Next To Love [2]

By CarlyWritesStories

| Book Two: Sequel | Three years have passed since Melanie and Harry put their past 'relationship' to an end... More

Official Cast
What To Expect + Warnings
Prologue *
Chapter 1 : The Begining Of Something New *
Chapter 2 : Meeting The Best Friends *
Chapter 3 : Acquainted *
Chapter 4 : Cliché Foundings *
Chapter 5 : Last Minute Babysitter *
Chapter 6 : Drunken Night *
Chapter 7 : I Can't Call Him Daddy *
Chapter 8 : Talk Over Drinks *
Chapter 9 : Blackmailed *
Chapter 10 : Back Again *
Chapter 11 : Give Me Back My Panties *
Chapter 12 : Fun At The After Party *
Chapter 13 : New Year, New Us *
Chapter 14 : Friendship Trouble *
Chapter 15 : Love Me, Love Me Not *
Chapter 16 : Marriage Counseling *
Chapter 17 : Bedroom Parties *
Chapter 18 : The Confessional *
Chapter 19 : The Accident *
Chapter 20 : The Doctor *
Chapter 21 : The Charlatan *
Chapter 22 : The Sociopath
Chapter 23 : Surprises And Jealousy
Chapter 24 : Daddy vs Daddy
Chapter 25 : Perfect Moments *
Chapter 26 : It's Official
Chapter 27 : Positive Or Negitive
Chapter 28 : Change Of Plans
Chapter 29 : Haunting Me *
Chapter 30 : Call For Celebration
Chapter 31 : Strange Lovers
Chapter 32 : Patronization
Chapter 33 : Toxic Altercation
Chapter 34 : Elaboration
Chapter 35 : Abrupt Declaration
Chapter 36 : Break-Up Make-Up
Chapter 37 : Investigation Session
Chapter 39 : Bad Memories
Chapter 40 : I Need You
Chapter 41 : Mr. Payne
Chapter 42 : Insecurities
Chapter 43 : Breakdown
Chapter 44 : Change and Compromission
Chapter 45 : Trip To Rochester
Chapter 46 : Family Reunion
PLEASE READ, VERY IMPORTANT
Chapter 47 : Bar Fights

Chapter 38 : Rooftops

3.5K 117 15
By CarlyWritesStories

Melanie

"You got the job."

My radiating excitement was showcased through the quivering smile tugging my mauve lips upwards and the joyous happiness seeping through my doe brown eyes.

"Are you serious?" I squeal as I walk around my dorm room in nothing but the bra and panties I picked out for tonight whilst on the verge of breaking out into my unrehearsed happy dance.

The idea of finally having a stable job at nineteen years old was nearly unbelievable. Doing as little as imagining it is insane. I didn't have a clue how I could possibly thank Harry enough for this opportunity.

"Liam is expecting you to be at his office Monday morning seven AM sharp. He'll elaborate more on how your interference with the company will provide for both you and him."

I seem to have so much more inspiration when Harry is in my life. I despise clichés, but I simply cannot deny the fact that without Harry in my life my life instantly turns dull and gray, but when he's with me I'm filled with colors, some that don't even exist. When I look at him it's like a mirage of color. I'm more than certain I'm able to provide original and magnificent pieces for the company, I can only be hopeful that the marketing people will like them just as much as I do.

As much I would love to keep fantasizing about being able to provide for myself while doing what I love for the rest of my life until I decide to retire, I remembered I had to get ready for Harry and I's date tonight which is approaching soon.

I turn on the heels of my feet and head for my closet, my wet hair drying in the towel resting on top of my head. I dread having to blow drying my naturally wild, nearly raven hair knowing it'll get frizzy in seconds and I'll be left with no option but to straighten it. However, I was in such a positive mood and I was adamant on not allowing anything to burst my bubble of happiness.

My right hand reaches forward, clasping onto the silver handle of my closet and creaking it open. My eyes rank each of the options stored in my closet, wanting to look nice yet still remain comfortable. My lips press into a thin the moment my thick, dark brows knit together pensively before I part my lips and ask, "Should I dress fancy or casual?" to the person on the other line of call.

"Which ever you prefer." His low, husky voice instantly replies with such simplicity.

It's safe to assume Harry is taking me somewhere fancy and I probably should dress up accordingly to our destine surroundings, but the mere thought of slipping on a pair of heels and wearing a tight dress only to be sore and aching once I take them off made me feel nauseous. I might end up feeling like the center of attention and humiliated once we enter a five star restaurant filled with people dressed in only their finest clothes, but I'll let myself regret my choices later.

"Text me when you're outside." I tell Harry and hanged up after hearing him murmur a response.

I settle on wearing my nicer pair of dark washed Levi jeans and tucked a nice, comfortable white tank-top into them before throwing a light black cardigan over it. I finished the outfit off with my red and black Jordan retro ones that I bought yesterday out of impulse when I promised myself I'd only go out to clear my head but ended up spending money instead. Sometimes I hate going out.

I accessorized by applying a minimal amount of makeup on my face and added simple silver hoop earrings. I looked at my phone which read 6:49PM meaning Harry is getting out of work and will possibly pull up to my dorm room building at any given moment. I knew I wouldn't be ready on time if I start straightening my hair now, so I decided to put my hair up into a bun which in the end didn't look bad because it showed off my hoops.

As I applied clear gloss to my lips my phone dinged, signaling a text message and there was no need for me to look to know that it was Harry announcing his arrival.

Without heels I noticed how much faster I made it outside and I lacked less fear of falling on my face and possibly dying, and that isn't even an exaggeration.

As I came closer to Harry's sleek silver Lexus, he finally stepped out his car promptly wearing a suit I never imagined him wearing yet he still pulled it off incredibly well. The suit was pale army green color and it matched his eyes so perfectly, only his eyes were far more beautiful. He doesn't wear a tie, only a black button up shirt beneath his jacket and matching black Chelsea boots. I can't recall him ever wearing a color such as this one, but I don't find myself complaining about being the first to witness that suit worn effortlessly will by this particular thirty-one year old.

Heat settles sheerly upon my cheeks once I'm done shamelessly eyeing Harry only to be met with his intently waiting to meet mine.

A facetious smirk pulls the right corner of his lips upwards, creating an indent simple on his right cheek. "You look beautiful, as always." He compliments.

I let a shy, breathy chuckle escape my glossed lips. "I could say the same for you." I retort rather embarrassingly as I squeeze my phone into the front pocket of my jeans.

"You think I'm beautiful?" Harry patronizingly ponders, his smirk increasing in size along with his already ginormous ego.

I couldn't help but grin at his attempt to make me fill his voyage of compliments towards his physical appearance yet still in the back of my mind I remember how much he actually requires that sort of attention to keep on functioning normally, or as 'normally' as Harry is able to function.

Before any uncalled for tension builds up between us, Harry welcomingly spreads his long, ample arms and sweetly murmurs. "Come here."

I willingly fall into his trap to lure me back into his arms quite literally. His arms wrap around my shoulders and mine embrace his muscular torso due to our height difference, but I find a amusing beauty in it. I inhaled his spicy scent that filled my nostrils like an avalanche of aroma before I felt him place a soft, tender kiss onto my bare forehead before we pull away from the intimate embrace.

"Allow me to open the door for you." Harry politely smiles, placing a hand onto the small of my back where his fingers linger over the dimples of my back and guides me towards the passenger side of his car to open and close the door for me.

"You know... I'm kind of craving Mexican food right now." I comment once Harry is inside and starts the car, the engine roaring to life.

"We could go to a nice authentic Mexican restaurant if you'd prefer." Harry kindly offers, though I can tell he's concealing the fact that he's upset I might interfere with his plans.

I think it about it for a quick moment, but I'm shaking my head to shrug the thought of those delicious Mexican styled empanadas I enjoy so much. "I rather not. I wouldn't want to ruin your plans." I truthfully say.

He snickers. "Wise choice."

I watch as we speed by the sceneries as a an old tune plays softly through the speakers of the car, and I'm impressed when I realize Harry is driving less recklessly than usual. "Where are you taking me, by the way?" I wondrously inquire.

"You'll know once we arrive there." Harry smirks to himself, carelessly taking a single hand off the the wheel and using it to lay his chin upon. "You liked it a lot last time we went there."

The count of dates Harry and I have been on are still in the single digits, but I found myself recalling each one in great detail during the entire ride, making sure to include the ones that weren't officially pronounced as dates as well.

Once we finally pulled up to our destination it took me a brief to remember the tall, luxurious looking building until the memory leaped back into my mind like a tiger pelting for its helpless prey, except less brutally. We were at Harry's Manhattan penthouse.

"Are you able to recall, or shall I refresh your memory?" Harry asks after making his way back to my side and extends his large, defined hand which is waiting for me to latch onto.

"That's won't be necessary." I respond, swiftly taking a hold of his hand, stepping out his car and allow him to lead the way into his penthouse which lies on the highest floor of the tall, transparent building.

Autumn was quickly approaching and though during the day time the air that dawned upon New York City is mostly warm, once the bright sun finishes is shift the night turns its back on the day and provides much chillier breeze. That chilly breeze was felt in abundant waves standing on the rooftop of Harry's penthouse.

"Since I own the top penthouse I also own the rooftop." Harry proudly grins at both the beauty of scenery scene from this height, but also at the thought of the money he has to provide this for himself. "It's quite romantic, wouldn't you agree?"

The busy, lit up city of Manhattan could be effortlessly seen in all its beauty and just above it the stars majestically twinkled against the dark sky like a professionally highlighted cheekbone. But the stone gravel Harry and I stood upon laid a blow up mattress covered in a white bed sheet, various pillows on one end a furry cream blanket resting on the other. A single lantern dimly adorned each side of the blow up mattress as a melting tall white candle lit in the middle of the two trays of food what seems to be Chinese food resting on top of a small wooden ebony bed table with a MacBook ready to play the infamous movie Bonnie and Clyde rested in the center of the mattress.

I had to restrain myself from digging into the pocket of my jeans for my to take pictures of the undeniably most romantic looking night of my life and plastering on all of my social media platforms.

"You really are fishing for compliments tonight, aren't you?" I jokingly retort of a minute of admiring the set up waiting ahead for me... and Harry.

"A thank you would be nice." He sarcastically smiles as his pockets his large, defined hands.

I playfully roll my sparkling golden brown eyes and approach him with a smile full of gratitude. My arms reach upwards and land on the nape of his neck before I stand on my tippy-toes to place a quick, passionate kiss upon his pale lips, leaving his a tad bit glossy which unexpectedly looked dashing on him.

"This is so lovely and thoughtful of you, thank you."

His hands fall out his pockets and aim for my narrow waist where he lightly squeezes. "Well, I did pay someone to set this up for me while I was at work." He confesses with a shameless grin.

Stunts such as this one don't surprise me anymore. All I can do is take it humorously and laugh it off. "You just had to ruin the moment." I chuckle.

He shrugs and pulls my body closer against his. "I've ruined far worse things."

I brush off the concerning comment, the adamancy on keeping up my positive attitude at least till tomorrows sunrise was still intact and Harry's words won't ruin that.

"Does this mean...I don't know," the nervousness rattling my heart couldn't be stopped, and my ribs were only the the weak cage to my wild heart. "That I can call you my boyfriend again?" I timidly pondered, a thin layer of blush creeping upon my olive skin once again.

Harry irritably sighs and I fear what that might mean as he fights the urge to roll his emerald irises. "I'm too old to be labeled as a... boyfriend." He says, minor disgust at the label laced in his tone of voice.

I lowly groan in exasperation, the gasp of my hands around his neck slightly loosen but they remain in place. "Then what do you suggest I should label you as? My man-friend?" I jokingly offer, but Harry takes it somewhat seriously.

"Hm," Harry shrugs, his chin sagging as he frowns his lips. "Kind of has a ring to it, don't you think?" His lips then curve back up into a smile yang showcase his perfectly lined up teeth.

I lightheartedly tug on the ends of his untrimmed hair and for a second I picture him with his shoulder length hair that he once managed to pull off like no one has before. "Answer the question." I whine like a small child whom has just been scolded for eating too much candy.

"I want you back," one of his hands removes itself from my waist and cups my jaw as his thumb amorously caresses my cheek. "But I'm not sure if you still want me the same now that you've discovered how toxic I can be." He spoke smoothly and his expression remained the same: impassive.

"I don't know if I should...but I don't like the idea of you being with someone else either." I honestly admit prior to a moment of silence, apart from the sound of the busy city beneath us.

Clearing his dry throat, he takes a step back, grabbing both my hands as he intently locks gazes with me. "Lets agree on this: neither of us are allow to kiss, have romantic or sexual thoughts, or have sex with anyone else of it isn't each other."

My eyes slightly narrow as a sneaky grin slithers onto my thick lips. "Are you implying we go back to our somewhat normal past monogamous relationship?"

Harry's eyes flicked else where before landing back onto mine. "Yes."

"Then I'm left with no choice but to pronounce you as my boyfriend, Mr. Styles."

He finally lets go of my hand, clenching his jaw as he looks down at me in hopes at not laughing at my playful time and presses his hand onto my back, lightly pushing me towards the dinner prepared in front of us.

I must admit acting like everything is back to normal in Harry and I's rekindled relationship (whatever 'normal' for us was) is nearly impossible. It's hard to look at him, or even do as little as imagine him, and not think of his mental illnesses. It makes me feel like a terrible human being for thinking that way, especially since it's about my boyfriend. It's evident that he's latched on to me because unlike him, I am stable, and that attracts him. Since he isn't stable, things that are fantasize him and that something is me. I'm the cane to that poor back of his.

At least I had better things to occupy my mind with now like doing everything in my power to make sure this retry works and doesn't fail this time instead overwhelming myself with the thought of my fathers idiocy or my mothers ignorance towards a relationship that isn't hers.

All that is left is to hope that in this love story our love is strong enough to overpower anything and everything.

If I don't have hope, then I'm left with nothing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.4K 1.5K 97
Meet Sarah, 20 years, a sweet and tender-hearted young girl, who, despite facing the harshness of life, always puts others' needs before her own. Her...
89.3K 2K 32
Meet Rosy Velesco~ High school cheer leader, in the popular group, having the time of her life, but she's also friends with the school nerd. Meet Ha...
29.4K 1.9K 15
"Harry wishes things were different. He never wanted things to change between them. In fact, before any of this even happened, the thought had never...
1.2M 19.2K 77
*MATURE CONTENT* (18+) PLEASE DON'T COPYRIGHT "Go fuck yourself Harry! this conversation is over you need to leave" I hate him so much, but I seem t...