The Blackmail® [Complete]

By Redstiletos

"I could pay you much more." He said quietly, his piercing blue eyes saying the opposite. "Oh yes you will... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four (Ovian's POV)
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thrity
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter forty
Chapter Forty-One

Chapter Thirty-six

845 29 0
By Redstiletos

Just as Lord Gringham had warned, we were woken up by 5am and ushered into the king's quarters. Ovian was whisked away somewhere to prepare him for the ceremony. Several dresses were brought before me and there were many people hurrying around to prepare me for the coronation.

After the show Lahran put up last night, sleep had eluded me. The thought that if Lahran was found guilty, Ovian would become king had never occurred to me. The thought that I was going to become Queen had made my blood pressure increase greatly during the night.

Then guilt covered me like a blanket. Guilt that I was using someone else's name for my own gain. A dead woman for that matter. Even if nobody knew, I knew. I knew I was fake. All this time I had been consoling myself that it was for a greater cause to make me sleep better at night.

But Queen?

How do I face people knowing what I am? This has gone too far.

I could only register that people were in the room with me. My mind had gone numb and I moved like a robot. I kept thinking, how can this be happening? I've been a lady of noble birth, a princess, now a queen! And it's all a lie!

"Tania." Taylor whispered. "Tania!"

I looked down at her as she squatted down beside me making me wonder why she was whispering.

"Stop spacing out! You need your wits about you now. You are going to be Queen!"

"But I don't want to be Queen." I murmured, tears threatened to fall down my cheeks. She quickly took my hands.

"Don't say that! Something has happened to Lahran and his mother, I don't know yet but I'm hearing rumors. And they don't want usurpers to take advantage that's why this is being thrust upon Ovian so quickly. And since he's married to you-"

"No. He's married to Charlotte."

Taylor whispered urgently. "Tania, now is not the time to feel whatever it is you are feeling. Look how far you have come and all that you have accomplished. You knew right from the beginning what you were getting into and you agreed. So snap out of it!"

I shook my head. "The plan never included being Queen! It's all a lie! I can't-"

"You can and you will!" Taylor said indignantly.

"No!" I shouted as I stood up and ran out of the room. Everyone had looked at me, wondering what was going on. I didn't care. I just needed to get out of there. I heard Taylor calling me but I just couldn't stop. Tears were falling down my cheeks and I felt like my heart was going to burst. Suddenly, I couldn't breath anymore. It seemed as if my lungs were closing up. I felt my body hit the floor. I realised I was having one of my panic episodes.

Then I heard a voice as if from a distance. "Breathe Tania. Please, just breathe." I looked up to find Ovian hovering over me. My vision was becoming blurry. "Tania! Open your eyes!"

I opened my eyes and stare at Ovian. "Please baby, concentrate on your breathing." As soon as I allowed breath into my lungs, my vision began to clear.

"Ovian." I breathed.

"I am here." I felt him carry me and I buried my face in his neck. He took us to our former quarters and placed me on the bed.

"Are you okay?" He asked as he pulled me close.

"Yes." I said softly. "I am sorry."

"It's alright baby. So much is being demanded of you in such short notice."

"How did you know? Did Taylor call you?"

"I know how your mind works Tania. I knew you would be feeling overwhelmed by all this. I was on my way to you when I found you on the floor. Thank heavens I did." Then he tensed. "Taylor should have followed you."

"I...was arguing with her." I sighed. "I know what's expected of me, I just...felt sad about it."

He shifted so he could look into my eyes. "Why are you sad?"

"I don't know. Maybe because...because its all pretense? I am not Charlotte, Ovian. I feel so guilty using her name."

"Only a few people know that-"

I roll away from him to stand beside the bed. "You don't get it! I am not real! I am fake!"

"Tania, Charlotte is dead-"

"Exactly! I am wearing the shoes of a dead girl!"

"But you didn't have a problem with it yesterday, how is today different?"

"Maybe being Queen is too much..."

"Of course it's too much. So is being King." He sighed and came to draw me close. "Tania, you definitely are not Charlotte. But I am so grateful you are not. You are Tania, my fierce fighter and biggest supporter. And I need you beside me. Right now, I need people I can trust." He raised my chin so I had to look into his eyes. "I love you Tania and I want you to please help me rule this land. I can't do it without you. I know it's a great thing to ask. Please, help me."

I flung my arms around his neck. "I love you Ovian!" I breathed into his neck. Finally.

He tightened his hold on me and I felt safe. And ready.

The ceremony took place in the King's Abbey. The Abbey is a very big hall, somewhat like a theatre but more beautiful. The ceilings were colourfully painted in the history of the republic. It was used only for coronations. All the stair rails were ornate mahogany, carved and polished so it shined. The floors were engraved in marble and the place was decorated in gold and burgundy colours which were the monarch's colours.

After Ovian's assurances, I decided to put my fears aside and concentrate on the history we were making today.

I marched slowly and solemnly towards the altar, where Ovian had just concluded his coronation. While in the vestry, I had heard people shout "long live the king" so I knew it was my turn.

I was wearing a long burgundy robe over a gold dress. The robe had huge sleeves, with gold embroidered at the helm. It was the traditional attire for the Queen's coronation.

I moved slowly towards the altar where my husband was already standing, looking so regal and handsome in his attire. Our eyes met and locked on each other, his, warm and assuring, silently telling me I will be alright.

After I had taken the oath solemnly, the minister in charge of the ceremony asked me to kneel before him. I did and he placed a gold crown, lined with diamonds and red rubies, on my head. Then he took my hand and helped me to my feet and proclaimed, "Long live the Queen!" and the people in the hall chanted after him, "Long live the Queen!".

Then Lord Gringham, who was also the highest ranking Lord in the kingdom, came onto the altar and proclaimed that Ovian Sheldon Lancaster was the rightful heir to the deceased King and that if anyone was in doubt should step forward with proof or forever hold his peace.

When no one stepped forward, the elderly man proclaimed, "Long live the King!" And everyone chanted the same. Immediately, Ovian came to take my hand and we were ushered through a secret door to a room where our official photographs will be taken.

After the pictures, we were taken back to the King's quarters to change into new clothes for the banquet. I was so relieved to be free of the heavy coronation clothing. And now I changed into a very exquisite dress. Beads, glassy stones and pearls were embellished into the dress. I looked and felt like a queen with my crown sitting on my head.

Soon we were taken to the banquet where we sat down in our seats as King and Queen. Many people came to greet us and bow before us. It was overwhelming. Ovian just held my hand all through the time.

"My Queen." I tensed before my gaze fell upon the reason for my discomfort.

Lord Fairweather was bowing low before me. When he rose, there was a glint in his eyes and a smirk curved his lips. I nodded my head and look towards Ovian. He noticed my discomfort and glared at Fairweather.

"I am most glad that we have the rightful heir on the throne." He was saying. "I pledge my devotion to the throne and the kingdom at large. And I will also make sure that whatever remains hidden shall be uncovered. May you rule with wisdom my King, my Queen." He bowed again and walked away.

I sighed in relief. But my relief was short lived. Whatever did he mean by his statement? Was he silently threatening me? I wondered. Panic slowly began gathering in the pit of my stomach. Since my last encounter with him, I had not remembered to tell Ovian.

What am I going to do? I thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 161K 50
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
410K 16.3K 32
HIGHEST RANKING #10 on 14-2-17 #9 on 15-2-17 Amelia Grayson runs away from home to start a life in New York. She finds a job as a personal assistant...
1.4M 35.4K 47
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
419K 8.8K 35
Charisma. Wealth. Good-looks. All characteristics which high-flying legal CEO Riccardo Alonso owns. He is the most desired bachelor in New York, wh...