A Worthy Villainess

By FairoNeko

A simple story ≠ A simple life. My name is Mercury Caduceus. If you recognise this name, then you would know... More

2. Investment
3. Equanimity
4. Quarantine
5. Promenade
6. Redolent
7. Convene
8. Anecdote
9. Humility
10. Solace
11. Bliss
12. Zone
13. Venerate
14. Trend
15. Fickle
16. Order
17. Lark
18. Yearn
19. Karma
20. Joy
21. Xanadu
22. Ubiquitous
23. Guise
24. Mayhem
25. Niche
26. Wordage
27. Aberrant
28. Rendezvous
29. Veracity
30. Calamity
31. Think
32. Interest
33. Manifold
34. Phantasm
35. Familiarity
36. Expiate
37. Lucent
38. Quote
39. Beloved
40. Secure
41. Occasion
42. Zest
43. Xylitol
44. Domain
BONUS

1. Divergence

27.7K 746 249
By FairoNeko

Mercury Caduceus was the name of an infamous Villainess from one of the otome games released to the world.

Incidentally, it is also my current name.

The world where Mercury Caduceus reside was a fictional modern world, in which the setting was set at a prestigious high school.

Earlier today, I arrived at that school to further my education. Since I still have a little bit of time before dinner, I decide to take a walk around the school instead of staying in my dorm room.

The prologue of the story was on a rainy day. Approximately, one day before the start of the heart-throbbing school year.

The day before the start of the new school year, a female student can be seen running through the rain, seemingly just arrived with her meagre luggage, to the school building.

Fortunately for that female student, the only people who witness this unsightly scene are me and a male student, who is coincidentally walking pass here.

Unlike me, the male student immediately acts as the gentleman he is, by offering the female student his jacket to cover her soaked self and giving a light reprimand for risking her health like this.

I stand aside as I watch them interact. I do recognise the female student who has just arrived. I also recognise the male student who has given her a lending hand. How could I not recognise them? We are, in a sense, the main characters of this story, after all.

The introduction of a girl who would have her love story progressed from the choices she made, the introduction of the main love interest who would become someone special to her, and the introduction of another girl who would become a hindrance for her to reach a happy ending.

It seems that they finally notice me.

"Oh," the male student looks surprised to see me standing here without doing anything to help

The female student glances at me briefly, before breaking out in an obvious shiver. As the male student notices it, she gives a shy laugh and tells him she feels slightly cold from the wind.

Despite already having the male student's jacket wrapped around her body?

"That is not something a slight cold will cause," the male student rebukes disapprovingly at her exposed lie

Even though I am content with just watching, to hear him call her out like that... It can't be helped to have a giggle slips out.

"You too, don't laugh," turning to me, the male student chides, "Come and help, rather than standing there doing nothing,"

"Why should I help?" I voice the question aloud, crossing my arms as I stare down at him, "This has nothing to do with me,"

"Fine. You are right to say this has nothing to do with you," the male student picks up the female student's meagre luggage, "Since it's like that, I will hire you to help. You will be rewarded accordingly, of course. What is your answer?"

That's different from the script.

Up until now, I have prepared myself for my role at this moment. I know what I am supposed to do and say here, after receiving his reply. Yet, to receive a different response than the one I expected...

"It's okay!" slightly flustered, the female student holds on the male student's arm to stop him, "There is no need to bother her with something like this!"

The male student stares at her briefly before giving a nod, "Fine. Let's get you to the female dormitory so you can warm up. I can't go inside the building, so you will have to find the way to your room by yourself," pausing briefly after saying that, he asks the girl, "What is your room number?"

Surprised but still pleased he heard her plea to leave me alone, the female student tells him, "It's room 304,"

After nodding at her, the male student asks me, "Can you describe the way to room 304?"

The female student makes the motion to slap her forehead, but stops herself in time. The male student doesn't notice that at all. Still with my arms crossed, I answer him with a frown, "I expect the layout of dormitory buildings to be similar. You can tell her how to get to room 304 yourself,"

"I see..." the male student nods again, "Thank you. Here is your reward,"

Walking over to me while still holding the luggage, the male student hands over a small chocolate bar. I stare at the unexpected 'reward' blankly. Do I deserve a reward for giving an answer like that?

"Let's go," the male student beckons the female student to follow him

While having an equal blank look on her face, the female student hurriedly runs after him. She gives me a wide berth as she runs past me.

The girl who was soaked by the rain was saved by the main love interest while ridiculed by the other girl who refused to acknowledge her. With that chance meeting between the three, their paths were interwoven together to the end.

Something easy such as ridiculing the female student didn't happen. Before I got the chance to do that, the conversation was shifted onto a different topic. Also, rather than being the one to refuse to acknowledge her, I was the one she refused to acknowledge.

With a bizarre meeting like this, how will the story develop from here...?

Thinking back, both the Heroine and the main Love Interest acted differently from the originals. What should I, the Villainess, do in accordance to that? Stay true to my origin.

I have nothing to lose.

🦋

The girl was Venus Myrtle. A kindhearted, cheerful, and hardworking girl who was earnest in everything she did. With a strong will and courage, Venus Myrtle was able to face any obstacles coming her way and emerged victorious.

Venus Myrtle is not someone who would attract unnecessary attention. Rather than moving around interacting with people, she is most comfortable with secluding herself somewhere deserted.

That doesn't mean the story is not progressing.

While Venus does not go around making friends and raising affections with them, she still interacts with them properly. Enough interactions to let them know and remember she exists. By them, I mean the Love Interests.

The impression I get when I see the way Venus does things is... Safety first. She does not raise unnecessary ire from the fans of the Love Interests, since she is more of an acquaintance-friend rather than lover-friend. Venus can be said to be very good at putting on a distance between her and them to satisfy the fans.

The term for something like that is... Playing safe. Unless something big happens to change the dynamic, the end that will be within our reach is Normal Ending. That isn't necessarily an unsatisfactory ending. Yet, I do wish for something to happen. By that, I mean the Events.

I want to witness an Event triggered and happening with my own eyes.

🦋

The main love interest was Galaxy Pollux. He was someone who could easily gain the liking and trust from people. Having the charisma and charm for it, Galaxy was a natural leader.

Galaxy Pollux is someone who has a lot of connections. He forms bonds with people by offering help... And bribe.

That doesn't mean he is not as popular as he should be.

Rather, because Galaxy goes all the way to at least talk to people, he is extremely popular. In accordance with that popularity, Galaxy is chosen as our representative for various activities which require a leader.

Despite all the charisma and charm, Galaxy still does something that might be the boost to his popularity... Galaxy has the habit to give out rewards to those who have done something for him, in any way or form.

Sometimes, the reward can be counted as a bribe. There is no other way to call it.

Everyone knows of Galaxy's habit yet nobody does anything to stop it. Am I the only one who is bothered by that habit?

🦋

Between Venus and Galaxy... While Galaxy does sometimes help Venus on some matters. While Venus does sometimes visit Galaxy for some bits of advice. There is nothing more happening between them, after that prologue scene.

Does that mean, Galaxy is not Venus's chosen one?

It is hard to tell. Venus is not close to other Love Interests. There is no Event happening which will allow them to develop their intimacy, even though I am actively looking for it.

Is Venus staying true to her choice of graduating the school with a Normal Ending?

If that is the case, maybe I should find something else to do rather than preparing myself to disrupt Venus's life.

Unlike Venus Myrtle, who is content to keep to herself, and Galaxy Pollux, who is full of friends... Once I am not a Villainess anymore, I will only be Mercury Caduceus, a nobody.

🦋

Living as a nobody, just like how I used to be before realising I have become the Villainess, is a little hard. Because of my expectation regarding my downfall as the Villainess, among other things, I did not form any bond with anyone.

A nobody and alone.

Previously, I spent the past few weeks by watching out for the Heroine and Love Interests' every movement that might lead to my debut as the Villainess. As nothing significant happened, thinking about it now, I was just like a stalker, wasn't I?

Worsening my mood with the shame of my past failures, I prepare myself for a brand new debut as myself, Mercury Caduceus.

Mercury Caduceus was a girl with curly silver hair tied in twin tails. Adding her sharp crimson eyes and pale complexion, she had quite an intimidating appearance. Mercury Caduceus also had a disparaging and overbearing personality to complete her identity.

As the starter, I will forgo my usual hairstyle. While I am quite fond of it, I have no need for the impression it will give to other people anymore. I will use a butterfly hairclip to keep my hair out of the way instead.

As for my eyes, nothing can be done about it. Pulling my eyelids up or down, it makes no difference. Something I can do about that... It is to tone down the intensity of my stare. Should I smile more too?

Practising it in front of the mirror... It's weird. I am not used to smiling normally, am I? My default expression is severe too... Tone it down, tone it down.

Putting on my uniform, I check in the mirror again. Different hairstyle gives a slightly different impression. My expression is mostly the same. Tone it down, tone it down. Now, what is left is...

"My manner of speech," I mutter to myself while watching the person inside the mirror frowns. As a test, shall I say something to encourage myself?

"For someone like me, is there really a need to be bothered by others' useless opinion?"

The person inside the mirror and I cover our faces with our hands in despair. Before changing my appearance, I should do something about my way of talking first.

"To think something awful like this would befall someone of my calibre..."

Is it weird to feel the tears of shame forming in my eyes?

"Rather than interacting with the lowlife, I should spend my time productively,"

Letting out a resigned sigh, I smile slightly at the self in the mirror. Staying alone, it is.

This is, in fact, one of the few reasons why I did not form any bonds with my classmates... Let alone childhood friends...

🦋

Mercury Caduceus was not someone approachable.

Going into the classroom every morning without even exchanging greetings with anyone is normal for me.

An abnormality happens this time.

Galaxy Pollux greets me, "Good morning, Mercury. Trying out a new mood?"

"When did I ever give you the permission to call me by my first name?" I immediately snap back in response

Pausing internally, I wonder why that's the point I am responding. Rather than my name, I am more surprised to hear him say something about my mood. Is the difference so noticeable? Just because I change my hairstyle??

The people inside the classroom have gone silent after hearing my sharp reply to Galaxy's greeting.

The boy himself has a hand on his chin as he thinks about my question.

Feeling slightly awkward, I move to walk away. Galaxy doesn't stop me, seeing as he is still thinking. In the silence, my footsteps are loud. Pulling back my chair, I process to sit down while putting my school bag on the table.

Looking around, my classmates are suddenly busy to avoid my gaze. The noise is revived, but the heavy atmosphere certainly hasn't been cleared.

Closing my eyes, I let out a small sigh. How did I get such an attitude?

When I realised I had reincarnated as the Villainess as a child, I contemplated for a long time on what to do. I knew I had a lot of choices, ranging from avoidance to acceptance. At first, following common sense, I decided to avoid anything that was related to this story.

But, that's boring.

The Ending of Villainess Mercury Caduceus was rather tame compared to the Endings of various Villainesses in other otome games, which more than likely resulted in death. Thinking about the lack of dangerous endings, I got excited to try playing my role.

As previously stated, the me from before was just a nobody. It's different now. While it's not someone likeable, I was still someone who was important, as one of the main characters. If there was no Villainess Mercury Caduceus, wouldn't that mean they would lose one of the main characters? Wouldn't that mean they would lack a progress?

Thinking only of myself, I decided to become Villainess Mercury Caduceus. Despite the flags of Bad End for me, as the Villainess, I still stood by my newest decision. I accepted everything that would happen to me once we reached the stage of Ending.

With that, I learned to change my attitude from normal and boring Mercury to the Villainess Mercury. I succeed. I succeed a little bit too much. Now, I couldn't revert back to the normal and boring Mercury anymore.

This realization hurt me a lot. Because, it's clear that Villainess Mercury was never needed in the first place. What was the use of accepting my fate when it was all in vain? What about my childhood which I had sacrificed for this moment?

Everything I have done is all for nothing.

Now, with this disagreeable appearance and attitude, I have to continue to live as a normal and boring Mercury, who is a nobody.

What a disheartening turn of event.

My musing is interrupted by someone rapping on my desk. It is Galaxy.

"I have the answer now," Galaxy says, nodding to himself, "You have never given me the permission to call you by your first name. I apologise for acting out of line. Here is my apology," Galaxy hands me a candy, which I do not take. Putting the candy on my table, Galaxy continues with taking out a small chocolate bar, "This is my token of friendship. I'd like to get permission to call you by your first name and become your friend,"

I narrow my eyes at his candy and chocolate bar, not accepting his bribery, "Where do you get the nerve to talk to me? Take your things and get lost,"

"I have always had this nerve. Born with it, you can say," Galaxy doesn't move from my words alone, "Do you dislike sweets? What about senbei?"

I do not manage to stop my gaze to take a look at what Galaxy newly takes out. Now he knows.

Grinning slightly in victory, Galaxy exchanges the candy and small chocolate bar with a small pack of senbei, "Here you go. Enjoy,"

Before I can chase him off again, Galaxy leaves me alone with my senbei. Under the curious look of my classmates, I take the senbei and put it in my bag. Of course, I am blushing lightly in embarrassment.

I don't think any of them realise that, because my hair usually blocks my face from view...

Oh. I forgot I have pulled my hair back and clipped it with a butterfly hairclip. Now they know.

Enduring the embarrassment with my fingers tightly interlocked, I wish for a chance to restart today. Of course, such a thing will never happen. This is my life now.

What a dark history of my life...

🦋

Because of their natures, Venus Myrtle and Mercury Caduceus could hardly get along with each other. It was not from the lack of trying on Venus's part. It was because of one-sided antagonism from Mercury that made them had such a bad relationship.

From the past few weeks of observation, I can now guess where Venus will be hiding today, on a cloudy day.

It is not like I am putting my stalking skill on practice. It just comes as a passing thought when I look at the sky.

A thought that comes in handy when a teacher tasks me in bringing Venus to him, because she is not responding to the call from the broadcast.

"Why do I have to do something troublesome like that?" I am not someone who can easily keep my mouth shut

"I asked Pollux to do it," the teacher replies dully, "He said you will be able to find Myrtle faster than him,"

Pollux... Galaxy then. What a boy... Born with such strong nerves. To push his job on me. He better has three big packs of senbei prepared.

"Is that so? Shouldn't you do something yourself instead of relying on students? What a bother," turning away from the bemused teacher, I change my course from the classroom to the library

A prestigious high school. It has the same meaning as a rich school. The library owns their own building of two floors. On the second floor, closer to the break room for librarians, is Venus's favourite spot.

On a cloudy day when it's dangerous to stay outside, Venus will take refuge here. Currently, she is reading a botany book. She has been reading up on books relating to plants. Does she plan to become a botanist in the future? Not a bad occupation, if she is interested in it.

Either way, it's not my business.

"You," I call out to her, with an annoyed tone

Venus jumps up in surprise from hearing my voice. It is not only an impression that she is scared of me. Venus is genuinely scared of me.

"Are you deaf?" I ignore the harshness of my words to quickly deliver the message and leave Venus in peace, "Did you not hear the noisy sound calling you to the teachers' office? Go there and get your ears checked,"

Moving hurriedly, Venus takes the books she is reading from the table and walks quickly past me. I do not bother to watch her off. She will only get more nervous to feel my stare on her back.

Seeing as I am already in the library, I want to check whether there is a book to improve my communication skill. Before resorting to going to a therapist, I want to find a way to get better myself. It is for my own future, once I have graduated school and joining the society.

I doubt I would get hired anywhere with my abrasive manner of speech.

Even if I do end up working in my family's company, with my current way of speaking, I won't be able to have a harmonious relationship with my future coworkers.

Despite having been inside this library several times, I do not have prior experience in finding a book to read. To make the matter easier for me, I will go find the nearest librarian for help.

I practice the incoming conversation by muttering to myself, "Where did you put the books on communication?"

All right, that doesn't sound too bad. Now, to find a librarian. Looking between the shelves, I find one librarian crouching down with his back to me.

"Excuse me," I call out to him quietly, remembering the rule in a place like this

Turning to me slowly, the apparent assistant librarian and I squint our eyes at each other.

I make an understanding noise as I say, "I see. Slacking off, is it?"

"It is not," he replies, standing up fully before me, "What brings you here?"

"Books," I reply, glancing at what he is holding, "I doubt you are allowed to read while on duty,"

"My shift starts this evening," pocketing the book in school-issued library apron, he tells me, "I come here to help. Which book do you need?"

"My, don't you have a lot of free time?" I mutter quietly to myself before answering him, "I want books on communication. Either bring them to me or bring me to them,"

"I will bring you to them," after stretching slightly, he tells me to follow him

One of the love interests was Asterism Hamal. He was someone who had dedicated his life to place books first and people second. Despite his priorities, Asterism would still listen to people's trouble and gave them advice if they needed it.

The books I am looking for are on the first floor's shelves. Although, the book Asterism recommends is on one of the top shelves.

"I will go get the stair," Asterism leaves me alone with that parting words

Books are not limited to Asterism's recommendation. I can find books that might be useful myself. The books within my reach are plenty, so I will start by browsing their titles. When I find an interesting book, I will add it to my pile.

After a brief browsing as I wait for Asterism's return with the stair, I find a book which might be helpful. The only problem is... The book is stuck. Did someone glue the books as a prank? I can't pull any of the books out from the shelf. What a bad hobby, that someone has.

Returning with the stair to find myself pulling a book from the shelf without success, Asterism grows suspicious, "What are you doing?"

"What do you think I am doing?" I bite out my response, giving up on the book, "Come and try it yourself,"

Leaning the stair on the shelf in preparation, Asterism comes to take the book I am eyeing. A tug, a pull, a lift. Nothing happens either.

I let out a breath, gladdened to know it is not because of my lack of strength.

Frowning, Asterism raises one foot to step on the shelf as he tries to drag the book.

"What a bad manner for a librarian," I roll my eyes at him, even though Asterism can't see it

Ignoring me, Asterism takes a deep breath then drags the whole shelf down with him.

As a book lover, Asterism's favourite location was the library. Under Asterism's care, the library had become a safe haven for books.

Where in that action tells anything about his love and care for books?

Quick on his foot, Asterism pulls me down with him as I shout at him, "You idiot!!"

Falling to the ground with my back hitting the floor roughly, I grit my teeth to stop the cry of pain from slipping out.

Asterism has covered my upper body with his body from the falling books. Even though my head and stomach are protected, my legs are not. Another reason to stop crying out in pain.

Fortunately, aside from the falling books, the shelf does not fall on us. It is obstructed by another shelf in front of it.

At the same time this is happening, a loud thunder rumbles outside, as the rain falls. More correctly, call it a storm.

To finalise the moment, the lights go off.

Now, I am trapped under Asterism in the dark, without knowing whether people realise the loud noise earlier weren't only from the thunder, but from the falling shelf too.

"Ow..." after quietly muttering that, Asterism whispers to me, "I'm counting on you,"

Before I can demand him to explain himself, I feel him surrendering all his weight on me. Shaking him does not give me a reaction. While frowning, I try to touch his head.

It is hard to get my arms out, but I manage to do so after some manoeuvring. Touching his face, from the chin going up, I lightly touch his eye area.

His eyes are closed.

I cannot reach the crown of his head, but I can still feel something wet flowing down from there. Sticky too. Not thin enough to be sweat, I am rather certain. The other option of it will be...blood.

Another flash of lightning allows me to see the stair he brought here had fallen along with the shelf and hit his head.

Never expect to get my first body count in this way.

"Try to stay alive until you get the help you need. Don't count on me to save you," encouraging the unresponsive body with such words, I let out a sigh

Clearing my throat, I prepare to scream for help. I hope not everyone has evacuated the library. There was hardly anyone here in the first place, though.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 60K 81
Diana is an 18 year old girl about to start her senior year until she bumps into a woman at the bookstore who has quite the personality. The woman ta...
2.4M 201K 94
RANKED #1 CUTE #1 COMEDY-ROMANCE #2 YOUNG ADULT #2 BOLLYWOOD #2 LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT #3 PASSION #7 COMEDY-DRAMA #9 LOVE P.S - Do let me know if you...
553K 22.4K 68
Lilly found an egg on a hiking trip. Nothing abnormal on that, right? Except the egg was four times bigger than supposedly the biggest egg in the wor...
2.4M 85.7K 61
"The Malhotra Brides" is a heart-warming tale that explores the emotional journey of two sisters, Aditi and Pragya, as they navigate their new lives...