Damned If I Don't *Matt Murdo...

By Anika_Ann_M

After moving to Hell's Kitchen, settling down and somehow winning the sympathy of the Devil, Vera is happy. T... More

Author's notes
Playlist
1) Things you shouldn't ask (for)
2) Of sharing and caring
3) Little piece of our normal
4) Little piece of the acceptable normal
Keep calm and- never mind, just keep calm (Terri)
5) The punch right in (your) face
Bad blood (Matt)
7) Escape from Allentown
8) Make a wish
9) Slice of life
10) Were you careful what you wished for?
How can I see the light... when the darkness is so bright? (Matt)
AKA the P word (Terri)
The circle of lies (Terri)
New day has come (Terri)
11) Cut the ties, tell no lies
12) Hug in a cup
13) The best kind of fire
Coda to Damned
14) The punch-line
Keep On Hoping
15) Strong enough to stand
16) Rarely pure and never simple
17) What we leave behind
18) Invaluable
19) On the line ten stories high
20) Half in the shadows
21) Hard soul to save
22) Through the crowd (...I was crying out)
23) In the eye of the storm
24) The point of breaking
25) Beyond salvation
Of puppies and heart-spilling (Terri)
26) Is it too late? (...to come on home?)
27) Turn off all the lights (...and let the morning come)
The drunken, the angry and the guilty one (Brett)
28) The only solution...
29) ...was to stand and fight
Epilogue
Coda posted
Coda/Sidefic posted
Here's to us
Sequel - book three of Damned

6) Welcome to Allentown

1.9K 52 3
By Anika_Ann_M

"Now, are you gonna tell me how the hell did you get me on the ground?" That sentence started series of quite effective ways how to throw someone off balance - literally. Vera was tired, but what Matt did to her earlier bugged her, and since he was showing her that, he added few more cool, yet relatively easy moves.

"Matt, I'm not doing this to you," she protested when she tried the trick for like tenth time, still refusing to cut out his core and trip him for real.

"Vera, you have to. If you won't actually try it, you'll never learn. You need to let your body, your muscles to remember it."

"I'm not hurting you!"

Small smile on his lips. "You won't," he paused for a second and added: "I did it to you."

Somehow, he ended up lying on the mattress without Vera being aware she did something. Shame was he probably allowed her to do it and didn't put up a fight. It would be more satisfying if he did, but then he probably wouldn't be on his back. Dammit.

They quitted shortly after eleven, Matt changing and graciously walking her home in the Devil's way. Her whole body ached despite not being thrown on the ground multiple times (Matt was; he didn't even flinch, but she was confident we would be sore tomorrow – then again, when he ever wasn't). He stopped by her window, kissing her goodnight and she took quick shower, washing off the sweat and dust they whirled up, falling asleep with her hair dripping water.

In the morning, Vera understood that muscle memory can have a whole different meaning – her body sure remembered. She whined as she was getting up, cursing Matt Murdock while being incredibly grateful to him at the same time. She made it through the morning shift, holding back whimpers though. She hoped it would get better, because otherwise she was never going to survive her course in Allentown.

If she ever learnt something about sore muscles, it was that movement, taken easily, was the best cure – so after clean up at Fogwell's, she did a little exercise, going over what Matt told her last night. To her surprise, he showed up, wearing his Devil of Hell's Kitchen outfit, so she could practise on him, claiming he heard her. She appreciated his gesture big time, carefully asking him if he could show her just a little bit more. He did. He ended up teaching her... taking steps. When she pointed out that she could walk just fine, he laughed, explaining they would add something to those steps when she would come back. He noted he would miss her, then kissed her senseless, freezing out of blue and disappearing as his ears picked up some crime. She worried, alright, but she was leaving the gym smiling goofily nevertheless.

The next morning was even more brutal, but only due to the lack of sleep – her muscles felt more relaxed, possibly ready for any afternoon/evening work out she expected. Terri was a treasure, agreeing to coming to her own shift three hours earlier, so Vera could leave. So at eleven, Vera got on a bus, case, handbag and determination with her, heading hundred miles over. She was ridiculously excited.

The excitement slowly drifted away with each minute in over-heated bus with strong smell of gasoline. Luckily enough, lack of sleep caught up with her and she fell asleep, woken up twice by loud mechanical voice announcing the stop – Newark and Easton. After that, she only snoozed, checking the clock from time to time. Forty minutes later, the bus stopped again, reaching her final destination. Cold air welcomed her and she breathed it in gratefully.

Of course, it took another half an hour to get to the hotel their meeting should take place – it wasn't exactly in the centre of the town, which Vera appreciated – mainly because she checked the prices there. She still had some savings, café salary allowing her to get through without a need to touch them, but she wouldn't want to spend most of it for accommodation. When she entered the hotel, she went straight to the reception desk, only to be directed to seat herself on one of the footstools. Vera found three people already sitting in the area, cases by their side, coats or jackets folded in their laps, all of them cautiously eyeing each other. She gave them an unsure smile, pleasantly surprised two of them reciprocated her gesture. Yet, none of them spoke, rather watching their phone screens – Vera let Terri know she was on spot, remembering she wanted her to do so. Terri was convinced that Vera travelling by bus automatically meant a car accident – Vera tried not to be too offended by her assumption.

She was just considering texting Matt as well, when another woman came in – fit and attractive, blond hair, big eyes, distinctive lipstick. Vera would swear at least two of her accompanies gasped. The guy, she expected, but one of the women, not so much. Huh. The blonde joined them after she was directed to do so by the man at the desk. She gave them a small wave, not speaking either though. The gasping woman stared at her blatantly, eyes wide. Vera wasn't sure what that meant.

Vera decided not to bother Matt, who was probably still at work. In few minutes, a new pair appeared, a man and a woman, both wearing cheerful smiles, making their way to them immediately.

"Hello. Fit-box course anyone?" he offered, blue eyes twinkling, observing them one after another, trying not to linger for too long though, anticipating it might make someone (read Vera, for example) uncomfortable. All of them nodded or hummed in agreement. "Excellent. My name is Jake Dillard, I'm gonna take care of your lessons and this is my friend Delilah Kyles, she's gonna give you more info about everything else. She's gonna help you to check in and whatever. You can nestle, grab a lunch and such things, we'll meet at half past three in a gym. Delilah gives you the address and so on and so on... See ya!" He waved and fleeted. Alright. Talk about ADHD. Vera grinned. This was going to be great.

The brunette woman who was standing by his side flashed them a wide smile. "Hi guys!" And she started talking and talking and talking, gave them several papers, pointed out that in the fitness centre they were going to train was various possibility to attend some other lessons, special prices for the participants, tipped them off for some restaurants and interesting places and talked and talked. Jesus. How did she manage to breathe between her words?

"Alright, that would be all." No way, really? "I'll give you keys to your rooms, it's two beds in each room, we already paired you. If you have any problem with your roomie, let me know, we can arrange some changes, but I'm sure that won't be necessary, right?"

Uh-huh. Vera hoped so.

"First things first, miss Walker, I dared to call you a cab, which would take you to your hotel-"

The blond woman, who came in right before the couple of over-cheerful puppies (and three other people arrived after them, one more guy and two women or rather girls, giggling and apologizing), stood up from her footstool, looking outraged.

"My hotel?" Ms.Walker blurted out, slightly confused and irritated.

Delilah's expression was pure confusion. "Yes. I was told this Inn is below your standards-"

Vera would thing the woman was a little snob, if she didn't seem taken aback and angry. "By whom?"

"Your mana-"

"Just- sorry. Is there any way I can stay here, with others? I don't want to be separated. If it's too much trouble, then I'll leave of course..." she offered, polite and kind, innocent smile on her lips, approaching the other woman. Vera was baffled. Ms.Walker was apparently someone and someone else wanted her to be treated better than she would wish. It kinda gave Vera the impression of a person, who was usually in the spotlight, desperately wanting to be hidden in the shadows for once. Should Vera know who this woman was? Apparently at least some of her accompanies did.

Delilah was all obliging – Vera thought she saw Ms.Walker rolled her eyes at her tone inconspicuously. "Of course. If that's what do you want. For now, one of our participants has room for herself, because another one bailed on us unexpectedly, so... sure. You'll be in room 21. Here," she handed her the keys and Ms.Walker smiled at her gratefully.

"Thank you. Thank you very much. I'm sorry for the trouble, Julia is sometimes just... too eager. So I can head to the room? Who's coming with me?" she looked around, her eyes going wide as the gasping woman (and dammit, Vera needed to learn her name soon, because that was just rude) lighted up like a Christmas tree, eyes hopeful.

"Mmmm, just a minute... miss... uhm. Machackova?" she read hesitantly and Vera jumped at her name. Ms.Walker apparently noticed, because she eyed her with a careful smile.

Vera awkwardly waved and stood up. "Hi."

Pleased by her reaction – or maybe non-reaction? – the blonde smiled, taking few steps to her, extending her hand. "Hi. I'm Patricia, but people just call me Trish."

Vera thought she heard someone behind her whisper Patsy. Trish bit her cheek as she heard it too. Yeah, Vera should probably know who she was. Dammit. She shook her hand, smiling as well. "I'm Veronika. People call me Vera."

They let go. "You look familiar," Trish noted, surprising Vera completely. Huh. She was like ninety-percent sure she never saw this woman in her life. Also, that should probably be Vera's line.

She shrugged awkwardly, expression apologetic. "Sorry. Can't say the same."

But Trish didn't seem to mind – one corner of her lip raised higher, eyes growing bigger. "I think we're gonna get along just fine."

---

Trish was right. Vera only spent two hour with her, accommodating, grabbing lunch in the hotel restaurant (and no, she would not do that mistake again, it sucked), packing up a backpack for the rest of their day, heading to the gym. Vera learned they were both from New York, both from Manhattan, both actually pretty much from Hell's Kitchen and she had to reconsider her certainty about never meeting her. Vera told her she was working at the café, so she might knew her from there – Trish eyed her thoughtfully, shaking her head, no, that's not it, never mind. Trish apparently worked in a radio, having her own show ("I'm sorry...I never...uhm, never heard..." – "It's okay, seriously. You have no idea how liberating this is. Fans are great and everything, but it's refreshing to meet someone who doesn't ask you an autograph before he even says hi.") and was a former child star. Despite that, Vera found out Trish was down-to-earth person and a great company. Her wry, but not necessarily mean comments about food, her kind offer to Vera to choose her bed, her hilarious face expressions – she had a very distinctive mimics – and more details that persuaded her that they would indeed get along just fine.

In the fitness centre they changed, discovering they had one gym for their group, totems standing by the wall for the moment, foam mats in the middle of the room, arranged in a circle. They joined the rest of their classmates (she guessed), surprisingly seeing two other girls they hadn't met before.

Jake - please, call me Jake, not Mr.Dillard or teacher or whatever – wanted them to introduce themselves, tell where they were from, why they came here and add something they would like the others to know about them. Vera was relieved when she found out not all of them were already fitness trainers (experienced in tabata, TRX, jumping, bosu and some stuff she never heard about), gaining their first licence as well as her. Trish openly admitted she was not about to teach and she just wanted to be good at it so she could be training by herself properly. Then they had regular fit-box lesson, Vera sharing totem with Trish (and holy shit that woman was strong), gaining a murderous glare from her diehard gasping supporter – Nancy.

Jake released them early, offering a pub meeting later – Vera went there more to fulfil her duty if anything else, determined to leave early, because she was exhausted. It was nice though, learning more about the people she would spend the next days with.

Thomas was a charmer, real ladies-man, handsome, flirty and humorous, TRX and tabata (and women) obviously being his life. Dylan wasn't exactly his polar opposite, but he was less extrovert, rather a silent type, kind listener – he was one of those who was gaining his first licence, being a sportsman on his own so far. Then there was Nancy, crushing on Patsy, the only fact that was worth remembering. Frankie and Paula came together, best friends since high school, always late and laughing, crazy people really, both aerobic trainers. Jill was a licence collector, healthy food maniac and sports freak. She was local, obviously knowing Jake in person before the course. Lucy lived in Allentown too, actually working in their fitness centre, bosu instructor. Vera liked her, because she only engaged in the conversation when it was on point, not excessively gesturing and laughing affectively to catch attention, smiling rather shyly, unlike some others. Erica and Allison were a little shy too, something that slowly drifted away with alcohol. Trish tried to lay low, not avoiding a short conversation about her childhood and show though – she seemed honestly relieved when they started talking about something else. (Thomas was her saviour, asking her whether she was single – she said no and he continued asking around.) It was about ten when Vera called it a night, gaining weird looks. She gently explained (with red cheeks) that she had morning shift at work, getting up at four thirty, last day off barely remembering when. Trish joined her, supporting her. It was nice.

Arriving at the hotel, she found a text from Matt, asking about her journey and well-being. She smiled goofily, texting him back that everything was pretty much perfect, wishing him good and safe night. The reply beeped immediately, her smile widening. If Trish noticed her expression over the You too, I love you, she wouldn't say a word.

---

The course started at nine, Vera finally getting a proper sleep. Jake kindly explained them he was watching their technique yesterday, giving them general reminders of the right posture and held, each person gaining some advice from him. He complimented them too though and Vera tried not to blush too hard when he pointed out he liked she kept her arms up properly, mentally kicking (and thanking) Matt.

Vera liked the structure of the course – they boxed, they paid attention to the technique, they talked about the attitude and approach to their potentials students/clients. They focused on work out too, strengthening particular muscles groups (Vera once corrected Jake when he misnamed a muscle – it was a reflex – and she was ashamed the moment it left her mouth – Jake took it as a champ and they both tried their best to ignore the raised eyebrows of the others). Early evening, they stretched out properly, something Vera was endlessly grateful for and got time to explore the city. Discovering there was an Aikido class after them in the room, Vera stayed, asking the lecturer whether she could watch – she had no problem with it, persuading her to join in fact, since they were beginners. (Trish was interested as well, until she found out exactly that, refusing, since she already had some knowledge from her personal trainer.) She got to know why Matt tried to teach her walk, astonished. Heidi – the lecturer – was really kind and enthusiastic, supporting her (and everyone else's) attempts, praising a good work, gently correcting the wrong ones. Seeing her, Vera knew she would like to be that kind of a teacher.

She arrived at hotel late, after quick dinner at the corner diner, tired and satisfied she learned a lot of new thighs that day.

Friday was a crisis. After yesterday, her body protested with each movement, calling out for more rest. Vera was relieved they mostly focused on a warm up and lesson organization, afternoon actually playful as Jake offered them multiple ways of spicing the lesson so it wouldn't become stereotypical after a while. He also informed them how he imagined the examining – each person would get some part of a lesson (the main block divided according to muscles groups the exercise would be focused on), showing him individually. To make sure everyone would create at least partially his own choreography, they would draw lots on both the part of a lesson and the song after Saturday lunch, having one hour to prepare (which was more than necessary according to Jake). He added that after the said hour, they would return to their regular lesson and performed Saturday evening. Vera sensed something fishy about that, but kept her mouth shut.

They quitted early, getting more time for themselves. Vera hit the city with Trish (meeting only two people who wanted the signature, which Vera found pretty impressive, given the fact Trish Talk wasn't broadcasted outside New York – it had to be the child star thing), their ways separating as Vera wanted to attend another lesson with Heidi – she smiled widely as she saw her new temporary student, welcoming her warmly.

Vera returned to her hotel, staying in the hall, trying to reach Matt, hoping he wouldn't be out already. Vain effort. She gave up after five minutes, leaving him a text not to worry, that she only wanted to talk to him with no real reason. She asked him to let her know he was okay though.

Entering her room, she found Trish on a phone as well, a glass of white wine in her hand, rolling her eyes at someone on the other end of the line, lecturing the person about his/her drinking problem. Vera settled at her, because Trish said Jess multiple times before Vera disappeared to the bathroom – only then she snorted at the fact her blond roommate lectured someone while drinking on her own.

---

Vera found Matt's text in the morning. He apologized for not being available when she tried to reach him, reassuring her he was fine and expressing hope she was having a good time in Allentown. Vera did not freak out over the fact his I miss you though was followed by a kissing emoticon. Matt never used emoticons. For him, colon was a colon (not eyes), hyphen was just a hyphen (not nose) and an asterisk or a parenthesis definitely didn't stand for mouth. Sadly, if something was wrong, she had no way to find out before she reached him or came back to Hell's Kitchen. Determined to call him in their lunchtime (not wanting to wake him up, since he texted her at five a.m., šmarja), she focused on her lessons. It wasn't like would be able to help him.

-----Notes:
I have too many things that desperately need my attention. So you know, here's another chapter :D
P.S. - You know something's wrong when Matt sends an emoticon. Promise you'll see inthe next chapter; intermezzo is comingright up and I'm ridiculously excited about it :)    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 54 37
Jane Cayce has had a lot on her mind recently, which is hard because she has to have everyone else's thoughts on her mind too. After helping to bring...
3.1K 90 4
Matt Murdock is a man on a mission. It has nothing to do with him being Daredevil (maybe just a little), yet it's possibly the scariest thing he ever...
253 11 7
You were a woman who has very few people in your life. You have no real friends and only have your brother and aunt. You don't even have a pet for co...
11.1K 366 19
The Flash is recovering after Zoom's attack (the events of 2x06 Enter Zoom). What's better than a trip to New York City with his friends to remind hi...