In Love With a Human (Book 1...

By MusicalMe16

What do you do when you fall in love with your worst enemy? When the penalty is death? Most importantly, what... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: My Story
Chapter 2: Sirens and Humans
Chapter 3: What Now?
Chapter 4: Breaking Laws
Chapter 5: Honesty
Chapter 6: Dance
Chapter 7: High Tide
Chapter 8: Hurricane
Chapter 9: Fear
Chapter 10: Life or Death
Chapter 11: Healing Slowly
Chapter 12: Trouble on the Horizon
Chapter 13: Never Give Up
Chapter 14: Mission Impossible
Chapter 15: Love is in the Air
Chapter 16: Apologies Are in Order
Chapter 17: First Timers
Chapter 18: Choices
Chapter 19: Friend Zoned?
Chapter 20: Last Chance
Chapter 21: Say Yes
A/N: Dedications
A/N: Fun Facts
A/N: Book Two Is Out!

Chapter 22: For Now, For Always

506 37 46
By MusicalMe16

(A/N)

Sniffle, sniffle. This... is... the... last... chapter. Thank you all for being amazing fans and making me get this book somewhere. Thank you all for voting and reading. If it weren't for you guys and your comments this book wouldn't exist. Thank you all my beautiful, fishy, swimmingly awesome merpeople!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Scarlett's POV)

"Some of you know of this already, and I am glad to announce that I have a Pair." The whole mervillage had joined to hear Dane's announcement. Everyone knew he felt differently about Humans, but no one knew the reason, except for some. "There is something that no one knows yet. I am engaged to my Pair. And she is with us here today." My mouth fell open as Lyla herself swam out from behind the curtains on the balcony from which Dane was addressing us. "The coronation will be in two weeks three days after our wedding."

He wrapped his hand around Lyla's and a cheer arose from the crowd with my yell probably being the loudest. I locked eyes with Lyla and she gave me a sad look. I made a gesture that asked if we could talk after. She nodded yes.

***

"Scarlett will you ever be able to forgive me?" Lyla asked once we entered her room. I answered her question by giving her a hug.

"Already have hun."

"Thank you," she said hugging me back.

"On one condition," I said pulling away from the hug.

"Anything."

"I get to help you get ready for your big day." She laughed.

"I wouldn't want anyone else to do it." We hugged again.

***

*two weeks later*

"How do women do this?" I said as took off my 'heels' as Humans called them. I prefer the term death trap. I almost fell and broke my neck three times in the past thirty minutes alone.

"You're doing pretty well for your first time."

"Are you kidding?! I almost died back there, there, and there!" I screamed pointing to where I had tripped. "Watch, while I'm walking down the aisle I will trip, fall on my butt, and ruin your whole wedding."

Lyla and Dane had decided to have their wedding on land since Dane's family could easily come on land and turn into Humans whereas Lyla's friends, not so much with the whole underwater thing. Plus, Lyla wanted Mimi to be her maid of honor. I met her and seemed sweet.

"Don't dramatize it Scarlett. If you fall I will stop the wedding to go help you up."

"I love how that just screams embarrassment."

"Fine, then, if you fall I will pretend nothing happened and ignore you. Sound good?"

"Perfect," I replied laughing. "Now hold still while I do your hair and makeup."

"Okay. And for the record for a person who's never worn, seen, or heard of makeup, you have done pretty well with mine."

"Thank you. It's fun and actually pretty easy. There's just a couple basic things to know and your face was created for making makeup look good, not the other way around."

"Aw, thanks. You know there's such a thing as waterproof makeup."

"Soon-to-be-bride say what?" I said stopping what I was doing.

"Yeah, I bought you some since you were so fascinated by mine the other day."

"Oh my gosh thank you thank you thank you!" I squealed hugging her.

"Your welcome, now let's hurry up we have less than an hour."

"Already done." Lyla spun around in her chair to stare at her reflection. I had put on some light pink blush to bring out her cheekbones, white sparkly eyeshadow and mascara that made her blue eyes pop, pink lipstick that made her lips look naturally that color, and a teensy bit of foundation. For her hair I had twisted it in a bun and used some of my seashell clips to hold it in place and put her veil in.

"Scarlett, you are a genius in beauty. I look amazing!" she said giving me a hug.

"Your welcome and thank you. Now let's go, we have a wedding to go to.

(Declan's POV)

"You know, I never thought I'd be the guy-who-tried-to-have-me-killed's best man," I said handing Dane his tuxedo jacket.

"Yeah, me neither."

"You're funny. Hilarious actually."

"Just shut up," he said fixing his collar.

"Is the King feeling a bit nervous?" I said teasing him.

"No!" he snapped.

"Aha! Denial proves my point. Wow I am going to remember this day forever."

"I will pay you to forget it."

"Nice try."

"Darn. Could you at least help me with this thing?" he said struggling with his bow tie.

"Oh, uh uh man. The mother does that. Well, the best man does too sometime's but this is a different scenario!" I realized his mom wouldn't know how to tie one either so I'd end up doing it anyway. "Fine, I'll do it. But you owe me!"

"Alright, I'll owe you." I went over to him and fixed his bow tie.

"This is beyond weird," I mumbled. "There, you're done. Now let's go."

(Scarlett's POV)

Phew, I did it. I walked down the stinking aisle without killing myself. Today shall be noted as a great accomplishment in history! I took my seat next to Declan and began breathing normally again.

"Good job, you didn't trip," he pointed out.

"Shut up or I will kick you with them. I've heard it hurts very badly."

"No you won't. You know you love me."

"I can turn that comment into a very interesting conversation," I threatened.

"You're too cute. I love you," he said giving me a kiss on the cheek. I wiped it off like an angry little kid.

"Such a child."

"Fishbrain."

"Ouch, now you've really gone too far," he said with mock sadness. I stuck my tongue out at him and turned my head to see Lyla walk down the aisle and Dane's smile get bigger and bigger. Soon the ceremony started.

"Dearly beloved," the preacher (who was one of us) began. Apparently Humans and mers have the same wedding speech and stuff. "We are gathered here today, on this happy and joyous occasion, to join this man and this woman in holy matrimony. Marriage is a solemn institution to be held in honor by all, it is the cornerstone of the family and of the community. It requires of those who undertake it a complete and unreserved giving of one's self. It is not to be entered into lightly, as marriage is a sincere and mutual commitment to love one another. This commitment symbolizes the intimate sharing of two lives and still enhances the individuality of each of you. Dane, do you take this woman to be your wedded wife? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her in sickness and in health, remaining faithful to her as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"And Lyla, do you take this man to be your wedded husband? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him in sickness and in health, remaining faithful to him as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"Then by the power invested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Lyla jumped up to meet Dane's lips as everyone broke into cheers. In three days Lyla will be queen, Dane will somehow, along with Lyla, break the news to the Humans that mers still exist, and I can actually start my job. Dad will train Declna to be a Warrior and evrything will be right again. No drama, no killing, no war.

***

*two years later*

"Declan? Seriously where are we going? I've explored like everywhere and have been living in the ocean longer than you have. I doubt there's a place I haven't been to."

"I know," Declan answered still not removing his hands from my eyes. "It's just more fun this way." We continued to swim a little ways when Declan stopped and took his hands off my face.

"Ta-da!"

We were at the reef where we hang out with Marine and the rock we usually sit on was decorated with ocean flowers and seashells. I turned around to face Declan.

"One, I told you you wouldn't be taking to someplace new. This is our like most popular hangout. Two, it's so beautiful! When did you do this? Is it for me?"

"Of course it's for you. And I did it this morning when your dad and I were training," he said putting quotation marks around the word training.

"Sneaky. Again it's really beautiful," I said taking a seat. He brought out a covered plate from behind the rock and took the cover off.

"Are you interested in a seaweed wrap made by me?"

"Aw, my favorite. Yes, I am very interested in it since it's made by you. What kind?"

"Surprise kind."

"You're lucky I trust you," I said taking a bite out of it. "Oh my gosh it's amazing! You are a really good cook."

"Thank you madame," he said taking one for himself and begginning to munch on it. We set our plates aside when we finished and Declan began the most beautiful speech ever.

"You know, everything we've been through together seems like it would tear our relationship apart, but it didn't. Those experiences made our relatioship stronger. You are beautiful and nothing less than perfect. You are too perfect to be called perfect." I began tearing up. "I love you more than words can say and I want to be with you forever. I want your face to be the first thing I wake up to every morning. I want to hear you singing a special lullaby to our kids before they go to sleep every night. I want all of you and only you. I want to have a part in anything that has to do with you. I want to be the one you can go to no matter what and be your stronghold for life."

"Declan that's so beautiful," I began but stopped when I noticed him searching for something. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, it's just, I could have sworn I, I don't even, oh! I remember now!" he said coming back up from behind the rock and whistling for Marine. "Marine! Marine! Oh, there you are buddy!" he said as Marine came into view. Marine went straight to him and dropped something in his hand that looked like an oyster.

"What's that? You already gave me my daily shell."

"But clearly this is not a shell, it is an oyster."

"Same difference."

"It's a very special oyster, therefore, not the same difference." I laughed. "Okay, so normally you would get down on one knee but seeing as I don't have any, sitting will do."

He opened the oyster which I just now realized had been fashioned to hold something inside. I gasped. In it was a ring with a perfect pearl replacing the diamond.

"Scarlett?" I looked up at Declan with tears blurring my vision. "Will you marry me?"

End of Book 1

---------------------------------------------

Well, I know it says end of book 1 which implies that there might be another book, but... I think I'll leave it up to you guys to decide that. I want a comment from every single one of you that you guys want another book. I can always change my mind. Hehehe. MWAHAHA! Lol.

Thank you for all your support again and for being believers and my amazing readers!

Stay classy, stay sassy, I love you all!

(Not in any disgusting way though)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.7M 571K 40
This book is FREE with paid BONUS chapters! Everyone knows mermaids and vampires can't date. But when a mermaid ends up at a boarding school with a s...
256 4 75
Think you know mermaids? Think again. (Think underwater Twilight) **** "Our waters are changing. We've known it for a while now. We can sense it. We...
1.2K 41 25
Sometimes you take advantage that you have your friends with you around all the time. And when it's time to split apart you're never really ready. Th...
Hunter By Tori

Adventure

73.5K 2.1K 44
Book 1 of the Hunter Series A family with hunter blood running through their bodies. This family kills any mythical creature they come across, and th...