Out Running the Alpha

By JordynnCanelis

Britney's life has always been different moving being shuffled through the foster system with her twin Brando... More

The Beginning
Two truths and One Lie
A Star Wars Rerun
An unfortunate event
A Beast or Prince Charming
Clueless
It's Not the Freaking Bachelorette
The Worst Date Ever
The Man Who Would Be King
Characters
Gone Girl
The Beast of Gevaudan
Et Tu Brutus
Grayson's P.O.V
Everythings Not As It Seems
Que the Tragic Backstory
He's Back and She's Gone
Once Bitten and Twice Shy
Bastien's P.O.V
Just A Girl Standing In Fron Of A Boy
Damn Your Love, Damn Your Lies
The Beginning of the End
Family Matters
Masons P.O.V
This is How a Heart Breaks
Just a Fool
Unflattering Truths
The kindly Ones
Monster Mash
Out Of The Frying Pan
Into the Fire
Wonder Woman Wanna Be
Battle Cry
Unavoidable Loss

A Gilded Cage

836 54 5
By JordynnCanelis

"So this is it" Mason said as we pulled up the long gravel driveway in a town car his country estate "This is where I stay most of the time, but I several different houses around the world".

"So what makes this your favorite?" I asked curiously as he helped me out of the car.

"It's where I grew up" He shrugged "I used to play in these gardens and it seems silly, but being here makes me feel almost human again".

"I don't think that's silly" I said taking his hand as we walked inside. I could imagine that after living for centuries it would be hard to feel human again so it would make sense that he would seek out places that did that.

He took my hand in his and I let him lead me up the winding stairs in his massive house. The interior of the house was a strange mixture of old world elegance mixed with modern sophistication. "I hope you don't mind, but I called ahead when you agreed to come stay with me and had a room set up for you and I sent some people out to get you some clothes and toiletries" He said sheepishly looking more like a twenty year old guy rather than a centuries old creature.

"Thank you" I smiled "I was wondering if you might be able to help me with something while I'm here".

He stiffened as if I had caught him off guard "What do you need my help for?".

"Well I don't know enough about this world that exists outside of the normal human one and if I am going to have a chance at surviving in it I need to know more. I need to know about where I come from and what I can do" I said nervously not wanting to talk about what had happened on the beach with bastien, but needing to know why it had happened. I had killed a man and I couldn't even remember doing it. "Part of the reason I agreed to come with you was that I hoped that you might be able to help me learn more about what I am and where I come from" I said nervously.

For a moment I thought I saw him stiffen, but I must have imagined it because in the next moment he was smiling warmly. "Of course I'll do anything I can to help" he said smoothly "Unfortunately I don't know much about that myself, but there might be something that can help you in my library. Sadly though the were's keep their secrets guarded from my kind, but there might be something in there that can help you".

I flushed in relief the uncertainty that I had felt fading away. Mason opened up a large wooden door at the end of the hall. "I had the servants prepare the west wing suite for you" he said gesturing to an elegant bedroom that had the strange mix of old world elegance and new world luxury that was found throughout the rest of the house.

"You didn't have to do this for me" I said embarrassed.

"It was no trouble" Mason waved away my protests "I want you to be comfortable here. I want you to be comfortable with me". He paused trying to gauge my reaction before saying "I'm sure you must be tired so I'll leave you. If you need anything I'll be in my study in the east wing".

I smiled at him realizing the gravity of the choice I had made. By choosing to come here with Mason I had basically chosen him over Greyson. While I couldn't be with Greyson anymore I hadn't meant to choose Mason. I didn't know enough about him or his motivations to make that choice. Still I needed to be here to try and figure out what had happened on that beach with Bastien and if the Weres knew then they weren't going to tell me so Mason was my best bet.

Feeling claustrophobic I wandered into the gardens outside the manor needing to feel the elements around me. After that night with Bastien I felt much more mercurial and found that the only way to feel grounded and in control was to be surrounded by the elements. I shed my shoes letting my feet sink into the cool grass instantly feeling better. The wind whiped playfully around me and I held out my hand so I could feel it dancing through my fingers.

"She used to do that you know" a voice said interrupting my calm. I turned around to see a lanky brunette stalking towards me. Her gaze was appraising as if sizing me up. I stood still unsure of what to do as she circled around me. Finally she let out a low whistle "You look exactly like her you know it's incredible really".

"I'm sorry, but who are you?" I asked feeling slightly annoyed.

"I'm Camille" she said by way of an answer. While I had a limited experience with vampires it was clear that Camille was one. With her languid grace and cat like movements there was no way she was merely human and there was an agelessness with which she held herself that indicated that she was a vampire. "Forgive me if I stare I was a dear friend of Antoinette before her untimely death. I'd heard the rumors of course, but it's hard to prepare yourself to see someone who looks exactly like a friend who's passed." she ran a finger along my cheek and I flinched away from her touch.

"I'm sorry for your loss, but I am not Antoinette" I said firmly "My name is Brittney".

"Oh I know" She smiled taking my arm and leading me further into the gardens. "Still You've managed to be interesting and it's been along time since anything interesting happened. Come walk with me".

I wanted to protest but her grip was tight on my arm. She glanced behind her as if to look for someone following her as we headed into the large hedge maze towards the back of the garden.

Finally Camille stopped at a marble bench deep in the heart of the maze. "Good now we won't be overheard" she said sitting down. I realized that where we were going was far enough away from the house that if i screamed for help even Mason wouldn't be able to hear me.

"Listen I really don't want any trouble" I said backing away from suddenly realizing that I had allowed myself to become cornered by a strange vampire.

"I'm not going to hurt you, you silly little thing" she laughed as if she was pleasantly surprised "If I wanted to hurt you I would have simply snapped your neck when I first saw you. No I brought you here because I need to warn you about Mason".

"Warn me about Mason?" I asked kind of confused.

"I can't tell you everything. He would kill me if he even knew that I was talking to about this, but he has ulterior motives for bringing you here" she said in hushed tones.

I rolled my eyes "Of course he does. I'm not some starry eyed idiot. I figured he had his own reason for wanting me here, but it doesn't matter. I needed to get away from all the Were drama. Besides I killed the most powerful alpha the world has ever seen so I think I can handle Mason".

Camille laughed coldly "Bastien may have been a powerful Were, but Mason has been around for centuries. He is cunning, cruel, and he wants you. He will stop at nothing till he has you. He may seem charming and kind right now, but that's just cause things are going his way right now. The minute things change I guarantee you he won't be so kind".

"Why are you telling me this" I asked skeptically.

"Because a long time ago Mason hurt someone that I cared deeply about. Keeping him from getting you will not only keep him from hurting another person, but is the perfect revenge. He took someone away from me now I'm going to keep you from him" Camille smiled wickedly and I felt my blood chill.

"Why don't you just kill me" I asked softly "It seems like less trouble".

"Oh I thought about it" she replied evenly "But you look to much like Antoinette for me to hurt you. Besides I don't need to kill you to keep you from him. You seem like a smart girl. Once you see Mason for who he really is you won't be able to run fast enough".

I stood awkwardly eager to be away from her. There was something incredibly unsettling about being looked at like a prized pet. "Thank you for your warning. I appreciate it" I said stiffly.

"No you don't yet" She smiled serenely "But you will. And when you realize who Mason is find me and I'll help you get away".

I smiled unsure of what to say before walking quickly out of the maze. Thankfully Camille didn't follow after me. I needed time to think about what she had said. I had no illusions that mason wasn't a killer. He was a vampire after all. However Camille had said that Mason had killed someone that she cared about so she could have just been lying to hurt him. Either way though I still planned to be wary from now on. I just wanted needed access to his library to find out more about what I was. Once I either had my answer or it became clear that I wouldn't find it here I would leave. Besides as pissed as I was at Greyson I did miss my father and my friends. I was not going to let Greyson run me out of my home forever because he was an asshole. 

I straightened my back a renewed sense of determination filling me. I headed straight to the library determined to start my search. The library was even larger than the one at Bastiens complex and for a moment I wondered how I could ever hope to find anything amongst the mass of books. After a brief perusal of the library I found the section dedicated to the supernatural and found a book on Were's and dove in.

After a couple hours I'd been forced to move on to a new book since it didn't look like there was anything pertinent to me in the old one. "How's everything going in here?" Mason asked startling me.

"Jesus christ you scared me" I said clutching my chest.

"I know" he smiled wickedly "I can hear your heart pounding. It's incredibly intoxicating".

I flushed which caused a hungry look to flash across his face and I recalled Camille's warning. I placed the book back on the shelf as an excuse to move away from Mason.

"What are you doing here?" I asked hesitantly trying to change the subject.

"I came to get you for dinner" He said inching closer.

"Oh thank you, but I'm really not hungry" I tried to smile, but it felt more like a grimace.

"Well I guess I'll let you stay here this time, but tomorrow you will join me for dinner" his tone was light, but his eyes were cold. "I'll have the chef keep a plate warm for you just in case you change your mind" he said leaning in to kiss my cheek before leaving.

I shiver ran down my spine at his touch, but I wasn't sure weather it was from fear or pleasure. I smiled weakly at him as he left the room.

Trying to find something to get my mind off Mason I turned back to the book shelf. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a small tattered looking old book at the bottom of the shelf. Since the large glossy books hadn't given me what I needed I decided it was time for a new approach.

I grabbed to book and settled down in a large leather chair. My heart stopped though when I saw the first page. In loopy script at the top of the page it said the private diary of Antoinette Baudin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note: Hey guys sorry it took so long to update, but I finally did it! I hope you guys enjoyed it :) As always please comment with thoughts opinions and ideas. A big shout out to @ChelseaAnderson490, @hollydavischicks, and @JanelleEarl. As always comment and vote for your chance at a shout out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.9K 1.1K 66
|| Highest Ranking = 68 in vampire|| 15k reads-24/03/2018|| ||26k reads- 10/12/2018 Bk1- Forced To Be With Him Julia Tanner was the youngest of two...
1.8K 324 51
In a world marked by magic, darkness, and so much blood. Kayla, a teen wolf, is stuck in an underground silver dungeon because of her family's mis...
2.9K 185 21
intro in first chapter. read to find out. but.... Amber is a very rare werewolf, she gets teased very day by the same two boys, her life is a crazy s...
150K 4.9K 18
CC at 18 years old has been with her boyfriend Jake for two years. But like every relationship they have their own problems.Big ones really but CC al...