His to Love (His #3)

By bourbonvanilla

*You do not have to read the first two books in order to understand this one* I believe true love happens... More

Part I.
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Part II.
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Epilogue

Chapter 47

41.7K 1.4K 316
By bourbonvanilla

Two days later, I get invited for drinks by my new co-worker. He's been walking around me for days now, but he hasn't actually asked me out yet until today. And I agree. I'm single, so why not?

And Brian is actually very nice and he's cute. Not that manly handsome like Damien for example, but still handsome, just not in that rough way that makes you instantly notice him.

Damien wanted to do something tonight, but I told him I'm actually going on a date. I don't want to hide it from him, even though I'd have nothing to hide since we're not in any kind of relationship other than friendship.

And Brian is really nice on our date, he's polite at first, but I get him to loosen up a bit so he's not afraid of saying something wrong anymore and he gets more in his element.

But Damien is being an annoying asshole and he keeps calling and texting me. He knows I'm on a date, I even sent him a text message saying, I'M ON A DATE, STOP, but he kept calling and texting.

"Boyfriend?" Brian guesses, eyeing the phone when I turn it off because it wouldn't stop vibrating otherwise.

I chuckle. "No," I reassure him. "Nothing like that, just an annoying friend." I put the phone into my bag and give all of my attention to Brian. "So, about your cooking passion, you should definitely cook something for me the next time."

Brian winks. "It's a date," he flirts.

I push a lock of my hair behind my ear. "Aren't you straightforward?" I tease.

Brian laughs lightly. "You're a beautiful woman, Brooke, I have to step up my game if I don't want any other man stealing you before I could get a chance."

I bite my lip and ignore the tightening in my chest. I knew this was more to spite Damien and try to get a reaction out of him, but I also wanted to see if I could feel at least some bit of attraction for someone else since Damien is not looking for a relationship anyway.

I succeeded at getting Damien's attention, but I didn't succeed at feeling any kind of attraction towards Brian. He's such a nice guy and I'm starting to hate myself. I couldn't forget Damien with Aaron, why would I do it with someone completely new when Damien is back and I get a look at his gorgeous face every day.

"And a flattering man, too. Luck really is on my side tonight," I flirt back, although I'm not really feeling it. I'm so stupid for doing this again. I knew this would happen, but I was still stubborn to try again.

Brian doesn't deserve this. This is a bitchy thing to do, going on with someone for a revenge because you're hurt because of someone else. But this is Brooke Campbell style. I did it before and now I'm doing it again. God, I'm shallow.

I take a big sip of the wine in front of me and hate myself in silence. "A woman like you should never forget how beautiful she is."

"And let me guess; you're here to make sure of that?" I joke.

Brian shrugs. "If you'll let me."

And it's that easy. It would be that easy to say yes and see where it takes us. But I already know it'd take us nowhere. Not because of him, but because of me. Because I'm a moron who can't stop loving a guy who does nothing but screw with my head.

Isn't life beautiful?

And it gets even more wonderful when I see the man I can't keep out of my thoughts hastily approaching us. "Oh, no," slips past my mouth and I straighten my spine, waiting for the hurricane. "What the fuck are you doing here?" I hiss at Damien, regretting that I told him where I'm going. I should know he had some utter motive.

"We're not doing this," Damien says, looking straight at me.

I'm confused. "Uh, doing what exactly?"

"Going out with other people to ignore feelings we have for each other."

"Are you high, Knox? What feelings? We're friends, friends can go out with other people." I take a sip of my wine, feigning nonchalance.

"Drop the act, Brooke," Damien demands, eyeing Brian and curling his lip in disgust. I see Brian is confused and also amused by our interaction. I'm mostly annoyed with Damien showing up and ruining this for me.

"You're such a drama queen, Jesus Christ. Get your mind straight, Damien, I'm done playing these games. You came back after three years, you didn't expect I'm going to wait for you my whole life and hope you change your mind about dating? Goddamn, some of you men are so fucking stupid it's unbelievable."

Damien shakes his head. "Yes, well, stupid or not, we both know what you're trying to do and we also both know it's not going to work."

"Oh, cut the crap!" I throw my head back and look up at the ceiling. My eyes roll back in my head in exasperation.

Damien touches my arm and I quickly move it away. "Oh, buddy, don't you even dare," I warn him, eyeing his hand as if it's poisonous.

"Come on Brooke, kindly tell this man goodbye and let's go."

I look at him as if he's completely lost his mind. "You're not my father. And - would you look at that!" I look down at my hand and then wiggle it in front of his face. "No ring, either!"

Something flashes over Damien's face. "We can change that. Come on, now."

I bat my eyelashes. "What? Are you going to adopt me" I ask flirtatiously.

Damien's face scrunches up. "No, I'm going to put a ring on your finger. Now, if you'll excuse us, Brian, I'm sure Brooke thinks it was very nice to meet you, but she can't give you her whole heart."

"Hey, speak for yourself, asshole! And let me talk and stop putting words in my mouth. I'm still here," I wave my hand in front of his face.

Brian stays quiet through the whole encounter and I bet he's regretting inviting me out now. He probably thinks I'm crazy.

"You know, I have a suggestion. Go back where you came from and park your ass there. And everyone can proceed to have this amazing evening you interrupted."

Damien snorts. "You know how much I love your sarcasm, but it's not funny right now."

"Liar, I'm always funny," I click my tongue. "Right, Brian?" I ask with an innocent head tilt.

Brian answers with lifting his glass in a toast to me, forcing a smile on his lips.

Damien stands next to me, his stance wide and his arms crossed over his powerful chest. He looks delicious in trousers, a dress shirt and a vest. Yum. He's dressed like a first-class gentleman, yet acts worse than a low-class jerk.

"Well, can we go? Talk somewhere in private?" Damien grits out, on the verge of losing it. He's gripping his my chair.

"I'm on a date, Damien," I say slowly. I still don't know what reason he had to come here and ruin this for me. I could ruin it by myself just fine, I didn't need his help.

"You serious about this?"

"If I wasn't, I wouldn't go," I say calmly. Our faces are so close ... when the hell did they get so close? Damien exhales. "Also, I'm fucking mad at you right now so I suggest you don't come near me again. What you did tonight is disgusting and so self-centered. Stop thinking about your ass non-stop only." I dismiss him by turning around on the chair.

"Brooke. Come on, I was jealous," his tone turns to pensive and begging now. He knows he fucked up. Again. And this will not help me forgive him.

I look at him over my shoulder. "If you don't leave, I'm taking Brian to my place. And I'll fuck him. For the whole night."

Damien's face pales a little and he retreats, his head snapping back as if I slapped him. He thrusts his hands in his hair, making it a mess, obviously not knowing what to do. He's fighting an inner battle, but he makes the right choice when he turns on the heel and stumbles out of the bar.

My blood is boiling. How dare he show up here when he knows I'm out on a date? That's such a selfish thing to do. He doesn't want a relationship with me and he doesn't want me to have a relationship with someone else. That's so hypocritical and wrong on so many levels.

But I'm not putting up with that. Just because I'm a woman, I'm not letting him think I'll oblige him and do everything he says. And I'll especially not wait for him to decide whatever he wants.

Although he keeps contradicting himself, hinting that he wants to be with me one time and that he wants me to meet his parents, and then telling me he doesn't want a relationship. What the hell do you want then?!

Anyway ... "I'm sorry for that. That was ... someone I know and someone who's, apparently, trying to get me mad."

"Or someone who's trying to get you back," Brian adds.

I laugh. "Or someone who's being a bitch and doesn't know what he wants and just needs to control someone because other women left him."

"You sound mad about something," Brian observes.

"I am mad!" I almost shout. "I love that man and he's using me!" I've never admitted my feelings for him out loud. I haven't even told the closest people and I'm not telling this to someone I barely know.

"Tell him that, then," Brian offers softly.

I sag against the chair. "It's not that easy," I say quietly. "This date is such a disaster, I'm so sorry. You deserve so much better than a mess like me."

"It's certainly not what I've expected, but it's a nice change from those traditional dates." Brian winks.

I slightly blush and fidget in my seat. I'm really embarrassed Brian had to see this mess. "Yeah, I'm still sorry. I didn't expect this would happen."

"Really?" Brian asks as he slowly stands up. "I think you should sort out with him first. It's obvious you both still have unfinished business between you and I'm not going to be the one standing between you two. Call me if it doesn't work between you two." Brian kisses my cheek. "You're a great woman, Brooke."

I give Brian a soft, yet sad smile. "Thank you, Brian. I hope you find another woman whose life isn't such a mess."

Brian chuckles. "Your life isn't a mess, Brooke, you're just making it that way. Go talk to that man and sort the things out, he seems like a guy who really likes you."

I hang my head, circling the glass with my finger. I get an urge to cry because of how screwed up my life became because of Damien.

I go out and take a long walk. I don't want to go home, I really need to clear my head.

I walk around for hours, trying to get rid of the anger inside of me. Anger for Damien and for myself. Anger for falling in love with one man who can't love me back. Or won't love me.

It's pretty late when I come back and when I hear shouting in front of my flat, I just want to turn around and go back out in the cold, especially when I hear Damien's voice.

"She's not here, Damien. I didn't see her today yet," I hear Rory patiently talking to him.

"Well, where the fuck is she then? She's not picking up her goddamn phone!" Damien says in pure frustration.

I take a deep breath and quietly walk up the stairs.

"I think I have a good reason for that, you twat," I say, causing Damien to swiftly turn around, which makes him stumble.

"Babe," he breathes out and I can hear a smile along with relief in his voice.

I huff, climbing the stairs to get closer to Rory and Damien. "Not even close." When I stand in front of him, my nose scrunches up at the unmistakable disgusting smell of alcohol."'You're drunk," I point out flatly.

"And you're gorgeous," Damien shoots back instantly.

My heart stops in my chest for a moment before it speeds up.

I roll my eyes, not giving in. "Go home, Damien. You're drunk."

He takes a step closer to me. "I need to talk to you," Damien says.

I let out a long sigh, tired of this shit. "No, what you need to do is go home and sober up. Besides, I don't want to talk to you right now."

Damien steps even closer to me, trying to put his hand on my cheek, but I step back, dodging his touch. "And that's exactly why I need to talk to you," Damien insists, ignoring my rejection completely.

I go around and step into the flat. Rory makes a room for me, stepping back. "Well, I don't share that opinion." I smile icily. "Goodnight, Damien." And I slam the door in his face.

Only 2 more chapters + epilogue left!! 

You're welcome to check out my new book of *short* poems if you'd like 🤗. It's on my page :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

196K 7.4K 31
[Book 2 in the Secret series] "That's not what I meant..." I chew on my lip. "Well, what the fuck did you mean then?" He shouts. "When I'm there I d...
9.9K 1.6K 42
- Somebody stole my car radio So now I just sit in silence. -Completed 11/8/16 -{Highest Rank: #28} You know, it's pretty f...
1.2M 26.3K 99
Lia I'm a sucker for romance, especially romance in novels because let's be honest, love like that doesn't exist in reality. Yet, he makes me feel a...
2.4K 16 45
{Completed} ==================================== "I'm scared Will." She whispered while looking up at the stars. "Of what?" I asked and turned to loo...