Crossroads

By AudenNyx

"You make me want to do things to you." He mumbles, his brown eyes never straying from mine. "What?" I whisp... More

p r o l o g u e
c a s t
a e s t h e t i c s
1 | Good Morning, Sunshine
2 | Waffles
3 | New Beginnings
4 | Silver Knight High
5 | Place Your Bets
6 | Nicknames, Eh?
7 | Stereotypes
8 | Same But Different
9 | Truth Or Dare
10 | Lover Boy
11 | Spongebob Squarepants
12 | Starlight
13 | The Herd
14 | Do I Sense Jealously
15 | Anyone Special?
17 | So You're The Lucky Guy
18 | Important Business
19 | Irony
20 | We Need To Talk
21 | Setting You Free
22 | Son Of A Biscuit Cracker
23 | Miracle Worker
24 | Lucky
25 | Purple
26 | What
27 | Surprise
g a n g h o u s e
28 | Rain
29 | Reunited
30 | The Tracks
31 | Bliss
32 | The Auction
33 | Trust
34 | Reunited 2.0
35 | Stars and Snow
Epilogue | Perfect
Bonus Chapter | Happy
bonus chapter 0.2 "toddlers in their twenties"

16 | Confessions

24.7K 768 410
By AudenNyx

S I X T E E E N

~I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it.~

a d e l i n

I admire the gorgeous mansion infront of me with wide eyes, my mouth having dropped open as soon as the realization had struck.

Caleb Basilton Carter.

He's Albert Carter's son, heir to Carter Corp, one of the most well known and longest running oil companies out there, the very one my father has been dying to collaborate with.

Most of the Alderige family's wealth was amassed by my great grandfather when he'd taken a gamble by investing in a transporting business and that gamble happened to pay off. Marvellously.

Generations later, my father and uncle now have been wanting to expand their shipments to cover oils, courtesy to the big bucks it guarantees.

And the biggest-and most expansive-oil extraction company just so happens to be Carter Corporation.

Mention of the company during family gatherings is almost akin to greetings, no one even bats an eye when the men froth at the mouth at the mere name of it.

Caleb dismissing the multi billion company he was supposed to inherit is a testament of the love he has for his mother, though why Albert Carter would let him walk away from his legacy dosen't make any sense.

Still trying to come to terms with this new piece of information, I ring the doorbell after being let in by one of the groundskeeper.

My internal dilemma comes to a halt when the arched ebony door swings open and I'm greeted by a woman in her thirties, her jet black hair tied neatly in a bun and her black dress immaculately clean.

She beams at me "Well hello! You must be Adelin." opening the door wider to let me enter "Caleb informed me about your arrival, come on in" stepping into the foyer, I find myself nervous for some reason.

Somehow, the interior manages to put the exterior to shame, with its veined marble flooring, exquisite chandeliers and a double stairway the space screams luxury.

"It's lovely to meet you. Um, Caleb invited m-" I begin, though the grinning woman cuts me off with a dismissive wave of her hand, leaving me in no doubt that Laura and her would be fast friends.

"Oh I know, love. My name's Ester, I'm Caleb's mother's caretaker. You can go upstairs, first door to the right. Make yourself at home." She informs.

I nod thankfully, starting to ascend the stairs, shifting my bag-which is stuffed with my dress, makeup and heels-from my left shoulder to my right.

I have no idea why Caleb suggested that I get ready over at his place-oh right he had to explain to me whether he could go tomorrow or not.

His words not mine.

I really need to tell Caleb about Danny-in detail, this time-it doesn't feel right keeping something so big from him especially when Danny will be released soon.

Sighing, I turn towards the right hallway, knocking softly.

I raise my hand to knock again but right when my knuckles are about to gain contact, the door swings opens and infront of me stands a half naked, glisteningly wet Caleb with only a towel wrapped around his waist.

On their own accord, my eyes wander.

Visually tracing his defined abs and toned abdomen, my throat suddenly feels very parchment. I also just now notice the tattoos on his body. Right in the middle, just below his collar bones is the spaced word temporary.

The space below his elbow is encircled with three thin barb wires, while a small phrase I can't make out runs vertically along the opposite forearm.

It's in a different language which instantly sparks my interest, though I'm forced to tear my eyes away from his veined arms when I hear him chuckle.

Leaning casually against the doorframe, regarding me with a smug smirk, he looks every bit like a greek god.

"I'm not going to even ask, I know you like what you see." he cross examines, making heat rise to my cheeks but I refuse to show him that he has any sort of effect on me by glaring at him.

"The sooner you get over your egoistical self, the lesser the rejections will sting, Carter." I snap, matching his stance by crossing my arms over my chest.

"Then It's good that I've never been met with any, isn't it, Starlight?" He comments smoothly, pushing off the doorframe to let me enter.

Disregarding his undoubtedly true statement, I ask "What does that mean?" pointing to the phrase tattooed on his skin. He raises his eyebrows, amusement shining in those golden flecked orbs.

"What does that mean?" he mimics, pointing to the inside of my wrist where my congruency tattoo lies. Touché

"Same but different." I tell him quietly, though to not give him any chance of questioning it further, I ask "Your turn."

He gives me one of his heart stopping grins and fine maybe my insides turn to mush "The boys and I recently got tattoos together, each a different Latin phrase."

What the-?!

I spin around, hearing about this for the first time but holding in my string of questions to let him continue "I chose Per aspera ad astra. Meaning through hardship, to the stars."

I blink, surprised.

"I like it." I tell him, slowly-truthfully, eyeing the Latin words, a few seconds of silence passing between us, broken only when I meet his eyes "Just wait till I tell the girls you guys do fun activities without us."

"What did the others get?" I ask, still not over them not sharing this information with us "Nosy much?" He teases while I take the moment to gauge my surroundings. His room.

Three of the walls are black, one of which has two doors, revealing a walk in closet while the other I assume is the bathroom. The other grey wall adjacent to it has glass doors, framed by dark chiffon curtains leading to a balcony.

Lastly the wall which has his bed against it is covered with a back and white wallpaper of what seems to be the map of the world. A desk holds a scattering of papers and books, beside it a loveseat.

And as I move closer, I notice a scattering of pictures on the wall above the desk.

Some of Bloom, of him in Paris and then I notice a picture of all seven of us, laughing in the school cafeteria, the selfie we took in the Mall and lastly one that Caleb took a few days ago of me smiling goofily at the camera.

Turning back to Caleb, I find him regarding me, the intensity of his gaze making me uncharacteristically fidgety-not knowing what to do with myself as the air around us grows heavy.

He moves closer to me, until he's hardly an arms length away. His fingers gently slide under my chin, tipping my face upwards.

My eyes meet his mahogany ones and I watch them go a shade darker, swallowing when his minty breath fans my face, those eyes travelling to my lips as he leans forward.

My breaths quicken when Caleb rests his forehead against mine, eyes fluttering close but I feel him leaning in, my heart thumping and muscles tightening with need.

His nose touches mine and all of a sudden reality comes crashing down on me, my eyes shoot open.

I can't do this.

Not yet.

"Caleb I ha-" His phone ringing cuts me off. Frustration is etched all over his face when he pulls away from me-the action looking like it physically hurts.

"What?" Is his harsh answer, though his expression softens considerably when whoever it is on the other side speaks.

"Oh, right...Yeah, she's here...okay....see you there." and with that he hangs up, tossing his phone back on the bed.

My mind seems to check back in to remind me that he's still only in that single towel and I force my eyes to stay on his face, even as blood rises to my face.

"Tris called. They've left for the party, he wants us to get there as soon as possible..so we should probably get ready." he informs, rubbing the back of his neck.

As he does it, the muscles of his arms flex, those veins becoming all the more prominent. I manage to nod mutely.

Words, Adelin. Now is a good time to utilise them.

"You can use the bathroom, I'll change here." He lets out a deep breath "About what just happened..Adelin I-" his hesitance makes me worry and I prepare to interfere, alas..

"Adelin, I really like you, and-I-will you go out with me?" He asks nervously. The world seem to stop moving. I am rooted to the spot, my breath hitching at the revelation and the question.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

What have I gotten myself into.

A very very sticky situation.

I should've told him sooner. Should've come clean before any feelings got involved. Even though I know what I have to do, my heart still wants me to ignore everything, embrace him and yell yes endlessly.

But I can't.

I look up at him, into the eyes I've come to adore so much. He waits patiently for an answer but I can see the hope lining those brown orbs and my heart breaks at the sight of them.

I push myself to say the next words, to face the music of my actions.

"Caleb I-I can't. I-it's complicated." I stutter, trying to find the right words "You remember Daniel right? It's just that we-" his voice cuts me off as he says "I get it."

My head snaps up at that. Silence envelopes us and with every second passes becomes too much to bear, my heart pounds wildly in my chest as if it wants to rip itself away from me for this.

"I understand." he repeats, his voice sounding too loud against the quiet.

"He's not my boyfriend. It's just we-" I try once again, fumbling for words but he dosen't give me the chance.

"You don't need to explain anything Adelin." The way he says it, void of emotions shatters my heart completely.

Still, I open my mouth, to argue with him-to make him understand-to somehow salvage this situation but Caleb is having none of it.

"We should get dressed."

My eyes water so I only nod, hastily grabbing my bag and entering his bathroom to avoid breaking down infront of him.

But my walls break down once the door closes, I slide against the door and onto the marble floor, holding my head in my hands overwhelmed with everything.

This is all my fault. I started to like him, I let him get close. I developed feelings for him, not knowing that the same was happening to him. All the while I still had to clear up what fragments of emotions I shared with Danny during that kiss.

He must hate me now, probably dosen't even want to see my face. I can't let that happen, I can't lose him as a friend.

I stand up on shaky legs, pulling myself together.

I change into a low halter neck silver dress with spaghetti straps that lead to a completely bare back. It ends asymmetrically above my knee and the glitter that coats the whole dress shimmers with my every sway.

To compliment it, I apply a coat of rich red lipstick a bold black wing framing my eye, glitter in the inner corner tuing the look with the attire. Bending down, I slip on a stunning pair of YSL heels.

I give myself a once over, feeling satisfied with the lightly curled hair and accessories, I take in a calming breath. With a raised chin, I open the door.

Caleb has his back towards me, his head bend as he types proficiently on his phone, the soft click of the door makes him turn around and I brace myself.

With his sole attention now on me, his eyes lazily travel from my feet to my face.

I take my time to do the same. He looks unbelievably hot in the all dark attire. A black denim jacket covers most of the black shirt he wears underneath with jeans the same shade and doc martens. A silver chain hangs from his neck over the shirt.

The mahogany locks messed around in effortless perfection, some strands curling slightly on his forehead, making my hands twitch to brush them away.

I silently curse, forcing myself to meet his eyes.

Realising a sigh, I start, "Caleb, listen I really am sorry about everything. I should've told you before and I did try but something always came up. I really still want to be your friend. So please forgive me."

He gives me a smile that doesn't reach his eyes.

"It's okay. There's nothing to apologise for and just because I have feelings for you dosen't mean that I get to lose you as a friend." he tells me, the genuine words surprising me.

I cautiously walk over to him before embracing him. He stiffens at first but within seconds his arms go around my waist and he burys his head in my neck, something he tends to do whenever we hug that always makes me smile.

We stay like that for a few moments, in which I curse my body for craving him and his warmth so much and my mind for wanting his company and him by my side, always.

That thought acts as my cue to pull away, the smile I give him sad and a little forced.

"We better head out before everyone bombards us with calls and texts." He jokes, his attempt at trying to lighten the mood not going unnoticed, I chuckle my agreement.

As we head out, he surprises me once again by taking my cold hand in his. That damned warmth and stupid tingling will be the death of me.

I really need to control myself and my feelings or else they might blossom into something deeper than mere liking and I'll be in knee deep shit.

You already are in knee deep shit, darling.

☼ 𝘼𝙐𝙏𝙃𝙊𝙍'𝙎 𝙉𝙊𝙏𝙀  ☼
I hope no one hates me.
hehehehe
**hides behind a bush**
Until next time
Xoxo
💙

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

908K 23K 42
He's the school's biggest player. "Hey cutie, wanna take a ride?" He's the most arrogant person I know. "I can't help it if I'm amazingly good-lookin...
517K 10.9K 44
I let a smirk take it's place on my face as I sauntered over towards him. He looked very amused, but I knew what I was doing. "I heard you're a playe...
4.6K 344 49
Book One Of The Clumsy Artist Series "If I do this love." He murmured catching a strand of my loose hair. "You'll owe me. Are you ready to owe the de...
43.4K 1.7K 34
"What the hell did you do!?" I heard a feminine voice behind me. I groaned and turned around to meet a very angry face. I have never seen a girl this...