Love You, Love You Not{Comple...

By Vico96

17 year old James Matherson is forced to move for a 6th time. New city, new neighborhood, and a new school, a... More

We're Moving...Again!
My Guide To Melrose High
As The Bell Rings
Nick & Neil
Exposed!
A Casualty Of Casual Friday
Dive, Duck, & Dodge
The Last Letter
It's Back! I Mean, She's Back!
The Power Of Love
'Bring It'
The Fallen(Part One)
The Fallen(Part Two)
Funeral Bells
The Academic Prizes
To Love And To Lose
A Letter From Melrose University
The Night Of Our Lives
To New Beginnings

Math Tutor

1.4K 40 7
By Vico96

Hello awesome Wattpadders!! how are you today?:) I hope y'all are good!:)

A quick thanks for all the votes, comments, and fans!! I appreciate it very VERY much!!

Now, I never wanted to mention this because I wanted to be treated just like every other writer, but I now realise that it can be used for my benefit.

English is my THIRD language which is why you can find grammar mistakes in my writing, they are few but still present. Do NOT misunderstand. I am NOT asking you for your leniency or complacency! So be as harsh as you want to be! All I ask is instead of just telling me I have grammar mistakes, do you mind pointing them out to me? I'd be immensely grateful!

Sorry to talk for so long, I just wanted to make myself clear. Here's the new installment(UNEDITED), enjoy!:)

Chapter six: Math Tutor

I quickly began to read the letter but was interrupted by the sound of the bell; it was time for class.

"What is it?" asked Neil.

"Nothing." I answered blankly.

"Then, come on," said Neil, "we're going to be late."

"Emm, I think I'm going to hang back. I'll be there in a second, you go ahead." I said.

"No can do dude, Mrs. Lucas is an awesome teacher, but she hates tardiness." said Neil, his long black hair swaying as he spoke.

Frustrated, I folded the letter and stuffed it in my pocket, then followed Neil to English class.

We hurried along the hallway till we reached the swarmed croud of people entering the classroom. Neil and I went in and quickly found seats on a row to the right, beside the windows.

"Welcome class," said Mrs. Lucas. "How was Friday's field trip?"

I looked at Neil. "We went to the museum," he explained.

"It was really...great!" said a few students.

"Seriously?" said Mrs. Lucas shocked. "I hated going to the museum when I was a student here. It was extremely dull."

sighs of relief errupted from almost all the students. "It was so lame!" said the girl sitting next to Neil.

"So boring! A complete waste of time." exclaimed Martha.

A few students nodded in agreement.

"Now class, I know these field trips could be quite boring, but they're never a waste of time. You always learn something new which..."

Mrs. Lucas stopped talking the minute she saw me. "I'm sorry, but who are you?" she asked.

"James," I said so slowly you'd think I had a speach problem. "I'm new. I just transfered."

"Oh, they didn't tell me there would be a new student. Well, anyways, welcome to my class! I'm Ingrid Lucas, the teacher." she said, a kind smile decorating her old, but sweet face. She was a short lady with hazel eyes, and brown hair wrapped up in a bun so tight it made you want to gavel your hand on to see if it'll make a "DING" sound.

"Thanks! I'm James Matherson, the student." I said winking as a few students giggled.

"Character!" she said, "Welcome to Melrose Mr. Matherson. Now onto our lesson, I want you each to write me a one paragraph paper about how to get a date for a 44 year old woman."

The entire class looked up, confused about what the teacher had just said.

"I'm just messing with you guys! I'm only 42!" she said chuckling as the entire class burst into hysterical laughter.

"Alright, alright, settle down! In all seriousness, the topic is love. Write a 3-4 sentence paragraph describing what you think love is. You've got 20 minutes after which I'll be reading one paper out loud, and the rest will be returned to you, graded, tomorrow.

I stared at my blank paper for the first 5 minutes. I had nothing to say. I had never been in love before, I didn't know what it was like. So, I just wrote down what I thought it would be like. I scribbled down whatever I could in hopes of not being called out by Mrs. Lucas.

"James," she said about 10 minutes later. "Come on up, let's see what you have to say about love."

I swallowed my breath in and, heart pumping, stood up and went to stand next to Mrs. Lucas, before the entire class ready to read what I had written.

"We are all born with a gap in our hearts that can only be filled by one thing; love. When we find that one person who can fill that gap in our hearts, we will feel whole and complete. Be it a love full of sadness or happiness, we will always feel alive, regardless of its nature. Afterall, isn't that the definition of love in itself?"

I folded the paper and looked at my fellow classmates. Mrs. Lucas stood there smiling for about thirty seconds until she finally spoke.

"Good job Mr. Matherson," she said smiling at me. "88"

I smiled and went back to sit in my seat while the other students passed their papers forward and handed them to Mrs. Lucas.

That was the last thing we did before the bell finally rang signaling the end of class. I still hadn't read Riley's letter, and I was dying to know what she had written. I quickly packed up my things and hurried outside so that Neil wouldn't be able to catch up, and I'd be able to read the note. I dashed to the only quiet place I knew: the library. I openned the library doors and made my way to the 'Great Battles Of History' section, which was deserted, and looked like it had been so for quite some time. I rummaged through my pockets until I found the letter, then sunk down to the floor and started reading.

"Hey James, it's Riley. I don't know where to start. What happened, or almost happened, between us, it just can't happen again. I have Nick, I really like Nick...

So if you remember, there was a condition to me being your guide. I need a Math retest, and being your guide was the only way I could get it. However, since the incident, we haven't seen each other. So, please, let's not make a big deal over what happened, the trouble's not worth it. We just got caught up in the moment is all...

Meet me in front of the library after lunch, there's still one place I have to show you.

-Riley"

I sat there thinking about it for a minute. Could I stand being around Riley without exceeding my limits? Could we just be...friends?

I got up and made my way out of the library. I checked my schedual and found I had Calculus next. With 5 minutes left till the beginning of class, I hurried down the hallway, past the sports equipment closet, and into Mr. Anderson's classroom.

"Good day class," said Mr. Anderson as we sat down. "I corrected your quizes and..."

"Sorry I'm late!" interrupted Melissa, closing the classroom door as she enterred.

"It's fine Melissa, take a seat." retorted Mr. Anderson. "As I was saying, I corrected your quizes and it is my absolute pleasure to announce that you all passed. Not only that, but two of you got a perfect score. Well done Melissa and James!"

I smiled and winked at Melissa as Mr. Anderson handed me my quiz. He finished handing out the rest of the papers then proceeded on to explaining the lesson. About twenty minutes into it, he had already explained half the lesson, so he decided to allocate the rest of the period to an exercise he gave us, on which we would apply what we had just learned.

With two minutes left, Mr. Anderson assigned us all a couple of homework exercises and dismissed us.

It was finally lunch time. I was going to see Melissa! I reconsidered my plan to ask her out during lunch. "Maybe I should ask her out sometime during a jog or something," I told myself, but decided to stick with my original plan of asking her on a date during lunch...which was now!

Halfway to the cafeteria, I realised my phone was missing. I checked all my pockets and searched my bag for it, then remembered that I had left it in my desk in class. So, I hurried back to Mr. Anderson's classroom. As I reached my destination, I heard voices coming from within the classroom. I recognized the voices as Mr. Anderson and Riley.

I couldn't just interrupt them and go in, so I waited for them to finish their conversation.

"Mrs. Nelson talked to me about your retest, Riley. I'm willing to give you one as long as you fulfill your condition." said Mr. Anderson.

"I understand," nodded Riley.

"Mrs. Nelson says she hasn't got a chance to ask your guide his impressions about Melrose. And unless he gives you a good review, I can't give you that retest. That was the condition, wasn't it?"

"It was. And I am working on that!" replied Riley.

"Good." said Mr. Anderson. "Meanwhile, you might want to look for a Math tutor. Your other grades are quite good. It would be a shame to see your average shrink because of one subject! If you raised your Math grade, you might even have a chance at winning this year's academic prize. It's a good one this year!"

"academic prize?" I thought to myself. "Mind note: ask Neil about the academic prize!"

Their conversation seemed to have ended. I decided to run a small errand before coming back for my phone, just to make sure the coast was clear. I came back about two minutes later. To my luck, the classroom was indeed empty. I went in and headed towards my desk, openned it, and grabbed my phone.

"Looking for something, James? said Mr. Anderson, who was standing at the door with a mug in hand.

"My phone," I said raising it in my hand so that he could see. "I forgot it here."

"It's fine." he said. "James, I have a proposition for you."

I looked up intrigued. "Yes?"

"One of our good students is having a hard time with her Mathematics." said Mr. Anderson.

I immediately knew he was talking about Riley. Who else would it be?! And something told me that deep down, I knew what the proposition was going to be.

"So," continued Mr. Anderson, "I'm looking for a student to tutor her, and I was thinking you could do it. Do you think you can?"

"Emm..I'm sorry, I just don't think I have the time. I've got so much going on and.." I replid.

"I see. I hoped you wouldn't say that. It's all right, I'll find someone else. You can go." he said looking disappointed.

Guilt stricken, I made my way out of the closet, but not before my word-vomit decided to jump into the conversation.

"I'll do it!" I said, standing at the classroom door. "It's fine, I'll make time."

"Are you sure?!" said an extatic Mr. Anderson.

"Yeh," I nodded.

"Great! The student is Riley Briggs. Thank you very much James!" he said.

"No problem," I said, when in fact, it WAS a problem. She had a boyfriend. However, just because she has a boyfriend doesn't mean I can't talk to her, or even be friends with her...

"You might want to hurry if you want to make it to lunch, you have 5 minutes left." said Mr. Anderson. "And James, next time you want to eavesdrop on a conversation, I'd suggest hiding the tips of your shoes behind the door as well."

"Oh...Emm...I'm sorry, I didn't mean..." I said anxiously.

"Don't worry, we've all done it." he said winking. "I'll keep your secret. Now, hurry along!"

I thanked him and ran towards the cafeteria. I had asked Melissa to lunch and completely stood her off! "But, she'll understand. I was with the teacher." I said panting. I made it to the cafeteria, and looked around. There was no sign of Melissa. Neil signaled at me to join him. I took one look around and, frustrated, I went and took a seat next to Neil.

***

"Riley!" called Mrs. Nelson. "Come here."

"Yes Mrs. Nelson?" inquired Riley.

"I've just spoken with Mr. Anderson and, not only is he giving you a retest, he's found you a tutor too!"

"But James never gave you a report. Mr. Anderson just said so."

"Then he must have come to me while you were speaking with Mr. Anderson. James came by and said he loved Melrose and owed it all to you." clarified Mrs. Nelson.

"He did?" said Mrs. Nelson. "Your retest is next Thursday. You've earned it Miss Briggs."

"That's awesome!" Squealed Riley happy-dancing. "Who's my tutor?" she asked.

"He is." said Mrs. nelson simply.

"He who?" asked Riley laughing.

"James Matherson." said Mrs. Nelson as Riley stood there shocked.

Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I spoke enough in the beginning, so I'm not going to make it long. Just Comment, vote, & fan!!

Dedication is to SierraDelacore just because I promissed her one! Peace xD!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.6K 581 20
Getting drugged on GHB at a party is no fun, just ask Carson, she had to move away and is trying to start over. But things don’t get any better when...
1.5K 195 44
Having a big fat crush on two of the best looking guys in school, at different times of course, no issues. After passing out no contact with them, no...
10.1K 345 88
| COMPLETE | [this is the first draft of my story. so, if there's grammatical mistakes and continuity errors, i apologize and i will be editing in th...
206K 6K 61
Josephine Pryce will do anything to get out of Lakeville even if it means simply tutoring her arch-nemesis Flynn Cauley. Except when it comes to him...