The Five Dollar Mail Book 3:...

By ReginaShelley

I'm George Washington Monahan, so I am, but everyone just calls me Wash. I'm supposed to tell you what this i... More

The Story So Far (as dictated by Wash)
1: And A Little Child
2: Firebrand
3: Within A Dark Woods
4: Uncail
5: The Rain is Full of Ghosts
6: Talking Fire
7: Styx
8: When I Sorrow Most
9: War Theatre
10: The Crossing
11: A Day Late and A Dollar Short
12: La Vie en Rose
13: Into the Fire
14: Need Fear No Drowning
15: Homecoming
16: Siege
17: Common Ground
18:Sacrifices
19: Icemelt
20: Bras de Fer
21: Code Talker
22: Judgement Day
23: Until the Hour of Separation
24: Hobson's Choice
25: Sanctuary
26: More Peril In Thine Eye
27: With Heavy Looks
28: Crossroads
29: Crossroads Part II
30: Poor Restless Dove
31: First Blush
32: Hostage Negotiations
33: If I Should Ever Come Back
34: All Too Short A Date
35: Torches Burning Bright
36: Misfire
37: Chaos
38: Mirage
39: Volatile
40: Till God Calls You Away
41: If You Can Keep Your Head
42: Surrender
43: Too Present To Imagine
44: Those Two Insomnias
45: Yet All Awake
46: Blue Talk at Breakfast
47: When Dreams Go
48: Hell and Back
49: Gauntlet
50: Make It A Word and A Blow
51: And Miles to Go
52: Rendezvous
53: Because It Was Grassy
54: Stolen Moments That Leave Too Quickly
55: Resurrection
56: Whispers In the Dark
57: Backstays of the Sun
58: Fall Like A Thunderbolt
59: Flaming June
60: Tangled Web
61: Cold Draft
62: All the Manitos of Mischief
63:And His Heart Outran His Footsteps
64: Jessed
65: And the Moon Coming Out In The Gloaming
66: Ghost Road
67: Tall Tales
68: First Blood
69: Rumors
70: The Land of Opportunity
71: Dance
72: Liars
73: Romance Language
74: Dirt
75: Counter Intelligence
76: Thick As Thieves
77: Black Is the Color
78: Kindred Hearts to Bleed and Break
79: Charge
80: Squaw Man
81: Snare
82: Wanted
83: Where Angels Fear
84: By the Book
85: Ill Wind
86: Beaten
87: Coup d'état
88: It Darts Like Lightning
89: Dead Man Walking
90: All 'Round My Hat
91: Shattered
93: When Only the Moon Rages
94: The Mote and the Beam
95: Criminal Element
96: Sleeper
97: Strange Bedfellows
98: Blood and Whiskey
99: Tell No Tales
100: All the Flowers of the Mountain
101: The Direction of Sunbeams
God Rest You Merry (prequel)
102: Fortress
103: Or As the Pearls of Morning Dew
104: Muzzle Flash
105: Hokahey
106: Crazy
107: Of Tooth and Claw
108: Shot in the Dark
109: To the Death
110: Those Who Kill Snakes
111: To the Depth and Breadth and Height
112: Kickers
113: Straight and Swift to My Wounded
114: Part of All That I Have Met
115: The Quality of Mercy
116: Sunset
117: Epilogue

92: Convergence

101 16 3
By ReginaShelley

Cover painting by Angela Taratuta. Chapter artwork of Storm made by me of found images. All graphics by me.

Book 1: The Green, Book 2: Lynch's Boys, Book 3: The Road Home, and the Riders & Kickers Anthology are available on Amazon under the name Regina Shelley. So if you hate waiting for chapter posts and/or want a more polished read, the finished product is available now.

Storm's anger had been simmering inside him the entire time they'd ridden towards the Lakota village. It was all he could do to contain it. The Voices of Rage and Terror were snarling inside him like rabid wolves, jerking hard against the chains that barely held them at bay. His skin felt hot, and sweat that had nothing to do with the day's warmth slid down his spine, making him shiver. He'd discarded the borrowed blue army jacket back at the fort. He had figured it made no sense at all to wear something that would completely eliminate any chance he might have for getting out of this mess alive. This mess was Collin's doing. Lundy Bad Medicine had been more right than he ever knew about the man being dangerous.

He glanced at Lynch, riding beside him in silence on Black. The man's craggy face seemed chipped of flint, and Storm was sure he'd never seen his employer look so old.

There was a chill between them that Storm didn't expect to be able to repair. The back of his scalp ached where he'd smacked it on the wall of the cabin when Lynch had shoved him, and his throat burned, bruised from the angry fingers around his neck. I'm not going to have a job after this, he thought. I suppose I'm lucky enough to be alive after that fiasco in the cabin. If we didn't have a bigger problem right now, I suspect I wouldn't be. It pained him that Lynch was angry with him. He had nothing but respect for his employer, and the knowledge that Lynch was furious enough to lay hands on him added to his already wretched state of mind.

"Mister Lynch," he said, keeping his voice low. "We're riding into a Lakota village that just got attacked by the army. You understand that they might kill us outright."

"Yep."

Storm nodded, his eyes fixing on the trail ahead, trying not to think about how vulnerable and helpless he felt. He didn't care if his hawk feather...his Medicine...was gone, as long as Fiona still had it with her, wherever she was. Maybe it will protect her. If it doesn't, if she... He squeezed his eyes shut against the thought. Then it doesn't matter anyway. He opened his eyes, looking around. "Someone's up ahead."

Lynch's hand went to his sidearm. "You heard something?"

"I can tell there's horses...and..." Something invisible was crawling across his chest, phantom fingers making his skin tingle, like ants right before they start to sting. He stopped, gasping, and he saw the brave behind a stand of pinyons, aiming a arrow directly at his heart. "Lynch..." He held up his hands, showing them empty.

The warrior was about his same age, haggard but fierce. Drying blood flecked his bare chest and streaked across his face in cracking stripes. His eyes bored into Storm's.

"I know the village was attacked by bluecoats," Storm said quickly in Lakota. "We had people there. We're not hostile to you."

The warrior opened his mouth to speak, but before he could say anything, he was interrupted by a husky, familiar twang. "Oh, shitfire, I might've reckoned you weren't far behind." Jesse stepped out of hiding, uncocking a pistol. "Didn't expect to see Mister Lynch, though. You heard what happened?"

Storm's mind was reeling in confusion. He glanced at Lynch who was staring at Jesse, stunned. 

Lynch's eyebrows had all but disappeared underneath his hat. "What the hell?" the old man rasped. "Hanson?"

Jesse was wearing Lakota clothing. Blood had streaked down the collar and side of his leather shirt, and a dirty bandage showed over his collarbone. He was unshaven, with the remnants of sunburn peeling from his stubbled cheeks. He gestured at them, saying "Eagle Bone, they're friends. Family." It took Storm a beat to realize he'd said it in Lakota, and another one to realize his own mouth was hanging open. The Lakota warrior let his aim drop to the ground, relaxing his bow.

Did he...what did I just...marda. "Yeah, I...Jesse, how did you get out here and what...I mean...?" The words stumbled stupidly out of Storm's mouth as he processed the impossible scenario before him. He shook his head, trying to shrug out of his shock. Accept it, the Voice of Reason whispered to him. He's here. You can ask why and how later. "Yeah, we know," he said, clearing his throat. "Where's Fiona and Dev?"

"She got drug off by Hezekiah Stone. Dev's back at the village being tended. Stone shot him. Give us a second to get our horses. We're goin' after her."

Thanks for reading! If you are enjoying this story, please let me know by giving me a star or a comment! I appreciate your support!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 6K 35
"Dance with me." While I knew it wasn't a demand, it wasn't a question either. I hesitated and he noticed. "Come on Grace, give this gentleman the...
73.9K 5.3K 37
Sixteen-year-old Randy has been playing games with her pa for as long as she can remember. When shots are fired while she's tending her ill-tempered...
9.9K 210 18
Skyler James. A 19 year old horsewoman with unbelievable ranching, riding, and roping skills. Life on the ranch is amazing, as any horse obsessed, ca...
1.8K 125 43
"I had no idea what had just happened. First I was lying down and enjoying myself and now there was a beautiful and I really mean beautiful boy was s...