Unchained

By DarklyCosmos

"Does it hurt to die?" she whispered to me. I thought long and hard about my response. Finally, when the corr... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Ninteteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Fourty
Chapter Fourty One
Chapter Fourty Two
Chapter Fourty Three
Chapter Fourty Four
Chapter Fourty Six
Chapter Fourty Seven
Chapter Fourty Eight
Chapter Fourty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Epilogue
... Or Is It?

Chapter Fourty Five

305 14 4
By DarklyCosmos

I knew something was wrong when I bashed open the front door.

Correction: I already knew something was wrong way before I even got home. I mean, that's just been my gut ever since I "died". But I knew something was... More wrong when I bashed open the front door. 

My mom was pacing around, her hand running through her strangely neat hair. She wore jeans and a sweater jacket, like she was ready to go out. My dad was at the counter, frowning as he talked to somebody on the phone. It looked like he just got home from work. And they both looked up at me.

"Avaley!" my mother cried and engulfed me in her arms. "We were beginning to think you went to Sean's," she breathed into my hair.

"Sean?" I said.

"Yes - we said you would be staying with him, until he got arrested, of course." my mother said, taking a step back. She looked behind me. "Is David not here?"

"Oh... Uh..." I stammered. What would I say? "Oh, he's buried under a pile of junk I threw at him... And I kind of stabbed him with this blade that is currently hidden beneath the jacket wrapped around my arms, so don't look, all right?" "He's just not here right now. I think he's busy." Well, at least I was sort of correct.

"Avaley, what's that in your hands?" my mom said, looking down at my jacket in my hands. "Don't hold your jacket like that, you'll drag it on the ground. Here." she reached down to take it from my arms but I jumped back.

"No!" I cried. The blade was still in there. I couldn't let her see it. She'd blow her top off. If she hadn't already. My eyes skimmed over the table to see if I could distract her with something. My eyes landed on the day's newspaper and I nearly fainted. 

"What are you looking at?" my mom said, and met my gaze. "Oh, today's paper." she picked it up and handed it to me. Or rather, dropped it on my jacket which I held out. 

Who is this flying person? It read on the headlines, and it looked like someone had taken a picture from an airplane seat, and sure enough, there was a random flying person. 

"Wh-where did you get this?" I stammered.

"It's all over the news, Avaley," my mom said. "But don't worry about that. We have to go to the police station for - "

"The police station? Why?" I demanded, feeling an urgency to get away. I had to find Kevin. Pronto.

"Pack your bags," my dad declared, ending his phone conversation. "Take only the essentials for about three days. Officers say they're going to send us to a safe house."

"Safe house?" I repeated. "Why?"

"Didn't you hear, Avaley?" my mom said to me. "Sean escaped."

Thud. "W-what." I said.

"Stupid boy. How could he escape his holding cell? He's not magic," my dad muttered as he rifled through drawers for things. "I'm bringing our gun. You never now."

"Gun?" my mom asked. "Since when do we have a gun?"

"Wait!" I said, and they both looked at me. "I don't get it. Sean escaped? What's going to happen to us now?"

"The police wants us under protection so he won't do anything, sweetie," my mom said to me. "We'll be fine, Avaley."

No we wouldn't. Obviously if Sean escaped there was a problem. A big one. I wasn't sure if he had powers or anything, but after what he tried to do to me...

"I'm gonna go to my room..." I said, and turned and headed for the stairs. I wanted to get away from all of this - and just find Kevin, since he was the person I needed to see now. But my mind was tangled up in the mess of everything that had happened. Mr. Hauge encounter, David's betrayal, Tamara, that beautiful woman... I just wanted answers...

"Not so fast," my dad said, walking towards me, a hand outstretched. "We need to - "

Oh, crap. My mom screamed, and my dad looked towards the front door. His eyes widened with terror as suddenly smack and a loud crash as he went soaring through the backdoor and a splash, landed in the pool. Adrenaline soared through me as I looked at the intruder... And guess who it was?

"Welcome home, Avaley," Sean grinned slyly at me, showing the long fangs that had somehow developed on his face. "I want to personally congratulate you."

"Congratulate?" I whispered, terror running through me.

"Avaley, run!!!" my mom shrieked, and then hurled a vase at Sean, who held up his wrist and ker-smash!!!! shards fluttered to the ground. My mom gasped and then Sean was racing towards her, and she screamed, and then there was a huge dent in the wall, all of our family portraits demolished. He was moving so quick. I could barely - 

I flinched as suddenly Sean was in front of me. He grinned again. "Don't be so shocked, Avaley," he said, running a finger down my neck. "You should be happy."

"And why's that?" I said, stalling for tactics.

"Today's the day you and your angel die."

Quickly, I jumped back, tossing my jacket to the side and unsheathing the blade beneath it. I held it high, pointing it at Sean so he knew I had it. I saw his eyes ignite with fury and shock, then quickly sent me a menacing, beautiful smile. "You don't know the first thing about fighting with those, silly girl." and he lunged for me, holding his left fist out and aiming it at my face.

Just as he was nearing me, I sent the blade down, slashing his wrist but he pulled it back and his right hand grabbed my wrist, holding the blade, and pulled it to him. In other words, our arms were twisted. Using my opposing hand, I reached over to pry it off but Sean grinned at me and I screamed.

My hands burst into flames, and I stumbled backwards trying to shake the fire off. I crashed into the piano (baby grand) and with all my strength, I shoved it at Sean. Pure intensity, pure pain, burning was seething through my veins. I smashed my hands into the walls, trying to get it off. I managed to pass the piping for the bathroom, I guess, because before I knew it, a huge spurt of water soaked my face. All that was left on my hands were third degree burns.

And the blade, of course. Not damaged at all.

I heard a grunt behind me and ducked as Sean threw a fist at me. How could he fight like this? Was he like me, with powers? Or a demon guardian from H-E-double-toothpicks? 

Oh, yeah. I had powers, didn't I?

I sprinted over to the other end of the piano. Sean began to jump over it, aiming himself to attack me but I crawled under the piano and hoisted my arms up, lifting it up along with Sean, on top. I heard him yelling, "No more games, Avaley! It's time to face your true destiny!"

And what was that? I didn't even know what the heck he was, none the less what was.

I jumped into the air, flying up, as Sean and the piano crashed through the second floor. I winced as I imagined our damage house and threw myself back as I dropped the piano, making sure to flip it over. Childhood memories of me learning how to play that thing flashed through my mind as I saw it crumple in ruins below me. 

I started to fly out of the house but suddenly Sean's arms wrapped around me and I was falling. He was laughing maniacally in my ear and I held up the blade and threw it backwards. Sean yelled in an agonizing manner as slimy liquid spewed all over my hand and he let me go, and I landed on feet and took off sprinting out of the house. The blade was still attached to my hand and I held it under my other arm as I yelled, "HELP! SOMEONE, HELP!!!!! as loud as I could.

Something hit my head and I smashed into the pavement. I saw it was another one of my mom's vases, and then someone stepped on my back and pushed me harder against the searing hot sharp cement.

After a spit of blood to the ground, Sean said, "Time's up, Avaley. Your powers will do you no good." he laughed. "You don't even know how to control them, sweetie. I guess it's a good thing I get to claim your corpse."

"But... why?" I mumbled into the pavement, my saliva making my nose wet. I felt Sean trying to wedge the blade out of my tender hands. 

"Because," he said sweetly, yet totally evilly. "I don't like you, Avaley. I just want you to know that."

I cried out as the blade was suddenly ripped from my hand. Sean chuckled triumphantly. 

"Good night, Avaley," he said, and plunged the blade into my back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

447K 12.9K 34
Blaze White is the New Girl at the Prep school in her mothers old home town. But her only goal for senior year is to keep a low profile, no friends...
399K 12.6K 39
Lucy Parker Your average eighteen-year-old girl right? Wrong. When Lucy was eleven she shifted into a huge red fox. When she shifted she got this 'vo...
Altered By I cry lots.

Science Fiction

8.8K 564 43
Before you read any of this, please know that I hate how I wrote this book and there's are major plot holes. I want to rewrite it but I can't find an...
3.5K 107 10
***this book contains suicidal thoughts and tendencies, may not be appropriate for younger audiences*** In which she looks for the purpose of life. L...