The Devils Backbone

By Skipology

Fanfiction based on the History Channels Hatfields and McCoys. [Book is a rough draft - needs heavy editing] ... More

CAST: The Hatfield Clan
CAST: The McCoy Clan
SOUNDTRACK
Across the River
Looming Airs
Timber
Blacker Berries
Cotton's Soup
Rain Water
Ominous
Hogswagglers Jury
Chores to Do
Election Day
Rose on the Doorstep
Too Far Gone
Counting Seconds
The Shack
Up to the Timber
Untitled Blooms
Pikeville
Close
Was There Peace in the Valley
Chill Down the Spine
Hammer and Nails
As Blood Sets the Table
Unease
In the Dark
Like Rain in the Sky
One Crossed the River
Lambs Last Mercy
Blood Toucheth Blood
Ever On
Trouble with Peace
Autumn Rain
Fire Starters
Laughter in the Dark
A Call to the Wilds
Schemes
Comes A Knocking
Angels
Changing Winds
The Begining
Smoke Before The Blaze
Regrouping
How Deep the Water Runs
A Cabin in the Hills
High Alert
Heat the Frying Pan
Day in the Life
A Wild Ride
No Bells A Ringin'
For Want of a Nail
Killing Season
The Things You Sew
Start of a Charge
New Faces
The First Night
Battlezones
The Pine Box
When All Goes Right
Now's About Time
A Snake in the Roses
Quiet Thunder
The Color of Blood
Plans
Where the Apricots Grow
The Gut You Trust
Road to New York
At Ease
Something New
Adder in the Garden
Fibs and Folly
The Dream Deferred
The Get Away
The Way Back
The Nerve
Mother May I
Daddy Dearest
Quiet Gatherings
Good Bad Spine
Sundance
Rock Bottom
Cold Dark Morning
Lost and Found
From The Pit
Winter's Sigh
A Wing to Mend
Two Came Knocking
Hard Luck, Shared Blood
For the Better?
A Merry Secret
An Unclever Ruse

Irregular

2.1K 146 62
By Skipology

Chyna wiped her forehead and sighed in content. She and Cotton were both getting a bit better than the day before.

She lead Cotton to a large stump and unwrapped the lunch she had made for them.

On queue, down the hill like two hungry strays came Cap and Skunk Hair eyeballing the food being unwrapped.

"come on there's enough for the both of ya. Is the least I can do" Chyna said. Reaching into the basket she pulled out another cloth wrapping and handed it to Skunk Hair. Cap on the other hand just reached in for his.

"best cookin on earth, right here" Cap boasted settling down to eat. A long smile stretched across his face.

"don't let aunt Levicy hear you Cap" Cotton warned.

Skunk Hair chuckled and mumbled something about how long its been since he had home cooked food.

"Chyna pays for herself don't she" Skunk Hair said clearly.

Chyna laughed and shook her head.

Out of the corner of her eyes she could spot Jim, French, and some other workers watching them in disdain.

Chyna turned her eyes away and looked down at her hands feeding herself a cheese biscuit.

"you feelin alright? " Cap asked her, she was doing it again, slipping down smaller by the second.

Looking around Cap found the cause and rolled his eye "you shouldn't be afraid of them" he said.

Chyna looked up at Cap with a perplexed expression "it ain't all of them. Just Jim. He's your uncle Cap you gotta know...he's a killer" Chyna whispered.

At the end of the work day, Cap and Skunk Hair were headed for town and Jim invited himself.

Chyna looked all about, this had been the second day she'd not seen Johnsey at work. It'd been a few days now. And one thing she'd learned was bad things come to all when Johnsey goes missing.

"Say Cotton, why don't you come down with us to the saloon. You're ol'nough now boy to come on down. " Jim said.

Cotton looked to Chyna "I ain't seen much of Chyna lately... I wanna stay out here with her at Skunk Hair's" Cotton said.

Jim frowned " you gotta spend some time with your kin, I know yous soft headed boy but you gotta know that ain't your kin" said Jim with calm venom.

Chyna flinched and Cotton frowned "sure we are - Cap says, he says that folk don't have to be blood to be kin" Cotton said.

Jim turned to look at Cap with a sleepy glare "well ain't that just fine and dandy" Jim said sarcastically. "that eye injury must messed with your head too " said Jim with a chuckle.

Cap rolled his eyes at Jim with a sharp edge of just a hint of warning. Jim clicked his tongue in disapproval as Cap turned his attention to Chyna, who was still looking around.

"well what do you say to town?" Cap asked her.

Chyna looked up at him and smiled a bit "I could always sit down at The Shanty" she said her eyes shinning with a bit of excitement.

Cap chuckled "why don't you just sit with us in the Saloon? " he asked.

Chyna looked down "well... It's nice ya know being allowed through the front door, and being able to talk to folks - openly" said Chyna.

Cap nodded "ok so then I'll jus come with you " he said.

Chyna laughed "they won't let you set foot back in that place."

Cap frowned.

Cotton tapped Chyna's shoulder "what about me, I wanna go too" he asked hopefully.

"you, Cotton I think they'll take a bit more kindly to you" Chyna said patting his head with a smile.

Cotton beamed at her "the boys not goin" Jim barked.

"shut up Uncle Jim" Cap shot.

"fine, I'll stay away this time but Cotton you watch out for her" said Cap.

By the time they got into town the sun was softly setting. The little town was sleepy with weary workers looking to have a good time at the end of the day.

"you send Cotton for me if anybody gives you any trouble " Cap said to Chyna as they stood together in the middle of town.

"right, I will, stop worryin Cap" Chyna laughed. But Cap wasn't amused.

"you sure you don't want me to-"

"come on! " Jim shouted to Cap from the Saloon.

Interrupted and defeated Cap sighed "alright, you two have fun" he muttered before unwillingly turning his back and walking away.

Cotton watched Cap walk away as Chyna lead giving the opposite direction "I think he really wanted to come Chyna " Cotton muttered.

Inside The Shanty music filled the air and conversation bounced from wall to wall.

Upon walking in the smoke heavy building a smile lighted on Chyna's face.

"well come on in! Don't be shy child!" Iris shouted with a wide grin, waving Chyna in.

"come on Cotton" Chyna said taking his hand to guide him safely through the crowded place.

"it smells tasty in here, wonder what's cookin" Cotton said with glimmering eyes. Chyna chuckled.

"we'll ask miss Iris what's on, alright? " Chyna said with a wide smile.

Chyna and Cotton took a table in the back, she wanted to have eyes on the men who seemed less than thrilled at Cottons presence.

Before long Iris arrived at their table with a smile. "welcome back, was sure them boys had run you off for good" she said.

Chyna smiled "I've been around scarier trust to know it." said Chyna. Iris sized up Cotton "yeah... It's another one, he is Cap's - the young man before - his cousin." Chyna said carefully as she reached out and ruffled Cottons hair.

"they call me Cotton, it's nice to meet you Miss Iris" he said.

Iris chuckled silently to herself "I see" she whispered. "pleasures all mine, now what can I getcha" she said.

Cotton beamed "can I please have whatever smells so good? " he asked quickly. Chyna shook her head.

"coming right up" Iris said. And in a near blimp she was gone again.

Cotton watched her zip away amazed "she sure is fast ain't she? " he asked.

Chyna nodded "very first legs so short, wish I could move like that" Chyna admitted.

Meanwhile, Cap was throwing them back at the saloon. Jim seemed very amused with the this.

"think you might wanna slow down on those Cap" Skunkhair advised taking a seat across the table from him.

Cap glanced up briefly before gazing into his glass with a frown.

"can't " he sighed, tilting his head back as he swallowed all the burning liquid down in one go.

"they'll be fine, Chyna'd face a bear if came for Cotton." Skunkhair said with a chuckle, watching as Cap poured some more whiskey into his glass.

Cap gave a skeptical hum raising his glass up to his lips, "yeah, an' if the bear comes for her? " he shot before downing the glass.

Setting down the glass, Cap watched Skunkhair who fell silent. "she's jus down the way - if anything goes sour, it's a short run. Besides she is with her own, ain't nothing can happen. Hell - she's safer there than with -"

Cap slammed down his raised glass, the light bronzed whiskey splashing over his hand and onto the small round table.

Cap pointed at his friend "Don't finish that Skunky. "Cap barked.

Skunkhair raised his hands in surrender and sighed. "right, alright" Skunkhair said softly.

"he ain't wrong, that girl don't belong here. E'ryone knows it but you" said Jim.

Cap rolled his eyes. "don't you ever shut up uncle Jim! " Cap shouted over his shoulder at him.

As he did so Johnsey stormed into the Saloon and right up to the bar.

"jus what I need" Cap muttered.

"Luella, give me a bottle! " Johnsey hollard. Not a second after a girl with beautiful bouncing curls darted over.

She poured his drinks, and rubbed his arm as if to comfort him while he drank away his obvious distress.

"shoulda picked Lulu over there instead of that damned McCoy" Cap heard Jim mutter.

"who he picked ain't the problem, he didn't fight for her. Johnsey's so busy being in love he don't know how to give it... Or keep it. Luella is better off" Cap said watching his older brother.

Cotton seemed contented as he listened to the music play and people talk.

"you like it here Cot?" she asked, Chyna found herself amused by the look on his face, not that much was going on, but he seemed to be having fun.

"yeah, I -" Cotton's words drifted away as his eyes met with a large Man, lumbering their way, like a mad Bull.

Chyna exhaled "oh no" she said lightly under her breath.

Chyna placed on a nervous smile before the man came to a stop before their table.

Cotton unaware smiled politely up at him.

"Hello James, how are yo-"

"why you keep bringing them up in here? " James asked in a rush.

Chyna could almost see the steam coming out of the man's ears.

"they're my family, I mean no harm. This here, this is Cotton. " she said cautiously.

"It's nice to meet you James" said Cotton a larger grin came to his face "are you a friend of Chyna? " he asked.

James narrowed his eyes "halfwit" he muttered.

Cotton's smile fell, Chyna dropped her smile as well and balled up her fists.

Chyna "look here you water-headed bastard, ain't your momma never taught you no better! Rude to folks bein' friendly. You should be ashamed of yourself acting like everything folks hates about us! " Chyna hissed.

"James, carry your not so narrow ass away somewheres else!" a sharp slick voice called.

Chyna looked up to see that tall toothy man from before, resting his hand on James shoulder.

"you're bad for my sisters business go on home" the man said.

James growled "you kickin me out an letting the white folk stay, Clint ? "

Clint gave a large smile "hell they payin, you bet you gotta tab a whole year long. Me stop acting a mess" he said.

James swatted away Clint's hand and stormed away.

Chyna deflated "thank you" she said. "I ain't mean to cause no trouble.... It's just, he shouldn't say such things" she added.

"it's alright miss lady, James' always gotta spur up his ass" Said Clint.

"sorry if he scared ya, son. But James just all bark, he is loud that's bout all" Clint said to Cotton.

Cotton beamed "yeah, I gotta uncle like that... He's meaner than James though" Cotton said.

Chyna sighed and side glanced "that's an understatement" she muttered.

"pissy drunk and only 5 glasses" Skunkhair said shaking his head as he watched Johnsey flail about. Hey was yelling nearly at the top of his lungs about how he was going to ride out and make Randall McCoy listen to his plea to marry Roseanna.

Cap got up from his seat with a sigh and went over to him.

Hey grabbed the back of his brothers neck in his palm. "time to go on home Johnsey, you're done" Cap said dryly.

Johnsey flung Cap off of him and nearly stumbled to the floor, Luella caught him.

"I-im gon girl down there an-and tell him" Johnsey hiccuped "tuh let me jus see her, an talk it out, l-like-like men" Johnsey said with a drunken nod.

Johnsey then straightened out his vest, slapped on his hat and stormed out. Luella quickly made chase.

Iris arrived with a plate full of food. "thank you miss Iris" said Cotton as Chyna laid the money on the table as Cotton dug in.
Chyna placed down a cloth napkin she had brought in her small satchel and placed some of the food in it before carefully wrapping it back up.

"got more chil'ren to feed? " Iris asked. Chyna laughed lightly. "oh Cotton he ain't.... Well-" she stopped herself and Cotton smiled up at her while trying to fit as much food as he could in his mouth. Chyna decided not to correct Iris.

"no, not really jus somebody who really wanted to be here" she said.

"next time bring em on" Clint encouraged animatedly, Chyna giggled "oh I don't think that's wise..." Chyna said.

Clint chuckled "no, maybe not" he said.

"but you and Cotton is always welcome " said Iris.

By the end of the night a full Cotton followed behind Chyna as they left The Shanty.

At the front door raised voices disturbed the peaceful quiet of the night.

"you kiddin? My friend and cousins inside I'm jus here to pick em up! " Cap's voice called.

"we ain't got none of yo kinds up in here, now I ain't gon tell you to leave again! " another man yelled.

Chyna jogged out the front door to see the man at the entrance shove Cap back. In the distance she could see Jim, watching the scene he had took up his riffle.

Chyna pushed past the man and stood infront of Cap. "please, he was tellin the truth sir." Chyna said quickly.

"come on Cotton " she called, and he scurried over.

Looking up she could see Iris headed towards them far less than happy.

"come on let's go on back Cap.... Before Jim makes things worse" she said.

Cap nodded stiffly and followed after Chyna who lead him by his sleeve.

The ride home was long and silent. Chyna sat behind Cap on his horse, she'd had a good time at The Shanty, but she was sad.

She cared deeply now for the Hatfield clan and wished somehow her new friends could learn to trust them.

If they could, each side, see each other the way she did.

"I'm sorry Cap" Chyna muttered. "I should have been waitin outside"

Cap shrugged "it's fine, I get it - why they don't want me around, ain't like none of them could walk in the Saloon - jus, how's Cotton ok but not me? " Cap asked.

Chyna smiled behind his back "because one look at Cotton and anyone can see he ain't nothing but a little lamb" She said.

"....and me?" Cap asked, he wanted to know and then he didn't.

"you.... You're a Raven, those who know you see you as a friend. confident and steadfast yous apart of the world and completely seperated from it. But those who are strangers,  you are quiet,  calm and always watching. " said Chyna.

Cap smirked and then scoffed. "so a scary bird that brings bad omens? " he chuckled.

Chyna shook her head "a scary beautiful bird, sharp taloned and a soft feathered" she corrected.

Cap felt his face go a blaze, and he gulped. Hey hoped his whole body wasn't as heated as his face and became very aware of just how thin his coat was under her arms.

He started to think on what animal she'd be and at what he imagined made him chuckle.

Fluttering white wings and a soft sad song.

"a dove" he muttered.

Chyna couldn't make out what he said.  "sorry? " she asked.

Cap glanced over his shoulder at her and smiled. "nothing just talking to myself long night" he said,  his gaze a little softer than he'd wanted to let through.

Chyna nodded "tell me about it" she said.  The moment  he turned back around a small blush crept across her face, she'd seen his blush. Maybe she said something she shouldn't have.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 46.4K 52
I sit down on my bike looking around the school parking lot. Listening to music, I stand up begin to walk through the student-less parking lot. Hones...
352K 13.4K 46
Growing up in the hood isn't easy . Murders , shootouts , drugs , prostitutes and dope boys are normal . Imagine being sucked in the gritty at just s...
4K 191 83
Get ready to dive into the captivating story of teenage couples as they navigate the treacherous waters of high school and strive to make their relat...
105 2 27
Not edited*** Biracial main character*** Audriana falls head over heels for a man she's barely known for a month. Life throws her on a carousel tha...