Arising From the Fall [4] (Th...

By Turtlii

Donna Noble is back to her everyday life and Rose Tyler was found, now in the parallel world with the other D... More

Arising From the Fall
The Next Doctor
The Next Doctor - Two
A Time Lords Wedding
A Time Lords Wedding - Two
Planet of the Dead
Planet of the Dead - Two
Planet of the Dead - Three
Welcome to Maradoorado!
The Waters of Mars
The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith
The End of Time, Part One
The End of Time, Part One - Two
The End of Time, Part Two
The End of Time, Part Two - Two

The Waters of Mars - Two

1K 58 2
By Turtlii

Adelaide handed the Doctor and the Stone their spacesuits after they returned to the central dome. "Now get to your ship." She ordered them. "I'm saving my people, you save yourselves. I know what this moment is. It's the moment we escape. Now get out." She instructed.

The Time Lords, however, didn't budge as the crew began to rush around trying to get everything together to leave. "Everyone, stay focused." Ed reminded them.

"I'll swap them round. Roman, what about you?" Mia called. The Doctor and the Stone clutched each other's hands with the spare not holding their spacesuit helmets.

"Protein packs thirty to thirty-six."

"Hurry up, Roman," Ed called to the man mumbling.

Suddenly they all stopped as an alarm sounded. "Ditch the central containers. We don't need them." Adelaide informed.

"Units forty-one, forty-two and forty-three." Steffi called.

"Unit forty-one is here."

"Roman, try to condense the oxygen membranes. We can lose ten pounds. Faster, come on! Ed, how's the fuel jets?"

"Cooling down in about thirty seconds." He replied to Adelaide.

"Captain, we've got all the hard drives."

"What the hell's that noise?" She asked stopping. "Mia, you lot, shut up."

"It's the module sensors," Ed answered. "Exterior twelve. The cameras are down, but there's pressure on top of the module. Two signals right above us."

"That means they're on the roof?"

Yuri frowned. "How did they get inside the Dome?"

"They used the maintenance shafts."

"The shaft's open and they haven't got spacesuits."

"They breathe water," Ed muttered in realisation.

"But they'd freeze." Steffi shook his head.

"They've got that internal fission."

"But we're safe, they can't get through, can they?" Mia worryingly asked. "Can they?"

"This place is airtight," Roman informed.

"Can it get through?" She asked. "Ed, can it get through?"

"I don't know!" He snapped at her. "Water itself isn't motile, but it has some sort of persistence."

"Everyone, listen to me," Adelaide shouted. "That's ten feet of steel-combination up there. We need all the protein packs or we're going to starve. Now keep working. Roman, watch the ceiling. Ed, get to the shuttle. Fire it up."

"I can carry more than this lot, Captain."

"That's an order!" She loudly hissed at him.

"Captain." He nodded then hurried off.

The Doctor and the Stone stood there for a while longer before she gently tugged on his arm, her eyes wetter than normal and her head hung. Slowly he nodded and they both turned to leave entering the airlock.

Access denied. The computer stated when the Doctor tried to open the other door of the airlock. Access denied.

"Tell me what happens." Adelaide coldly muttered to them both.

"We don't know." The Stone spoke up desperately hiding her sadness.

"Yes, you do." Adelaide firmly cut in. "Now tell me." She demanded.

"You should be with the others." She protested against it as the Doctor stared into the distance in thought.

"Tell me!" She shouted before taking a breath. "I could ramp up the pressure in that airlock and crush you both."

The Doctors eyes flicked to her on the monitor. "Except you won't. You could have shot Andy Stone, but you didn't. I loved you for that. Imagine, imagine you knew something. Imagine you found yourself somewhere. I don't know, Pompeii." The Stone looked at him startled. Of course, she thought of that adventure once or twice while they were here but she never expected the Doctor to bring it up. "Imagine you were in Pompeii."

"Doctor please." She begged.

"What the hell's that got to do with it?" Adelaide hissed at him.

"And you tried to save them. But in doing so, you make it happen. Anything I do just makes it happen."

"Doctor." The Stone looked at him. "Now you know it isn't just you sweetheart, I do that as well. I was with you." She said trying to desperately help him because she knew what was happening. She had seen it before, only once and she couldn't bear seeing it again not with him.

There was a short pause before Adelaide spoke up again after they faintly heard Steffi. "I'm still here."

"You're taking Action One. There are four more standard action procedures."

"Doctor." She now hissed. "Don't do this please."

He swallowed looking at the Time Lady then back at the wall daring to not look at her, not with what he planned to say. "And Action Five is?"

"Detonation."

"The final option. The nuclear device at the heart of the Central Dome. Today, on the twenty-first of November 2059, Captain Brooke activates that device, taking the base and all her crew members with her. No one ever knows why. But you were saving Earth. That's what inspires your granddaughter. She takes your people out into the galaxy because you die on Mars. You die today. She flies out there like she's trying to meet you." The Stone started to pace around running a hand through her hair mumbling words no Time Lord should hear. Ever.

"I won't die." Adelaide denied. "I will not."

"But your death creates the future-"

"Help me." She begged. "Why won't you help, Doctor? Stone?" She asked. "If you know all of this, why can't you change it?"

"We can't." He said.

"Why can't you find a way? You could tell me, I don't know-"

"I'm sorry, but we can't. Sometimes we can, sometimes we do. Most times we can save someone or anyone. But not you. You wondered all your life why that Dalek spared you. I think it knew. Your death is fixed in time forever. And that's right."

"Doctor!" The Time Lady shouted her fists clenched. "Please." She looked at him her eyes hurting. "Please just stop."

"You'll die here too," Adelaide said to the Doctor.

"No." Was all he replied with.

"What's going to save you?"

"Captain Adelaide Brooke."

She then released the airlock. "Damn you."

The Time Lords exited the airlock the Stone not even looking at the Doctor. She was angry that he did that. He told her that she died today. After being told that her own foreknowledge when she was human was dangerous and then he did this!

"Water!" They heard Roman scream. "We've got water!"

"Captain! Get back!" Mia cried. "Get back! Captain! Don't touch it, Roman. Get back. Get back."

"Everyone, we're abandoning this section. Get to the shuttle. Yuri, lead the way. Section B corridor, now."

"Get that, and that."

"Close it!" Adelaide shouted.

"Yuri, did that water touch you?"

"I'm safe"

"Did it touch you?" Steffi asked staring at him.

"Yuri, did that water touch you?"

"I'm clean. I'm dry."

"Everyone section B is out."

"But we can get.-"

"Listen to me," Adelaide demanded.

"Take every pack that you can. We'll go round. We'll make our way out through Section F."

"Transferring oxygenation to Section F. Mia you take the redline stock. And hurry up!" She shouted.

"Steffi, come!"

"Steffi, get back!" Mia screamed. The Time Lady winced knowing what was most likely happening, someone was going to do. She looked at the Doctor who could see her pain and grabbed her hand softly squeezing. He didn't care if she was angry at him, she didn't deserve to go through this alone.

"Steffi, keep back."

"Get back!" Yuri demanded.

"Steffi!"

"Get back, Steffi!"

The Stone squeezed her eyes shut. She wished to help she really wanted to. Blocking out the rest of the screaming and shouting she slowly walked away from the Dome with the Doctor.

She opened her eyes again hearing Ed knowing he was on the shuttle and could easily destroy the ship. "Compromised. It was Maggie."

"Get out of there!" Adelaide screamed.

"Too late.They want this ship to get to Earth. Got no choice. Hated it, Adelaide. This bloody job. Argh. You never gave me a chance. You never could forgive me." He muttered sounding in complete pain.

"See you later."

The explosion then started throwing both Time Lords off their feet and into the red ground of mars.

"We're losing oxygen!" Yuri cried.

"The hull is broken!"

The Doctor gritted his teeth and started to slowly push himself up. The Stone looked at him seeing what he was looking at and shook her head at him. "Doctor." She warned. "Don't."

"We're the last." He looked at her standing up. "There's no one else whose to stop us from doing this?" He asked as her eyes widened in horror as she slowly stepped away from him. This was where she couldn't do anything he had to see for himself and she hoped with both her hearts that he would realise what he was doing was a big mistake. "Stone there is no one but us. We can do this."

"It's a fixed point!" She shouted at him deeply breathing. "This is why only Time Lords should travel in time! To stop things like this from happening. Doctor, there were rules for a reason rules-"

"Rules?" He scoffed. "Since when have you listened to the rules?"

"I may not agree and follow the rules just like you but this is one rule we cannot break. We took an oath we both swore to never break it. We promised-"

"Who did we promise?" He asked. After gaining no answer he asked again. "Who did we promise?"

"The high council."

"And where are they?" He questioned. "The high council is dead!" He then shouted making the Time Lady flinch. They had many arguments before but he had never shouted at her like that.

"I'm going back to the TARDIS." She finally said not looking at him. "You do what you want Doctor but I swear if you don't come back in under twenty minutes I will personally come back and drag you out yourself before you get yourself killed."

"You're letting me go?" He blinked at her.

"If I have to treat you the way I treated the Master when this happened to him then so be it." She coldly replied.

"The Master?" He blinked.

"He tried to steal my TARDIS once, tried to stop an event, something in a fixed point, eventually I was forced to let him do it. Sometimes I wonder if it was that which made him mad." She remarked before turning away and heading back to the Time Machine not saying another word as the Doctor stared at her.

---------------------------------------------------------

The Stone shortly saw the TARDIS and walked up to it placing her key inside the door and stepping inside. Slowly she walked up to the console and let her hand run across it as the TARDIS let out a low hum making the blonde laugh. "When isn't he?" She remarked then slowly nodded. "I only hope he will learn from this. I'm worried though. I don't want what happened to my cousin to happen to him." She said as the TARDIS replied in another hum sounding more hostile. "Yes, the Master. No he isn't going to make you a Paradox machine again." She chuckled.

She slumped into the jump seat and continued to mutter to herself and the TARDIS for a while before hearing the door of the TARDIS unlock and open. "Doctor?" she raised a brow peering around the rotor before seeing nothing in sight.

"Gadget gadget."

"Ah." She nodded looking down at the robot. "You're stuck there aren't you?"

"Gadget gadget."

"You better know what your doing Doctor." She shook her head before running around the TARDIS pressing buttons and pulling a lever.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Doctor walked out of the TARDIS first followed by the startled and confused humans before the Time Lady slowly walked out shutting the door behind her crossing her arms looking at the row of houses as the snow fell.

"Isn't anyone going to thank me?" He asked turning around.

"Doctor. Stop." She hissed narrowing her eyes at him. Gadget then rolled out shutting down.

"He's lost his signal." The Doctor said "Doesn't know where he is."

Adelaide blinked. "That's my house." She stared in shock.

"Don't you get it?" The Doctor asked the three humans. "This is the twenty-first of November 2059. It's the same day on Earth. And it's snowing." He beamed. "I love snow. Stone you love snow." He looked over at her.

"What is that thing?" Mia spoke up much to the Time Lady's joy. If she had to reply to him a long string of swear words in 3 different languages would come pouring out of her mouth. "It's bigger. I mean, it's bigger on the inside." She gawked then stared at the Doctor. "Who the hell are you?" She then ran off in the other direction out of pure terror.

"Look after her." Adelaide looked at Yuri who nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

He then followed Mia as Adelaide turned to the Doctor. "You saved us."

"Just think though. Your daughter, and your daughter's daughter, you can see them again. Family reunion." He started to smile as the Stone slowly stepped forward her whole body aching to slap him right around the face.

"But I'm supposed to be dead."

"Not anymore."

"But Susie, my granddaughter. The person she's supposed to become might never exist now."

"Nah! Captain Adelaide can inspire her face to face." He shrugged. "Different details, but the story's the same."

"You can't know that." Adelaide moved forward. "And if my family changes, the whole of history could change. The future of the human race. No-one should have that much power."

"Tough." He coldly replied.

"You should have left us there."

"Adelaide, I've done this sort of thing before. In small ways, saved some little people, but never someone as important as you. Oh, I'm good." He beamed before the Stone growled hitting him right on the cheek. If Rose had taught her anything when she knew the woman it was how to give a firm slap on the face.

"Stop it!" She shouted. "You have got to stop!"

"Little people?" Adelaide blinked at him. Making the Doctor focus back on the woman biting the inside cheek at the pain on his opposite cheek. "What, like Mia and Yuri? Who decides they're so unimportant? You?"

"For a long time now, I thought I was just a survivor, but I'm not. I'm the winner. That's who I am. The Time Lord Victorious."

"Can't you stop him?" Adelaide turned to the Stone.

"I tried and he won't listen." She replied looking at the woman sadly. "I'm sorry, really I'm sorry but he can only help himself now."

"This is wrong, Doctor." Adelaide firmly told him. "I don't care who you are. The Time Lord Victorious is wrong."

"That's for me to decide." He coldly stated. "Now, you'd better get home. Oh, it's all locked up. You've been away. Still, that's easy." He shrugged pointing his sonic at the front door which unlocked then slowly opened. "All yours."

"Is there nothing you can't do?"

"Not anymore." He replied. The Doctor then turned away to find the Stone already beside the TARDIS glaring at him.

"I hope your happy Doctor." She growled at him. "I hope you can see now."

Suddenly there was a gunshot making the Doctor turn around. The Stone winced touching her head in slight pain seeing the timelines change. The Doctors eyes widen as he turned around going to put an arm around her. "Don't touch me!" She screamed hitting him away. The Doctor staggered back eyes wide, he hurt her, the one person who he wanted to never ever hurt in the universe and he hurt her, made her scared of him. Shaking slightly the Doctor turned seeing Ood Stigma stood there.

"I've gone too far." He mumbled tears in his eyes. "Is this it? My death? Is it time?" He fell to his kneels then looked at where the ood was standing that had now disappeared.

"And now you know." The Stone looked at him grimly. "Now you know why we can't mess with fixed points." She said in the softest voice he had heard since they found the base. "I can't help you at this moment Doctor, you can only help yourself. Find me in the library later and I will be happy to help you, sweetheart, I promise." She then walked inside the TARDIS heading to the library to read and try and forget about what happened.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.2K 2K 21
(ORIGINAL VERSION) For a girl who's lived a normal life on Earth for years, is she ready to see the universe from a different perspective? *** Willow...
1.5K 45 21
Stranded alone after the Last Great Time War. Alone with the grief and guilt. One hundred years alone on Earth, forced to become like everyone else...
39.2K 2.1K 24
~Book 1 in TenRose "Journeys" 2 part fanfiction. (The Slow Path ~ Long Way 'Round) Rose is not happy at all when the Doctor left her for 5 hours on a...
44K 1K 30
(ORIGINAL VERSION) If she wishes for the truth, is she willing to lose everything? *** Willow has travelled with the Doctor and Rose for a year and h...