RED: Welcome To Fayetteville...

By WesleyBryant6

[Highest Ranks] ***2018 Watty's Shortlist*** ***FEATURED STORY*** #1 in Novels #5 in Murder Mysteries #6 in M... More

Character List
INTRO
PROLOGUE
Chapter 1: Genni
Chapter 2: Evelyn
Chapter 3: Sheriff Mullins
Chapter 4: Kathrine
Chapter 5: Derrick
Chapter 6: The Bridge
Chapter 7: The Rat
Chapter 8: The Trigger
Chapter 9: The Blood
Chapter 10: The Crowbar
Chapter 11: Jasper
Chapter 12: The Yellow Light
Chapter 13: The Photo
-Questions & Predictions-
Chapter 14: The Call
Chapter 15: Natalie
Chapter 16: The Interrogation Room
Chapter 17: The River
Chapter 18: The Suspects
Chapter 19: The Secrets
Chapter 20: The Gun
Chapter 21: The Post
Chapter 22: The Confession
Chapter 23: The Fear
Chapter 24: The Scene
Chapter 25: The Shock
Chapter 26: The Camera
- Questions & Predictions Pt. 2 -
Chapter 27: RED
Chapter 28: The Butterflies
Chapter 29: The Buzz
Chapter 30: The Death
Chapter 31: The Knock
Chapter 32: The Past
Chapter 33: The Darkness
Chapter 34: Deputy Evans
Chapter 35: The Choice
Chapter 36: The Gift
Chapter 37: The Shot
Chapter 38: The Open Book
Chapter 39: The Return
- Questions & Predictions Pt. 3-
Chapter 40: The Cabin
Chapter 41: The Search
Chapter 42: The Truck
Chapter 44: The Mouse
Chapter 45: The Lonely
Chapter 46: The Fog
Chapter 47: The Sleep
Chapter 48: The Watched
Chapter 49: Danny
Chapter 50: The Classroom
Chapter 51: The Act
Chapter 52: The Ashes
- Questions & Predictions Pt. 4 -
Chapter 53: The Hunting
Chapter 54: The Invited
Chapter 55: The Code Word
Chapter 56: The Bag
Chapter 57: The Arrival
Chapter 58: Asleep
Chapter 59: Awake
Chapter 60: The Four
Chapter 61: No Time
Chapter 62: The Duo
Chapter 63: The Breaking Point
Chapter 64: The Breath
Chapter 65: THE END
COMING SOON
UPDATE
PAPERBACK
DINNER THEATRE
A NEW BOOK!!

Chapter 43: The Cat

3.3K 331 36
By WesleyBryant6

Derrick turned the keys in his ignition and started his car. Brumm. The engine rattled.

The exhaust behind the car steamed up into the cold air.

Danny copied him and started his truck just seconds after Derrick. Brumm.

Derrick looked over at Danny and nodded... it was terribly awkward, but it's all he knew to do. He looked back at the parking lot in front of him and pulled toward the exit, rolling over the white lines on the pavement. Derrick's eyes were glued to his rearview mirror, watching Danny's white, rusty truck. He turned the heat higher; if it wasn't already cold enough, the anxiety was making it colder. And just like magic, right on cue... Danny's truck started to pull to the exit behind Derrick.

The red light bouncing into the car turned green. "Oh," he said. He pulled out and stayed in the right lane, hoping Danny wouldn't follow behind. He kept going, keeping the speed low... and so did Danny. Derrick kept watching the rearview mirror more than the road.

"This is weird... what are you doing, man?" Derrick said to himself. "Oh. No... surely not..." He wanted to convince himself that Danny wasn't waiting on him in the parking lot. That he wasn't following him...

But, Derrick's photo was in Danny's cabin. Hanging beside all his friends, the pictures were like a wall of fame. A hanging collection of faces that meant something. But these friends were here and alive... and Genni wasn't.

Derrick pulled into a hardware store, praying that Danny would keep going. But like seeing a monster crawl in a scary movie... the rusting truck pulled in just seconds after.

"This isn't cool, man," Derrick said. His eyes shot to the gas station that shared the parking lot. The sunset meant one thing to Derrick: those lights above the pump were about to come on. Derrick pulled forward and parked at the pump under the flickering light, even though his tank was full of gas.

It was a waiting game. Like cat and mouse. Who's moving first? The cat? Or the mouse? Danny knew Derrick was onto him. He picked up the gun from the passenger seat and moved it into the glovebox. "Not today," Danny said.

Derrick, lucky enough, watched Danny pull out of the gas station and head the opposite direction... but that wasn't enough for Derrick. He knew Danny was up to something, but he had to know more.

He put the car into drive and turned the cat into the mouse.

***What will Derrick find if he follows Danny? Will he make a mistake?

**If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote! This would really help me out. Also, comment your thoughts! I respond to all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Whole Truth By jaxharlow

Mystery / Thriller

432K 20.1K 52
Adele knows she witnessed a murder - what she doesn't know is just how personal it is. ...
15.9K 775 11
Fabletown, a place for Fables to live separately from humans, or 'mundies'. It's the place they call home ever since they were run out of the Homelan...
306K 25.9K 43
☆☆ Watty Award Winner 2020 ☆☆ Cooper Daniels lives next door to a psychopath. He just can't prove it...yet. When the most popular girl in high school...
Blend By Ann

Paranormal

84.1K 13.5K 52
✨A WATTYS 2022 PARANORMAL & "BEST CHARACTERS" WINNER✨ A college basketball star risks everything to prove his innocence with a girl who can communica...