4 || Aftermath
12.1 || Nightly Visit
12.2 || Nightly Visit
13.1 || Crumbling Worlds
13.2 || Crumbling Worlds
14.2 || The Past's Hold
15.1 || Breaking the Seals
15.2 || Breaking the Seals
16.1 || Rescue Mission
16.2 || Rescue Mission
17.1 || Pesty Problem
17.2 || Pesty Problem
18.1 || Unrestful Night
18.2 || Unrestful Night
18.3 || Unrestful Night
19.1 || Ghost Town
19.2 || Ghost Town
20.1 || Bloodied Waters
20.2 || Bloodied Waters
21.1 || Place on the Team
21.2 || Place on the Team
22.1 || Survival
22.2 || Survival
22.3 || Survival
23.1 || Battle of the Titans
23.2 || Battle of the Titans
----Editing Point----
||Chapter 27.1||
||Chapter 27.2||
||Chapter 28||
||Chapter 29||
||Chapter 30.1||
||Chapter 30.2||
πŸ‰πŸ‰Now That We're DoneπŸ‰πŸ‰
πŸ‰πŸ‰TDS Sequel πŸ‰πŸ‰
πŸ‰πŸ‰The Dragon's Scale FanfictionπŸ‰πŸ‰
πŸ‰πŸ‰50k Special: Mara PoVπŸ‰πŸ‰
πŸ‰πŸ‰75k Special: Xander PoVπŸ‰πŸ‰
πŸ‰πŸ‰Birthday Special: A FriendπŸ‰πŸ‰
πŸ‰πŸ‰ Character Aesthetics πŸ‰πŸ‰

14.1 || The Past's Hold

1.6K 211 1.3K
By Cross-Warrior

Important note: This chapter has a scene left out that was previously Patreon exclusive and is now a bonus scene at the end of the book!

●●●

IT MADE NO sense, but no matter how many times Josh followed Harrison's finger, it always led straight to Mara.

"You can't be serious," Elisa snapped, sliding in front of the girl she had taken in. "Mara wouldn't help Shadow Knights."

Harrison threw up his arms, as if that accentuated his point rather than making him mirror a child throwing a tantrum. "Of course you wouldn't think she would if she's been a spy this entire time. What do you think happened instead? The Elder Dragon made a portal for the Shadow Knight with no insider help?"

Uneasy whispers spread through those gathered. Josh tuned them out, narrowing all his attention in on Mara. Shadow Knight loving parents? What was that supposed to mean?

"Or what about that kid's little brother?" Realizing Josh was "that kid," he turned to find Harrison jabbing an accusatory finger his way. "If he was with the Shadow Knight, maybe he let them in."

A firm hand pulled down on Josh's shoulder before he could rise. His dad waited to make sure Josh wouldn't move before taking his hand back. "Let the idiot talk," he whispered. "Ioana will handle it."

"I already looked into the Jodas situation, and although we still plan to investigate further, I currently deem the Elder Dragon innocent. As for the kidnapped boy, he wasn't a willing helper based on what I was told," Ioanasaid. She stood tall, exuding a mixture of power and "shut-up-before-I-punch-sense-into-you."

"Then what you're saying," Harrison continued, and Josh could have sworn Ioana swelled from the sheer force of will it took not to march over to him, "is that it was likely that Shadow Knight helping bi—"

"Cale!"

Elisa's call of warning didn't help. Cale had crossed the courtyard within mere seconds, grasped Harrison's shirt, and yanked him forward until they were face-to-face.

The look on Cale's face must have been deadly, because Harrison turned as white as a ghost.

"I suggest you carefully consider your next words," Cale said, "before your face is so swollen you cannot speak at all."

Harrison sputtered, growing paler somehow. "I was just... It only makes... Someone let the Shadow Knight in!"

"Perhaps it was you," Cale spat. "After all, you were more than happy to point fingers. Trying to hide your guilt?"

He didn't speak as if he actually believed it, but the threat laced his words. Ioana took a step toward the duo, but another voice spoke up before she could reach them.

"Caleb, release the man."

Cale froze for a moment, then let go of Harrison and stepped back. Tension stiffening his shoulders and jaw, Cale said, "Sorry, Father."

Jonathan stared holes into his son's back before turning a frown to Harrison. "Mara was in bed the entire night. Cale and I were up late discussing his recent mission. If she had sneaked out to assist..." He paused, his jaw twitching. "... to assist Peter, we would have noticed."

Harrison refused to look directly at Jonathan, but his eyes widened in the Michaels family's direction. "Then why would she—"

"Harrison, she has an alibi. If you keep speaking, I will throw you into the ocean and see if you can find a fish that will listen to your paranoid nonsense," Ioana snapped.

The man did not speak up again. At least he had a few brain cells.

Cale shot Harrison one last glare before turning back to his family. He did a double take, then hurried over to his mom and dad. Josh watched him, and it only took him a moment to realize what had caused the rush.

He didn't see Mara anywhere.

Josh leaned forward, prepared to run in some direction to find her. Cale beat him to it. With a few whispered words to his parents, he took off in the direction of the classrooms.

The urge to follow pulled at Josh still, but he swallowed and leaned back. Cale would help Mara. He would get over the uneasy feeling the idea left him. He had other, much more important problems to deal with than stupid jealousy.

"What now, Ioana?" he asked.

Ioana bit her lip, eyes roaming the crowd. She sighed and turned to him. Although her determination hadn't faltered, the fire in her eyes was lost, uncertain what path to burn along. "All we can do now is wait for Imani."

That decided, Ioana announced the dismissal to the courtyard, promising to update everyone when a plan was decided. Many shuffled back to their quarters, still whispering to each other, but a chunk stuck behind—including the Michaels, Hisato, and Akachi. Cale's parents discussed in hushed voices while Hisato and Akachi took seats nearby, watching Ioana as if waiting to help the moment she requested it.

When she was sure everyone who planned on leaving left, Ioana sat down at the table with Josh and his parents. She rubbed her eyes with the heels of her palm and just paused like that.

"How are you guys holding up?" she asked without looking up.

"I—" Josh's mom began, then she clamped her mouth shut. After a moment, she continued, "I just wish I could do something."

The frustrated words carried an unbalanced weight, like more needed to be said but was kept back. Josh could have tried analyzing the words. Figure out if they could reveal that missing connection he knew existed between his mom and the Sanctuary. But he was too drained.

"So, you think Imani will know something?" his dad asked.

Ioana laid her arms across her legs and sighed. "He said they were opening the seals," she said. "I have a bad feeling I know what he means, but I need Imani here to answer me. To tell me why they need him. To..." She pursed her lips, and her next words came out as a pained whisper. "To help me decide what to do next."

Josh forced his body to be still while his insides squirmed. A cloud of pent-up frustration lingered over their group, underlined with the hurt they each fought against. It all pushed down on his shoulders.

He shot up so suddenly everyone jumped. "I'm going to see Boomer."

His dragon's presence flared up at the mention of his name. Josh waited a moment, though, and glanced at his family.

His parents didn't argue. His mom bit her lip, but there was an understanding in her gaze that his dad shared in a smaller amount.

"We'll be here," his mom said.

Again, he had the sense of connecting dots to a mystery, but he dismissed it and wandered off toward the Sanctum.

Maybe being near someone who saw into his soul would ease the ache there.

Josh met Boomer near the heart of the Sanctum. A large tree shot up into the sky, and a few of its gigantic roots protruded from the ground. Boomer enjoyed curling up beneath them.

Now he sat in front of the tree, his head tilted as he watched Josh's approach.

If you scream into my side, it may muffle it enough, Boomer offered, a false nonchalance in his tone.

Josh patted him on the shoulder and grinned. "Thanks for the offer, but I think I've done enough screaming tonight."

As much as he would have loved to lie against Boomer and take the weight off his feet, too much energy kept Josh standing. A quick search of the area revealed a decent sized stick. He scooped it up and tested its weight. Nothing like a sword, but it could work. It would be like when he was a kid and found sticks to use as weapons against imaginary monsters.

Except that when he got into a stance and prepared for a mock battle, he didn't see giant snakes or hulking beasts. In his mind's eye, he saw Peter's sneering figure.

Baring his teeth, Josh lunged and slashed with the stick. Over and over again, he swung it, ignoring the heaviness in his arms and sweat trickling down his neck. Uncontrolled strikes, uncontrolled strength, uncontrolled breathing.

And for now, after almost an hour of shoving it down, uncontrolled frustration and pain.

You'll get him back, Boomer whispered. He'd been watching Josh's snap, channeling his presence while he remained quiet.

Josh paused, panting for breath. He rolled the stick in his hand. Sweat coated where he gripped. That doesn't change that maybe I could have stopped it, he said. His throat burned too much to voice the words aloud. We shouldn't have to get him back.

He dragged his forearm across his face. It came back wet, but he couldn't tell if from perspiration or from tears.

He stared at his arm for a heartbeat, then clenched his jaw and started his mock battle again. He's probably terrified. My parents are hurting. Ioana is hurting. And it's all my fault because I didn't

Joshua.

The stick flew from his grasp. Maybe from surprise at Boomer's serious tone or his own sweat. He couldn't tell. He didn't care. The weight of everyone's fear and frustration and hurt bore down on his shoulders, heavier than before. Crushing. His lungs constricted.

I was right there. I should have done something. Anything. Instead, I just...

Energy rushed to Josh's hands. He looked down at them. At the useless hands that hadn't even been able to get a single light blast out.

Blackness sparked to life in his hands. It jumped between his fingers, moving in the frantic movements of an unpredictable zigzag. He watched, mesmerized, as the dark light moved like...

The sour taste of realization filled his mouth as the truth crashed down on him. He shouted and waved his hands, willing the dark lightning to dispel. He had summoned lightning for the first time, and it had been tainted.

Joshua, Boomer repeated, firmer this time. He stepped in front of Josh, lowering his head until his electric blue eyes stared straight into his.

"I'm sorry," Josh breathed. "I just used the bond to create..."

We've been over this. Ioana agreed. Something wasn't right about tonight. And I know you're hurting, Boomer said. And you're allowed to hurt. But beating yourself up about it... That doesn't fix anything. What did Akachi say? Learn from it? Learning and then doing something? That fixes it. Some things...

Boomer trailed off, and although he still met Josh's eyes, it was clear how badly the dragon wanted to look away. Or look within. Instead, he rested his snout on Josh's shoulder, slightly nuzzling his cheek.

Some things can't be fixed, so please. Be strong, because Eli needs that while there's still a chance.

His words coated Josh, gradually sinking in. As they did, he raised a slow hand to wrap around Boomer's neck and rested his head against the dragon's. Josh's body gave a shudder as he stopped holding back the tears.

"I'm scared," he whispered. Scared that it had been his only chance to save Eli. Scared that they wouldn't react in time. Scared of all the different emotions swirling within him.

I know. But I also know you'll soon feel something else.

Before Josh could question Boomer or piece out the meaning himself, a new voice spoke up.

"Should I come back later?"

Fun Fact: Harrison is the second name I've nabbed from my friend Wimbug and her Jewel series. Well, her character's name is Herrison, but still.  Though her Herrison/Harrison is much better and a lot less dung-brained.  If I never said what the first name was, it's Tom xD

Fingers have been pointed, emotions are high, and it just seems like nobody is having a good time right now U^.^ Except you guys.  I hope you all are enjoying all the fun :D Now Mara's run off, which doesn't look good at all, and Josh is off struggling to cope.  But it seems he may have a guest.  Also, I have been imagining snapped Cale for way too long, not gonna lie...

Let me know your thoughts of the chapter down below, and if you enjoyed, don't forget to comment and/or vote.  Or even join my Patron, which can be found in my bio.  The lowest tier only costs $1 a month and gives you access to my discord, where you can get chapter previews and other perks detailed in Now That You're Caught Up.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.9K 6.3K 53
Amberleigh had been recklessly traveling between realms for years (accidentally, of course) unsure of how or why she continually found herself in a w...
10.6K 1.7K 65
|π”Ήπ• π• π•œ 𝕋𝕨𝕠 𝕠𝕗 𝕋𝕙𝕖 π•Šπ• π•¦π•-π”Ήπ• π•¦π•Ÿπ•• β„‚π•™π•£π• π•Ÿπ•šπ•”π•π•–π•€| |Updates once per week on the weekends| The veil separating the realms has weak...
539K 18.7K 75
She had only wanted to have a working marriage and a happy family. Despite that, her husband leaves her for another woman after the loss of their unb...
81.8K 5.6K 30
Centuries after the Fall, the United States has been wiped away. The crumbling remains of the great American empire are home now only to savage, lawl...