The Devil's Trap

By april_avery

"She's my best friend, and she's the thirteenth victim." Nangako si Althea Denise Limerick at ang best friend... More

Chapter 1: The Incident
Chapter 2: No Escape
Chapter 3: Beg For It
Chapter 4: Evidence
Chapter 5: Take You Down
Chapter 6: The Deal
Chapter 7: Blood Lust
Chapter 8: Black Tuxedo
Chapter 9: Cocktail Dress
Chapter 10: A Dance with a Devil
Chapter 11: The Vixen and the Blacksheep
Chapter 12: The Punishment
Chapter 13: Intimidating Game
Chapter 14: Drunk and Heated
Chapter 15: Asylum
Chapter 16: Indebted
Chapter 17: Fire
Chapter 18: Drift
Chapter 19: Semestral Break
Chapter 20: Crashing Waves
Chapter 21: Missing
Chapter 22: Wrong Decision
Chapter 23: Angels and Devils
Chapter 24: Poison
Chapter 25: New Beginning
Chapter 26: Death of Emotions
Chapter 27: Blood and Drugs
Chapter 28: The Invitation
Chapter 30: Clandestine Kiss
Chapter 31: Betrayal
Chapter 32: Roses and Blood
Chapter 33: Ghost of the Past
Chapter 34: The Moon and the Sun
Chapter 35: Storm Within
Chapter 36: Exchange of Blood
Chapter 37: Silver and Gold
Chapter 38: The Other Girl
Chapter 39: The Kingdom and the Queen
Chapter 40: Easy Way Out
Chapter 41: Twist of Fate
Chapter 42: Oceans and Wreckage
Chapter 43: Russian Roulette
Chapter 44: The Devil
Chapter 45: Final Goodbye
The Devil's Trap: Special Chapter Part 1
The Devil's Trap: Special Chapter Part 2
The Devil's Trap Book Details
Book's Special Chapter

Chapter 29: Nouveau Vampire

222K 12.5K 5.1K
By april_avery

Chapter 29: Nouveau Vampire

Madilim na nang muli akong lumabas ng kwarto. I was already made up for the party. I'm wearing a silver fitted dress down to my ankles. It has bits of crystals on the fabric that are sparkling beneath the golden lights of the hallway of River's mansion. My hair is up into a delicate bun, with supple lips and mid-tone smokey eyes.

I was instructed that River is in the other room, also preparing. Nang makarating ako sa kwarto, bahagya itong nakabukas. Kinatok ko ito. I don't want to invade any privacy in a house where I'm the stranger.

Walang sumagot sa mga unang katok ko. Kalaunan ay wala na akong nagawa kundi ang pumasok. We are going to be late kapag hindi pa kami umalis.

Napaatras ako nang makitang kwarto ni River ang pinasukan ko. There's his bed, black with large white pillows. The stuff around his room were either gray or dark blue.

Nakita ko si River sa loob ng isa pang kwarto. A walk-in cabinet. Nakatayo siya sa harap ng drawers na puno ng necktie. Kasalukuyan niyang inaayos ang neck tie na suot niya.

I was always taken aback whenever I see them this formal. They are intimidating by day and even more mysterious by night. River is wearing dark blue tuxedo with white polo and a dark blue tie. His hair was styled as if he just comb his fingers through it.

Lumingon siya nang maramdaman ang pagdating ko. "Sorry," hingi ko ng paumanhin. "The door was open and-"

Ngumiti siya. "Do you always have to apologize for your every action, Denise?"

"But it was-"

Lumabas siya mula sa walk-in closet. Sandali siyang natigilan nang tuluyan akong makita.

"What?"

He averted his gaze from me. Napahawak siya sa kanyang batok, saka tumingala at bumulong.

"What?"

Other vampires know how to block sensitive hearing. At yon ang ginagawa ni River.

Sa halip na sumagot, kinuha ni River sa kama  ang isang kahon. "Pasensya na nakaligtaan kong dalhin sayo." It was a shoe box.

"Sit here."

Umupo ako sa bed. I was about to wear the shoes when River stooped in front of me. Kinuha niya ang sapatos at isinuot ito sa akin. Tinitigan ko siya habang kinakabit ito sa aking mga paa.

"River."

"Yeah?" Sagot niya na nakatutok parin sa ginagawa.

Hindi ako sumagot. Sa halip ay tahimik ko siyang pinagmasdan. Whoever you'll fall for will be lucky to have you, River.

--

The party is going to be held at Yllona's residence. At katulad ng iba pang mga properties ng pamilya, sa unang tapak palang ay makikita na ang engrandeng estraktura ng lugar.

Mula sa maluwang na lawn kung saan dinadaos ang pagdiriwang, hanggang sa mansion sa gitna ng property. There was a pool, a wide terrace overlooking the woods, and several gazebos in the garden.

Lanterns and bulbs attached to strings adorned the place. The party has a motif. Black tables with white accent, silver and gold ornaments.

The driveway was filled with luxury cars. People stepped out of their cars doning the aura of grace, elegance, and class.

The atmosphere was intimidating. It was like a convention of the most powerful families of their kind from Conventry city and nearby cities.

"You okay?"

"How can you breathe in this kind of environment?"

River chuckled. "We held our nose between out fingers until we can breathe fresh air again."

It was a metaphoric statement. River love those.

Pumasok kami sa venue. There's an outer grand staircase located in front of the mansion. The property almost looks like a castle, suited to Yllona who is the family's princess. There was something towering in front of the staircase. Nang makalapit kami, doon ko napagtanto na ito ay mga regalo.

Nalukot ko ang maliit na paper bag na hawak ko. Yesterday, I spend the night making Yllona and River a sketch of them as a birthday gift. River somehow adore it. Nakangisi siya nang tanggapin ito sa sasakyan.

"She'll love it," said River beside me as if sensing my hesitation. "Those are things she already can afford," he said pertaining to the towers of gifts. "I'm positive your gift will be her favorite, like I do."

I smiled. I know River is just trying to make me comfortable.

Nang makalapit kami sa mga tao, agad silang lumapit upang batiin si River.

"River, happy birthday, dear."

Nakihalubilo si River. Nakipag usap. Nakipag biruan. People also stared at me. Some of them smiled. This is an exclusive party and everyone has an invitation. They didn't think I'm an outsider. They think I'm one of them.

Nagsimula ang pagdiriwang. Yllona will be walking down the grand staircase overlooking the lawn. Hinintay ko ang kanyang paglabas. I'm excited, and proud, and giddy. Because despite the suffocating air, everything else was breathtaking. From the lights, to the open lawn, the grandness of the mansion before us, and the shadow of the woods.

Maya maya pa bumukas ang pintuan. Lumabas si Yllona nang nakangiti. She's wearing a beige ball gown, sparkling under the lights and the mysterious shadow of the moon.

Bumaba siya sa hagdan habang nagpapalakpakan ang mga tao. People greeted her, gushed about her, told her how beautiful she is, and how enchanting the party is.

Pinanood namin siya ni River mula sa gilid. "Aren't you going to greet her?" Tanong ko sa katabi ko.

"Look at her," sinabi niya. "The past few years honed her acting skills. Quite convincing for a fake smile. A little pitch higher than her normal laugh but compelling enough. The problem will always be her eyes. Yllona's eye are too expressive. Eyes that can't lie. At when you look at it, it was as if she's already tired."

Pinagmasdan ko ang tinutukoy ni River. Yllona's radiant smile lits up her face like a candle. But like the tip of the flame, her eyes flickered, the fire fading as minutes passed by. After all, everything is only for the family connections.

Linibot ni Yllona ang kanyang tingin. She caught my eyes. Nagliwanag muli ang kanyang mukha. She excused herself from the crowd and made her way towards us.

"Denise!" She exclamed. "Akala ko hindi ka makakapunta. I'm so glad to see you."

"Happy birthday, Yllona."

Inabot ko sa kanya ang regalong dala ko. She blinked. Kinuha niya ito saka tinignan. She held the frame where I put my sketch.

Her face soften. "Thank you," she said. "Thank you so much, Denise. This is actually the first hand made gift I received."

Nabigla ako nang yakapin ako ni Yllona. "And you... you're looking hot tonight."

She'll not be Yllona if not for those mischievous remarks. Ngunit alam kong mas komportable na siya kahit paano.

"You're getting my twin into trouble, you know that?"

I turned to River. He gave Yllona a deadpanned look. Like a warning. Yllona laughed.

"I need to be back to my award winning acting now. Enjoy the night, Denise."

Nagsimula ang sayawan ilang minuto matapos magpaalam ni Yllona. River held his hand in front of me.

"Wanna try my dancing skills?"

Napangiti ako sa kanyang alok. "Why not? Let's rate it."

Pumunta kami sa gitna tulad ng iba pang mga taong nagsasayawan. At sa unang pagkakataon hindi ako nakaramdam ng takot na bagong mundong ginagalawan ko. People were staring, but it's not because I don't belong here. It's because I'm dancing with a Monaghan. James River Monaghan.

"Now everyone knows who you are," whispered River in my ears while dancing.

"Ano'ng ibig mong sabihin?"

"Nouveaux or newly converted vampires often gets discriminated by the pure bloods or vampires by blood and race. But these people would rave for a connection with the Monaghans. And seeing you here, with us, puts you in a solid spot in their hands-off list."

Napatitig ako kay River. "Kaya ba sinama niyo ako dito?" I can't believe how the twin's mind operate. They could direct a freaking simulator game.

Nagpatuloy kami sa pagsasayaw. Maya maya pa biglang nagbago ang atmosphere sa paligid. Huminto ang mga taong nagsasayawan.

"They are here."

Liningon ko ang tinutukoy nila. Ilang tao ang bagong labas ng mansion. I recognized one of them right away.

Landon Clifford Monaghan.

Kasabay niyang naglalakad ang sa tingin ko ay ang mga pinaka-makapangyarihan sa pamilya. Ang kanyang Ama. Ang kanyang Uncle at Autie na minsan ko ng nakita. At isa pang mas nakakatanda. Isang taong halos magbigay sa akin ng kilabot dahil sa kanyang aura na dala. Nakaupo ito sa wheel chair. Ngunit sa kanyang mga mata palang na halos hindi ko kayang tingnan... alam ko... ramdam ko. Siya ang pinuno ng pamilya.

Tila maging si River ay tuluyang nagbago ang expression. Naikuyom niya ang kanyang kamao. Saka siya bumuntong hininga.

"What's wrong?"

"I didn't expect he'd be here." Nagtataka parin ako kaya wala siyang nagawa kundi ang banggitin ito. "Si Lolo."

Doon ko lamang ito napansin. There seem to have a distance between the twins, and Landon and the rest of their family.

Umalis si River mula sa pagdiriwang habang hila ang aking kamay.

"River..." Ano ba ang nangyayari? Lumingon akong muli sa pamilya. Doon tila nagtama ang mga mata namin ni Landon.

Ngunit kinailangan kong sundan si River. Lumayo kami sa pagdiriwang hanggang sa makarating sa gilid ng mansion kung nasaan ang pool.

"Are you okay?"

"I loath the old man," derechong sinabi ni River. Ngayon ko lang siya nakitang puno ng puot.

Ngayon ko lang nakita ang matandang Monaghan kaya wala akong idea sa tinutukoy ni River. Umupo kami sa isang garden bench malapit sa pool. Malayo sa ingay at pressure na dala ng pagdiriwang.

"He... He's the reason why my Mom fled the country."

Natahimik ako sa sinabi ni River. Isang malalim na buga ng hangin ang kanyang pinakawalan.

"Paano niya naatim na pumunta dito kung siya ang dahilan ng pagkasira ng pamilya ng kanyang apo?"

Nanatiling nakakuyom ang mga kamao ni River. Hinawakan ko ito at pinilit kinalas mula sa pagkakuyom upang kumalma siya. Tinitigan niya ako. Unti unti siyang kumalma.

"He's the most manipulative person I know," pagpapatuloy niya sa mas kalmadong boses. "My mother was... a nouveau vampire. Hindi siya kailanman tinggap ng pamilya. We are a taint in the bloodline. Our father is pure blooded. Yllona and I... a third of our blood is part human."

Sumandal siya sa bench at napatingala sa madilim na langit. "We are the only grand children who are a taint to the family. Landon and the rest are pure bloods."

Napangiti siya nang mapait.

"Isa ito sa batas ng pamilya na mahigpit na sinusunod ng sino man. A pure blood is only for a pure blood. No one would dare taint the family's bloodline. Ngunit ginawa ito ng aking Ama. He had to convert my mother, a human, into a nouveau to save her. Nilihim nila sa pamilya ang kanilang pagsasama. Nang maipanganak kami ni Yllona nalaman ito ng pamilya ng aking Ama. Dinala kami sa mansion ni Lolo. Ikinulong kami dito noong kami ay sanggol pa lamang kasama ang aking Ina. Halos mabaliw sa lugar na yon ang aking Ina. Noong limang taong gulang na kami, nakatakas ang aming Ina mula sa pagkakakulong. Binalak niya kaming dalhin ngunit nahuli siya bago pa ito magawa."

Pumikit si River.

"She was then sent to an unknown country upang hindi na muling makalapit sa amin at hindi namin mahanap. Because no matter how people see it, we are still a Monaghan. We belong to the family. And a Monaghan is loyal to the family's name. Walang Monaghan na taksil, na bastardo, na sisira sa angkan. We were raised and breed to be a Monaghan. Kaya ito kami ngayon, isa sa mga taong walang magawa kundi ang sundin siya. Dahil hindi ka lamang niya kayang sirain. Kaya niyang wasakin ang lahat ng pinapahalagahan mo sa buhay."

I was scared. I was scared for them. For the twins... and for a reason, I was scared for Landon.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7M 283K 52
A fantasy which seems to be more like a reality. Or a reality which seems to be more like a fantasy? Or perhaps, a combination of reality and fantasy.
354K 8.8K 35
Note: Basahin kung gustong sumakit ang mata. Madaming errors at wala akong oras para ayusin. LOL -seyi
1M 10.2K 7
Ivo always gets kick out from school because of his filthy attitude. He loves to fight. He smokes. He drinks. An 18-year-old delinquent who's stuck i...
Wicked Witch By 🌙

General Fiction

31.4K 1.2K 41
"It's easy to say that you're willing to love a person not until the day you've seen her capability to destroy everything around her.... including yo...